web analytics

Steve Bruce Backs Himself To Take Newcastle United Forward

Since the return of football got a massive boost last week, Steve Bruce has come out and done numerous interviews. He’s mostly talked about the return to training and what he feels it will take for this season to get successfully completed.

With news of the takeover taking off yesterday, Bruce has talked about his future in an interview with Geoff Shreeves of Sky Sports.

For Newcastle fans, it looks like we may have weathered the takeover storm and could see an announcement in the next few days. Let’s at least hope it’s smooth sailing from here on in.

With the Ashley era almost inevitably over, Bruce has come and pushed for a chance to take Newcastle forward. This is what the head coach said about managing a Newcastle United that was gunning for silverware:

“We all aspire in management, we all aspire to be Pep (Guardiola), Jurgen (Klopp)… these great managers who’ve been a breath of fresh air to football. Jurgen Klopp coming into this country, you just have to applaud him for his tactics and the way Liverpool play.

“If it’s good for Newcastle, and the club are going to try to compete with these teams, to be part of it would be great. I would love to see it and I’d love to be part of it. I hope it’s where it goes, but in the meantime I’ll just crack on, wait, roll my sleeves up and get on with trying to get some results to try and get the club going forward.

“If that happens for Newcastle in the future, then great – I’d be delighted. You do get labeled in the game, and that’s why I enjoyed my time managing in the Championship. I’d back myself against most people in that division.

“But to be in a position where you’re actually challenging, and you have a good enough team as Newcastle did in 1995 and under Sir Bobby Robson as well, then it would be wonderful. I’d back myself, of course I would.

“Management, whether you’re managing in the lower division or you’re right at the top, it’s about getting the best out of what you’ve got. And if you can do that, I’d back myself to have a crack at it. I’d be confident that I’d be able to do it.

“Whether that’s ever going to be the case, who knows?”

The league is just a few days into phase 1 of Project Restart and hopefully, it’s been so far so good. We’ll find out within the next week or so if phase 2, which will feature contact training, can be implemented.

If it all goes to plan, the season should resume at some point next month. Newcastle should be under new ownership by the time that happens.

Most local journalists believe that Bruce will remain in place to see out the rest of this season. Few believe he’ll get a chance beyond this summer.

Bruce has nine league games remaining along with an FA Cup quarter-final to make his case that he is the one to take Newcastle forward.

Barring a miraculous run to end the season, we just don’t see him getting that opportunity. However, he can hold his head high as he was able to keep us afloat and allow this takeover to come to fruition.

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 10:04 AM

1st on the thread where the takeover will be announced!

😉

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 10:04 AM

the Northumbrian, yes it is.

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 10:05 AM

Unusual to give a police escort to a cargo of PPE?

😉

• TheTinman

May 21, 2020 at 10:07 AM

I was told by a friend of a player last night that it is done. But this is same source who last weekend told me it would be done on Monday.

• the Northumbrian

May 21, 2020 at 10:07 AM

Rob I tracked that on flight radar funny thing was it had no reg no details about it,only that it was a private plane

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 10:09 AM

If anybody wants to get themselves seriously angry, read this piece in The New Statesman which paints all NUFC fans as ignorant immoral buffoons, using twitter as its sample.

• geordietom

May 21, 2020 at 10:10 AM

REPOST …
    another reason i got on the blog a bit later than usual been chatting to my Cousin in the states , he’s in Midland Michigan 2 Dams have burst could be under 9ft of water ,With a 3rd DAM to burst its banks ( imminent ) there’s that word again , State of emergency trump to visit today , and there my cousin waiting for news of the takeover more worry for him , excuse the pun . if it doesn’t rain it pours …

• cupiddstunt

May 21, 2020 at 10:10 AM

Re-posted because I missed a couple of buses

I don’t read Arabic so can’t confirm but 8.14 this morning

• Hal

May 21, 2020 at 10:11 AM

Bet the first Bruce heard of this was from the buyers. MA would have been to busy counting his cash to inform him.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 21, 2020 at 10:11 AM

@Robleenio

Well we are already the most deluded , entitled fanbase in the world according to most supporters of others teams…..

• geordietom

May 21, 2020 at 10:11 AM

Robleenio …

not gonna read it mate if they are slagging us off , been a lot of that lately …

• ctommo

May 21, 2020 at 10:14 AM

The Police escort would have been to ensure safe delivery of 300million in cash 😉

• the Northumbrian

May 21, 2020 at 10:17 AM

,1st class travel for boxes of masks and hand sanitizer lol

• count

May 21, 2020 at 10:17 AM

Must admit that made me smile geordietom

And not a repost in sight!

