web analytics

FA Chairman Gives Stark Speech On The Possible Future Of Football

FA chairman Greg Clarke gave a speech to Council today in which he discussed the strong desire to finish this season amongst other topics like the financial impact the coronavirus has had on football.

While he, like many others with a stake in the game, is still hopeful of completing this season, he forecasts a scenario that could be devastating for some leagues and clubs in the English pyramid.

However, Clark is issuing a call to arms to all involved in football to help ensure its survival, especially if this season cannot be completed.

Greg Clarke– committed to completing this season

Though during his speech, the chairman maintains his commitment to completing this season in its entirety which includes relegation, promotion, and title winners.

Here is some of what he had to say:

Returning to the issue of uncertainty, no one knows how long the lockdown will last and what social distancing measures will endure even when the daily rate of infection is much reduced.

Our Government is rightly cautious as human life is at stake, and prudence is our only sensible option.

We are committed to finishing the professional football season, as this resolves the issues of promotion and relegation together with title winners on merit.

However, we may not be able to finish the season as football is not our priority, human life is, and we will do as the Government directs as the pandemic unfolds.

Over the weekend, a report claimed that the Premier League was setting plans for a return this June. In fact, the league went so far as to tell clubs to begin preparations for that possibility.

This revelation was in addition to the statement released on Friday in which the league shared its hope that the season could be completed.

“It was acknowledged that the Premier League will not resume at the beginning of May – and that the 2019/20 season will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so.

“The restart date is under constant review with all stakeholders, as the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic develops, and we work together through this very challenging time.

“The Premier League is working closely with the whole of professional football in this country, as well as with the Government, public agencies, and other relevant stakeholders to ensure the game achieves a collaborative solution.

“With this, there is a combined objective for all remaining domestic league and cup matches to be played, enabling us to maintain the integrity of each competition.

“However, any return to play will only be with the full support of Government and when medical guidance allows.

“The sporting and financial implications for Premier League clubs as well as for The FA, EFL and National League were considered at today’s meeting.”

The reason for this push to keep this season alive has a lot to do with finances. It’s not just wealthy Premier League clubs who are affected by the economic impact of this pandemic.

Clarke continues in his statement with some very sobering thoughts on the future of some football clubs if this season is wiped out and contingency plans are not in place:

Football faces economic challenges beyond the wildest imagination of those who run it. The pandemic will be followed by its economic consequences, and all business sectors will suffer.

We face the danger of losing clubs and leagues as finances collapse. Many communities could lose the clubs at their heart with little chance of resurrection.

In the face of this unprecedented adversity, all the stakeholders within the game from players, fans, clubs, owners, and administrators need to step up and share the pain to keep the game alive.

Everyone should understand that the Premier League clubs are not immune from the impact of this, and whilst they are impacted to different degrees depending on their cost base, the potential overall financial impact is huge.

We must have a plan to ensure that English football is not decimated should this season be lost and next season blighted. We hope we do not need this plan as we are all determined to finish the professional football season; however, we would be fools not to develop such a contingency plan.

Those that lost their clubs because English football did not rise to the challenge would rightly judge us harshly.

• Jib

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:34 PM

no next button on previous

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:40 PM

jib …

is that why people have stopped talking …

😀

• Jib

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:41 PM

could be

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:49 PM

Geordie Tom

Its advertised as being on there, I can’t find it either.

• hibbit

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:01 PM

i think most people have got far more important things on there mind at the moment and family’s must come first, the senseless bickering of the last few days has been the last straw for some,
    what once was a great place to find like minded people, is more like a battlefield these days,

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:08 PM

OP … i know mate i looked on sky even searched for it another mystery eh ! …

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:09 PM

any way i’m still confident about the takeover …

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:14 PM

A salesman was demonstrating unbreakable combs in a department store. He was impressing the people who stopped by to look by putting the comb through all sorts of torture and stress. Finally to impress even the skeptics in the crowd, he bent the comb completely in half, and it snapped with a loud crack. Without missing a beat, he bravely held up both halves of the’ unbreakable’ comb for everyone to see and said, “And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what an unbreakable comb looks like on the inside.”

