web analytics

Report Names Consortium’s Number One Managerial Target As Well As Their Backup Plan

Sky Sports is reporting that Newcastle’s new ownership group is set to launch an audacious move to bring former Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino in as the new manager.

Here is a tweet from Pete Graves announcing the news.

In a subsequent report, Sky Sports claims that the 48-year-old has been identified as their number one target. The Saudi-backed consortium are willing to offer the Argentine a salary of £19m per year to be the new manager.

However, they do not refute previous reports that Steve Bruce will still be in charge for the remainder of this season. The move for Pochettino will likely be after this season is concluded.

The new owners are reportedly very impressed with Pochettino’s five years at Tottenham, where he kept them consistently battling for Champions League places.

Sky Sports also is reporting that Rafa Benitez is the backup plan if the move for Pochettino is unsuccessful.

Earlier today, we reported on how Pochettino was leading the poll as our fans’ preferred managerial choice under the new ownership group.

Which Manager Would You Like To Manage Newcastle Under New Owners?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:36 PM

Pete Graves mention ‘sources’. If they’re close enough to the deal to hand them details like this, surely they’ve given them other details also.

So, if you believe they’re right about Poch, you also have to think that Sky know more than they’re letting on. So far.

I think it’s just speculation at this point, will be interesting to see what shakes out when the takeover is actually finalised.

• DaveD1000

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:39 PM

These guys need to hire a better negotiator. I mean first offer 19mill? he is gonna come back with yea and some new wheels monogrammed jackets a new phone and LV’s

• norfolknhope

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:39 PM

Just remember this point folks, would you of taken the last decade of dross fo what we may get, nothing will ever compensate for what Ashley has served us over that time, don’t forget that and get carried away, the heart and soul was ripped out, there were got points, but God its p**s just existing and making up numbers. A running joke. We will be trually hated now, but not a laughing stock! Never ever forget what has been done to the club by just 1 man, 1 man vs thousands. But we won the war, and hopefully the press will see this once it is done.
    #gone but not forgotten.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:41 PM

norfolknhope, I get what you’re saying, but if he’d not pi55ed the Arabs off 12 years ago we’d have been Man City by now.

• geordietom

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:43 PM

Jamal Lascelles brother is called Jalen Lascelles …who whoever asked

• Captain AmeriMag

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:44 PM

Hi Mauricio,

Is that £360BN in your pocket or are you just happy to see me??

😉

#CANSCANSCANS

• Munster Mag

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:45 PM

Ah wud absolutely LUV it, LUV IT, if we got him!

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:45 PM

The only reliable sources i know are Heinz and Daddies

• Jib

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:46 PM

RobLeenio
    There’s talk of the different parties involved making sure
    their statements are co-ordinated time wise , so the media
    outlets will just have to hold their water.

• geordie157

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:46 PM

Poch will have played a part in developing the likes of Son and Kane but I like how he’s developed academy players too. Harry Winks being a great example.

Could argue he may have been forced to at times as he wasn’t backed to make the signings he wanted but he’s developed players, improved sides, played a good brand of football. Engages with the fans and is good with the media, only thing he’s lacking is a trophy.

I think he’d develop Sean Longstaff into a Lampard type attacking midfielder, Matty for me could be another Rob Lee being box to box and good on the ball.

ASM should fine tune his game, like Traore has been doing at Wolves. The nucleus of the side is in place, add some real quality to that, exciting times ahead and in time we can attract some of the top names. Right now though I think we will be in that group in the market with Leicester and Wolves, as much as I’d love to see Werner as our no.9 and a Saul in our midfield, we’ll be on the next tier of signings. Dembele of Lyon, Eggestein of Bremen for example.

Actually think there’s two Eggesteins at Werder, can’t remember which one is getting rave reviews. Max I think.

Offload Gayle, Muto, Kraft, Yedlin, Saivet

Bring in Dembele, M.Eggestein, M.Aarons, Lazaro, Willems/Rose, McNeil

Then another striker to replace Carroll

• Rotonda heights

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:46 PM

I wouldn’t be too sad for bruce. He dumped all over SW, when he was S’land manager he categorically stated that NUFC was definitely not his dream job and he will get a nice pay off to boot. A proper manager with miggy, willems, st max and a 40m striker would have had us higher than languishing in 13th. No way has he done a brilliant job unless your expectations have been managed to an incredibly low level.

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:47 PM

I know, i know, to all you nitpickers out there… Its spelt differently

• Jib

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:47 PM

geordietom
    Someone call Lascelles – Jermaine
    I was ribbing them

• Munster Mag

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:48 PM

From Hatem…..BUT Poch compared to the other choices – Allegri, Rafa etc. I think Rafa and Allegri have been just as attacking as Poch, played good football, and they have won things (at different clubs)

Yes they have won more, but i think Poch is on the up in his career and Rafa isnt.

