web analytics

Ashley-Preferred Journalist Raises ‘Alarm Bells’ Over Takeover Claims

The Mail’s Martin Samuel is sounding ‘alarm bells’ in his latest article about Mike Ashley and takeovers. Samuel infamously interviewed Ashley in the wake of Rafa Benitez’s departure last June.

During that ‘interview’, Ashley spoke about the reported interest of BZG, which had been brewing in some quarters of the press during late May and the month of June. This is what Ashley said at the time:

“The day someone buys Newcastle, they’ll do their due diligence – and finished. It will happen like Manchester City. By the time the media find out, it’s already complete. There’s no need for a delay with Newcastle. It is, honestly, a very well-run football club.

“The last bid, the one from UAE, he’s a prince, and he’s got £38bn or £100bn, all these numbers — well, why would you even care what you’re paying then? What difference would £10m either way make? You would want speed, you would want certainty, you would want the keys and to get on with it.”

Samuel seems to reference these remarks by Ashley in his latest article.

This time around, Samuel seems skeptical of claims that a deal has been agreed between Mike Ashley and the Amanda Staveley-led consortium, as recent reports are claiming.

Samuel wastes no time in his latest piece to take a shot at Amanda Staveley, who he claims Ashley sees as a time waster and self-publicist. He doubts that Ashley would concede defeat to Staveley and sell for less than his asking price of £340m.

The consensus this week seems to be that the agreed price between the two parties is £300m and not the £340m that has generally been reported as Ashley’s asking price.

It’s also been claimed that this agreement was reached last week and that everything now rests in the hands of the Premier League, who are conducting their owners’ and directors’ tests.

However, Samuel channels his previous interview with Ashley to cast some doubt that what has been reported is accurate. This is what he writes:

The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia has total estimated assets of £256billion. The difference between the £340m Mike Ashley wants for Newcastle and the £300m believed to be on offer, is 0.015 per cent of that wealth. And that is what has been holding this up?

The equivalent of £4.50 to a person earning £30,000 annually. Roughly the price of a pint of beer. Alarm bells, alarm bells.

The issue that he is raising is similar to what Ashley stated in his June interview about the Bin Zayed Group – If they are so wealthy and keen, what does a little more money matter to seal the deal?

We’re not sure how to take this since Samuel is a go-to journalist for Ashley. However, it doesn’t appear that he has been in contact with the current Newcastle owner.

Though, Samuel throws a very problematic spanner into the works with a scenario that would be typical of Ashley. The following scenario that Samuel raises does concern us a bit:

Some interpret Ashley’s silence as confirmation a deal is nearing conclusion and he is doing nothing to jeopardise it, happy to get his £300m amid a huge economic downturn. That would make sense.

A more cynical interpretation is that Ashley is letting the deal proceed, placing no obstacles in its path, allowing the papers to be lodged with the Premier League until the moment he can look his suitors in the eye and tell them, ‘Right, show me the money.’

Samuel’s contention is that Mike Ashley could have agreed to a £300m deal only to renege at the last minute and demand an additional £40m for it to be finalized.

We sincerely hope this will not be the case and that Mike Ashley has finally agreed to release Newcastle United from his fiendish grip. However, we can never rest assured until that has officially occurred.

• RobLeenio

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:30 AM

I don’t believe this for a second, it contradicts all the perceived wisdom from lawyers, pundits and journalists who have spoken up already.

Some last minute Ashley shenanigans, having a laugh at us with his big mate Martin Samuel? An attempt to put the wind up us?

The deal is done, it’s progressed to a point where he cannot back out without massive financial penalties.

Keep the faith!

• Mick

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:32 AM

For 2 days I’ve been preaching not to assume it’s done, don’t forget that the only thing official was the companies house document, but that was not confirmation of a done deal.

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:32 AM

Lets hope Bruce is shown the door ASAP.

• lesh

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:33 AM

He wouldn’t… would he?

I’d put nothing past the greedy git.

• Asi Fish

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:33 AM

Here we go again…..

Always doubt & uncertainties with MA.

