web analytics

Steve Bruce Confesses To Feeling Powerless With Midfielder’s Contract Stalemate

The theme of Friday for Newcastle United was one of contracts. The morning started with an announcement that both Jonjo Shelvey and Matt Ritchie had extended their Newcastle stays to 2023.

During his morning press conference, Steve Bruce also confirmed that Newcastle held an option to extend Federico Fernandez for another year to 2021.

There was even a suggestion by Miles Starforth that Karl Darlow may be under contract until 2021 and not 2020, as has been widely understood.

However, with all this positivity, there is a counterweight to consider. It is Newcastle United, after all. The situation with local lad Matty Longstaff is still far from resolved.

The 19-year-old has less than four months on his current contract. He is already reportedly being courted by the likes of Inter Milan and Marseille.

BBC Newcastle’s Matthew Raisbeck has tweeted the following comments from Steve Bruce, who is obviously concerned with the midfielder’s future.

The Chronicle also has done a report with some additional comments from Bruce on Matty’s contract situation.

Here is a little of what he had to say:

“You can’t be with someone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All you can do is offer a bit of advice as someone who has been in the game a long, long time.

“I hope that we can reach an agreement, I really do, but it’s difficult, very difficult.”

Bruce sounds a little worried to us which is disconcerting. However, we have to hope that Matty’s ties to the club and the area prevail in the end.

It would be a blow to lose a promising local lad so soon after he made such an entrance to the Newcastle first team.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Southampton On Saturday?

• Win (45%, 703 )
  • Loss (29%, 458 )
  • Draw (26%, 405 )

Total Voters: 1,566

Loading ... Loading ...

• welshgeordie9

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:25 PM

Jail for Ashley
    Mar 6, 2020 at 8:27 PM
    And while we’re having a clear out, a new manager wouldn’t go amiss.

You are a muppet

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:41 PM

There is one thing Bruce could do, try playing the kid so there’s more evidence that he’s worth keeping.

• Munster Mag

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:50 PM

Frog, I wouldn’t argue with Bobby for many reasons.
    1. He’s a proper nufc fan
    2. He puts the shirt and what nufc means, before who owns the club.
    3. If I had met him in a pub when I went all over England with nufc fans we’d probably have got on well, as noisy mags (sorry Frog) fans
    4. He reminds me of the sound geordies I met when I lived in England, who knew what we were like before nufc surged forward. Ie when we were useless but thousands of us went because of the shirt and because of your fine city and community that you always want to show off, with good reason.
    5. He is the polar opposite of some of the hand wringing whingers on here who can say nothing positive about the club.
    6. He occasionally laughs at some well known mouthy self important gits on here.

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:04 AM

Munster

I see you have been at large trying to win friends and influence people ..trying to increase your little gang members with the most transparent patronising patter .

Your rare niceties to others seem false and only appear from your hand in order to hold sway on this blog .

Your in an argument or bieng nasty to someone almost every other post .

You trying to control this blog ?

Not going to happen ..

• dougie

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:08 AM

NUFC doesn’t exist anymore,it’s called Sports Direct FC now.The business model is to spend as little as possible and try to scrape to 17th position.Everyone knows that it is just an advertising vehicle for Ashley’s tat shop empire.The fans are slowly starting to take action and that’s why the club gave away 10000 tickets.Lots of empty seats doesnt look good in any stadium.The football on offer is the worst I’ve ever seen in the Premier League but that’s hardly surprising when you have a serial loser that doesn’t do tactics picking the team.Its a zombie club devoid of any ambition and it stinks to high heaven.

• NY Mag

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:10 AM

OLG,

Good evening…..happy Friday.

(Although, not on the blog it seems)

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:19 AM

Bobbeybee

Not sure if you caught my post to you earlier in the week . It was after you said that people should have no say or opinion on Newcastle United if they dont attend games .

What about the people who don’t like the thought of Ashley pocketing millions of pounds by circumventing the millions from the sale of land at Gallowgate , they choose to stay away for many other reasons pertaining to Mike Ashley , and supporting a liar and a dishonest man won’t wash with these people you say should not have an opinion or say .

Many have spent around £70 thousand pounds if they have supported over 40 years ..in tickets ,travel , hotels ,food, shirts , sporting memorabilia, etc and you say they should have no say !

You also keep mentioning people getting at you for attending ..they don’t..no one does . Fallacy of an argument to kick off trouble it seems.

You seem angry man ..your even chastising toon22 because of his opinions..yet you say the insufferable Munster is entitled to his opinion ! And toon22 isint ? You tried to shut him up .

Nasty.

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:29 AM

Bill

I’m surprised at you defending Munster..he’ll be having a party , he’s trying to manipulate opinion on the Blog ..hes gathering new friends every day .. control .

Remember when he regularly spewed the false line ..”Im glad to see more people seeing Rafa for what he was and are now starting to question him ..I paraphrased there but words to that effect .

Bill every time I arrive on this blog Munster is in some sort of argument ..and it’s not all about him defending himself ..take last week when he left some scathing bile about Rafa half an hour after a new page started he posted it on the old page ! Did he do it for kicks ?

He’s no saint Bill .

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:30 AM

Tsunki

Well said @ 9 previous page.

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:31 AM

N.Y.

Good evening ..hope you are well

• NY Mag

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:33 AM

OLG,

Indeed I am.
    Have you got all of that out of your system now?

Good read BTW…..

