web analytics

Newcastle Star Reveals What It’s Like During Premier League Shutdown

Newcastle United players were told when the Premier League was shut down on Friday, March 13th, that they should not consider this to be a holiday.

The Chronicle is reporting today the players were told they had to work hard while the suspension lasts, and they were each given individual training programs they had to adhere to.

Newcastle have planned well for this, and the medics are keeping a check – remotely – on each player’s fitness.

Dr. Paul Catterson is one of the best in the business, and he’s made sure our players are being protected and doing the right things.

Federico Fernandez has been one of our best players this season, and he has recently had the one year option taken up on his Newcastle contract – so he’s delighted to be staying at least another year.

W are delighted at that too – Fede seems to love it at Newcastle, and he’s an outstanding player with stacks of experience in the Premier League and at international level.

Steve Bruce with Fede Fernandez
After one-year extension announced

This is what Fede has said on the Newcastle web-site about what he’s doing during the suspended season.

“From the club, we have to do some fitness work – they’ve told us pretty clearly it’s no holiday and we need to keep working – so I’ve tried to do that at home or outside in the garden,”

“I love to play with the kids and stay with the family and my wife, sharing a lot of time together that sometimes can be difficult.”

“I speak with my family in Argentina, where the virus has now started – more than 100 cases – so obviously our parents and grandparents need to take it very seriously.”

“After that, there is not much to do. I just help my wife clean the house and tidy up all the toys! We are doing OK. We know it could be a long time with this situation. “

“We will stay calm and stay at home. It’s not only about us – it’s about everyone.”

If only Mike Ashley would realize that players these days can play well into their 30s, we’d have a more experienced team.

But Steve Bruce seems to be savvy and is trying to tie down the experienced players he wants in the side.

With the lockdown in place in the UK, stay at home and stay safe.

Which On Loan Left Back Should Newcastle Pursue This Summer?

• Jetro Willems (52%, 600 )
  • Both (28%, 318 )
  • Neither (12%, 137 )
  • Danny Rose (8%, 95 )

Total Voters: 1,150

Loading ... Loading ...

• JohnJ

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:06 AM

Stay safe everyone and by looking after yourselves you are looking after each other.

This is a pretty nasty time but hopefully we can come out the other end as soon as possible

• carltoon

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:09 AM

Jib, that video of OLG, ha ha it’s exactly how I view him, I take everything he says with a pinch of salt. Just so pleased my daughter’s Island is now in lockdown with no known cases of the virus. After Bangkok was lockdown, all the of went back to their villages. So I’m hoping everyone is safe.

• geordietom

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:24 AM

a few goals off the lads …https://youtu.be/Krn6aBerOpw

• geordietom

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:26 AM

and there’s more

• Ron Knee

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:30 AM

Odd to see two people standing so close together!

• Jib

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:37 AM

Prince Charles tests positive for CoViD19
    but remains in good health

• martoon

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:41 AM

Jib @6 – That’s what happens when he mixes with the riff raff 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:42 AM

RobLeenio,
    ”If the NHS want to bulk buy PPE, waiting until there’s an outbreak of disease in South East Asia is not the way forward”
    Why wasn’t it the way forward, it would have certainly saved a lot of infections. Please don’t mention hindsight as it wasn’t needed, something like this has been warned of by experts since the Spanish flu/Asian flu/SARS etc etc. Not even a simple effective plan on public transport. As I’ve said it always seems to take a major loss of lives before change is implemented and hopefully there will be mass storage of PPE from now on but this wasn’t waiting for an off chance of a Pandemic it has simply been a matter of when and not if.

• Jib

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:42 AM

martoon
    He may be part of the herd

• DubaiMicky

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:43 AM

Imagine, you’ve been groomed to be king for 71 years then snuff it before your mum.

I’m no fan of Charles, but think it would be better if he stepped aside and let his only son succeed Queenie.

• Ron Knee

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:43 AM

…speaking from his second palace.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:43 AM

Oh and btw not being pedantic here but the outbreak wasn’t started in SE Asia. it was in North central China.

