web analytics

Magpie Claims ‘It’s Fake News’ That Newcastle Wasn’t The Right Choice

Early on Monday, a report emerged that Achraf Lazaar regretted his move to Newcastle in 2016. Sport Witness wrote an article with some comments from the 28-year-old, who is currently on loan to Serie B’s Calcio Cosenza.

This is what the article said Lazaar told Italian journalist Nicolo Schira via Instagram:

“In the summer of 2016, Fiorentina wanted me, but my dream as a kid was to play in England. It was Rafa Benitez, who had arrived from Real Madrid.

“He really wanted me, and his pressing convinced me.

“There were great ambitions: there was talk of building a squad to win the Premier League in the space of a few years.

“It’s too bad he played me very little. In hindsight, Newcastle wasn’t the right choice, unfortunately”.

We don’t see too much controversy in the Moroccan’s statement. Other than the part about ‘great ambition’ and ‘winning the Premier League’, Lazaar’s statement seems a very accurate one considering his circumstances.

Though we have little doubt that Mike Ashley fed Rafa Benitez promises of grandeur to keep the Spaniard at the club after spelunking down a division.

Achraf Lazaar joined Newcastle in the summer of 2016 from Palermo when we were in the Championship. To date, he’s made only 10 appearances. So that is the textbook definition of him making the wrong choice, especially if a club like Fiorentina were interested in him.

However, Lazaar has spoken to the Chronicle to clear up some of the comments attributed to him in the original report.

This is what he had to say:

“I’ve seen suggestions of Newcastle being a bad choice. I don’t know where it came from. It’s fake news.

“People are always talking about me and suggesting I’m saying bad things about Newcastle.

“But I’ve never said that. I love Newcastle, and if I chose Newcastle over Fiorentina in 2016, then that says it all for me.

“Newcastle still means something to me. People can talk or make me look bad.

“People who know me will tell you it’s bull**** that I made the wrong choice.”

Lazaar has one year remaining on the five-year contract he signed when joining Newcastle in 2016. He may be worried that his comments, if he really said them, could put him in hot water with Newcastle.

However, he was just saying what most observers already knew. His move to Newcastle was catastrophic for him. It has cost him basically four years of his career.

Since joining Newcastle, Lazaar has made just 31 first-team appearances for either Newcastle or his three loan clubs. We definitely don’t begrudge him if he regrets coming to Newcastle.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:29 AM

Ancient,
    Who is that on your avatar. surely not Micheal Foot.

• Ron Knee

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:33 AM

Bernie?

• AncientC

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:40 AM

Jail, it is Bernie Sanders. Another image I will have to change sooner than I hoped.

• martoon

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:45 AM

Unused Substitute @9 – I see I got an accidental mention but I’ll take it 😉 Actually the article you linked to was interesting but even with my black and white eyeballs I’m not sure I would have given nufc an ‘A’ but probably a ‘B’.

• rotherschild

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:50 AM

Is this a RATNERS moment for the Ashley empire

• #cans

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:51 AM

Jib – there’s nothing happens in SD that Ashley doesn’t know about, I’d imagine he doesn’t know much about anything that doesn’t cost money regarding NUFC as he’s not that arsed about us other than financially.

It’s well known that SD is very close to his heart and he has a huge say in everything that happens, Wooten is a friend of his, he isn’t going to do something without passing it by Ashley

There’s no need to defend Ashley on every point

• #cans

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:01 AM

Tramp, tell that to Gerald Ratner

• SwissSte

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:36 AM

I guess if you were a boss in a billion pound business and someone was putting emails out behind your back to damage your company you could discipline that employee?

Has the rascal been sacked?

• hibbit

Mar 24, 2020 at 12:36 PM

read the comments at the bottom of this article, the tide of public opinion is rapidly turning against Ashley