• carltoon

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:51 AM

Don’t know if the tweet about banning Over seventies from going to the stadium is true, but that will make a lot of posters on this blog happy.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:54 AM

OLG

No he isn’t trying to manipulate the blog and if you are seeing it that way then I’m sorry but I have misjudged you.

Yes he is abrasive at time and I’ve told him not to react so much myself.

But It is mainly just that a reaction, I’ve never thought of him as an instigator although he is heavily accused of that.

Read what he actually says, I have and still cannot see how people, rational ones at that, call him a Rafa hater.

I’m constantly amazed at the level of hate that’s aimed at him and wonder if it will ever end, probably not!

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:56 AM

Carltoon

I’m pretty certain that tweet is a fake.

It would be very difficult to enforce to be fair.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:56 AM

toon22

What a brave man you are to come creeping out of your swamp when I say I’m taking a break and have a dig at me.

Not the first time you’ve done that either.

• carltoon

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:00 AM

Droppy ah I wasn’t quite sure, like it said, that would mean ROY would be banned ha ha.

• carltoon

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:01 AM

Good job I look ten year younger.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:02 AM

Carltoon

That’s why I thought it was fake, it’s meant to be funny.

As I say I can’t see how they could implement such a ban, can you imagine stewards stopping fans and asking them to prove their age? It would be chaos.

• NY Mag

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:02 AM

Carltoon,

I’m watching sky news…and they have just mentioned exactly that (still waiting to hear the full story)

• carltoon

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:03 AM

Bill you should know OLG goes with the flow.

• NY Mag

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:03 AM

Passports required to get into SJP 🙂

• carltoon

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:04 AM

NYmag so it could be true.

• carltoon

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:05 AM

Hope your not telling fibs.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:06 AM

Carltoon

We were chatting with our new neighbours today and mentioned in passing that we had a fifty year old son, she looked at us in amazement and said you’re not old enough to have a son that age and she meant it.

Mind you look and how you feel don’t always coincide. 🙂

• lesh

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:06 AM

Having logged in but a few minutes ago, caught up with some posts it’s evident that somebody’s playing games. Mind, the one I’m referring to seems much more proficient than our long-time, supposedly North Shields based wum.

It’s noticeable that others have picked up on the game that’s being played and I’ll repost a comment I posted before I got to this thread. It seems I’m not alone in my views.

Repost

toon22

Munster argue with Bobbybee? Little chance of that.

A couple of posters on here seem to have a knack of playing posters off against one another, courting some, playing the innocent abroad yet being confrontational toward others.

What puzzles me is that some seem to empathise with, even sympathise with the troublemakers and can’t see their game.

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:06 AM

Bill

Look at point 5 at comment #3

He’s also extolling the virtues of a man who says you should not have an opinion , a say in anything regarding the club you support, Newcastle United , if you don’t attend ..who is he to shut anyone up and Munster to defend him .

He’s saying you should have no say Bill and Munster is backing him .

• NY Mag

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:07 AM

Carltoon,

I don’t know, they mentioned it in their introduction ‘on the hour news’
    But, so far no actual story about it

• NY Mag

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:07 AM

Carltoon,

No fibs from me (this time)

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:09 AM

Carltoon NY

According to Sky sports app.

It’s under consideration to possibly advise over 70s not to go.

Long way from banning and I think closed doors is the most likely route.

• carltoon

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:11 AM

Lesh, OLG. I don’t sympathize win anyone, I find it all childish, every one has got an opinion. That’s all it is. Why call one another.

• lesh

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:12 AM

Essex Geordie Bil

@13

Sorry to have to say it, but ‘this my belief you’ve been conned by Munster. You defend Jiblet’s antics too and that really should issue a message.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:13 AM

OLG

I don’t agree with everything he says, show me someone on the blog who’s perfect, I still think he gets a lot more shite than he gives out.

• carltoon

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:14 AM

Thanks Droppy, I might have to auction me seat off then. Although nobody on the blog will want it will they.

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:15 AM

Lesh

Well said at # 25

Right on the money .

I can see the game that has been playing out for the last few months .

Bill you have not misjudged me sir ..with respect , you may have misjudged what’s going on here day to day .

Did someone once say they were an ex football hooligan ? Can’t recall who.

Nice .

• NY Mag

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:15 AM

OLG and Lesh,

I’m dont get why you get so frustrated/upset/annoyed with other posters.
    This blog was designed for people to share their opinions.

Have a bit craic with the people you agree with and ignore the ones you don’t…life is much simpler that way 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:15 AM

Lesh
    No I haven’t been conned by anyone and I do find it surprising that you happily join in the attacks on him, I thought you were better than that.

• lesh

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:17 AM

carltoon

Of course everyone has an opinion and is entitled to express it. There are many, like you, who opine in good faith and there are a few who do so to provoke arguments. That ain’t childishness it’s narcissistic misheaf-making.

Apart from that, have you recovered from whatever seemed to knock you sideways a few days ago? I hope so.

• carltoon

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:17 AM

Lesh it’s only a blog. Honestly do you ever read it back. Surely you all grown men? I’ve got an excuse I’m a women so allowed to talk rubbish.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:17 AM

NY Mag/Carltoon

The banning of the over seventies, if true, is probably to do with covid-19 as that is the age bracket that will be in the most danger.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:18 AM

Carltoon

No I think your seat is safe.

It would only be advisory and not a ban anyway so it’s likely to be ignored.