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:15 PM

Two men were quite drunk after attending a company party and wanted to leave the hotel, but they had no idea which way to go.
    FInally, they spotted a bellhop. “Hey, buddy,” John slurred, “how the heck do we get outta here?”
    The bellhop pointed down the hallway and said, “Turn left at the next passage, go down two steps and you’ll be in the main lobby.”
    They stumbled along together, but turned right and fell down the elevator shaft right to the basement.
    Moaning and groaning, Larry slowly rolled over and said, “John, if that guy thinks I’m going down the other step, he’s crazy

• lesh

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:17 PM

Geordietom

By, you’re in good fettle. Keep the funniest coming.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:17 PM

Chuck Norris frequently donates blood to the Red Cross. Just never his own.

Chuck Norris doesn’t read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

Chuck Norris can gargle peanut butter.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:19 PM

A married man was spending the afternoon with his girlfriend when she asked that he shave his beard.
    “I do like your beard, John, but I would really love to see your handsome face,” she said.
    “My wife loves this beard, honey,” he replied. “I couldn’t possibly shave it. She would kill me.”
    “Oh, please?” his girlfriend purred.
    “Really, I can’t,” he replied. “My wife loves this beard!”
    The girlfriend asked once more, and he sighed and finally gave in.
    That night, John crawled into bed with his wife while she was sleeping.
    His wife stirred, felt his face, and said, “Oh, Robert, you shouldn’t be here. My husband will be home soon!”

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:20 PM

A rather attractive woman goes up to the bar in a quiet rural pub. She gestures alluringly to the barman who comes over immediately.
    When he arrives, she seductively signals that he should bring his face close to hers. When he does so, she begins to gently caress his beard, which is full and bushy.
    ‘Are you the manager?’ she asks, softly stroking his face with both hands.
    ‘Actually, no,’ he replies.
    ‘Can you get him for me? I need to speak to him,’ she says, running her hands up beyond his beard and into his hair.
    ‘I’m afraid I can’t,’ breathes the barman, clearly aroused. ‘Is there anything I can do?’
    ‘Yes there is. I need you to give him a message,’ she continues huskily, popping a couple of fingers into his mouth and allowing him to suck them. ‘Tell him,’ she says, ‘that there is no toilet paper or hand soap in the ladies’ toilet.’

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:22 PM

– Wave properly you stupid bitch!
    – Nan please, that’s the Queen…

• carltoon

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:42 PM

Tom as good as your jokes were, I laughed loudest at you dropping the paint. Sorry about your daughter’s ankle.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:47 PM

Carltoon …

wor lass didn’t laugh i can tell you that , my daughter’s toe’s have gone black now . hopefully its not to serious .

cheers about my daughter …

• DaveD1000

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:47 PM

Tommy Cooper Jokes: –

I went to the doctors. He said ‘I’d like you to lie on the couch’.
    I said ‘What for?’
    He said ‘I’d like to sweep the floor’

I went to the doctors. He said ‘What appears to be the problem?’.
    I said ‘I keep having the same dream, night after night, beautiful girls rushing towards me and I keep pushing them away’.
    He said ‘How can I help?’.
    I said ‘Break my arms!’

I went to the doctor the other day,
    I said ‘it hurts when I do that’
    he said ‘ well don’t do it’

I went to the doctor the other day,
    I said ‘with all the excirment of Christmas I can’t sleep”
    he said ‘ Try lying on the edge of your bed, you’ll soon drop off’
    My wife had a go at me last night. She said ‘You’ll drive me to my grave’.
    I had the car out in thirty seconds.

I went up into the attic and found a Stradivarius and a Rembrandt.
    Unfortunately Stradivarius was a terrible painter and Rembrandt made lousy violins.

One year I got a bike for my birthday. So I went peddling off down the road and knocked an old lady down.
    ‘Can’t you ring your bell?’ She said. ‘I can ring my bell,’ I said ‘But I can’t ride my bike’

We were coming in to land, and it affects your ears, doesn’t it?
    The Stewardess gave me chewing gum.
    I put it in my ear. Took two days to get it out.

