web analytics

Monday’s News Roundup For The Newcastle United Blog

On Monday, we found out the price for Dutch starlet Myron Boadu, heard from Floyd Mayweather about Newcastle United, and got the confirmation for our FA Cup final date, amongst other news.

Here is the roundup of today’s articles and news from The Newcastle United Blog.

• Our first article shares stats showing Jonjo Shelvey’s importance to the squad. It also reveals some details from the new contract he signed on Friday.
  • Newcastle were linked with AZ Alkmaar’s exciting young striker Myron Boadu in late February. A new report came out claiming that the Eredivisie club have set the bidding at £18m for the 19-year-old.
  • On Sunday, the Sun claimed that Steve Bruce was keen on bringing Middlesbrough’s Hayden Coulsten this summer for £10m. However, there were developments on Monday that Middlesbrough would knock back any attempts from Newcastle for the Gateshead born lad.

• Despite rising interest in budding superstar Allan Saint-Maximin, Newcastle remain confident that they’ll be able to retain the Frenchman this summer.
  • We give our views on Newcastle’s current placement in the league as well our first FA Cup quarter-final since 2006.
  • Our take on the surprise comments from boxer Floyd Mayweather where he teases interest in buying Newcastle United.
  • Newcastle’s FA Cup quarter-final against Manchester City has been confirmed for the 21st of March and will postpone two of our Premier League fixtures.

• investinyouthtoon

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:34 PM

Might have to get myself along sometime this week on me way back from work. Good luck to the lad

This whole mayweather bid is a load of rubbish must be a slow news day I’m guessing. Although it would have its benefits too (apart from ridding us from MA obvs) imagine SJP being used for ppv box office fights, the crowds and the money it would generate. Also someone seeing it from a commercial aspect eg concerts, it would be a massive benefit to the city and local economy

• RobLeenio

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:35 PM

Oooo, new article format Neil? I like it. Is this a permanent feature? It’s a great idea.

• RobLeenio

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:39 PM

Investinyouthtoon, thanks for sharing that, I might pop along some time, you’ve gotta support passion and dedication like that.

Good luck to the lad.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:42 PM

Ooh round up. I like it. Not as much as Olga Kurylenko mind.

• RobLeenio

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:43 PM

And yeah, Mayweather was blatantly playing to the crowd, but it’s a canny story anyway.

You’re right about the other users for sjp, which would only benefit fatty, not the club itself, but the effect on the city itself could be huge.

Get The Who in there instead of the arena, much better atmosphere.

• investinyouthtoon

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:43 PM

RobLeenio exactly my thinking. A young dedicated geordie is well worth supporting. Support local shops etc.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:43 PM

Get in Leicester. Reina just what the hell dude ha ha ha

• Just a fan

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:44 PM

Jibs let me down for the match stream lol.
    Looks like I’m back to chess.com.

• investinyouthtoon

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:47 PM

I remember seeing bryan adams there in 2006, was cracking like. If only they had proper rock bands ie acdc there I’m sure Brian Johnson would be up for that.

• Neil Harrison

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:49 PM

Thanks Rob,

I hope to keep doing this during the week. I will probably try different things but it’ll be a summary of the articles of the day. My dad did something similar in the blog’s early days.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:54 PM

Never seen a gig at SJP. Saw a few at Gateshead stadium way back. And seen a couple at the arena but I don’t like the acoustics in the arena.

• RobLeenio

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:59 PM

The arena’s rubbish bit the best bands go there so what can you do?

Saw the Who on their Quadrophenia tour the a few years ago, great gig, they’ve still got it.

Best recent gig was the Sleaford Mods at the boiler shop a year or so ago, though the future Islands at the O2 was pretty good too

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:02 PM

Robleenio

Aye I’m not a fan of the arena. Was a big Aerosmith fan in my younger days and I saw them there it was awful.

Prefer going to see bands at pubs these days. Some cracking local talent out there.

