Our hope is that Newcastle decide to sign Valentino Lazaro permanently this summer. They have a purchase option on the Austrian for around £21.5m.
The optimal scenario would be for the league to resume, and Valentino put in the performances to earn the move. The 24-year-old would also have to agree to stay, which we suspect he would be open to.
However, the future of this season is uncertain, and Valentino may never get the opportunity to prove himself on the pitch.
Yesterday two reports from Italy conflicted about Newcastle’s willingness to trigger the option clause on Lazaro.
The first report was from Calciomercato and cited by Sport Witness.
That report claimed that Newcastle would be unwilling to risk the large fee on Valentino if the league did not get back underway. Lazaro has made just five appearances in his loan spell with varying results.
There is another report, however, from TuttoMercatoWeb cited by the Chronicle that says Inter Milan are optimistic that Newcastle will trigger the winger’s clause to make his deal permanent this summer.
It has been rumored that Lazaro doesn’t have much of a future at Inter while Antonio Conte is in charge. Both of these reports make that claim.
Even the report in Sport Witness says that Inter is not concerned if Lazaro returns in the summer because they are confident a Bundesliga team will come in for him.
We like what we’ve seen from Lazaro in his limited time on Tyneside and think he’d be worth the risk. With Bruce now committed to a 4-2-3-1, Lazaro will be used primarily as a winger and that’s where he’s looked best so far for Newcastle.
Valentino turned 24 yesterday and we hope to see him have a few more birthdays as a Magpie.
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) March 24, 2020
Which On Loan Left Back Should Newcastle Pursue This Summer?
- Jetro Willems (52%, 600 )
- Both (28%, 318 )
- Neither (12%, 137 )
- Danny Rose (8%, 95 )
Total Voters: 1,150