web analytics

Several Directors Linked, A Call For FFP Reform, And ‘Imminent’ Tweet Sparks Frenzy – Today’s News Roundup

Today several directors of football were linked to Newcastle, Arsene Wenger’s call for Financial Fair Play reform could benefit Newcastle, and John Robinson’s tweet roused some Newcastle fans from a takeover lull.

Here is the roundup of today’s articles and news from The Newcastle United Blog.

• Online Guy

May 20, 2020 at 11:30 PM

N.Y.

No , I’m asking if the prem rules have changed for Newcastle United in the light of today’s statement/comment from G. Caulking, “major scrutinisation” .

I would expect any evolving rule changes would have been announced in our media ..and there have been no changes announced from the date of the Sheffield United takeover as regards new rules that I have read or heard of.

Was it Sheffield Utd that went through the prem process last ?

We all want the same outcome .

Hope you are well and keeping safe.

• Online Guy

May 20, 2020 at 11:37 PM

N.Y.

The FA Premier league cannot make it up as they go along using evolving rules for the club and buyer they are dealing with at the time as it would look like one rule for one club and one rule for another ,

Or perhaps they would I thought, where Newcastle United are concerned .

Not preaching btw.

Just my thoughts.

Cabin fever !

• Munster Mag

May 20, 2020 at 11:41 PM

I’ve seen Richardson in action on Sunday Supp and he doesn’t come across as top notch, the same way as someone like Wallace is so convincing. Let’s hope he’s not just kite flying.

Im still v optimistic though and got 8 cans of Guinness in just in case 🙂

• naptoon

May 20, 2020 at 11:43 PM

Olg
    A reporter said last week our deal would pass then directors/owners test will be reformed …. Looks like we may be the last team to catch the gravy train in england. Prem don’t want to turn down the income but don’t want the baggage …. I foresee a rule change where something like sovereign wealth funds can’t be involved … Removes politics from the equation …here’s hoping anyway.

• Munster Mag

May 20, 2020 at 11:44 PM

He never came across as a Toon fan on TV either? I was sure he was man u or at least a North West club

• Pat On The Heed

May 20, 2020 at 11:44 PM

Irish – Back to your natural role of village idiot I see. let’s put today’s bungling foray into big boy politics behind us shall we..

• IrishRob

May 20, 2020 at 11:45 PM

Munster you may change that Guinness under the circumstance. I’ll go halfs with you on a pack of Newky?

• Shadow_Shearer

May 20, 2020 at 11:45 PM

There isn’t any new news here, the takeover was imminent weeks ago, and it’s still imminent

• IrishRob

May 20, 2020 at 11:45 PM

Yes Pat 100%

• Online Guy

May 20, 2020 at 11:48 PM

Naptoon

Wonder why prem made a statement , I read that too , regarding a change after our sale goes through..perhaps it’s as you say . It’s a good bet.

• naptoon

May 20, 2020 at 11:49 PM

Shadow
    Just brought me crashing doon to reality …. Ya right as well …. Ive always reckoned, if it happens, it’ll be a Friday teatime announcement, all parties hoping weekend will let things settle, here’s hoping.

• naptoon

May 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM

Hope so olg surely that’d give us a massive advantage and I’d hate to see west ham snapped up by an oil rich nation for some reason.

• Online Guy

May 20, 2020 at 11:53 PM

Lesh

Iv got some rope here if Jib wants to take up climbing again..and theres some water wings if he wants to swim the Lough.

I’ll be down there with my whistle if he’s game ..keep an eye on him .

Alan Robson has a live phone in on right now Lesh..hear a few Geordie voices..ang on . It’s on YouTube.

• NY Mag

May 20, 2020 at 11:53 PM

OLG,

Yes, I’m keeping well, hope you are too.

Its just a debate, nothing personal.

On face value, if you read the EPL “rules” for the O & D tests, they say that they will give an answer in 5 working days, that clearly is not the case.

The only rules they quote are about financial irregularities, legal convictions and conflicts of interest. Again, this cannot be true as they could do all of this within the allotted 5 business days.

So, it’s clear that what is actually happening is more than what they “quote” in the rulebook, and this is borne out if you read the legal press that publishes articles on such things.

This process and qualification for it (if that’s the right word) has changed significantly over the years and I’m assuming will continue to do so.

WRT the current situation, there is an awful lot of lobbying/politics going on, I’m not interested in that and I hope the PL are not either – this is football, nothing more, nothing less 🙂

PS, I hope you are planning for the blog party 😀

• Online Guy

May 20, 2020 at 11:55 PM

• naptoon

May 20, 2020 at 11:57 PM

Hoping the prem are just taking there time so they can say its been thorough and “forensic” so lobbyists have no comeback. Ultimately gov. Have stated on record its an internal prem matter so fingers crossed.

