web analytics

Magpie Gives An Honest Assessment Of Saturday’s Performance

Dwight Gayle’s impact on Newcastle’s style of play was immediately evident yesterday against Burnley. Dwight played very well in just his third start of the season and his first action since suffering a hamstring injury against Wolves in January.

The match at Molineux saw Gayle at close to his best as he was a constant thorn in their side. He ran the channels, found space, and provided a continual presence up the pitch, albeit for only 30 minutes.

We saw that yesterday as well against Burnley, but without the sharpness we saw against Wolves. That fine-tuning to Dwight’s game will only come with more time in the team.

The Chronicle has conducted an interviewed with Dwight who is actually spot on with his assessment of yesterday’s match.

This is what Gayle had to say about the positives and negatives of yesterday’s proceedings:

“It was frustrating not to get the win, and we didn’t score again. But there were some positives to take from the game.

“The fact we tried a new formation with four at the back, so it was pivotal that we were solid at the back to start with.

“We kept a clean sheet, and yes, we do want to score loads of goals but this is a base to start from.

“We created chances but lacked the finish in the final phases with either the pass or the shot.

“But obviously I was happy myself to get my first start at St James’ this season.

“To get 90 minutes was good for me. It was something for me to be happy about.”

The hope is that Dwight can be the man to provide some of the clinical finishes for Newcastle in the final 10 games. While he’s not a top Premier League striker, he is capable of getting on a streak.

With Dwight, he’ll only get better as his match sharpness returns. If over the next few weeks he can get back to his best, there could be a few goals to come from the poacher.

However, he can’t be relied on to fully carry the load. It’ll still have to be a team effort, and hopefully, this system will get the best out of Allan Saint-Maximin, Miguel Almiron, and Valentino Lazaro.

Maybe even Joelinton can find some success out wide. Though, at this point, we’d prefer the Brazilian to be used as a substitute over the next few matches.

Having Allan Saint-Maximin on the left and either Ritchie or Lazaro on the right could be the best way forward over the next pivotal month of fixtures.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 0-0 Draw Against Burnley?

• Miguel Almiron (39%, 496 )
  • Jonjo Shelvey (16%, 202 )
  • Matt Ritchie (12%, 153 )
  • Dwight Gayle (9%, 109 )
  • Martin Dubravka (7%, 93 )
  • Javier Manquillo (6%, 74 )
  • Joelinton (5%, 60 )
  • Federico Fernandez (2%, 26 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (2%, 21 )
  • A. Saint-Maximin (1%, 13 )
  • Danny Rose (1%, 12 )
  • Isaac Hayden (1%, 11 )

Total Voters: 1,270

Loading ... Loading ...

• griff

Mar 1, 2020 at 11:59 AM

It’s going to be a tight run-in people. Most can see this now. Regardless of how we express ourselves, even if we hope to plummet to scrape the leech off our backs, we are all fans. Be kind to one another as it may get brutal soon…

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:01 PM

Gayle needs a goal and the time to get to his best. Never been fully convinced with him at PL level, always struck me as a player who doesn’t fully believe in himself at top level.

At championship level he’s lethal. Given a few games and a goal or two he could be the X factor that keeps us up.

• giimps

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:02 PM

We were the better team yesterday,against a good well drilled group of players, they came for a point at least, and got that point, if we had sat back like we had all season, I think we would have probably lost this game.
    Pushing higher up the pitch actually makes it easier on our defense , not having 10 back allowed us to pass and move forwards down the wings and through the middle……they offered very little threat, we were unlucky not to score on a few occasions, if we stick with this formation and style of play but with ASM in and possibly Lazaro we will score and be safe, now that he knows our defense might not crumble being down to 4 from 10 is a start.
    IMHO

• Reilly

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:05 PM

😆

• Jib

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:06 PM

giimps
    was you opinion “humble” or “honest” ?

• Jib

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:07 PM

your even

• lesh

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:10 PM

Geordietom

You may not have noticed that froggy had aimed his PR tag at Carltooon and my response was as follows:

‘Toon22

‘You do realise that Carltoon is an active supporter of The Magpie Grouo?

‘Choose your targets wisely. Keep friends on side – don’t pi$$ them off’

To which froggy responded by saying ‘fair enough’

You may not have noticed that I’ve passed similar comments to him about others who in my opinion, he’s wrongly targeted.

Anyway, enough.

Did you get to see the Eric Burdon programme?

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:10 PM

Giimps

Completely agree we were better than Burnley who came to take a point and got it.

We were also on the wrong end of every deflection.

Good to see the long overdue change to actually trying to get bodies forward.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:16 PM

Lesh

Remind me the name of that programme it sounds worth a watch.

Also I think the confusion between yourself and Tom is that it’s hard to read tone on here.

He used the term ‘even Lesh’ which gives the impression that you would not normally comment on such things. Then when you pointed that out to him he feels you’re in some way offended. Something over nothing really.

• Jib

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:20 PM

droppy
    What was yer tone when ya caalled us a werky ticket like

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:24 PM

Jib

I’d say the tone was calm with a hint sarcasm and a pinch of mirth.

• MagpieRanger

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:25 PM

How are we going to stay up of we can’t score? It isn’t rocket science. Our best hope is for Andy Carroll to come back into the team.

