web analytics

Report – Newcastle Primed To Pull Trigger On Portuguese Attacker Wanted By Benitez

In May of last year, Newcastle were said to be tracking Benfica winger Rafa Silva for a summer move. The link came via Silva’s agent Antonio Araujo, who said the following at the time:

“They – Newcastle – are one of those teams interested.

“Whatever happens, will happen. Now, the main focus is to be a Champion in Portugal.

“Benfica know what Rafa (Silva) wants in terms of a new contract, so we are waiting calmly.

“I think it’s going to happen because there is a will from the club and there is Rafa’s will as well.

“The player is well at Benfica, now he wants to see his salary situation go to what he [feels he] really represents for Benfica.”

From these quotes, it appears that Newcastle, then coached by Rafa Benitez, were interested in the Portuguese international. However, the player seemed to prefer signing a new deal with Benfica.

Silva was having a tremendous campaign for the eventual Portuguese champions. Last season he scored 21 goals in his 44 appearances while adding 6 assists.

The 26-year-old was handed his new deal in June, and it was for five years to 2024.

The Daily Mail are reporting that Newcastle still have the winger on their radar and are mulling a £15m offer for him this summer.

The report claims that Benfica value Silva at £25m but that Newcastle may be able to tempt them into selling at the £15m mark.

This all depends, of course, on how much the global coronavirus crisis impacts both clubs financially. Newcastle have furloughed their recruitment team so Silva could be a player Nickson still has identified as a prominent target.

He joined Benfica in 2016 from Braga and has been capped by Portugal 17 times. This season he’s scored 9 goals with 6 assists in 25 appearances but missed over two months from October to January with a torn abductor muscle.

The report also claims that Silva is ready for a new challenge despite just signing his contract less than a year ago.

Silva would add a much-needed creative spark in the final third. He’s also a versatile forward who can play on either wing or as an attacking midfielder.

He could be a bargain if Newcastle can bring him in for just £15m, which could be realistic if transfer fees are driven down this summer.

• RobLeenio

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:59 AM

NY Mag “My daughters music tastes are far worse than mine (IMO)”

Yeah, I think we all suffer with that a little.

Mind, my daughter has recently pivoted from Ariana Grande to The Cure and The Smiths. That’s a Hell of a swing, and definitely for the better!

😉

• NY Mag

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:07 AM

RobL,

That is a hell of a swing….I’m impressed 🙂

• RobLeenio

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:09 AM

Lol, she’s had some encouragement. It’s only taken 14 years!

I put Wake up Boo by the Boo Radleys on the Alexa in her room this morning. Not sure she was very impressed, but it made me laugh!

• RobLeenio

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:10 AM

Just watching Nikos Dabizas tearing the Mackems a new one on Jermaine Jenas’ Match of Their Day. Sweet memories.

• The Wife

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:10 AM

The Cure and The Smiths?

Now we’re talking! 😀

RobLeenio, your daughter’s come to her senses, lol. 😉

• RobLeenio

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:13 AM

I used to have Wake Up Boo as my alarm track when I worked at the Walkers crisp factory in Lincoln in my late teens. No digital music then, I had to programme my CD player multi-changer to do it, so I actually used to wake up to the grinding sounds of the CD loading. Best I could do at the time, it defo worked at 5am every day.

• RobLeenio

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:17 AM

The Wife, She’s getting there. Not got her into Siouxsie and the Banshees yet, but I’m working on it.

The son’s into Muse at the moment, I can’t go anywhere without ‘Plug in Baby’ rattling round in my head. There are worse ear-worms.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:18 AM

fellow – could be gender neutral :-

“used to refer to someone who has the same job or interests as you, or is in the same situation as you: “

• The Wife

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:23 AM

Gotta be “Hysteria” when it comes to Muse.

The opening bass line is a thing of beauty.

• RobLeenio

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:29 AM

Ah, The Wife, you’re talking my language here. I’m a sucker for a great bass line.

Had a brief ‘career’ as a bassist, I played Backwards Dog by the Soup Dragons in my one and only live gig, as part of a school rock competition. We came second, beaten by an original track from an A Level music student. It was a decent track, to be fair.

• NY Mag

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:33 AM

just catching up, it was nice of Magscar to comment and confirm he’s OK (thank you for that).

Would still like like to hear from EGB…(just a hello would be nice)

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:33 AM

The Smiths were great, but I never really liked the Cure all that much. Pistols, Clash, The Jam, The Saints.

Around the same time, I had this 45 almost on a constant loop on my little turntable, surely much to my parents great annoyance, although they didn’t dare knock on my bedroom door to complain.

But what a great track, when you’re 16 and moody, with little but football, girls and a bit of independence on your mind.

• lesh

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:35 AM

Well, if the press are putting out transfer target talk, I’d guess that Ashley’s trying the business as usual bit, the precursor to the plug being pulled on the hoped-for takeover.

Deja vue comes to mind, again

• NY Mag

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:36 AM

RobL,

The bloody soup dragons….oh dear, oh dear, oh dear
    Clearly we’ve found something to fight about 😀

• lesh

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:37 AM

NY Mag

Essex did say that he and Mrs Essex were suffering a bit with one thing and another.

