web analytics

Same Stage As BZG – Local Journalist Heeds Familiar Warning With Takeover Progress

On Monday, Jason Burt reported in an exclusive for the Telegraph that the Premier League had been informed about the Saudi-backed consortium’s bid for Newcastle United.

In his report, Burt claimed that the contact was made sometime last week. On Tuesday, he tweeted that it was both the Saudi-backed bidders as well as Newcastle who have submitted paperwork.

The fact that Newcastle also submitted paperwork was confirmed by George Caulkin with the Athletic as well as Martin Hardy and Matt Lawton with The Times.

Luke Edwards, also with the Telegraph, though, isn’t as optimistic as his colleagues about how far along this process is. He does agree with Burt that paperwork has been filed with the Premier League, as he confirms in this tweet.

However, Edwards urges everyone to use extreme caution with this process. He doesn’t think anything is imminent at this point while also issuing a familiar warning about Mike Ashley.

George Caulkin claims in his Athletic piece that Newcastle have never been closer to being sold then at this moment. He reckons that the club are just a few signatures and a Premier League review away from changing ownership.

This is what Caulkin wrote on Monday evening:

The biggest of big pictures is that signatures — electronic, presumably, in this era of self-isolation — have not yet been put to the document which, subject to regulatory approval, would transfer Newcastle’s ownership. But rarely, if ever, has there been greater confidence from a number of sources that the printer ink will finally flow.

Luke Edwards, though, is still remaining very skeptical that this deal is that far along. He tweeted the following late Tuesday evening, which initially puts a damper on everything.

But to put things in perspective from when BZG released their infamous statements this past summer through Capital Radio UAE’s Peter Redding, it was treated with either silence or scorn from much of the press.

Keith Downie, Pete Graves, Mark Douglas, and even Luke Edwards all at the time were very skeptical of BZG’s credibility.

None of this type of denunciation has happened this time around. In fact, most journalists are quick to assert that they believe the Saudi-backed takeover has legs.

So we have to believe that this latest takeover attempt of Newcastle is much more advanced than the Bin Zayed Group ever was. However, Edwards is very wise to have his doubts with Mike Ashley still in control of the situation.

• JohnReese

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:02 AM

Missed the bus!

RobL

Thanks for the mention earlier, glad you’re starting to feel a bit on the mend.

I’m similar, at various points I don’t feel terrible then the fever comes back. Chest still feels awful, every time I breathe it’s like my lungs are just made of sandpaper or something.

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:09 AM

NYmag with your unruly mop I’m sure you’ve had many a bad hair day. Put ya dunces cap on. Ooh better not, over there a white pointy hat means something different.

• toon22

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:13 AM

What !!!

This might just be the usual bollix. ?

Who would have guessed

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:13 AM

JohnReese, mine feels a bit like sandpaper but just down from my throat. My lungs feel ok. Just trying to drink loads. Never been out for over two weeks now. So hopefully it’s just with sitting in.

• NY Mag

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:17 AM

Carltoon,

I have had many of both of those things – but no pointy white hats for me….

Just you wait until Friday when I unleash my YouTube inner self 🙂

• toon22

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:18 AM

Don’t forget to renew your season ticket

Before he starts giving them away

Again

• JohnReese

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:18 AM

Carltoon

I’m sorry to hear that, I’m sure you’re right and it’s just having to stay in, in one place for too long. A bit of honey rum or something like that to soothe your throat?

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:19 AM

NYmag can’t wait. Anyway take care everyone. Early night. Stay safe

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:20 AM

Will do John.

• NY Mag

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:23 AM

Carltoon,

Take care of yourself…
    As always stay home, stay safe and stay happy 🙂

• Munster Mag

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:23 AM

Rob and John, that’s one nasty disease. Problem from the start is that scientists have never advised ( as they should have) that normal breathing will infect others. We have all read about coughing and sneezing, but between me, wife, daughter, work colleagues etc, hardly and of us have been or heard a cougher or sneezer of note, yet the disease is very prevalent.

• NY Mag

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:25 AM

Munster,

What’s the new picture all about?

• WLtoon

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:39 AM

Has anyone ran a poll re the takeover? be interesting to see how many think it will happen

• NY Mag

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:44 AM

WLtoon,

I’m not convinced yet (although I want to be).
    But Ashley is definitely up to something

• droppy in Wallsend

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:45 AM

So same stage as BZG, so it’s all complete horse apples then.

• NY Mag

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:48 AM

Droopy,

I suppose that’s a fair way to put it 🙂

• RobLeenio

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:53 AM

Ha ha loving the new avatars! Reminds me of when we ended up with a plague of frogs on the blog. Very topical and creative!