• jane

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:06 PM

Lazaar is in playing for Cosenza at Chievo tonight but they are losing 1-0 at half time. Chievo is in Northern Italy but it must be outside the Coronavirus exclusion zone but can’t be far from it.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:07 PM

droppy,
    We used to go up as kids and get in for the last twenty minutes when they opened the doors. Saw the Stones, Queen and was given a free ticket off some rock chick for Springstein as I was up there early selling, very good but not original tour t shirts.

• jane

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:18 PM

“U23s:
    Stiffs rained off

A waterlogged pitch at the Grecians’ St James Park home saw tonight’s Premier League Cup Second Round tie between Exeter City and Newcastle U23s postponed.”

long way to go and then be postponed!

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:22 PM

Jail

Now that sounds like fun. I saw Nils Lofgren from the EStreet band at the sage, scored two free tickets. He’s a hell of a character.

• RobLeenio

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:26 PM

jane, especially now that FlyBe have gone pop – they used to fly direct to Exeter from Newcastle.

• jane

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:28 PM

there is still hope for most on here to be a professional footballer

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:33 PM

This is still the best band I saw live.

3 piece from Colchester, used to travel all over the country and into Europe.

Offered record deals but always refused them as they didn’t want to lose control of what they did.

• RobLeenio

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:39 PM

3-0 Leicester. Villa could be on the way to relegation here…..

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:40 PM

Robleenio

Good.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:42 PM

4-0

• RobLeenio

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:42 PM

Depending on how the rescheduled fixture works out, it could end up that they need to win at SJP to have a chance of staying up, so we would have the chance to put the final nail in their coffin.

Wouldn’t that be sweet revenge?

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:44 PM

Robleenio

I would love it, if we beat them, love it.

• The Sheikh'sMate

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:45 PM

Someone (sorry, I should remember) said they couldn’t understand the stockpiling of loo rolls but would understand if it was pasta or tinned food…. well have you ever tried wiping your arse with pasta or tinned food?? Bit messy I would have thought??

• Big Bruce Stars.

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:50 PM

I would quite enjoy beating villa 1-0 in the 96th minute after they had hammered us all game, hit the woodwork twice, missed a penalty, had a goal chalked off with a poor VAR decision and been told at half time the club was going into administration, gaining the three points that ensured safety and at the same time relegating them,just prior to being removed altogether from the football league. If it could be done to some rousing comedy sing song that would be perfect. 🙂

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:51 PM

Tsunki

By you don’t want much like do you?

However I’d happily take that happening.

• Pottsclock

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:51 PM

Yes, but much tastier than chewing loo roll

• RobLeenio

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:52 PM

Lol, and I thought I was being vindictive!

😉

• Big Bruce Stars.

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:52 PM

Oh and our goal would be by virtue of an own goal. Missed that little detail out.

• The Sheikh'sMate

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:53 PM

Rob@12
    As a treat I paid for myself and 6 other family members to see the Who this Saturday… can’t wait

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:53 PM

What kind of pasta?

Cackaroni?

Poosilli?

Assagna?

• Big Bruce Stars.

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:54 PM

Thing is about stockpiling ‘swipe – it won’t be wasted or go past sell by. It’ll get used. Especially if you stockpiled on microwave curries.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:55 PM

To any villa fans out there just glancing our blog –

‘bye.

😀

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:56 PM

Saw many a band at the City Hall – two concerts that stood out were the Rolling Stones in 1973 – played midnight rambler still remember with dry ice rolling off the stage and up the isles in the stalls
    And Bruce Springsteen May 81 bloody nearly 40 years ago – still got me sweatshirt!!

• Big Bruce Stars.

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:57 PM

I’ve been thinking of stockpiling Islay single malts, dark chocolate and crystallised ginger. I think they might just come in handy.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:59 PM

Charlie your family might appreciate you putting that sweatshirt in the wash.

• RobLeenio

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:03 PM

The Sheikh’s Mate, that’s some treat – must have cost a fortune. Seem to remember our tickets were the thick end of a ton each.

Mind, the memories are priceless, you’ll have a fantastic time.

• The Sheikh'sMate

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:07 PM

Rob, aye thick end of 500but only cause I found a little pension pot I’d forgotten about… Aye dad’s not a tight old bugger any more ha