web analytics

Bruce Thrilled With Magpie As Newcastle Strike Force Get FA Cup Recognition

Miguel Almiron had an outstanding performance against West Brom in the FA Cup fifth round. His two sublime finishes in the first half gave Newcastle a comfortable 2 goal cushion at the break.

His second goal came in added time off a deft backheel from strike partner Joelinton. That goal moved Miguel into the lead for Newcastle with 6 for the season.

Both Almiron and Joelinton have been named to WhoScored’s FA Cup Team of the Round for their performances on Tuesday.

Steve Bruce’s change in formation at Burnley has allowed him to use Miguel Almiron in his preferred position over the past two weeks.

Miguel played behind Dwight Gayle over the weekend but was lethal when linking with Joelinton on Tuesday.

Bruce has spoken to nufc.co.uk about Almiron and how this new formation has allowed the Paraguayan to shine recently.

“We’ve played him in his best position, for me, which is probably off the front. The last two games, in particular, he’s looked like a really, really good player.

“It’s brought him back to life again. He took his goals brilliantly well the other day.

“It took him a long time to get up and running, but you cannot deny the kid’s a very, very good player, who’s a manager’s dream. Running-wise, every statistic he wins – whether it’s training or in a match.

“He’s one of those delights to manage. He’s never a problem – he trains and plays with a smile on his face. You want people like that to do well, and he’s arguably our best player.

“I think it’s important he plays in his position. I think he’s played to a side to help the team and the balance of the team, but we’ve certainly seen the best of him over the past couple of matches.”

Bruce moved Almiron back to the right after he had scored against Wolves in January. The goals quickly dried up over the next five Premier League matches as he continued on the right wing.

With Matt Ritchie and Valentino Lazaro the likely choices on the right going forward, that’ll allow Almiron to continue as a second striker behind either Dwight Gayle or Joelinton.

Hopefully, we’ll see a few more of the wonderful finishes Miguel has provided this season.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Southampton On Saturday?

• Win (45%, 703 )
  • Loss (29%, 458 )
  • Draw (26%, 405 )

Total Voters: 1,566

Loading ... Loading ...

• wardy06

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:50 PM

A key signing this summer has to be to find a CDM with extraordinary legs who can cover Shelvey’s running in the middle of the park. If we can find him, that’ll free him up to find those passes through to the attack. Easier said than done

• Bills Son Is Back

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:13 PM

On fans going missing after games…

Me and my Dad went down to Wembley on the Lawson buses from Wallsend for the 1974 cup final v Lpool.

We got the tickets from my brother who was playing for Burnley – but they were in the Lpool end.

I swapped my tickets down there with a Lpool fans but my Dad wouldn’t because there was a warning that year about forgeries.

Anyway, after the game which of course we lost 3-0. my Dad didn’t turn up at the meeting point and after an hour I got the tube to my Uncle’s where we were staying before the bus left at 10pm. At about 9pm the phone rang and it was a Lpool supporter saying they’d taken my Dad into London for a commiseration drink – and he was still there and slaughtered. He’d given them about half a dozen numbers before he’d got it right.

We had to go to the pub and pick him and we caught the bus back with minutes to spare. He snored all the way back and I had to wake him up when we got back to Wallsend.

Happy, happy days 🙂

• IrishRob

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:13 PM

Told ye Joelinton was the second best player on the pitch!

• Our Toon

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:15 PM

Wardy

I’d be very disappointed if shelvey started for us next season, his overall play is not good enough, he has his moments in games where the odd cracking pass comes off, lack of mobility though, brain dead moments where he switches off are ultimately not good enough.

He’s a decent player for a promoted side, but if we want to kick on next season then the likes of shelvey are at best squad players.