Maybe The Wife could send him a how you doing sort of mail?

• The Wife

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:39 AM

RobLeenio,

Slightly less impressive, but I know a guy (not Neil, haha) who can play bass on “Hysteria” on expert level on Rock Band, and get through the whole song. LOL!

(I usually play drums.)

• Online Guy

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:44 AM

Was it George Caulkin who kicked off this latest takeover frenzy ? ” It’s never been closer” etc.

No words of denial from Ashley ..nothing concrete after GC’s Claim .

Newcastle fans going through a gamut of emotions , hopes, dreams .

Forgive the clichè , Led down the garden path.

We are media fodder it seems .

• The Wife

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:44 AM

Nicky,

Ahhh, The Cure was my whole world in high school. I thought their lyrics were so poetic. Had posters of them up on the bedroom walls, bought every album (cassettes, of course), the whole deal. *sighs with nostalgia*

• RobLeenio

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:45 AM

Ah, Nicky, I feel badly for you, you’ve obviously just never been properly introduced.

Try this…..

The Cure in Orange, so good it was even screened by the BBC.

Great bass line on this track, also, btw.

Their Glastonbury set last Summer was phenomenal.

Here’s a link to Backwards Dog, just for NY Mag.

• The Wife

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:47 AM

lesh,

I can certainly reach out to EGB tomorrow via email and see how things are going. Be glad to do it.

• toon22

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:35 AM

Lesh

Yep
    The usual rubbish
    13 years of it now

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:42 AM

I’m fine

I see that OLG is still claiming credit for naming the ‘nightshift’ what next the bus?

Anyway still following the blog but find a certain someone’s holier than anyone else’s pontificating too tedious so as Robleenio said i’m having a blog furlough, will return when something interesting happens.

That light at the end of the for sale tunnel just never seems to get any closer.

Be good everyone, to quote an American General, I’ll be back!!

• The Sheikh'sMate

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:43 AM

Hi folks… Wow, this is the latest ive stayed up for this blog.. I’m only 65years young… Am I old enough? Haha
    Haven’t been on for a day or two as I felt it was becoming too bitchie
    What’s going on??

• The Sheikh'sMate

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:48 AM

Have been watching “Last Post” on Netflix and its OK but there’s an actress who plays the part of an alcoholic man eater (right up my street) absolutely stunning she is… Behave..

• The Sheikh'sMate

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:49 AM

Tumbleweed… Tumbleweed.. Tumbleweed

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:55 AM

Sheik,
    An attractive alcoholic man-eater? I’d leave my girlfriend for her. She ticks all the boxes. Shame she’s not real.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:59 AM

The Cure were my favourite band, but generally not that great the few times I’ve seen them live. Depeche Mode were spectacular live though.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:06 AM

Cheers for “The Last Post” Sheikh’s Mate, am downloading it now, my Yemeni neighbour will like that too (he waxes lyrical about what the Brits did for his country in the late 60s).

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:21 AM

Russia is clearly lying about their numbers or doing a shoddy job of counting. Of 99 new cases in China yesterday, 97 came from abroad with 72 coming from Russia – 51 of them were on the same flight. If a huge percentage of a plane is infected, it means a huge percentage of the country they came from is infected.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:32 AM

Dubai,
    Do you guys have these covid-19 apps that use your phone to alert you if you’ve been in close proximity to an infected person? We can’t get into any crowded places without them here as you get a green light if you’re healthy and red/ orange if your’e in danger. At this point you have no choice but to go get checked to get the green light again. They’re becoming compulsory here and I heard the middle east is using them too.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:52 AM

Just a fat Dave – not that I’m aware of, I live in the sticks though (had enough of cities), I know that if you even want to leave your front door in Dubai you need to request it on some app, you can’t even go to the grocery on the corner or walk the dog without permission, that doesn’t happen where i am – but the beer shop insists you wear a mask to go in – so i just said what I wanted from outside and they brought it to me.

I’m surprised the Gov haven’t brought in an app like that mind you, it seems the sort of thing they like doing – snooping on peoples whereabouts and who they interact with “To keep the country safe”. Yeah right.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:29 AM

JaFDB,
    Given that the Chinese were apparently slow to react and tried to hush it up added to the masses of densely populated cities and migratory work force, isn’t the death toll suspiciously low over there too?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:32 AM

OR was the whole country bar 0.001% vaccinated against Covid 19 last year and the city of Wuhan sacrificed in an economic warfare attack 😮

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:37 AM

*disclaimer
    I haven’t gone all CT on your sheet, that is not my view but my very sensible neighbours. I don’t believe OR disbelieve it.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:40 AM

However I do disbelieve that Bill Gates has a black leather swivel chair, a white fluffy cat and sharks with freakin laser beams attached.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:45 AM

We just switched the 5g off and it all went back to normal, Jail.

As long as you can still get beers, Micky.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:59 AM

Yep “Just a Fat Dave Bassett”, takes the hashtag #cans to a wholly different place and meaning.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 12, 2020 at 7:10 AM

The self titled ‘Mellow Fellows’ could easily become known as the InCAS (Instant Coffee Appreciation Society).