web analytics

Former Hull Left Back On Klopp’s Radar Could Be Decent Summer Signing For Magpies

Vitesse left back Max Clark could be an astute summer signing for Newcastle. We’ve not heard of any links to the player, but he meets our transfer policy and is English to boot.

The 24-year-old will have just one year remaining on his contract this summer. Steve Bruce will know all about him since he is a Hull Academy product though he didn’t make his senior debut until after Bruce had left.

Clark broke into the Hull first team in the 2017-18 season, making 27 appearances in the Championship. However, he rejected their contract offer and joined Vitesse as a free agent the following season. Vitesse paid a compensation fee of £400k for him.

That scenario sounds awfully familiar to the one Newcastle face with Matty Longstaff.

Max Clark– English left-back playing in the Netherlands

Clark has shone in the Eredivisie for Vitesse over the past two seasons. This season he’s come to the attention of Liverpool’s Jurgen Klopp and England’s Gareth Southgate.

The defender was reportedly a January target for Premier League leaders Liverpool as cover for Andrew Robertson, another ex-Hull City player. However, that move never came to fruition.

Clark reached the U17 level for England, last playing in 2012. Recent reports claim that Gareth Southgate has been keeping tabs on the left back.

Max Clark would not cost much money and could be a decent acquisition this summer. He can also play defensive midfield and would count as a homegrown member of the squad.

Clark is a modern fullback who is solid defensively but can also get down the flank and deliver crosses into the box. He only just turned 24 in January, so he has his prime years in front of him.

• Pain in the Blog

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:14 PM

Thanks for the confirmation hibbit.

I apologise if this has already been discussed on the blog but I have just paused my subscriptions to Sky Sports. It couldn’t be easier. Go to http://www.sky.com/pausesports (or Google it) and follow the instructions.

All 11 Sky Sports channels plus my recordings will remain available to me even though there is nothing worth watching on them. You can’t say fairer than that. BT is a different kettle of fish altogether.

• martoon

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:18 PM

Pain in the Blog – Yes I did it yesterday and mentioned it but no harm repeating it – it’s a pity BT Sports won’t let you do the same! Also I couldn’t work out how much I’ll save because it’s not obvious how much goes towards the sports channels.

• simon376

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:30 PM

Virgin won’t allow anyone to do that with sky sports or not last week anyway

• Pain in the Blog

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:30 PM

martoon,

My neighbour reckons he’s saving about £45 but he does get a bit confused. He said he went down to My Account on his Q Box and checked his amount due. The day after he had cancelled he did the same and it showed the new reduced figure. Mine hasn’t changed yet so I’ve no idea. I suppose you could check the amount owing (i.e. your next bill) as shown on the TV against your previous payment from a bank statement. Let us know if you get a figure,

• Bills Son Is Back

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:35 PM

Good shout on Sky sports – just paused our snow.

• The Wife

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:36 PM

Ed and Madeline stopped by the house today. Kept our social distance, of course, but it was good to see them. Everyone’s doing well. They had Milo (their dog) in the back of the car along for the ride – BONUS!! 😀

• Bills Son Is Back

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:37 PM

On the NUFC midfield trio…

I notice Merino has been included in a good few choices.

Strange for someone who played so few games.

Rob Lee has to be nailed on in all of the mid choices IMO.

• lochinvar

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:38 PM

For those of you waiting for the call just be sure that Ashley hasn’t rigged the phones to make reverse charge calls.
    If you hear from Bobby please tell him to get the drinks in and all the best.

Those that get a call keep us posted

Former Newcastle United captain Bob Moncur is to telephone elderly football fans to help combat loneliness as people avoid face-to-face contact amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Moncur and members of the club’s staff will ring about 1,900 season ticket holders who are aged 70 and above.

• magscar

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:39 PM

Just come back in from garden and catching up – some awful stories about human behaviour I despair at times but we need to keep perspective and not be dragged down by these scum( not a word im my usual vocabulary but its one that fits) and support each other and in our commuities strong and up beat with suppotive and upbeat messages

• magscar

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:40 PM

hit submit by accident in my annoyance – but you get the drift !!

• Bills Son Is Back

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:40 PM

Email from our vet today to say pets can catch the virus and pass it on to humans.

We’ve got two dogs and three cats and live out in the sticks – for those with cats, especially, in built up areas that email would worry me. Do you keep them indoors?

• magscar

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:44 PM

Its ironic but has the World and most of Mankind ever felt so connected by this escalating tragedy and how we are coping and supporting out health services and key workers

• magscar

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:46 PM

Bills

One of the “expert” doctors or scientists on BBC or on line said the opposite in response to a question – hope your Vet is wrong.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:48 PM

magscar

I’m looking forward to the 8.00 clapping for the health workers.
    Really restores your faith in the countless decent folk out there.

• Online Guy

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:05 PM

Has Asheley moved us to Shirebrook as yet ?

Shirebrook Rovers , if he could get away with it and unscathed the swine would do it .

Taking the best part of a thousand £’s from people’s bank accounts for a season of football that might be suspended, lost, not happening, because of human suffering, shows him up as the lowest of the low.

