web analytics

Steve Bruce Backs Himself To Take Newcastle United Forward

Since the return of football got a massive boost last week, Steve Bruce has come out and done numerous interviews. He’s mostly talked about the return to training and what he feels it will take for this season to get successfully completed.

With news of the takeover taking off yesterday, Bruce has talked about his future in an interview with Geoff Shreeves of Sky Sports.

For Newcastle fans, it looks like we may have weathered the takeover storm and could see an announcement in the next few days. Let’s at least hope it’s smooth sailing from here on in.

With the Ashley era almost inevitably over, Bruce has come and pushed for a chance to take Newcastle forward. This is what the head coach said about managing a Newcastle United that was gunning for silverware:

“We all aspire in management, we all aspire to be Pep (Guardiola), Jurgen (Klopp)… these great managers who’ve been a breath of fresh air to football. Jurgen Klopp coming into this country, you just have to applaud him for his tactics and the way Liverpool play.

“If it’s good for Newcastle, and the club are going to try to compete with these teams, to be part of it would be great. I would love to see it and I’d love to be part of it. I hope it’s where it goes, but in the meantime I’ll just crack on, wait, roll my sleeves up and get on with trying to get some results to try and get the club going forward.

“If that happens for Newcastle in the future, then great – I’d be delighted. You do get labeled in the game, and that’s why I enjoyed my time managing in the Championship. I’d back myself against most people in that division.

“But to be in a position where you’re actually challenging, and you have a good enough team as Newcastle did in 1995 and under Sir Bobby Robson as well, then it would be wonderful. I’d back myself, of course I would.

“Management, whether you’re managing in the lower division or you’re right at the top, it’s about getting the best out of what you’ve got. And if you can do that, I’d back myself to have a crack at it. I’d be confident that I’d be able to do it.

“Whether that’s ever going to be the case, who knows?”

The league is just a few days into phase 1 of Project Restart and hopefully, it’s been so far so good. We’ll find out within the next week or so if phase 2, which will feature contact training, can be implemented.

If it all goes to plan, the season should resume at some point next month. Newcastle should be under new ownership by the time that happens.

Most local journalists believe that Bruce will remain in place to see out the rest of this season. Few believe he’ll get a chance beyond this summer.

Bruce has nine league games remaining along with an FA Cup quarter-final to make his case that he is the one to take Newcastle forward.

Barring a miraculous run to end the season, we just don’t see him getting that opportunity. However, he can hold his head high as he was able to keep us afloat and allow this takeover to come to fruition.

• Jib

May 21, 2020 at 10:40 AM

A medivac Gulfstream would be the ideal way to slip VIP’s into a country at the moment

• the Northumbrian

May 21, 2020 at 10:42 AM

Its quite a good looking plane for 20yrs old

• DubaiMicky

May 21, 2020 at 10:44 AM

Rob, the banner says “There is only One United”

• RobLeenio

May 21, 2020 at 10:46 AM

Cheers, Micky – I know that’s MBS’ brother that posted that pic, I’m sure you’re also aware but others may not be.

• JohnJ

May 21, 2020 at 10:50 AM

I’ve “Hearted” all of Geordietom’s & Captain AmeriMag’s positive posts.

I’ve wanted so much for this dream to come true!

At first I was very wary after past disappointments but as things moved on I began to think & hope this is the one!

I think we can almost touch the finishing line/ribbon now. 🙂

So the next question is Where and When do you all think it will be announced? Will it be St James Park on the balcony like Shearer? I hope so perhaps not on the balcony as I’m sure they’ll want to sell space on the advertising boards behind Amanda and her team!

So Lads and Lasses what’s your take? 🙂

• geordietom

May 21, 2020 at 10:52 AM

robleenio …
    ominous from who? mate …

• JohnJ

May 21, 2020 at 10:53 AM

My cans and malt are just waiting to be poured out!

• the Northumbrian

May 21, 2020 at 10:55 AM

Anyone know anyone who has a drone? Be nice to fly it over the stadium to have a look and see if all s direct sh!te signs are still up or not.

• wynsleap

May 21, 2020 at 10:56 AM

Cmon Steve – be truthful now and answer these questions:
    1. Would you/could you/should you really be the face of the richest club in the world?
    2. Could you handle players like Koulibaly, Cavani, Vidal and Coutinho?
    3. Would they respect your ‘achievements’ in the game?
    4. Could you improve their performances?
    5. Would your presence attract world class performers to the club?
    6. Are you capable of organising a renowned global scouting system or discussing affairs with a highly
    respected Director of Football?
    7. Is your global knowledge of football tactics, players around the world etc. up to date?
    I think you know deep down what the answer is to ALL of those Steve.
    And they say Toon fans are deluded.

• JohnJ

May 21, 2020 at 10:57 AM

It’s a shame we have this awful virus to keep us in check – St James’ Park would have been rocking had fans been allowed in…. Arr well don’t be greedy John! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Sleepy Koala

May 21, 2020 at 2:50 PM

If Steve Bruce could politely back himself out of the car park we be very grateful