web analytics

Steve Bruce Explains What Phase 1 Of Project Restart Will Entail

The Premier League is ready to start phase 1 of Project Restart as they hope to get this season back underway next month. These first steps are going to prove crucial to whether this season will get completed.

Newcastle’s players and coaching staff are scheduled to get tested for the coronavirus on Sunday. Hopefully, there’ll be no positive cases found from the testing.

Then the plan is to return to training on Tuesday. There will be many precautions in place to ensure that the training sessions are done as safely as possible.

This was all laid out to Steve Bruce and the players by Lee Charnley via a zoom conference last week.

Bruce was interviewed by NBC Sports’ Rebecca Lowe recently and he gave some insight into what the next few weeks will look as the players begin group training.

This is what Bruce had to say:

“I think it’s vitally important that supporters understand that phase 1 is to try and lead into phase 2 and phase 3. Phase 3 and 4 is to get back playing competitively. We understand that’s going to be behind closed doors.

“I think it’s vitally important that we get through Phase 1. The way it’s been explained to myself and my staff and the players of what exactly Phase 1 is – there’s 4 or 5 training to a pitch. So we have 8 to 10 training across two pitches.

“It couldn’t be any safer in that environment which is the main step to get into phase 2 and 3. We hope that it goes clear. We’ve got the benefit of testing, and that’s vitally important for everybody.

“I’m sure that we’re as safe as what we can be with the first phase of trying to ease the lockdown.”

Steve puts a lot of emphasis on how important the early stages of Project Restart is. For football to have any chance of returning next month, phase 1 has to prove a success.

We hope it all goes off without a hitch but there’s likely to be some setbacks.

The Bundesliga returned on Saturday with many noticeable precautions put in place.

The players were forbidden to touch while celebrating which made for some interesting optics. Similar precautions will likely be in place when the Premier League returns next month.

However, for that to become a reality the next few weeks are going to be vitally important, as Steve Bruce says.

• Jail for Ashley

May 16, 2020 at 8:14 PM

Is he still here?

• The Hit Man & Her

May 16, 2020 at 8:21 PM

Munster Hartlepool equates equally with Weston super mare, Lintz, Skopje, Guangdong, Kuala Lumpur, Paris, Milan, Abu Dhabi, Fort Lauderdale…all places I have been. I don’t have the slightest personal connection with them. No nerves touched, just completely incongruous.

Now here’s the thing. You are an ignorant dolt who doesn’t have the sense to know when to put the shovel down and just stop digging. Just…stop. you don’t have the right at all to be political or racist in your anti- English baiting. I don’t do it to you, in fact nobody does it to you. Just leave it, really – just put it down and walk away.

• naptoon

May 16, 2020 at 8:22 PM

Can’t see him being changed till season end (if takeover happens) still a risk of relegation (remote imo) and players used to his cross country runs and shuttles. No point changing till there’s money to spend.

• Just a fan

May 16, 2020 at 8:35 PM

Online.
    Run along there’s a good lad.
    Bit infantile or are you and your showbiz friends above us.

• martoon

May 16, 2020 at 8:37 PM

naptoon – sorry but I can’t see the problem going to B & Q? I did it myself – there was an organized social distance queue to get in and self service tills on the way out. I bought some paint which has kept me busy – what’s the problem?

• Jib

May 16, 2020 at 8:39 PM

Jail , the footy expert , would bring a new manager in whom the players have never met.
    Good plan
    That’ll work

• Munster Mag

May 16, 2020 at 8:43 PM

Ah, the old retreat of the muppet. The hectoring monkey hanger goes there now. If munster comments against Booris, or your handling of covid, or the idiot Patel, and the muppet goes for the easy score.

“munster hates The English ‘.

Sorry fella, that doesn’t cut it.

You’ re going to have to do better than that son

• naptoon

May 16, 2020 at 8:44 PM

Martin
    M8 non essential tho people don’t want to work but are happy queuing at bq. I’ve just used common sense …. I’ve been told off gov. Not to travel or visit family but I can go to about 15 houses a day delivering home improvement and gardening stuff to strangers … so they can spruce up their homes while furloughed or isolating (protecting themselves from risk) not having a pop at anyone but overnight I suddenly became a key worker (something I didn’t ask for and done my bit while in army) and I see blatant contradictions. Wonder how many teachers have queued at bq.

• Munster Mag

May 16, 2020 at 8:46 PM

OLG I didn’t realise you were a fly fisherman. Good stuff out of you.

• martoon

May 16, 2020 at 8:51 PM

Naptoon – house maintenance is classed as essential which is why B & Q are allowed to open. I didn’t want to be furloughed but seeing I was surely it’s better to do something useful rather than watch box sets all day? Anyway academic now because I’m back at work now 🙁

• naptoon

May 16, 2020 at 8:56 PM

Martoon
    I’m not having a pop m8 like I say I’ve used common sense …. I don’t believe that any social distancing stuff should’ve been implemented (more risky getting in your car) just annoyed at the contradictions and I took it up with relevant officials in gov. And …. believe it or not … got a response.