web analytics

Returning Magpie Ready To Go For West Brom If Called Upon

Javier Manquillo was one of the four players forced off through injury in the 3-0 defeat to Leicester City on New Year’s Day. The Spaniard was the worst off of the four and finally made his return yesterday in the 0-0 draw against Burnley.

Manquillo has shone this season playing as part of a back five in the wing back role. So his performance yesterday in a back four was quite encouraging.

The Spaniard got forward quite a bit and did an admirable job marking Burnley winger Dwight McNeil, who had played very well against us in the 1-0 defeat at Turf Moor.

Having Javier back in the side gives Bruce a reliable option for the remainder of the season as long as the 25-year-old remains fit.

Speaking to nufc.co.uk after the match yesterday, Manquillo is happy to get a full ninety minutes under his belt and claims he can do it again on Tuesday at West Brom if called upon:

“Well, I’m available for (Tuesday’s game), like everybody else. Everybody would like to be involved (on Tuesday), but it’s the manager who will have to choose.

“I’m very pleased (with today) because it just shows that all of the work I’ve done during the rehab has been worth it. I was able to cope for 90 minutes with no problems, so I’m very happy with that.

“(To return) for this game was more or less my plan. It’s true that it was a little bit of a complicated injury in the early stage, but it doesn’t matter – the important thing is that I have come back stronger and now I’ve got through 90 minutes without any problems, and that is very important for me.”

Manquillo also spoke about yesterday’s disappointing draw against Burnley in which we extended our goalless run to four games. His comments are very familiar to what another returning Magpie, Dwight Gayle, had to say after the match.

Javier is very pleased with the effort but concedes that scoring goals in the new system was a focus this week. In that regard, Newcastle did not prove successful.

However, the 25-year-old vows that he and his teammates will continue to work to try and get the attack going. This is what he had to say about the mood in the dressing room after not scoring in another match:

“I don’t think it affects the changing room too much – we are working in every training session to try and not only score but score and win. If it doesn’t go, we have to keep trying – that’s the only way we can do it.

“To be fair, we had so many chances today to get something and more. But in the end, football is about scoring goals, and today wasn’t the day. We need to keep trying.

“We changed the system, but we were playing in our stadium in front of our supporters, and we knew we needed to win this game or try to win it. We couldn’t do it, but still, it was a good performance.”

Newcastle welcomed back both Javier and Jonjo Shelvey yesterday while Dwight Gayle also got his first start since injuring his hamstring in January. Isaac Hayden and Matt Ritchie also came back into the team after not starting the previous two.

Hopefully, these veteran Magpies can be the ones to lead Newcastle to safety in the coming months. They’ve all been on Tyneside since our first season back in the Premier League with just Javier not being part of the Championship squad.

Having them fit and able to contribute will be vital to us staying above the drop zone in the next ten games. Let’s hope these familiar faces can rally the troops for the season’s final stretch.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 0-0 Draw Against Burnley?

• Miguel Almiron (39%, 496 )
  • Jonjo Shelvey (16%, 202 )
  • Matt Ritchie (12%, 153 )
  • Dwight Gayle (9%, 109 )
  • Martin Dubravka (7%, 93 )
  • Javier Manquillo (6%, 74 )
  • Joelinton (5%, 60 )
  • Federico Fernandez (2%, 26 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (2%, 21 )
  • A. Saint-Maximin (1%, 13 )
  • Danny Rose (1%, 12 )
  • Isaac Hayden (1%, 11 )

Total Voters: 1,270

Loading ... Loading ...

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:58 PM

Good performance by Javier, he’s a keeper. (not a GK)

• WLtoon

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:05 PM

Well done the Sky Blues, 17 games unbeaten and could pocket me a nice little profit if they win the league. not a bad bet at 25/1

• Assassins Inc

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:15 PM

Ding, Ding, bus time.

Being only five points clear, do we now forget about the FA Cup and now concentrate on Premier survival?
    Maybe throw on a forward from the 23s and a winger or midfielder, see how they do.
    I mean, why not have a look.

• geordietom

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:18 PM

lesh …

i got the Eric Burdon on sky catch up not watched it got company , will watch it later …

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:19 PM

Bill, I need pushing in my chair mate, regardless of where I sit. I don’t like being lowdown because my neck isn’t right when I have to look up all game. I need to be above the action looking down to be comfortable.
    I’ve been where I am now for over a decade so I’m happy there. If it ever becomes impossible I’ll address that when and where. Until then, I love where I sit. I’ve got so much leg room and nobody actually in front of me blocking my view. There are some safety bars but I don’t even notice them anymore. Tbh I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. I sit in the East Stand for cup games, on the centre circle, but I can’t keep doing that. It’s too cramped for me with having no kneecaps! Where I am now is perfect.

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:21 PM

Assassins, not for me mate. Go for the cup and see how far we can get. Not going to win anything else in the near future so why not?

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:23 PM

De Gea made a right mess of that goal for Everton. 😀 He’s gone backwards this season – great innit?!!

• MagpieRanger

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:24 PM

Can see West Brom beating us Tuesday since you know, we can’t score…

• geordie157

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:27 PM

Thought everyone was a 6 yesterday at best, except Almiron maybe a 7 if I was feeling generous.

Good to have Manquillo back, was decent just needed better crossing from him.

Rose though, can see there’s the obvious quality there but he looks a shadow of the player from the last few years. Not like we have an alternative left back option though if playing 4 at back.

I still want to see a front 4 of Gayle, with Joelinton, Almiron and Saint-Maximin just behind.

