web analytics

Permanent Deals, Enrique’s Worries, and Empty Stadiums – Today’s News Roundup

Today we found out that Steve Bruce hopes to keep Danny Rose beyond this season, heard from Jose Enrique about Newcastle avoiding a relegation scrap if the league resumes, and also learned that players are ready to play behind closed doors if necessary.

Here is the roundup of today’s articles and news from The Newcastle United Blog.

• A report claims Bruce hopes to make Danny Rose a permanent member of the squad this summer.
  • Andy Carroll was due to return to action for Newcastle before the season was suspended. If the league cannot continue, has Andy done enough for a new deal?
  • How will the transfer window be tested this summer if the season cannot be completed?
  • With some elite clubs pursuing Lille midfielder Boubakary Soumare, will Newcastle turn their attention to Hoffenheim’s Florian Grillitsch?
  • As a club, Newcastle continue to take proactive measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus.

• Former Magpie Jose Enrique shares his concerns on whether Newcastle have done enough to avoid a relegation fight this season.
  • A PFA executive says players understand that if this season resumes it will be with no supporters in the stands.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:10 PM

NY – are you initially from the UK – think you’ve said it previously but cannot recall?

• simon376

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:12 PM

Just shows how shocking he truly is. He will be shut down regardless after what was said tonight, maybe Toon 22 is right after all. Maybe not prison yet, but large fines

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:14 PM

Tuff

Expecting them all closed Friday, after Borris today, hard for anyone to go to work.

Scotland closed them today I believe

• carltoon

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:22 PM

We’ve got the hospital but all under staffed. One nurse I know working 15hour shifts.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:23 PM

Cheers OP.

• NY Mag

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:24 PM

Mr T,

Yes, I am – was born and grew up in a village outside Durham

• NY Mag

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:31 PM

Carltoon,

I’m not sure the staff Number is the issue (although it’s no doubt related)…..the number of critical care beds seems to be more of an issue.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:35 PM

NY – cheers so you will obviously be aware of the beauty of areas of the North East. Amazing things to see and do. Northumberland probably just surpassed by the beauty of the Lake District.

• carltoon

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:46 PM

NYmag, that’s right, they have mentioned that, and they’ve been trying to free them up. So no more non essential ops. and whatever else they have to do. The understaffing, and stopping the funding for nurse training was a disgrace which now hitting home.

• IrishRob

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:51 PM

Mike Ashley really shot himself in the foot there. Now the whole country knows he’s evil and not just the whole of Newcastle. He didn’t think that one through at all, and for what a few days or a week at best untill he’s gonna be forced to close.

Wow either he’s a little obtuse himself or his PR team really fkd up there. This is gonna hurt him big time.

• fairscup

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:52 PM

JohnJ

Mar 23, 2020 at 12:52 PM

Just catching up and saw your comment.
    This was voted the best goal ever scored at St. James’ Park I believe.
    What a player.

• TomaKaThor

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:10 PM

Ashley seeing a opportunity… Typical of the fat greedy tit, but we aren’t allowed to go out to his shops technically anyway duh…. Shame because I am in dire need of some londsdale trackys

• NY Mag

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:13 PM

Mr T,

Yes,I appreciate the beauty of the north east…more so now than before 🙂

• RobLeenio

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:15 PM

I’d like to say I was amazed by Ashley’s shenanigans, sadly I cannot.

The guy is a monster, he needs to be hammered by the Government.

• NY Mag

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:15 PM

Carltoon,

There’s always blame to be be had….but that’s for later.
    Now, we just need to get through this all together…..then we can start asking questions.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

• RobLeenio

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:16 PM

JohnReese, I hope you feel better soon mate and that you manage to avoid passing this to your family. It sounds like you’re in a far worse state than me, look after yourself fella.

• droppy in Wallsend

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:18 PM

To anyone who has or knows someone who has this horrible virus, I send my very best wishes.

On MA and his insistence that’s he’s important I would love to say I’m shocked but I’m not at all, but it highlights to the whole country what a complete sh*tehawk he is.

Stay safe everyone.

• Uncertain Toon/World

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:22 PM

I didn’t hear BJ mention looking for sports gear is part of the infrequent shopping for essential items.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:29 PM

I think if it is safe, and I’m sure they have the resources to guarantee that, then they should play the games in empty stadiums, finish the season, get the TV money, and provide a distraction for those stuck at home. I suppose they’d postpone the Olympics, for example, but that hasn’t started yet. I wanna see the lads if it’s possible, and teams win titles and cups, earn European places, promotion etc. Logistically though, how far down the league pyramid can you go? Epl and Championship only perhaps, with Championship games also televised.

• NY Mag

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:45 PM

Here’s what I don’t understand….Ashley doesn’t decide the policy of the country, if he’s allowed to keep his shops open, then that’s because the policy allows him to do so.
    Now, whether he makes any money from that is debatleble. But, keeping shops open keeps people employed, surely – regardless of the hatred, that’s a good thing?

• Uncertain Toon/World

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:51 PM

NY Mag,

It’s like the pubs mate, some in Scotland opened on Saturday!

The government would have to force through legislation to pull the licence on offenders.

Ashley will keep them open until he’s lawfully told to shut them I’d expect, coz we know that’s the type of person he is.

Yuo would think they would have the powers anyway once they call a national emergencgy

• JohnReese

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:53 PM

Cheers Rob, glad you’re doing alright as well. I’ll be fine but my backstock of whisky is getting dangerously low!

• NY Mag

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:58 PM

Uncertain,

Understood…but why keep something open that is loosing money?
    The longer you persevere with a loss making activity, the more money you lose.