There is also no way that you can say Rafa and Poch play similar football. Totally different philosophies.

Both men would have huge positives and not too many negatives so in reality we would be spoilt for choice, especially with Allegri too.

But I personally would love Poch’s high tempo high press modern approach. Spurs were always a good watch. Rafa could possibly get us a trophy quicker, thast important.

But what a boost for the clubs profile if we get Poch.

• Munster Mag

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:49 PM

Rotonda I think you’re a wee bit harsh but we wont fight.

What I would say is that not many neutrals would agree with you ?

• IrishRob

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:50 PM

One thing I cant stand on here is reading the comments then reading the exact same thing 30 mins later as a blog post.

Who else gets soo excited glancing at a new pist only to read it’s old news.

I’m getting impatient asf 🙁

• DaveD1000

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:50 PM

• Rotonda heights

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:51 PM

i wonder what bishop will have written for ash’s statement. Probably along the lines of ” I tried my best and I’m sorry I couldn’t bring the success the fans crave but I believe I have delivered the best possible new owners to acheve the goals the fans aspire to…blah bah blah”.

Now where’s that 300M !!!

• #cans

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:52 PM

The press know very little and crate an argument from ignorance of facts, simply put they usually name a ‘source or sources’ which clearly can’t be either proven or disproven as a fact – a bit like a lot of people I won’t mention on this blog

• #cans

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:52 PM

create an argument even

• hibbit

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:55 PM

Munster is anybody really interested in what the neutrals think ????
    i don’t see many if any neutrals among our own fans????

• WLtoon

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:59 PM

I think Sky are no more ITK than anyone else imo . Will never forget Jim White saying the BZG deal will be getting announced within the next 48 to 72 hours. Yeah right

• IrishRob

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:59 PM

Geordie157 those are some very underwhelming signings, though very realistic hugely underwhelming. I dont think Lazaro is gonna be bought, I’ve a feeling they will release him back to inter, hes decent going forward but quite rubbish defending. Cant see them wasting 25M on him. When they could double that and realistically get Saha.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:01 PM

munster

i do feel that under ash we’ve been ground down to think that avoiding relegation is the sole target.
    What I like about MBS is that he said he ”likes to dream” i really think the sky’s the limit under this guy.
    No more nonsense z lister, 3rd rate managers like bruce and McCardew, no more 6th choice signings, no more paddling pools and wheelie bins, no more Bishop BS, no more charnley taking forever to negotiate a deal , no low balling offers, good communication and empathy with the fans, professionalism, ie no jfk swearing 49 times in a press conference. well the list goes on and on. I am happy with any of poch, rafa, allegri and JJ.

• IrishRob

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:02 PM

Rotunda that’s gonna be it word for word, youre bang on point there.

Hes gonna emphasize how he made us strong financially and then brag about how he waited for the best possible new owners to come in.

• geordietom

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:02 PM

jib i know i saw it thats why i put his brothers name on …

• Anglo Saxon

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM

Love to see Saha in the team with the other speed merchants we have, other teams will not know whats hit them.

• VanToonMan

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM

Afternoon lads and lasses! It feels like it’s getting closer doesn’t it?!

I wouldn’t take any notice of sky sports’ Poch breaking news – it’s just part of the rumour mill.

As harsh as it sounds on Bruce, irrespective of when we find out what is happening to the remaining season, it seems best for everyone to have maximum time to prepare long term – so I would welcome the new manager straight away.

Definitely think Poch should be number 1 choice for following reasons:

1. Young, trophy less and hungry
    2. Big name thus will attract big players
    3. Great style of football
    4. Already experienced at and good at developing young players
    5. Send a huge message to the rest of the footballing world about how serious the club are.
    6. It’s one thing throwing money at players – but you generally can’t go wrong at spending money on players COMBINED with throwing money for a big (currently successful) manager – and Poch with his top 4 finishes and CL final on a budget achievements is definitely that.

Man City announced takeover and signing of Robinho on 01 September – do you think we will have a new signing announced on the same day as well?? If so – who is everyone’s guesses?

To be honest I would prefer a new signing to be the manager as opposed to any player when the new manager has not been signed yet.

The right order seems to be – new owners and new manager – then new players.

• geordietom

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM

do sky ” KNOW SOMETHING ” or is it all just speculation ? …

• geordietom

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:08 PM

bus moved

• the Northumbrian

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:29 PM

I hope Rafa is not watching sky sports I mean fancy finding out you’re a backup from TV, that would Miff me right off thinking bout all the time I’d put into striving to help the club develop