web analytics

Report – Manager Who Rebuffed Ashley Last Summer Is Back On The Shortlist

The prevailing wisdom seems to be that Steve Bruce will keep his job, at least in the interim, after the takeover of Newcastle is complete.

However, that hasn’t prevented some top managers being linked to lead the club’s resurgence under an ambitious ownership group.

The links have primarily centered on a return for Rafa Benitez and moves for Max Allegri and Mauricio Pocchettino, who are both between clubs at the moment. Though others have emerged.

On Monday, a report in Italy named former Roma boss Luciano Spalletti as a possible managerial target.

Last week, Dortmund’s Lucien Favre was touted by Eurosport’s Manu Lonjon as being on the shortlist.

Jorge Jesus– the man, the myth, the legend

On Tuesday, a manager was added to the speculative list who contended this past summer that he was approached about the position under Mike Ashley. Goal is reporting that our new owners have Flamengo manager Jorge Jesus on their managerial shortlist.

In August, the 65-year-old proclaimed during an interview on Brazil’s Fox TV that he had been contacted by Newcastle after the departure of Rafa Benitez.

Jesus opted to take over Brazilian club Flamengo instead of joining the circus that was Newcastle United at the time. However, he only signed a one year deal and is mulling over an extension with the team he led to the Brazil Serie A title last season.

He is reportedly open to staying at Flamengo but is seeking a 50% wage increase, which the club could struggle to afford.

Jesus has had a long coaching career stretching back almost 30 years, which has been almost exclusively in his native Portugal.

He replaced former Watford boss Quique Sanchez Flores at Benfica in 2009 and went on to break numerous club records, including wins and trophies, before departing for Sporting Lisbon in 2015.

Jesus went through a coronavirus scare in mid-March when his initial test produced inconclusive results. However, a subsequent test cleared him of having the virus.

Were not sure what to make of these claims that Jesus is a candidate to become Newcastle’s next manager. However, one thing is for sure, he would be an entertaining presence on Tyneside.

• Online Guy

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:33 AM

forget to mention the time I put a call out and got the radio operator from an American nuclear sub under the polar ice cap calling me back .

Or the time I used a weather balloon to take a wire antenna up to 300 feet . Lol .

Or the times I worked on high incidence skywave signal experiments for the Gov’t

Or the fact I get to work with search and rescue time to time , raf, coastguard etc.

And have worked with the U.N when I’m needed .

Beats wat’s app.

• The Wife

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:47 AM

OLG,

Do you take your martini shaken, not stirred?

😀

• WLtoon

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:54 AM

Does anyone know if the SD signs are still up at the ground. I heard there were a few skips kicking about.

• toon22

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:02 AM

Id be concerned if they were coming down
    He wont pay to have them removed unless he either wants them or is replacing them

Neither should be the case here

Think the new owners should arrange to have them burned, maybe have some party to do so

• toon22

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:05 AM

If they cant be burned maybe hire a tank to crush them
    Im easy

• toon22

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:06 AM

Maybe get a massive cannon and see if we can fire them into space

That would be a right laugh

• WLtoon

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:08 AM

Cant see why you would be concerned if they were coming down, getting rid of the tat signs would be a positive move imo

• lesh

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:50 AM

WLtoon

If you want an update on the skips, you’d best ask Online Guy – he posted the ‘non-story’ yesterday morning.

Froggy

Rather than destroy the SD boards, don’t you think it might be a nice gesture to transport them down to Ashley’s place and dump them at the entrance to the gated estate he lives in. His neighbour’d appreciate the gesture.

• Online Guy

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:00 AM

The Wife

I’m 008 and a 1/2

Quite you will blow my cover !

• Online Guy

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:10 AM

Ny

If your still about .. I wasn’t preaching ! If you take it from my way of delivering things , usually, it is all done with a smile and in a freindly manner..possibly not conveyed well by me without the benefit of hearing the spoken word . I went back and read what you had left for me to read.

Thinking about it now I think I know the bit that got to you. Sorry.

I’m now intrigued by your involvement in electronics.

Iv just repaired a very complicated transceiver, all surface mount .

Seriously when I speak to you it’s always with respect as I think your one of the good guys ..you know ? So was taken aback by your post .

• Online Guy

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:30 AM

The Wife

I worked on the Mount Everest disaster , kathmandu a few years back . Taking messages relayed from base camp one, village , and relaying to Home office in London and UN in Denver and California.

Had the USA Air force fly out repeater stations ..uhf and vhf equipment and medical supplies 8 the next morning I told them around 2 that morning and they were organised and in the air pronto ..I was only one in uk picking up messages and was on air for 2 days no sleep.

Worked with the King of Jordan’s right hand man ..Amir .. we worked it between us ..working with royalty , all radio hams and all trained for that sort of disaster.

All phone lines were down and sats not cutting it in seriously bad weather .

My main link was a guy with a transceiver at the foot of the mountain and I lost him every time he had cloud cover because his only power was from small solar panels and his batteries were down.

I had messages from Bangladesh on our emergency frequencies , a team of 30 medics and doctors were trying to fly in but had no place to land .. I told your US air force guy I was on frequency with and they organised a team to clear a runway ..theres a lot more to the story …I think I was reading this site when I had a call on the air !

Many lives were lost and many were saved .. Had a good cry but all in a day’s work.

Amazing how you go into auto pilot and don’t think to much or worry at the time everything’s kicking off and busy ..its afterwards you think ..what was that !

Ps the U.N. guys were brilliant , Good Operators.

• Online Guy

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:35 AM

Lesh

Just caught your post .. I’m hoping we get the good news in a few hours .

