web analytics

Magpie Thinks Takeover Would Be Great For The Fans And The City

Jonjo Shelvey recently got some rave reviews for his training performances during the lockdown. The Newcastle sports science team have been blown away by the stats downloaded from the 28-year-old.

Shelvey signed an extension to 2023 on March 6th. That was the day before our last game against Southampton which we won 1-0 on the fantastic individual goal by Allan Saint-Maximin.

The league was halted the following Friday due to the coronavirus pandemic. Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi tested positive the day before.

Since the league was suspended, Newcastle United has been going through a very public takeover which will hopefully be announced very shortly.

The players are not immune to all the takeover speculation that has been rampant over the past month. However, very few have commented publicly on the situation.

However, the Daily Mail has published some comments from Shelvey on the looming takeover.

Speaking to The Beautiful Game Podcast, this is some of Shelvey’s thoughts on Newcastle’s ownership change:

“We’re the same as the fans, we don’t know what’s going on. I read the internet and Sky Sports to see if there has been an update, We don’t get told anything, it’s just one of them, if it happens, it happens, if it doesn’t, it doesn’t.

“I know the club have been in this situation on numerous occasions but at the end of the day that club obviously pays your wages so for me it doesn’t matter who is in charge.

“For the fans, they want a change of ownership. If that happens it would be great for the fans and for the club and probably for the city, but like I say, I’m literally looking every day to see what’s happened, and you do see these hashtag #CANS everywhere.”

Here is the entire podcast from YouTube for those interested in watching it. He talks about the takeover at the 37-minute mark.

We love this interview with Jonjo. He’s so honest and is asked some tough questions about Mike Ashley, the rest of this season, his situation with Romain Saiss, and the struggles of Joelinton.

We especially like Jonjo Shelvey’s wry smile when Allan Saint-Maximin is brought up. He was asked about the impact of Allan at Newcastle and his answer was hilarious:

“He’s a lunatic. He’s class, man. He’s some player but he’s some guy as well. He’s one of them that just so laid back and he’s head to toe in designer gear.”

• geordietom

May 13, 2020 at 7:46 PM

wheres my answer
    i’ll tel you what after youv’e read this please put any remarks in about me there’s a good lad …

when you and your family went to Thailand , the talk was about you and lady boys i jumped in said some thing about you and lady boys which i shouldn’t of done , I made an apology to you , Which i may add you never had the common decency to acknowledge me . that in my eyes just goes to show what kind of person you are imo…

why didn’t you answer Jail ???

• Pain in the Blog

May 13, 2020 at 7:48 PM

Tackle from behind #119,

Apologies. I stand corrected. In that case, better tell G2 to bring back his Kabocha.

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2020 at 7:50 PM

geordietom,
    That was a five paragraph story about a bonsai, it wasn’t really a novel.

• geordietom

May 13, 2020 at 7:50 PM

i’ll tell you what after youv’e read this please put any more snide remarks on about me there’s a good lad …

why didn’t you answer Jail ???

• Thump

May 13, 2020 at 7:50 PM

@geordietom: I feel like chasing a response may be damaging the humility on display by the apology. Let it lie.

• geordietom

May 13, 2020 at 7:51 PM

jail this aint about Bonsai’s but i think you’ll like it …

• geordietom

May 13, 2020 at 7:53 PM

thump …

sorry mate but it sticks in my craw ,

• geordietom

May 13, 2020 at 7:55 PM

Thump …

i’ve took your advise it done over with .

• Thump

May 13, 2020 at 7:56 PM

@geordie: I know mate, just not worth the hassle for either you or Jail. Let’s just keep the cans on chill ready for Victory in Toon day 😉

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2020 at 8:01 PM

geordietom,
    Nice story mind nonetheless.

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2020 at 8:08 PM

Black’n’White’n’BroonAllOver,
    From previous, that’s a bloody good point, that article Bobbybee posted was from Main Stream Media, what are we missing here. If MSM reports something that a CT agrees with it’s used in their narrative, if it’s not something they agree with it’s an evil carrier of fake news designed to bring down Tr*mp???