• Assassins Inc

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:19 PM

In the summer we go back to Atlanta not for Martinez Migs old strike partner which wouldn’t be bad but there midfielder with the same last name.
    Gonzalo Nicolás Martínez, scored more goals from midfield than Josef up front.
    At 26 right age. Argentine international, pace, energy, speed, skill and scores goals.
    Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsIoPxyXipg

• IrishRob

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:27 PM

Our toon here here! Even when he plays well hes not playing that well, people are blinded by a goal or a Hollywood pass, and completely ignore the unwillingness to tackle, the slowness to get to a man on the ball, the constant back passes, the switching off omg the switching off, his lack of speed, and even the long passes that dont work out, which are too regular for my liking also.

Hes just not a great player, hes a good squad player and he has definitely pulled a game or two out of the bag in the past, but he isnt the type of player that we should accept as a starting player in our squad if we want to progress.

It’s the same with Joelinton, so many people have blinded themselves to the good work he does that they dont even see it anymore.

He was the second best player on the pitch last Tue by a mile, yet on here St Maximin got second spot in the rankings because of one good pass.

• Munster Mag

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:32 PM

Assassins, nice vid tks. Love that River Plate jersey too, that’s the one i got for a tenner, and Jail called me a Mackem because i sometimes wear it playing footie. Cracking kit

You couldnt make it up, lmao

• Munster Mag

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:35 PM

Rob, Shelvey suits certain games. I wouldnt have him as captain as we did earlier and he lacks running power and can be lazy. I cant see why he got the armband. Fex sake i think i got abuse for that too from some muppet because SB then gave him the band. Hell of a passer though and useful in plenty of games, especially when on the “front foot” ( I know, rare)

• Munster Mag

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:38 PM

Wardy, Soumare ( spelling?) seems a player and nobody was denying that a big bid went in ( except the miseries, obviously) .

We certainly need power and football ability to carry us further up the pitch. Perez was so good at that and so unheralded.

• IrishRob

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:48 PM

100% the one player we need if we can only buy one player is Soumaré he is an absolute force in Midfield and exactly what we need, then and only then go looking for another striker to challenge Joelinton. Then I’d work on Lb and Rb as I dont see us keeping Rose even if he makes the grade and aa solid as Manquillo is he really isnt that wonderful either.

Soumaré probably wont come here unless we get new owners and I’ve a feeling bigger clubs like United will probably come in for him in the summer. But he is the EXACT answer to our problem, Or at the the problem that should be addressed first. Imo!

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:49 PM

Got to hand it to TMG, creating coronavirus to get a mass boycott at SJP was genius 😉

• toon22

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:53 PM

JIB

You’ve got my IP
    Check for yourself

😉

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:03 PM

Assassins

I’ve watched him a few times and I’m still unsure, he certainly bangs them in for fun over there.

How much would they want?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:22 PM

Munter,
    Do you remember being dropped on your head as a baby?

• Unused Substitute

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:31 PM

I have to go with Munster on this one that Bruce is not a donosaur. It took only 30 odd matches to figure it out what’s Almiròn’s best position. A dinosaur definitely would’ve taken longer to get there.

• Munster Mag

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:31 PM

Look jail, no clowns around to heart you. When did you lose the ability to discuss, argue and not be a bitter prik of a little man? Nitwit.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:32 PM

Munter,
    You have whined incessantly for the last three years prior to this season about the football. Now we boast the proud statistic of having the least shots, goals and possession in the division, we have the joint worst GD outside the bottom three and have recorded three consecutive draws at home for the first time in our 129 year history and your happy as a pig in shit, some strange cookie.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:34 PM

*0-0 draws

• Munster Mag

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:35 PM

Jail, i rún rings around you because you’re stupid, or because you can’t pick up the point. I think the nuances are too much for you. The world is not black and white, enen to us nufc fans. I’m not sure how often something needs to be repeated but you have been dropped on your head so I’ll try.

1. Rafa played a lot of dull football
    2. You claimed (erroneously) that he is still a world class coach. A world class coach should have given us more in style
    3.i didn’t want Bruce
    4. I’m still worried about relegation so I’m not chuffed
    5. But because I am an nufc fan I am pleased when we win
    6. He has done better than we thought
    7. Think nuances Jail. Think shades of grey. The smart posters understand the above. Remember Jail, the smarter guys, not you and your 10-15 hearters.