Who’d be a Newcastle Supporter .

Hope your well .

• Online Guy

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:37 AM

Kip

• Tonyd3b54

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:40 AM

Toon22 maybe have an office space style demolishing where every fan comes up with weapon of choice and just beats the bag out of them? Before getting consumed in a violent rage while punching and kicking the remains

• The Wife

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:45 AM

OLG,

Wow, how interesting! Good to know we still have ways to communicate if fancy tech fails us. 🙂

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:46 AM

Oh just caught up on the blog. I enjoyed that True Geordie podcast. Rob that Chelsea bloke, oh jealousy, mind the Arsenal lad was very gracious, even though he had reservations about the ethics, he really wanted NUFC to go for it. Jail, The wife, Duolingo has took over my life, along with baking, otherwise I would go crazy over this takeover, just can’t wait till it’s done.

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:47 AM

Sooo I’m a domestic Goddess, who can speak french. 🙂

• The Wife

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:50 AM

Tonyd3b54,

Office Space is one of my absolute favorite movies!!

• The Wife

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:58 AM

carltoon,

Ooh la la, mon amie!

May I share your ID with Jail so we can have a proper contest? lol

• Tonyd3b54

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:17 AM

Fantastic movie The Wife! I’d almost be ok with no money spent with the new owners as long as I could watch a stream of everyone in Newcastle destroying the sd signs office space style. (Almost!)

• The Wife

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:37 AM

Time for me to catch some zzz’s. Good night and good morning, bloggers. Take care of yourselves and the ones you love. Be kind, and try to let the silly squabbles go. Soon, we will all be arm in virtual arm, singing Kum Ba Yah and clinking our #cans.

🙂

• Dondatta13

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:47 AM

As the deal inches forward (I personally think it’s done)….

Just like the Arabian nights tale Aladdin’s Wonderful Lamp; I give you have 3 wishes…

Wish #1 https://youtu.be/SH7vLvoS4M8

• Dondatta13

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:48 AM

• Lindisfarne

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:50 AM

LOL shortlist!!

• Dondatta13

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:51 AM

• Dondatta13

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:57 AM

Lindisfarne… Wish away buddy. I’m just posting some tunes on a theme lol.

After the long dayshift it’s just a bit of fun and an excuse for some music 🙂

And on that note (see what I did there).

Good night. I’m away to dream

🙂

• GeordieTwo

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:12 AM

OG that’s very impressive mate. Have I mentioned the fact that I once watched two men walk abreast? That’s way up there on the list of my achievements…..

• Assassins Inc

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:18 AM

I hope the first signs say, Amnesty and Bein can go sucks a camels ball sack.

Maybe they can use the SD signs and add to them ocial and istancing.

• Swanny

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:20 AM

Anyone remember the Harry Enfield sketch ‘Loudsa money’ ?

White Hart Lane, the Tottenham fans were mimicking the sketch by waving fake wads of cash at us scruffy Geordies,
    “What goes around comes around” !! Cockneys ha ha ha

• Swanny

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:24 AM

Just checked, that was over 30yrs ago !

• Unused Substitute

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:32 AM

At this rate we’ll have to move from the presidential style of football management to a parliamentary style with a 10-member cabinet of managers managing us.

• Unused Substitute

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:41 AM

If this link has already been shared, apologies. I just wanted to say I don’t buy the economic theory of the “dissident.” PIF started looking for opportunities in an effort to rid of Saudi Arabian governments excessive dependence on oil money.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:42 AM

• SA Toon

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:15 AM

I’ve been giving the matter of who should be manager a lot of thought. While there are some really exciting possibilities (Allegri, Poch), I hope they go back in for Rafa. He deserves the chance to try and waken the sleeping giant. He saw the possibilities when no-one else did and he showed the loyalty we all crave from our personnel. I think he gets the club, and the club treated him like sh*t. It just doesn’t seem right that it should go to anyone else – no matter how exciting. IN RAFA WE TRUST

• DubaiMicky

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:16 AM

RobLeenio, that was a great recommendation

Geordie bloke really giving the southern shandy drinkers jip.

• jazzyp

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:18 AM

Morning lads

Is today the day we finally get confirmation that we have been all seeking and so desperate to hear.
    If it happens then tin hats at the ready cos there is gonna be a lot of jealousy out there.

But ya know what who gives a crap..Definitely not me because every fan wants to see there club win the Premier league, And that for us is soon gonna become a possibility.
    Bring it on and f@ck up all guy’s. Embrace it,It’s a beautiful thing

• the crown princes nashers

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:22 AM

good morning ladies and gents, bit of a cloudy day maybe some rain considering we have hardly had any this month, aye jazzyp maybe its today but anyday will do me, aye saw that video micky I reckon the chelsea fan was a bit jealous about it all really, I do think it would take a good 3 years to sort our club out though

• the crown princes nashers

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:26 AM

I wonder what keys and dumb gray say on bein sports about the psg chairman being taken to court in switzerland about bribes ect ect no wonder they were spitting the dummy out over there sky tv rights, now saudi want the sky tv rights hahaha keys and dumb gray out of a job real soon, if I were them two I wouldnt set foot in newcastle upon tyne

• Ron Knee

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:44 AM

Miles Starforth@milesstarforth

Understand the proposed Newcastle takeover is set for Premier League approval. Announcement/confirmation *could* come as early as tomorrow. #nufc #nufctakeover https://shieldsgazette.com/sport/football

• martoon

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:49 AM

OLG – I really don’t know how you find the time to fit everything in. From saving the world on your Ham Radio through partying with the star’s and playing with top musicians. It all must keep you very busy?