I’m off to bed hoping to wake to more positive developments on the world at large as well as the NUFC takeover.

If it don’t happen this time remember that we are doing without SDFC right now so no rush to go back to his sh*t show.

Night all. Stay safe. God bless

HWTL

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:33 AM

Rob

• Muz

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:34 AM

The fact that there’s a charge in place would signal that somethings happening; why else would you do it if a deal hasn’t been reached? Samuels is just trying to p*ss on your cornflakes lads.

• droppy in Wallsend

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:34 AM

So we have Ashley ally Samuel saying this and fellow Daily Fail writer Craig Hopeless saying the opposite. Dear me no wonder people aren’t buying newspapers.

• lesh

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:34 AM

FloridaToon(SDFC)

Bruce is the least of anyone’s worries.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:35 AM

Rob

It’s a Raven I like to think of its as Hugin who represents thought.

Odins Ravens used to be white but as they went out into the world to gather the thoughts of humans the darkness of some of the thoughts gradually turned them black, so the original black and white birds.

They are of course corvids and closely related to Magpies.

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:36 AM

lesh

wanted to put that on last post but the bus moved. Not for me it isn’t, the sooner he along with MA is gone the better.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:37 AM

Bigjim67

Why do you think I’d be insulted by what you said, I thought it was funny and hearted it.

Sorry for the delay in replying been watching TV with the missus.

• Mick

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:38 AM

Robleenio

All this about to far down the line to back out malarkey is the press trying to get viewing figures, look at talks port, Jim White saying its a one off £300m payment where everywhere else it has a deferred £150m agrement as part of the deal, officially all we’ve had is 1 document which tells us very little.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:39 AM

I reckon there’ll be riots in the Toon if this fell through.

• RobLeenio

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:41 AM

“Doesn’t a sales contract have to be signed before sending paperwork to the league for approval??”

Yes, it does.

There’s also been a deposit paid, £13m apparently. This was out of the mouth of the lawyers who wrote that long thread on Twitter explaining what the Companies House document meant.

We shouldn’t let Martin bloody Samuel wind us up!

• RobLeenio

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:43 AM

Bill, I knew it! I knew I hadn’t been watching too much Vikings!

Well, maybe I have

😉

Nice to get some of the lore from you too.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:43 AM

For those who want to know, the top five arms sellers are in order.
    USA
    Russia
    France
    Germany
    China

Have to say Germany was a surprise to me.

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:44 AM

Rob

Just wanted another opinion as by no means am I an expert. Obviously MA could back out but as you have posted (sorry if not you) there would be a heavy financial loss for him and we all know how greedy the little %^$& is.

• RobLeenio

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:44 AM

Muz, greetings!

Been a while since you posted, I think. Welcome back!

• Jamaal Dubravka

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:44 AM

Ahhhhhh. I honestly can’t wait for the fat c*** to go as we always have to deal with his bull**** and brown nosed journalists who love winding the fans up. No more drama please. We need new owners to update us frequently and update us correctly, not this primary school chatter rubbish which FCB and his minions conjure up. God. I’m so annoyed that we are even being put in this situation.

• droppy in Wallsend

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:46 AM

My first thought is that because it’s Martin Samuel who is a woefully poor sports writer and Ashley cohort it’s probably just bollix but for the first time in two days I have the tiniest of doubts.

Mind you PL don’t start tests until deal is agreed and would the parasite really throw £13m down the pan just to play games?

• RobLeenio

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:47 AM

I’m no expert either, but I have been paying attention to what the experts are saying, and they’re convinced.

I pay little attention to most journalists, honestly. When some fella chucks out some nonsense like this, however, it’s hard to not pay attention.

I’ll try and dig out that twitter thread, it’s far more informative than me!

😉

• Jamaal Dubravka

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:49 AM

I want to be able to feel like the owners are on OUR side. I want the owners to match our ambition. I to be able to buy a pie at half time or merchandise from the club store so i can support the club properly and not see my money go directly into Ashley’s pockets. Enough is enough. Ashley is going. Believe guys

• carltoon

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:49 AM

Oh the journalist out in force, honestly why do they do it. That Samuel is just quoting the interview from the last time. He doesn’t want to be left out. Got to stir up. Jamie Rednapp whose friend with Reubens Son. More less the deals done, and he said they can’t wait to get started.

