web analytics

Well Earned Praise For This Man – Our Player Of The Season?

Jamie Carragher of Sky Sports has today paid tribute to one of our best players and one of the best buys Newcastle have ever made – our goalkeeper Martin Dubravka.

We paid just £4M for him from Sparta Prague in the summer of 2018, after he had been on loan at Newcastle since January of that year and was in outstanding form.

His first game for Newcastle was the 1-0 home win against the Red Devils, and we saw the Slovakian International play an excellent match on his debut with some crucial saves.

Martin injured his knee in our final game played last month – the 1-0 win at Southampton,

But when and if the Premier League continues, he will be fit, and he has played every minute of this Premier League season so far and has probably been our best player.

We need only two wins in our last 9 games to be safe this season, and maybe we can do a lot better than that?

The many great saves the 31-year-old Slovakian (shown above) has made has meant points on the board for the team.

And it’s refreshing that we have signed Martin to a new deal through the summer of 2025.

This is what Jamie Carragher said on Sky Sports as reported in the Chronicle today:

“I think the Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka is probably as big of an influence on their team as any goalkeeper.”

“I’m not saying he’s the second or third best goalkeeper in the Premier League, but I think in terms of where you see Newcastle in the table, I think a lot of that is to do with the goalkeeper.”

“He’s right up near the top of the list and he plays a big role in the fact Newcastle aren’t embroiled in a relegation fight.”

Martin is currently rehabilitating with the help of his girlfriend Lucia and his dog Shay.

He will be ready to go whenever the Premier League is ready to start up again.

That’s good news for Newcastle fans.

Should Newcastle Retain Andy Carroll For Next Season?

• No (71%, 1,973 )
  • Yes (29%, 816 )

Total Voters: 2,789

Loading ... Loading ...

Comment welcome.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:46 AM

#1

• JohnJ

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:49 AM

#2

• hibbit

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:51 AM

I think we’ve got more than our fair share of Hypochondriacs on the blog, all desperately claiming i’ve had the “dreaded lurgy” LOL

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:55 AM

Hibbit …

you had the lurgy yet ? …

• hibbit

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:05 PM

No Tom so far so good,
    my eldest son and his family went through a worrying time but came out clear after isolation,
    one of his colleagues who he attended a meeting with is still very poorly,hence the isolation,

• magscar

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:05 PM

Pain

few threads back

PM chose his Cabinet recently after a landslide victory and ensured he surrounded himself with like minds ( as he is perfectly entitled to do). Any waverers or those not on same page like Hunt and Javed were jettisoned. Can’t recall if you mentioned Sunak but in his appearances he completely took stage from 8oris appearing calme and self assured without any rhetoric and bombast

I still believe last week and this week he could have safely and without loss of direction relinquished the reins to Raab and the Cabinet. Not to have done to my mind shows a recklessness and high opinion of himself not great Leadership – others will undoubtedly see it different and that is fine its a personal opinion but valid i feel

Hope that others will also recognise that there many who are not being in the slightest Political would find a “Clap For 8oris” inappropriate and insensitive to the rest of the sufferers and their families.

• lesh

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:09 PM

Geordietom, Droppy

At risk of being accused of being a hypochondriac, I’ve been affected by seemingly ongoing flu-like symptoms for a couple of years and I’m thoroughly pi$$ed off with it. Shivering disappears when the temperature hits the 70sF.

• hibbit

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:10 PM

we’ll find out a 8 just how many of the public support him,
    if you don’t agree don’t clap its not compulsory,

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:11 PM

Hibbit …

hope your son is ok mate …

• Big Bruce Stars.

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:12 PM

Jail you might want to go into chrome settings / privacy & security / site settings / View permissions and data etc.. you can sort by name then scroll down the sites listed to the ones bothering you, you’ll probably find they have popup overrides which you can change, and you can clear data already stored. That way you can still use legitimate sites but without their annoying notifications.

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:12 PM

lesh …

you ok at the moment ? stay strong mate …

• Anglo Saxon

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:13 PM

Lesh what type of home heating do you use mate.

• RobLeenio

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM

I’m not going to clap for BoJo, he’s one sufferer among many and while I hope he makes a good recovery, I hope that’s true for everyone. Why single out one man? It seems disingenuous and slightly creepy.

• lesh

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM

Hibbit

You again suggested I was scoring cheap political points over the clap for suggestion.

It is worth pointing out that it was the Chronic that published the ‘clap for BJ’ piece — could somebody have been trying to score political brownie points over BJ’s illness?