• WLtoon

May 21, 2020 at 12:10 AM

You know what, i think the PL are shit scared to make a decision on allowing the take over. I would,nt mind guessing they are hoping the Saudi,s will pull out to save the flack from all angles which they are currently getting.
    I dont get where all the positivity is coming from bcos ive heard nothing different for the last 2 weeks.
    This has been the longest imminent deal on the planet. Must be a world record.

• naptoon

May 21, 2020 at 12:13 AM

Could well be right. They defo wish there had been no fuss.

• Our Toon

May 21, 2020 at 12:23 AM

We were made to jump through hoops because it’s not an individual buying us but a state. Completely different to sheff utd where 1 person bought them, add to that a state which is accused of piracy and murder of a journalist amongst other things.

The process will be changed but let’s not kid ourselves in believing that this should have been an easy process to pass like others that have gone before it.

As a fanbase we keep confusing individuals taking over clubs to a state taking over clubs. I keep saying it but the only comparison is citeh in UK and the process has changed since they were taken over

• Our Toon

May 21, 2020 at 12:28 AM

WLtoon

You wont hear anything different as it’s all under NDA’s; PL wont comment on it either. Not sure why you are still being negative!! As they say no smoke without fire, all you’ll get is info from sources that are reported

The fact it’s being reported by a group of individuals is the clearest indication that all is well and it’ll be announced as PL have passed checks, if you are looking for something concrete then you’ll be waiting till a statement is made to the media. If that isn’t done tomorrow then it’ll be next week tuesday as holidays in saudi and uk inbetween Friday to Monday.

Makes no sense thinking anything other than it’s gone through in my opinion

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 12:32 AM

Tsunki “How many st holders wished they hadn’t renewed last time?”

That works both ways, there will be plenty of past season ticket holders who will be wishing they had renewed so they will have a guaranteed ticket next season now.

Sad that Ashley drove them away. The most loyal fans are the biggest losers of the last thirteen years.

Losers as in having lost something precious, not as in any negative sense, obviously.

• Our Toon

May 21, 2020 at 12:33 AM

Its impossible to prevent another sovereign wealth state to takeover another club, it goes against competition law for starters, you cant have 2 teams state sponsored and tell the others it’s tough luck as we are changing the rules.

The changes will be geared more around piracy, image / brand rights of PL and whether the wannabe investor has infringed these, might not have to be proven legally either as was the case with Saudi’s. Other than that I cant see much more changing in process

• Our Toon

May 21, 2020 at 12:37 AM

Rob

I’ve boycotted for 4th season now, I’m not bitter at all if I’m being honest, I’ll try to get a season ticket but that also depends on when fans can attend games. If I cant get a season ticket then so be it

The main thing is I can look forward to good times, ashley is gone and hopefully we have got our club back. The only thing Ashley has guaranteed with me is a lifetime of boycotting anything under mash holdings!!

• Munster Mag

May 21, 2020 at 12:37 AM

Our Toon, read your rafa comments earlier. I tend to agree. The positive is that he kinda belongs at nufc. The negative is that is seems, just a little, like an opportunity lost to get someone playing the type of modern football that has passed him by. The style of Dortmund, Ajax, Liverpool is the ‘new way’ and its not Rafa. His Dof link doesn’t inspire either. Would City or man u or arsenal want him? I know it’s early days but if we want to play a high press modern style, why wud we give rafa the reigns for three years to build the club, only for a new high energy attacking philosophy manager to have to change all the rafa stuff. There again rafa would ignite the fans, and Wor flags won’t need to make new ones.

• NY Mag

May 21, 2020 at 12:38 AM

RobL,

I have to say, I was ready to buy a season ticket (before the takeover speculation)
    Pretty sure I’ll not get one once (if) it goes through – which I’m good with.

But, I’ll get back at some point……

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 12:42 AM

Our Toon, great words re your support. Of course the club is bigger than any single supporter and we all want it to be the best it can be, whether we can get there or not. I just wish that those fans hadn’t ever had to make that choice.

Happier times ahead, I’m sure. I hope you get to share them in person.

• WLtoon

May 21, 2020 at 12:53 AM

OurToon

I dont believe a word of what the so called sources are saying , they know bugger all , like ive said all along, my concern is the time it is taking to make an announcement. yes patience is a virtue and unfortunately i dont have much of that.

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 12:53 AM

Munster, tactics change and evolve. You see the sweeper keeper coming into fashion, then going out, you see the numbers in midfield changing over several seasons, a single striker, the false 9, two up front. The ‘modern’ coaches will always have something new, then they’ll be found out by the next generation and overtaken by them.

Rafa’s a winner and has been a winner across numerous generations. I think I can handle missing out on the latest tactical fad if he (or anyone else for that matter) can bring back winning football, no matter what that looks like.

It’s success I crave, not fantasy football. Both would be nice, but if Rafa comes back I’ll welcome him with open arms, no ifs, buts or maybes.