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:50 AM

I believe I have caught up today, for the most part anyways. For managers I would accept any of the 3 names I have seen most…Rafa, Allegri or Poch. On the stadium, I don’t see many changes, as least for awhile but the new owners will definitely want to increase revenue as much as possible so I can see a new state of the art stadium (75k) built in a few years.

For Joe, well he was bought under MA so any money from him being sold is a profit to the new owners….I am on the fence personally because he is still young but would lose any sleep if sold.

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:51 AM

wouldn’t not would

• carltoon

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:53 AM

The Chronicle have the Jamie Rednapp interview. He says they have been negotiating for a year.

• carltoon

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:55 AM

It’s impossible to catch up on the blog if you leave it for an hour it takes two to catch up. Just like old times 🙂

• RobLeenio

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:00 AM

This is the original thread from the legal eagles on the Companies House documents

There’s a podcast here which goes into a little more detail – 15 minutes

There’s another thread here which explains the Directors and Owners test. The 17th post says “Everything is now with the FA so assuming there is a sale agreement in place (which it looks like there is) Ashley cannot stall (or rush through) this part of the Takeover.”

• Mick

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:00 AM

Putting assumptions to one side, there is only 1 document at companies house which has started all of this, that document tells us very little, yet so many exclusives, assumptions have been made from it, I desperately want this to go through, but I ain’t going to celebrate yet.

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:00 AM

carltoon

You just have to know which ones to read and which to skip.

• Mick

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:03 AM

cartoon

I’ve seen the Jamie Redknapp interview, what he said is “what I’ve heard” not once did he mention Jamie Reuben, again it’s assumptions.

• RobLeenio

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:03 AM

If people would like to see how Martin Samuel’s colleague at the Daily Mail Craig Hope is reporting it, here it is.

“Exclusive: £300m #NUFCTakeover now in hands of Premier League with all necessary paperwork lodged”

• RobLeenio

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:04 AM

“You just have to know which ones to read and which to skip.”

Don’t skip mine, I’ll be heartbroken!

😉

• Mick

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:09 AM

Robleenio

It’s not just the Mail with contradictions, talksport as well, Allardyce asking why billionaires bed a £150m loan whilst Jim White saying its a one off payment.

• RobLeenio

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:10 AM

Mick, you’re right to be sceptical, we’ve endured enough over the years.

Jamie Redknapp mentioned ‘Jamie’ in his interview in the transcript I read. He could have been talking about himself, I guess…

“I have spoken to Jamie about a number of things and he was confident about it. I will be surprised if it doesn’t get done,” admitted Redknapp.

“I think it is just the sensitivity of it getting across the line right now. As we’re all working from home, it is not quite as simple as dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s; you have got to make sure everything is right.

“This has been ongoing for about a year now but I think they are as close as ever. It is a brilliant opportunity for them.”

• RobLeenio

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:13 AM

TBF, neither Jim White nor Sam Allardyce have a brain cell between them!

I agree that the contradictions out there, especially among colleagues, do nothing to either ease the nerves or dispel any confusion. Talking heads grasping onto snippets of news and coming up with their own interpretations. This is why I prefer to listen to people who you would hope know what they’re talking about.

• Dondatta13

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:16 AM

Surely to God, if someone was to bandy around LEGAL docs around Companies House with SJHL names and a sum of £150M plus an addition sum of £13M, the king of scuzz would be taking legal action immediately!

Chill, I think this will be his last few days with the keys 😉

• Mick

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:17 AM

Robleenio

I desperately want it to go through, but for me, as I’ve said earlier, 1 document at companies house is all any of us has to go on, including the press and pundits, and the truth is it tells us very little, it tells us something is going on, but what we don’t know.

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:18 AM

I can understand peoples pessimism given the past, but I don’t see a way this can be stopped by MA unless he is willing to take a huge loss and probably get sued on top of it.

1 2 3 6