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:30 PM

Thing with West Brom is promotion must take priority. They’re more likely to field a weakened side than we are, because they won’t want to risk injuries to key players for the run in.
    For us, it gives us chance to try the new formation again and it’s game time for injured players coming back. Shelvey, Gayle and Manquillo will all benefit from Tuesday night, win lose or draw.

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:32 PM

Oh dear, Pickford failing to get those wee arms to the ball. What a disaster. Any top lever keeper should be saving that. England’s No 1? You’re having a laugh! 😀

• toon22

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:33 PM

Would like to see us play Gayle against West Brom
    He should get goals as its his level
    Would also like to see at least one kid in the starting 11

• lochinvar

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:34 PM

Six points off Burnley in 10th
    and watch how Everton and clambering up the table beating Man Utd 1-0 at the moment
    and Wolves equalise away at Spurs

Just feels like we’re not really competing at the level we should be

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:37 PM

We’re lucky to have Dubs in goal. Alright, he has the odd error in him or he’d be at a top European or PL club, but overall his performances have won us games we probably deserved to lose. In a tight season, that’s priceless.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:40 PM

welcome back Javier but who scores?

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:45 PM

We were not only odds on favourites for relegation in August, we were favourites to finish bottom – big favourites.
    Didn’t see the possession stats from yesterday, but from what I witnessed we must’ve had more of the ball overall. The thing is, if we had a striker who could score goals, things wouldn’t look half as bad as they do now. We’d be further up that table and not worrying. But, as I say, we are what we are and we’ll have to make do. Still think we can stay up though and then in the summer we need to add the firepower we’ve needed all season.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:46 PM

Can we compete against WBA?

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:46 PM

Reilly 😀 😀

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:50 PM

1-1 halftime – Everton v Manure. Two bad errors from goalkeepers for both goals.

• investinyouthtoon

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:57 PM

For a change he may be spot on with those remarks. As important dubs is and had been in keeping us in close games, with a decent striker who would prove worthless changing close games into vital wins. Shame those who run the club know better than everyone else with their vast knowledge on all things football, and they wonder why the club is the way it is. The fantastic away support deserve so so much more

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:57 PM

Roy Keane – “I don’t care what people say, Pickford ain’t a good goalkeeper”.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:06 PM

Bobby

I think it was 56/44 in our favour.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:06 PM

A new striker in January was never going to happen simply because of the squad numbers. If we could’ve sold someone it might have happened, but we have four strikers earning decent money and no way would Ashley sanction bringing in another when it would mean another player on big wages sitting the season out.
    If we added another striker to the squad we would’ve had to leave somebody out because the 25 man squad is full. He’s not the type of owner to let somebody earn 40-50k a week and not even be in contention for a place.
    That’s not me defending Ashley, it’s me being realistic and practical.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:09 PM

Cheers, Bill. Like I said earlier, if we’d scored a goal and won all would be well. Gayle needs to step up and take this chance he’s been given to take the striker’s role for the rest of the season. It’s in his own hands now, he needs to show he’s capable.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:38 PM

Anybody giving Villa a chance in the Cup Final later? Can’t see how they can win it personally but then, it’s a funny old game to quote Jimmy Greaves.
    Oh how we could do with a Jimmy Greaves right now. One of the most natural goalscorers I’ve ever seen play. Right place, right time over and over again.

• lesh

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:41 PM

Droppy

The first programme I mentioned as worth a look was Eric Burdon

• lesh

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:47 PM

Droppy

And the second was Reginald D Hunter’s Songs of the South. If memory serves me well, I think he interviews Booker T and AN Other outside Stax Records building in episode 2.

As a good insight into American music, prejudice etc, it’s worth a look.

I suspect your dad’s really like both programmes and the Burdon one in particular.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:49 PM

Wow, great save by Pickford. (That hurts my mouth saying that) 😀

• lesh

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:50 PM

Jib

I agree with you, the cabby’s ‘tan’ was out of a bottle – look closely and you’ll see it’s peeling off near the front, where his couple’s slipped!

🙂

Hope that’s what you wanted me to post.

😉

• Nufc-83

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:50 PM

Toon you keep asking people are we sold yet? Do you think we are in advanced negotiations or something? Most people don’t believe the sale is progressing any further at this moment in time unless you have become ITK?

• investinyouthtoon

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:51 PM

Bobbybee with willems dummett etc injured for the season Bruce could have made changes to remove them from pl squad list in January and add a striker who would have made an impact.

Surely Bruce would have known that a striker was required in January, and if he was honestly thinking the club do not need a striker then that must be evidence to show he is massively incompetent or not up to the standards of a pl coach.

• lesh

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:51 PM

Chit!

@30

where his couple’s slipped! =

* where his touppe’s slipped!

• lesh

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:52 PM

@31

Better still, toupee even

😐

• investinyouthtoon

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:53 PM

The whole country can see if you have a strike force who has only scored one all season that you do desperately require a new striker to give the team a change in fortune. Why can Bruce and or his assistants not see this?

• Jib

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:55 PM

wig is easier

• lesh

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:56 PM

investinyouthtoon

Wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce was faced with Barnes and Charnley telling him he’s got strikers and get on with it.

They’re pig ignorant and only see players as being like chess pieces. A striker’s a striker so that’s that

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:57 PM

Investinyouth, he did that though to fit in the two who came in on loan mate. Took those two out and added Lazarro and Bentaleb.

• lesh

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:59 PM

Jib

I’ve got me Euro head on today but yes, wib would’ve been easier.

• Nufc-83

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:00 PM

Stick with same formation next week however swap rose and Richie. Then replace Joel with maxi and Lozaro into Rm. Job done go with that for rest of the season we will get out of trouble.