web analytics

Newcastle Likely To Lose Top Young Prospect This Summer

There’s news today in the Chronicle that Arsenal are interested in 22-year-old England U21 goalkeeper Freddie Woodman.

Woodman has been outstanding for Swansea while on loan at the south Wales club, and there doesn’t seem to be a way forward for him at Newcastle.

Martin Dubravka is in such excellent form since he arrived from Sparta Prague in January of 2018 (for only £4M!) it’s unlikely Freddie could become the number one goalkeeper next season.

Karl Darlow is the current backup, and he has been in good form too – and Woodman is not keen to be a backup at any club – he wants first-team football.

Arsenal’s current number one goalkeeper is 28-year-old German International (6 caps) Bernd Leno, and he signed on at the club in the summer of 2018 from Bayer Leverkusen

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta is looking for a young goalkeeper who can challenge the German International for the number one position at the Gunners.

Swansea would also love to sign Woodman (shown above) permanently, and the Newcastle goalkeeper is very popular in South Wales, but it seems like bigger clubs will be after him this summer.

Arsenal have scouted Woodman regularly this season, and since he doesn’t seem to have a future at Newcastle: maybe the club will be willing to sell him this summer.

Swansea boss Steve Cooper is very keen on the England U21 International:

“We’d all love Freddie to stay for longer than the season.”

“Whether that’s possible, we’ll have a look in the summer. I think he’d definitely like to.

“The affection the fans have shown Freddie, I think he really feels it and likes to show it back because it’s mutual.”

Steve Bruce has acknowledged that Freddie is a top up-and-coming goalkeeper as he said this recently about the 22-year-old:

“We’re very, very fortunate that we’ve got three or four good goalkeepers.”

“The kid at Swansea – who we’re monitoring – is doing very, very well.”

Woodman has resisted signing a long-term deal at the Tyneside club, and it could be that Newcastle will need to make a decision on him this summer.

If he does not stay at Newcastle, then we still need a new goalkeeper brought in and need to keep Karl Darlow at the club.

It’s expected that Rob Elliot, who turns 34 next month,  will be released when his contract experts in June.

Martin Dubravka recently signed a new contract which keeps him at Newcastle through the summer of 2025.

What do you think about this?

Should Newcastle Try To Keep Freddie Woodman This Summer?

• Yes (87%, 1,247 )
  • No (13%, 186 )

Total Voters: 1,433

Loading ... Loading ...

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:29 AM

Jib

That video proves nothing.

Completely different construction methods, two entirely different buildings, only thing they have in common is steel.

You have no idea whether the steel is the same grade or quality, which I doubt it is.

Watch the video again, less than a third of the size of the Towers, look how far out debris is thrown.

• Ron Knee

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:34 AM

magscar

Summers used to present World in Action.

• The overrated Frenchman

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:38 AM

Freddie Woodman has been soured towards NUFC by his disgraceful treatment by Benitez. He is as good as gone.

• magscar

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:44 AM

Lesh

She loves being with me ( and me her) – we’re all we’ve got at moment 🙂

But she regularly has to put up with my choice of music much of which she likes but in smaller doses than me

Her taste has been affected by mine (but not the other way oddly) but she is like many lasses into the upbeat sort – dancier up tempo and not miserable stuff like I dwell in (she says) 😉

She has varied taste from 60’s mainstream, Tamla and soul to Red Hot Child Peppers ,Bruce, and rock stuff.

I have gradually won her over to likes of

The Avett Brothers

The Head and The Heart

The Lone Bellow

Felice Bothers (some like Frankies Gun)

Which generally are at the more mainstream end of Americans music I like.I

I do appreciate up tempo as well but not disco ,hip hop garage Club stuff etc as I don’t get.

Couple of drinks mind and like many men I can dance to anything thrown at me (or think I can)

Back in the day I accompanied her to a local residents club where they did ballroom lessons and dances – had to give it a swerve as I couldn’t believe how many of the regulars had two left feet and got in my way 😉

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:45 AM

Frenchman

I don’t believe the Coronavirus is some sort of conspiracy, I think they’ve known for longer than they’ve let on and dealt with it poorly.

I don’t think 9/11 was a conspiracy by the CIA, however in my opinion those planes shouldn’t have brought those Towers down, the way they did atleast and that’s from personal experience not from listening to conspiracies.

As for Iraq, that was all about controlling the oil once Saddam wouldnt play ball, I’d call it a conspiracy to deceive the public.

• magscar

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:45 AM

Ron

Ah yes

• Ron Knee

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:53 AM

How to (not) prevent spreading the virus:

• Anglo Saxon

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:55 AM

Wel bobbybee will be in his element reading this lot, cue Bob.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:55 AM

• The overrated Frenchman

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:56 AM

#BoycottAshley. OK, I think we have stated our respective cases and we can leave it there.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:58 AM

Jib – that Doctor from the Lancet has been “discredited”. Few weeks ago he posted on either twitter or Instagram that there was basically nowt to worry about.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 28, 2020 at 11:02 AM

Jib.

See new Tweets

richard horton

@richardhorton1
    24 Jan
    A call for caution please. Media are escalating anxiety by talking of a “killer virus” + “growing fears”. In truth, from what we currently know, 2019-nCoV has moderate transmissibility and relatively low pathogenicity. There is no reason to foster panic with exaggerated language.

• Anglo Saxon

Mar 28, 2020 at 11:11 AM

OP not just a good read but a brilliant read mate.