JohnReese, stay strong matey and don’t be too proud to let the NHS know should you need further treatment – this is a nasty illness, if you need to get to hospital, you should get to hospital. Just them giving you oxygen would give your lungs some respite and a perhaps much-needed opportunity to repair. Mind, the choice of whiskey available in hospital isn’t as good as it once was, I gather.

Carltoon, same goes for you, if those symptoms worsen let someone know pdq!

• WLtoon

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:54 AM

NY Mag

I don,t think anyone is totally convinced where Ashley is concerned but i think there is something up.
    Did we get to this stage with the BZG? papers were,nt received by the FA as far as i can remember.
    I respect Caulkin and think he tells it how it is, he,s no patsy for Ashley, so m keeping my fingers crossed with this one.

• lesh

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:55 AM

Twas last week that Just a Fan asked why the nightshift was so genteel and I suggested it was the absence of troublemakers made it so.

Reading through today’s craic has been hard work due to some posters showing the pettiness and childishness of bairns in the school yard. Why do a hard core of posters, the usual suspects, set out to do nothing more than argue with and score over others?

Dayshift troublemakers – it really is time you grew up.

• lesh

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:57 AM

Wasn’t it Jib started the day with a new name to go with his old avatar? Jib, was it ‘Clever shit’ or something along those lines?

• NY Mag

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:58 AM

RobL,

I hear the NHS doesn’t give out black label anymore because of cutbacks 🙂

• RobLeenio

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:00 AM

droppy, I think the big difference is that when we heard it re BZG, the only source we had was BZG themselves. This time, it’s come from the Telegraph and the Times.

There’s room for hope that this time it’s different enough, though granted it could go either way.

• WLtoon

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:01 AM

Just noticed my Avatar. Wtf. Looks like an alien crab with a beak. Who put that on here lol

• lesh

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:02 AM

• RobLeenio

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:02 AM

NY Mag, the state of the world we live in….

😉

• NY Mag

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:03 AM

WLtoon,

Ashley is a Wiley Fox, no doubt about it.(ashleyF…..cue the soundtrack)
    I want to believe in the sale, just need some more definitivtive proof.

• RobLeenio

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:05 AM

WLToon, not intentional then? LOL

I saw Online Guy and Munster with similar virus / germ avatars and thought you’d all kinda played follow my leader a bit!

Did you have an avatar before?

• droppy in Wallsend

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:06 AM

Robleenio

Firstly I’m glad you’re on the mend matey. Sounds dreadful.

I want to believe I really do but let’s face it the BZG thing was a massive joke and even if Caulkin is right the parasite is still the man who makes the final decision.

• lesh

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:06 AM

The supposed takeover’s not going to happen unless Ashley comes out looking as though he’s won on any deal.

He’s been presented with press that says it’s almost done and the prospective buyers are expecting Ashley to reduce his price? He’s never going to go with that – he doesn’t do being beaten at anything.

The press might just have set things back.

• droppy in Wallsend

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:08 AM

Unintentional germ avatars, quick sanitise the blog.

• droppy in Wallsend

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:10 AM

Lesh

Here’s one for you. Guy that supported Bonnie Raitt on her last UK tour. Hell of a voice.

• RobLeenio

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:10 AM

Aye droppy, Ashley remains the great unknown. However, if the club have indeed submitted some paperwork then it suggests we’re at a more advanced place than ever before.

Ashley can still pull the plug at any point, but I reckon that would involve going back on a 95% agreed deal – surely it must be that far along to actually be notifying the PL of a possible change of ownership? Do you back out of a deal with the Saudi Royal Family when you’ve made that kind of progress? What does that do to your quality of sleep for the rest of your life?

And yet, it’s Ashley…..

• RobLeenio

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:12 AM

Looks like anyone who had a blank avatar is now a virus!

😀

• lesh

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:13 AM

RobL

Maybe the formerly blank avatars have finally found their identities?

• WLtoon

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:15 AM

Robleenio

Not intentional at all mate, ive never had an avatar but i have now. ha Im into alien reverse technology so i guess its pretty apt for me. Looks like something from The Time Tunnel 🙂

• droppy in Wallsend

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:16 AM

• lesh

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:19 AM

Droppy

Thanks for the Foy Vance. Never heard of him and must do some listening. If he’s good enough to share a stage with Bonnie Raitt, he’ll do me.

• droppy in Wallsend

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:21 AM

Lesh

36 is him again. My Dad raved about him at the time but only recently started listening to him myself he’s bloody good though.

• droppy in Wallsend

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:22 AM

Lesh

And this live one is pretty good too.

• lesh

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:31 AM

Droppy

You’re on a roll…..

Here’s one of my long time favourites and one that’s probably appropriate to NUFC fans today