• count

May 21, 2020 at 10:17 AM

Spoke to soon

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

May 21, 2020 at 10:19 AM

Worst PL Win ratios of all time(minimum 300 games)

Bruce – 27.8%
    Pulis – 30.4%
    Kinnear – 32.1%
    Curbishley – 32.9%
    Hughes – 33.9%
    Fat Sam – 34%

sorry Brucey, those figures arent the ones for a club looking to get into europe and win things.

• Ron Knee

May 21, 2020 at 10:23 AM

N’Golo Kanté was granted compassionate leave to miss Chelsea’s second day of phase one training because of the midfielder’s fears over the coronavirus.

While Kanté took part in Chelsea’s return to small group training on Tuesday after registering a negative coronavirus test, the France World Cup winner has concerns regarding attempts to resume the Premier League season. The 29-year-old is not convinced that it is safe to train while the UK remains in the grip of the pandemic and was given full consent to miss Wednesday’s session by Frank Lampard and the club. (Grauniad)

• geordietom

May 21, 2020 at 10:24 AM

count …

do you sleep ? you seem to be on here 24/7 😀

• Moonraker15

May 21, 2020 at 10:25 AM

Let’s see who calls us “deluded” now!

I see Jason Cundy’s been on spouting how big we’re gonna be! The same bloke who said “Ashley’s doing a great job” !

• the crown princes nashers

May 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM

watch them all crawl out the woodwork now and praise us but us geordies na the score with these lot, all the reporters be crawling up amandas arse just watch them, so where the hell is greta the miss 12 year old know it all how come she hasnt had a say yet 🙂

• geordietom

May 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM

forgot to put this on …

i’m confident and staying confident about the takeover happening of our club …

• bill

May 21, 2020 at 10:28 AM

I’m not reading any more negative reports on this take over. I will ignore any comments as they are such hypocrites.

• geordietom

May 21, 2020 at 10:28 AM

Mark …

Greta ?

• the crown princes nashers

May 21, 2020 at 10:29 AM

every bugger who thinks there important has thrown the kitchen sink and more at us for over a month I dont think this should be forgotten about we should all just remind them what they said or maybe we should tell them to f%^k ^&f ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

• the crown princes nashers

May 21, 2020 at 10:30 AM

that 12 year old kid who goes on about climate change man tom ya na 🙂

• Moonraker15

May 21, 2020 at 10:32 AM

Tom
    Thank you for your repeated “confident” posts!
    The power of positivity!
    You made it happen!

• the crown princes nashers

May 21, 2020 at 10:32 AM

whos he when hes at home hibbit I na nowt about him

• geordietom

May 21, 2020 at 10:32 AM

Mark …

reet got ya , does she know oet about football though 😀

• geordietom

May 21, 2020 at 10:33 AM

oet/owt*

• phy

May 21, 2020 at 10:33 AM

Moonraker and Crown Prince have it right. The very same journalists who decried us fans and threw their support at Ashley wil be clamouring to get on side with the new regime and I fully expect them to claim that they always understood our plight and supported/rooted for us throughout. Shows exactly the fickle, self indulgent people they are. To think they have the audacity to say we are deluded or lack morals when they pedal the utter mass poplulist tripe that may further their own agendas and careers.

• Captain AmeriMag

May 21, 2020 at 10:34 AM

Geordietom, the only man qualified to drive the Positivity Bus!!

All aboard!!

😀

Ding Ding!!

#CANS

• geordietom

May 21, 2020 at 10:34 AM

Moonraker …

we all did mate , Geordie power…

• woodey

May 21, 2020 at 10:35 AM

RobLeenio
    May 21, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    IE the statesman

The writer for hat article is actually a sports writer for the Guardian, so nothing new about who they are defending…

• Munster Mag

May 21, 2020 at 10:35 AM

For once I agree with Cundy

I just hope that NUFC fans dont starting acting the tools like Man City sometimes do, the whole arrogant loadsamoney, “we’re minted and we’re ganna shite on Real Madrid like” type of approach. Hopefully we will have a bit more class.

Im sure if Sky go to newcastle they wont choose to interview some accountant or doctor on his lunchbreak, it will be some local halfwit with a few teeth. They used to do that in Ireland all the time, the bastards 🙂

• the crown princes nashers

May 21, 2020 at 10:36 AM

well she nas bugger all about so called climate change mate shes bound to be a master at football 🙂

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 10:37 AM

What does this mean? Obviously it’s via Google translate so it may be slightly off, but it sounds distinctly ominous…..

“It is supplemented with permission to purchase broadcast rights
    And we also declare control of the English Premier League ”

• IrishRob

May 21, 2020 at 10:37 AM

Amerimag that’s an aero medical evacuation plane that’s 20 years old there are no Saudis of any real not going to be on that thing.

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 10:39 AM

woodey, that makes perfect sense, thanks for clarifying.

I used to like reading the Guardian sports articles – I’m guessing they’ll now be hyper-critical of us.

Oh well, I guess I’ll get over it!

😉