Can we take it that it’s ok to print views you agree with?

• Anglo Saxon

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM

Better still jail use (brave) better faster no cookies.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:17 PM

Just out of interest is Boris in a private hospital or with the NHS he’s helped to shaft on numerous occasions?

A slap for Borris would be more appropriate, were the public can dish out slaps to idiots who ignore the guidelines.

• lesh

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:18 PM

Anglo

It’s gas central heating – not ducted air if that’s what you’re driving at. But any thoughts’d be appreciated.

• Anglo Saxon

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:19 PM

Remainer, Rob.

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:22 PM

just had my food parcel off the government delivered this morning , anyone else on here getting them ?…

• Anglo Saxon

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:22 PM

Lesh dry air mate you need pots of water around the house used to drive me crazy did my sinus in eventually. Got this info from doc in the hospital treating me for sinus probs.

• JohnJ

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:23 PM

Thought you lads & lasses would like this:-

Classic!

• Lindisfarne

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:24 PM

As far as I am concerned Dubravka is #1 in the PL

• lesh

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:24 PM

hibbit

But when it comes to 8pm, what exactly are we supposed to be clapping for?

I’d understood the clap-ins to be in support of the NHS and all the brave souls involved in and risking their lives trying to deal with the virus.

Could the call-in have been hijacked so the media reports massive support for one person affected? Never, no, maybe?

• Anglo Saxon

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:26 PM

Tom why did you get food parcel.

• lesh

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:26 PM

JohnJ

Music?

Yup, I’ll go with that one.

• hibbit

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:27 PM

lesh sorry but that comment was not aimed at you personally ,
    if it had of been i would have addressed it to you , not like you to be so touchy, i actually always enjoy our personal banter ,

• lesh

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:29 PM

Anglo Saxon

Dry air make a lot of sense. Like many, I was brought up with coal fires and a throughput of air, no CH, and there never seemed to be the amount of ailments that we see today.

Thanks for the tip

• lesh

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:30 PM

Hibbit

You’re forgiven… again.

😉

• Anglo Saxon

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:32 PM

Lesh you will be surprised how quickly the water disperses into the air mate.

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:33 PM

Anglo …

i have serve COPD and emphysema and because of wor lasses health problems . cant go out stuck in for 3 months . wor lass applied for it mate . i know one thing i dont like long life skimmed milk yuk …

• Anglo Saxon

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:34 PM

TBM

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:34 PM

severe *

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:35 PM

Hibbit …

so it was aimed at me ? …

😉

• JohnJ

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:37 PM

The Animals – (Previously know as The Alan Price Combo)

Eric Burdon B 11/05/41

Alan Price B 19/04/42

Hilton Valentine B 21/05/43

Chas (Bryan) Chandler B18/12/38 – D 17/07/96

John Steele B 04/02/41

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:37 PM

TMB = Trojan Marching Band …

😀

• magscar

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:38 PM

Hmm

Although I have tried to keep posts apolitical this morning it seems several haven’t passed the filters as I am not used to having to adapt my text as many.

Shame as they are no worse than what others on both sides of debate have been panosting and equally valid and unhysterical viewpoint

I give up after enduring the clap trap of some on here.

I feel free speech is being poorly served on what is an NUFC Blog but all sorts of comments flow without being restricted and which in my view can cause more upset to some that anything i have posted just because of my naivety in manipulating the filters

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:40 PM

A beautiful woman loved growing tomatoes, but couldn’t seem to get her tomatoes to turn red.
    One day while taking a stroll she came upon a gentlemen neighbor who had the most beautiful garden full of huge red tomatoes.
    The woman asked the gentlemen, “What do you do to get your tomatoes red?”
    The gentlemen responded, “Well, twice a day I stand in front of my tomato garden and expose myself, and my tomatoes turn red from blushing so much.”
    The woman was so impressed, she decided to try doing the same thing to her tomato garden to see if it would work. So twice a day for two weeks she exposed herself to her garden hoping for the best.
    One day the gentlemen was passing by and asked the woman, “By the way, how did you make out? Did your tomatoes turn red?”
    “No” she replied, “but my cucumbers are enormous…

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:42 PM

Knock Knock
    Who’s there!
    Alistair!
    Alistair who?
    Alistairs in this house are broken!…

• geordiemark

Apr 7, 2020 at 1:10 PM

geordietom

I got my food parcel mate but ive sent it on to mikey boy but with added stuff like explosives 🙂