This little old lady was frightened. She looked at me, she said ‘Do something religious’.
    So I took up a collection.

A policeman stopped me the other night, he taps on the window of the car and says:
    ‘Would you please blow into this bag, Sir’.
    I said: ‘What for, Officer?’
    He says: ‘My chips are too hot’.

I got stopped again last night by another policeman. He says:
    ‘I’d like to follow you to the nearest Police Station’.
    I said ‘What For?’.
    He said: ‘I’ve forgotten the way’.

So I said to the taxi driver, ‘King Arthur’s Close’. He said,
    ‘Don’t worry, we’ll lose him at the next set of lights’

A man walks into a greengrocer’s and says, I want five pounds of potatoes please.
    And the greengrocer says, we only sell kilos.
    So the man says, all right then, I’ll have five pounds of kilos.

I had a meal last night,
    I ordered everything in French,
    surprised everybody,
    It was a Chinese restaurant.

And he said ‘My dog doesn’t eat meat’.
    I said ‘Why not?’.
    He said ‘We don’t give him any’

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:48 PM

of to watch the TV …

i’m still confident about the take over …

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:48 PM

off *

• WLtoon

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:56 PM

So Steve Bruce has moved back to \Cheshire with his wife while the season is shutdown, wonder if he will be coming back

• Pain in the Blog

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:00 PM

Good collection Tom. My favourite Tommy Cooper joke…

I went to see a psychiatrist and I said “Doctor, you’ve got to help me. I think I’m a dog”.

He said, “OK, lie down on that couch.”

I said, “I can’t. I’m not allowed on the furniture”.

• Just a fan

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:04 PM

Actually watched Tommy cooper last night on u tube .the colonel off faulty towers was on with him.

• Munster Mag

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:11 PM

Well Anglo, don’t say I didn’t offer. Droppy, NY, don’t say I didn’t try.

• Munster Mag

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:11 PM

WL Toon, any word on your buddy?

• WLtoon

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:12 PM

Just had to look at Tommy Cooper and i started to laugh, a very funny man

• WLtoon

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:17 PM

Munster

He is stable mate, i think he will be in dock for a while yet. Its frustrating not being allowed to visit , tho i understand why

• WLtoon

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:20 PM

Nice and quiet in the press the last few days. could it be total lockdown re the Takeover. Bloody well hope so..Its a good sign imo

• jane

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:22 PM

“Leagues free to decide whether to use new handball rule when season resumes”

“The “T-shirt line” or armpit – essentially where the sleeve on a T-shirt ends – will become a key marker on the player’s body for match officials, with anything below that being handball.”

how long before teams make sleeves on T-shirts longer. what if they are wearing long sleeves?

• jane

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:24 PM

how many staff have Newcastle put on furlough?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:28 PM

Super moon tonight, supposed to be pink but don’t look it a the moment.

Anyway just popping out for a good howl.

later.

• WLtoon

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:28 PM

Jane

is it not all staff apart from the first team squad?

• jane

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:30 PM

i just wondered how many staff the club have.

• jane

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:34 PM

“What is the meaning behind the Pink Moon’s name?

Despite its unusual name, the Pink Moon will not turn pink next week.

In the same fashion, the June Strawberry Moon does not turn bright red and the Sturgeon Moon in August does not resemble a fish.”

pink doesn’t refer to the colour of the moon apparently

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:39 PM

Question
    If season resumes mid June say
    And the Toon are back in training and one of the players goes down with Covid 19 and the players who have not had have to go into quarantine
    Then how do they play the game
    If most of the team are missing?

• Pain in the Blog

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:42 PM

WLtoon,

Yes TC was one of that very small band of men that make you laugh as soon as you see them. Michael Palin always did the same for me and, of course, Eric Morecambe.

• WLtoon

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:43 PM

Ile take a wild guess at how many staff . Maybe 300, including non first team footballers

• WLtoon

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:50 PM

Pain In The blog

Michael Palin in The Life Of Brian was so frekkin funny. He did several roles but the funniest was the bumbling Caesar with the speech impediment, side splitting