web analytics

Will Local Lad Get The Games Needed For A New Deal?

Andy Carroll was reportedly close to a return to action for Newcastle before the coronavirus pandemic put the season and much of society on total lockdown.

Carroll had returned to training in the days leading up to the initial decision to suspend the season until April 3rd. It was later decided during a second meeting of Premier League clubs to extend that date to April 30th.

It has been reported that Andy was on a pay as you play contract that would trigger for another year if he made a certain number of appearances, believed to be 20.

The 31-year-old looked certain to reach that number making 13 appearances in the league and 14 overall by mid-January. However, what was reported to be a hip problem has kept him out of the team since his last appearance in the FA Cup win against Rochdale on January 14th.

The Chronicle’s Lee Ryder was recently asked about the likelihood of Carroll getting an extension with his hometown club. He provided an interesting detail about Andy’s injury:

I’d expect Carroll to fight for that deal in the last few weeks of the season.

He has been frustrated – like everybody else – about the testing times we are all in right now.

But he was close to a return from what I believe was a hamstring injury, more than the hip which was widely publicized.

The good thing is his ankle has not been damaged this season, and he should be in a position to trigger the extension.

There is also a feeling behind the scenes that even if he didn’t get the required game tally to extend it, the club may push the button on the deal anyway if he does well in the final few games.

Ryder reckons that it’s been Carroll’s hamstring that’s kept him out for the last two months. That would better explain why it’s taken so long for Andy to recover.

The talk of a hip pointer didn’t make much sense. Though Yoshinori Muto missed about five weeks after suffering a hip injury in the first game against Rochdale. He’s still not played since, but that’s due to team selection and not his injury.

Ryder seems to think that Carroll has a decent shot at staying with Newcastle if this season gets back underway, and Carroll plays well. However, that is a big if. I am starting to have my doubts we will see this season completed.

Planning for a return is one thing, and I fully support the Premier League keeping all of their options open. However, returning to action during a global pandemic is a whole other situation that could be very hard to justify pulling off.

Hopefully, we see the situation improve drastically over the next few months and reach a point where the games can resume safely and without risk to the players or the general public.

• JohnJ

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:04 PM

Repost!

The great LEN WHITE would have been 90 today had he lived!.

I recall seeing the game mentioned below at St James’ Park I thought it was a Wednesday game but my memory is playing tricks with me perhaps it was an Easter Monday game?

I can clearly see in my minds eye, as a 14 year old lad, Len White picking up the ball near the halfway line, on the left wing & we were attacking the Gallowgate end. He jinked past a Man City defender then sold the next one a dummy all the time cutting in and beating a man after man until there was just Bert Trautmann (their keeper) and him left. He pulled the ball one way and their keeper fell for it only for Len to pull the ball back to his right and smash it into the empty net! What a cracker that was!!! It a goal I’ll always remember as long as I live!!!

Len White (23/03/1930 – 17/061994)

Monday 14/04/58

Ronnie Simpson
    Dick Keith Alf McMichael
    Jimmy Scoular Bob Stokoe Albert Franks
    Gordon Hughes Reg Davie LEN WHITE Bill Curry Bobby Mitchell

Goals:- Davies, Franks, White (2)

Saturday 25/10/1958
    Newcastle also beat Man City 4 – 1 at St James’ Park on Saturday 25/10/1958 when Len White scored another two goals!

What a player he was!

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:05 PM

Has Tom Hanks been arrested yet?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:08 PM

What colour level of chaos are the CIA going to allow the world to sink in to before these mass arrests.

• geordietom

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:15 PM

i’d get rid of Carroll he was a sick note when he came to us has been a sick note since , getting rid of him free’s a place up to get a decent in …

• geordietom

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:17 PM

decent forward *

• geordiemark

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:20 PM

id end his contract now, he has been of no use for the team this season

• Bills Son Is Back

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:46 PM

geordiemark,

Carroll has had at least three assists this season and all of them important point winning goals.

• carltoon

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:47 PM

Hibbit thanks for that song. I’m a bit of a diva, so when I have a melt down don’t take any notice, I can shout at everyone on here where I can’t in my house. Stay safe.

• martoon

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:47 PM

A little harsh saying he’s been no use – earlier in the season when he came on late on in games he was a good out ball and helped out in defense and from memory I’m sure he has an assist as well.

• geordietom

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:51 PM

Carltoon song for you pet …

• Ron Knee

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:51 PM

“Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are feeling better after being treated for coronavirus…”

Sinister, or what?

• geordietom

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:55 PM

Carltoon or this version …

• carltoon

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:55 PM

Tom, them lyrics were very apt. Has anybody body been arrested, re the Bobby bee Story. No!! I thought not, still time though.

• carltoon

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:57 PM

OP I always rated Rose, I think he played well last few games, I don’t know about signing him though.

• Ron Knee

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:06 PM

Here’s an intelligent leader:

“Brazil’s far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, has accused his political foes and the press of purposefully “tricking” citizens about the dangers of coronavirus, as Latin America braced for a spike in the number of deaths.

“But Bolsonaro has resisted such drastic measures, dismissing media “hysteria” over coronavirus and calling the illness “a little flu”.” (Grauniad)

• geordietom

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:07 PM

Carltoon …

yep that song has good lyrics whats gong on in the world at this moment …

• hibbit

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:09 PM

that’s great carltoon please look after yourself your far to valuable to the blog,
    you can shout at me anytime if it helps LOL
    staysafe staystrong

• carltoon

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:13 PM

Ha ha that’s lovely, crikey wouldn’t know what do without the blog. Tom that Sam Bailey version was fantastic.

• #cans

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:14 PM

No to giving Carroll a new deal, he’s too injury prone – if its not his ankle, its his hip, if not hip hamstring, calf, thigh, back etc etc – he’s finished in top flight football as his body just cant take the strain of even 2 games a month

• carltoon

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:16 PM

I agree re Caroll. Think they might find another job in the club for him though.

• carltoon

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:18 PM

Ron its frightening these people running our countries. How the hell do they get into power?

• #cans

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:19 PM

Dominic Cummings ( who seems to be driving Johnsons policy ) as reported by the Sunday Times “those present at the private engagement claimed Mr Cummings had outlined the Government strategy as: ‘Herd immunity, protect the economy and if that means some pensioners die, too bad.”

In some ways he’s just speaking the truth, some pensioners are going to die no matter which strategy we take, I guess it’s choosing the economy over peoples lives that has rubbed up the daily mail et al the wrong way.

• Jib