Making his zero hour employees , slaves almost , working for a pittance, and sacked if they are ILL as is his policy ..making them work in his warehouse on top of each other and him disregarding the high probability that young people , mothers and fathers of dependant children could be infecting one another with a killer virus has made me sick to my stomach .

A greedy man never knows.

Shame we can’t mobilise at this time and protest visibly on the streets.

Ashley has to go ..hes a disgrace to humanity.

• Munster Mag

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:08 PM

Billson, I didnt see the question, assume in was about great midfielders.

I absolutely loved Rob Lee. What a perfect player he would be for us now. Oddly, my sister won his shorts in a raffle in London, I think Green and Yellow? I may be talking pants, quite literally, but did we have a yellow and green away strip during Rob;s time here ?

• #cans

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:15 PM

@TheWife – Good to hear Ed and co are out and about and that you’re adhering to social distancing 🙂

• #cans

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:21 PM

It’s quite unbelievable that Ashley seems to have no intention top refund or freeze season ticket payments , especially with clubs such as Brighton already announcing they will not take payment – it’s not been a good week for Ashley at all … what a shame 😀

• The Sheikh'sMate

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:23 PM

To all the self employed lads and lasses I really hope you can get bye on the 80% pay the government are offering… I am, employed and I know I’m lucky as I’m on full salary… for now.
    Good luck guys.

• Munster Mag

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:24 PM

Hibbitt, not sure what your Irish cousins are saying but most here would say that the Taoiseach has been good. Same with his side kicks. His big mistakes were allowing the Italian rugby fans in for a non event . His speech was brilliant and the buy-in has been huge. Our biggest issue here is a health service that isnt bloody near good enough overall ( worse than yours I would think , maybe same ) , and too many fools in the younger age category not getting the message. The landscape on healthcare will be changed over here after this. Maybe higher taxes but if that’s what it takes to improve, so be it. Every time I visit my mum I dread it, but she is miserable if I dont so I just scrub up, wear gloves etc. Today she needed a lift in the bed. How do you square that with “Physical distance” as its now called here? Help your mum and possibly make her sick 🙁 . Oddly, mum loved Kenny Dalglish so we agree to differ on that.

• The Sheikh'sMate

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:25 PM

I wonder if fat boy will have the nerve to claim 80% of his salary. (my tongue is firmly stuck in my cheek)

• Munster Mag

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:26 PM

Merino was a loss.Lovely player, real athlete too.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:27 PM

It’s good that society is heralding the good work of the NHS and those stepping forward to help out others.

Rude awakening folk – the governing classes in this country do not really give a “f**k about any of these people – and have not done for years.

A tragic incident occurs and it’s weasel words trotted out that the person was a valued member of society and was wonderful at their job and was loved by xyz.

NHS, Fire Brigade, Cops, the Military, Prison Officers have been treated like shite for years.

• The Sheikh'sMate

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:28 PM

Munster.. Your mam, your doing a great job… a good son

• Mister Tuff

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:30 PM

Moanster yesterday you posted I was slagging off the EU the previous day. No such thing – please withdraw you erroneous comment.

• The Sheikh'sMate

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:33 PM

Mister Tuff@23
    Hi, I remember your name on here fairly often?
    This blog is quite open to most views about what’s going on in the world but is your post a wee bit negative and out of place with what’s going on at the moment?
    Just my view, thanks

• Jib

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:36 PM

Mister Tuff
    Please withdraw you erroneous comment.
    OR
    I’ll thkweam and thkweam and thkweam
    and stamp my foot and go red in the face

• Mister Tuff

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:39 PM

The new Chancellor Rishi Sunak seems to be doing a good job in the circumstances. Obviously a very intelligent lad.

Similar thought about the Governor of NYC Andrew Cuomo, NOW, whose press briefing are totally transparent. He pulls no punches.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:39 PM

I hope with all this time on our hands the consumer nation suffering at the hands of money grabbing businesses use their social media powers to log at every opportunity the scumbags who are trying to rake in money during this time and taking advantage of people’s losses. Im hoping a few businesses get their comeuppance for their shoddy behaviour at the end of this.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:42 PM

Munster,
    You’re a footin snide. You leave a post in a deliberate attempt to get people’s backs up then an hour later play the doting son. Nasty piece of work.

• Jib

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:45 PM

Jail for Ashley
    If you don’t mind me saying
    You read some weird shit into folks posts
    Was your Ma frightened by an Irishman ?

• geordietom

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:45 PM

Gary Speed for me , or do i go with Tony Green ? …

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:45 PM

Tsunki,
    Wow. I was just about to post saying I don’t think I’ve ever seen an advert for watch finder before, they know for a fact that people will get so skint that things like watches will be the first to go. Shameless.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:46 PM

The Sheikh – not intended to be negative in these trying times but a look back at reality.
    My comments reflect what I have learned/seen/experienced over many years. Had to get it off my chest – hopefully – more positive posts will ensue.
    Majority of folk are pulling in the same direction – but not all. Even on here – I look forward to your posts calling them out.

• geordietom