• Jib

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM

Oh dear those nice Mackems are losing at Coventry City
    😛

• #cans

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:29 PM

Why would a toon supporter watch the mackems 😕

• Anglo Saxon

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:31 PM

MagpieRanger how many goals has AC scored since he came here.

• Anglo Saxon

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:32 PM

cans They are his last employer’s mate.

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:36 PM

Giimps, I agree with you mate. We were the better team but we’re desperate for somebody who can score goals.
    Joelington looked better out wide than up top, but I’d sooner have St Max out there.
    21 shots and only four on target tells its own story.
    That said, I didn’t expect Gayle to be on fire first game back – players seldom are – but this formation with Gayle has to be worth persevering with. The more we play it the better we’ll get.
    Jonjo looked decent first game back and could’ve had an assist first half with that lovely through ball with the outside of his foot. Quality.
    Miggy was Miggy. None stop running, tackling like a terrier and playing the best football imo. He got my motm.
    We should stick to this formation on Tuesday night at West Brom. It’s another game to get used to the system and another 90 mins for Gayle, who’ll be keen to score v West Brom. Against a Championship side – albeit a very good one – we know he scores for fun at that level.
    Not a great game but one that shows this may be the way forward.

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:37 PM

Cans, for the buzz of watching them lose.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:43 PM

Bobbybee

Was the atmosphere as flat as it seemed?

Oh and my Dad is home from his back op and said to thank you for wishing him well.

• Anglo Saxon

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:44 PM

Bobby dubs, after that knock limped through the rest of the match, needs to be rested our only saviour.

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:51 PM

Good to hear he’s home mate, best wishes going forward.
    The atmosphere wasn’t great until we turned up the heat later on. With so much negativity around the club the players are going to have to give the fans something to cheer about by the look of things, but let’s be honest, it’s been like that for a few years now. At 62, my days of climbing on the crash barrier to lead the singing has long gone. I do my bit, but the young uns need to take the lead in that. 😀 Doesn’t take much to stir them tbf and when we started piling it on towards the end the crowd responded.
    It’s tough. We’re a average side being led by a poor manager owned by a knob – but we are what we are.

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:56 PM

Anglo, he wasn’t really tested yesterday and Darlow will probably play in the cup Tuesday anyway. I think hell be fine by next match mate.
    Burnley were wasting time after 20 SECONDS yesterday, they got what they came for.
    The only bright side yesterday was our lass making it nine out of nine games without seeing us concede or lose a game! 😀 By anybodies reckoning that’s bordering on miraculous!

• Jimmy Mac74

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:56 PM

In defence of Jib…

I always look for the makem result. I come from a town which is roughly a 50/50 split of support between us and the unwashed. Always nice to see them get hammered.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:57 PM

Bobbybee

Cheers mate.

Was genuinely interested in the atmosphere as I wasn’t sure if it was the stream I watched. Not one for the purists like.

Glad your lads kept up her run of no losses or goals against, you have to keep taking her ha ha ha.

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:59 PM

That would be a great record for Liverpool, Chelsea, City etc, let alone for a team like Newcastle. Can’t say I’m superstitious either – touch wood – but it is becoming uncanny. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:00 PM

I think that some of the booing might have been aimed at the ref, he didn’t do us any favours.

• Anglo Saxon

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:02 PM

Bobby, If the wife is a lucky charm, think we all have to chip in to keep her going.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:03 PM

MagpieRanger

The term Rocket Science is now old school.

The in crowd now use UFO Design Science! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:04 PM

But on the bright side we did manage to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory, what a manager! 😉

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:05 PM

EGB

Ha ha ha UFO design science I like it

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:06 PM

I’m watching Sunlun unashamedly – I love watching them get beat.

Droppy, tbh she’s not a big football fan, comes from a rugby family, and I feel guilty asking her to take me, but my mate’s let me down lately and she’s filled in at the last moment. I can’t go on my own obviously so she’ll always fill in when needed. Might have to find somebody else before long.
    That record can’t last forever. I’m amazed it’s lasted this long

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:08 PM

I hope that Allan plays the full match on Tuesday so that we can really see if he’s up to it.

I think he will be.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:10 PM

Bobbybee

Fair enough mate, but it’s only ten more games. Tell her you will see what’s available in the transfer window.

Hope you get sorted as I know it’s hugely important to you to keep going.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:11 PM

Bobby

I think we should get her into the dressing room before KO to give them a pep talk, she has to be more inspiring than you know who. 😉

• carltoon

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:11 PM

Jib disappointed, it wasn’t you, because he had a great tan, and was very pleasant. Ha ha. Toon22 did apologize, so that’s fine by me. We’ve always been ok. Like I say I’m too old to be bothered.

• Jib

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:14 PM

Carltoon
    it looked fake to me

• Anglo Saxon

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:16 PM

Could have been Jib with his Max Factor fake tan.

• toon22

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:16 PM

JIB

Have we been sold yet ?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:16 PM

Bobby
    There was some chat ages ago about the wheelchair section and you weren’t to keen on going down that path but isn’t worth reconsidering?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:19 PM

Carltoon

He didn’t he replied fair enough to Lesh.

But he has a chance now to actually apologise to you.