• simon376

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:48 AM

Micky
    Yeah as let’s face it, his mam wouldn’t be queen if wasn’t for his great uncle stepping down so he could marry a divorced woman. When Charles did the same he should have said I’ll step aside but let my son still get it, people would have thought a lot more of him doing that I think

• Jib

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:00 PM

Edward Vlll abdicated
    Charles is heir apparent and cannot abdicate until crowned
    He’ll probably abdicate immediately after his coronation

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:05 PM

jail, I meant that when the outbreak happened, it was too late – there should have been better forward planning and preparation.

I think we’re on the same page here (along with 95% of the rest of the World).

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:09 PM

My thinking was that trying to buy PPE from whichever part of Asia when that part of Asia is also in massive need of PPE is too late. We should be holding massive stocks at all times.

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:15 PM

Apparently Mark Halsey has said that missing the Callum McManaman challenge that could have ended Massadio Haidara’s career was the worst mistake he ever made.

• Jib

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:19 PM

• simon376

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:19 PM

No chance of that Jib and I know he can’t actually abdicate until on the throne but could still say he would step aside. Think he wants it too much to do that though

• Jib

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:30 PM

Roberto Martinez
    “Callum is not that kind of player”

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:40 PM

I wonder why he done it, he hadn’t been on long so it’s not like they’d been niggling at each other, it was very deliberate. Was that what started retrospective decisions even if the ref had ”seen” it?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:41 PM

Did he ever apologise to him or anything?

• lesh

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:42 PM

Simon
    @19

You might have to wait a little while for the definitive answer to your stepping aside question as Jib’ll want to verify his opinion with the Palace before responding

• lesh

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:43 PM

Jail

Dunno why the tackle was made but just seeing it in slowmo made me wince

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:46 PM

There was a question on Nufc.com the other day:
    Which Newcastle player made his final Premier League appearance for the club in May 2018, 30 months after his previous one?
    I didn’t know it but while looking where Haidara is now I seen he only left us in 2108 and thought there’s the answer to that question, I’ve just looked at the question again and the answers are up now and it was him. How long was he injured for?? At least he has a club now, he should have sued the footer.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:47 PM

Works quite good today only seven in, plenty of space to isolate.

I’m eating lunch on the roof and its boiling.

Stay safe

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:49 PM

He was only out a month??? He obviously wasn’t the same after the injury, I can’t remember him playing under Rafa.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:51 PM

”At the end of the season, their rules were changed to permit retrospective action “when match officials are not in a position to fully assess a ‘coming together’ of players.”

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:53 PM

Did he used to have hit and miss games, have we got fond memories of him for sympathy or was he any good, I can’t remember much about him.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:54 PM

It’s great having one way conversations on the blog nobody can disagree with you 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:55 PM

You’d think with the country in lock down the blog would be heaving.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:56 PM

I’m going to try and not be on all day next week when I’m home, don’t want the kids to see me sat around on my phone all day while trying to keep them off their i pads.

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:59 PM

Chi Onwurah just unloaded on Mike Ashley and Sports Direct in PMQs.

😀

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:03 PM

Jail, I don’t remember much about him either – just a young lad starting to get some game time when that injury pushed him out of the team and he struggled to get back in.

Looks like the last couple of seasons he’s only made 30 starts or so for his team in France, so maybe he has been long-term affected.

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:05 PM

OP “I’m eating lunch on the roof and its boiling.”

I’d be out in the back garden, but the missus is out there and she’s looking to hand out jobs now I’m on the mend. I reckon I have 24 hours’ grace……

😉

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:11 PM

bt sport apparently showing Feyenoord vs NUFC in the Champs League tonight.

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:12 PM

Are we taking it in turns to dominate the blog for 30 minutes?

😉
    😀

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:15 PM

While Mike Ashley’s NUFC are busy still taking season ticket payments for a season which may never happen, AS Roma are distributing food and medicine care packages to all their season ticket holders over the age of 75.

Compare and contrast…..

• Ron Knee

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:16 PM

Haggis_UK@Haggis_UK

Piers Morgan – Sports Direct have been caught jacking up their prices… doing something for your country doesn’t mean fleecing people. We will remember the companies which stepped up.. & we’ll remember the ones that abused their employees & customers.. #Disgusting

• Jib