• geordietom

May 13, 2020 at 8:09 PM

i’ll make an apology for that post i put on #6 i only aimed it at one person , SIMON and any other south shields lads and and lasses on here i apologise in advance …

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2020 at 8:14 PM

geordietom,
    Too late, you’ve upset the entire Cookson nation, there is a Fatwa being placed upon thy head as we speak.

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2020 at 8:15 PM

So, I guess we’ll have to wait until tomorrow before we hear anything, this is seriously grinding out.

• the Northumbrian

May 13, 2020 at 8:19 PM

Mate of mine from down sowf sent me a text earlier hm hm he said that st James park will be a dangerous place when MBS takes over an when the irons play you I won’t beheading there

• the Northumbrian

May 13, 2020 at 8:21 PM

Next text he sent was MBS will open a takeaway next the the stadium and call it burka king

• simon376

May 13, 2020 at 8:25 PM

Tom
    Shops here might be useless, but Shields is still a lovely place to live, but don’t worry I’ll forgive you this time

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2020 at 8:33 PM

simon376,
    Apperently our town centre never recovered from bomb damage in the war couple with disastrous decision making from multiple successive councils, have you ever been to Darlington, apparently Shields could have looked like that with its myraid of back streets and quaint walkways, but we just demolished decade after decade and left what is standing now. It’s such a shame because if your first impression is the coast and fair ground it’s nice, if you arrive on the Metro, you’re more than likely to get straight back on.

• toon22

May 13, 2020 at 8:35 PM

the Northumbrian

You can guarantee, right now, some one some where is getting that sign printed
    ( Lets hope hes not wasted his money )

• toon22

May 13, 2020 at 8:39 PM

Jane

What ya counting for ?

• toon22

May 13, 2020 at 8:46 PM

Your happy enough to post yer count every day
    But somehow cant say why your counting

Youve been at it 21 days ??

Its honestly the most interesting thing youve posted here

• The ledge

May 13, 2020 at 8:47 PM

Toon22.#20The last time he/she got a bit of action i think it is what was said on day 1 .

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2020 at 8:47 PM

Simon,
    Northern Threads is as good as any clothes shop in the toon and don’t get me started about Boyes!

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2020 at 8:49 PM

The ledge,
    This place has sled of a cliff this evening, dear gawd!

• toon22

May 13, 2020 at 8:50 PM

The ledge

LOL

Whatever floats the boat i suppose

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2020 at 8:50 PM

Nope, I’m definitely not doing it, I’m not going across the road to .co.uk, times are not that hard yet, I can see light before darkness.

• Munster Mag

May 13, 2020 at 8:51 PM

Tom, the man has zero class, as I’ve said more than once.

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2020 at 8:59 PM

Munter,
    The bloke harangued me for days on end about footin ladyboy’s while I was on holiday with my family, I paid absolutely no attention to his apology, what has that got to do with class.

• Tyran21

May 13, 2020 at 9:07 PM

I think Jonjo Shelvey can be as good as Andrea Pirlo, just need a good coach to play him well.

• Toonarmy of Frogs

May 13, 2020 at 9:16 PM

Know South Shields high street well (from hebburn). Every decision the council has made on the high street in 25 yrs has made it worse. Retail centres away from the main stream, moving Asda. The new metro and bus station is a massive faux pa’s, its in the wrong place. People use to walk from the market down a busy street. No more. Its terrible don’t see the point in going any more. Sad as they have no real plan, all reactionary development’s.

• Munster Mag

May 13, 2020 at 9:28 PM

Jail I poked fun at you too, in fun. And you took it really badly! He apologised, that shud be enough. If I went to Thailand I’d be expecting that kind of joking all day long.

• Munster Mag

May 13, 2020 at 9:29 PM

So Jail, did you…. You know… Sneak out for a drink on your own one night? 🙂

• HpoolMag

May 13, 2020 at 9:38 PM

DerbyTom from a few threads earlier you asked pray tell why I support Newcastle, are you of the thinking only people from the city should support them that should upset quite a few people on here. Knew I shouldnt have travelled this country and Europe supporting Newcastle spending a fortune on the way without the permission of someone in Derby

• Jib