Besides, some of the football under Rafa was exhilarating. There was often a sense that he was as frustrated as the fans at the team’s inability to carry out his instructions on the pitch. Imagine Rafa with the players he wants to implement his tactics and it’s likely light years away from Rafa with Joselu in the team.

• Our Toon

May 21, 2020 at 12:53 AM

Munster

I’ve never known or heard of a 2nd stint being as good as the first stint or more of a success, if anything it ends in tears and the person who was once adored leaves with a fanbase having less adulation than the 1st stint. I cant think of any off the top of my head.

I’ve 2 gripes with rafa as DOF:
    1) is that he falls out with every owner, again I’m sure someone will correct me on this but I cant think of a club he has managed where he hasn’t had issues behind the scenes which he has contributed in making it toxic in one way or another.

2) DOF will be in charge of having a blueprint for how the team plays, this will be juniors through to seniors. It’ll be good teaching for them to remain compact and disciplined defensively, however it doesn’t bode well for the creative players. How would rafa react if the manager wasnt coaching the players to get the best out of his identity for the club? Not well in my opinion

Klopp and Pep are the 2 examples you’ve given, rightly so aswell. This style of manager / football is the here and now, rafa and Mourinho was last decade when success for both was more often.

I’ll be underwhelmed if rafa returned but I wouldnt be sad or mad about it, he was what we needed at the time but going forward with endless money (hopefully) I’d like a younger forward thinking manager who releases the handbrake and allows freedom to express whilst dictating possession.

• WLtoon

May 21, 2020 at 12:58 AM

Has anyone seen the footage of the UFO crash in Brazil last week. Just seen it on Alan Robson live on Youtube. Got to say its good stuff.

• Our Toon

May 21, 2020 at 1:00 AM

WLtoon

How would sources know bugger all? It’s how most big news stories are broken to media, through hearsay, information which they’ve received from someone on the inside.

In terms of time it’s taken, plenty of reasons why this has taken longer than we expected. Look around you for starters, we have a pandemic and a league which is prioritising starting up along with piracy claims. Normal process timescales go out the window.

Honestly you just need to relax on the whole thing and concentrate more on positives rather than fixate on negatives.

• Our Toon

May 21, 2020 at 1:05 AM

Rob

Agreed, it’s a right kick in the teeth for those that have given up tickets for this current season. However I’m sure they would all say it’s the best kick in the teeth they’ve ever had…..haha.

As you say the club trumps any individual, this blog will mean we can all share the happier times together as a fanbase, no matter where you are, your support is the same as anyone who attends games, no one individual is better or more of a fan because they are fortunate enough to attend games.

We can all revel on here and have proper football debates. I’m gonna head off as I’ve written quite a few lengthy posts tonight. The excitement has got me typing essays hahahaha toooooooooooon!!

• WLtoon

May 21, 2020 at 1:05 AM

OurToon

I would say that 99% of what sources feed us is BS, its been proven, take a look at how many articles are flying about every day about the Toon, how many of those are right. 1% ?
    The amount of criticism journo,s get on here for BS news is totally justified. Rant over

• IrishRob

May 21, 2020 at 1:10 AM

Go to bed early lads we have a big day tomorrow!

• Our Toon

May 21, 2020 at 1:13 AM

WLtoon

If you stick to reliable and reputable reporters they get it right more often than not. Issue with sources is it’s hard to verify the information.

This process has been delayed for multitude of reasons, I only ever look at a couple of people that have generally been right on a particular subject or have a solid reputation. Most of the other journalists are just noise

So I agree with the comment that most have been bs but I’ve probably not looked at half of what you’ve have during this process as I skip the click bait ones.

In regards to transfers etc that is being driven by agents who sense new money in a time where players and agents will take a huge hit in earnings.

• Our Toon

May 21, 2020 at 1:14 AM

Goodnight that me defo signing off

• The Wife

May 21, 2020 at 1:27 AM

WLtoon,

I finished that book about Roswell – it was really good! Pardon my conspiracy theorizing everyone, but I find it interesting that we now have a new military branch in the US – the Space Force (the flag was unveiled this week). Next week, NASA will be sending American astronauts up into space from our soil – something we haven’t done in a decade (we’ve been hitching rides on Russian rockets). And isn’t is convenient there’s a pandemic going on and everyone is supposed to be staying inside? Something’s going on with the aliens. You heard it here first, folks. 😀

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 1:33 AM

Riyadh-based Arabic satellite news channel Al Ekhbariya is broadcasting that the EPL has given the green light for the takeover.

This is a channel owned by the Saudi Broadcasting Authority.

#cans

Off to bed, enjoy!

• ilovetoon8788

May 21, 2020 at 1:37 AM

Twitter just melting. Officially announced in Saudi news channel apparently.

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 1:38 AM

I should say that the Saudi Broadcasting Authority is state-owned and run!

They have the scoop! This could be the shape of things to come!

Sorry for the exclamation marks!

(not really)