web analytics

FA Chief Reaffirms Commitment to Finishing FA Cup As Pundit Puts Forth A Proposal

The Mail is reporting that the FA remains committed to finishing this season’s FA Cup should the Premier League safely be able to restart.

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham reportedly told FA Council members of his desire to complete this year’s FA Cup during a meeting on Thursday.

When the competition could return was not mentioned however, the semi-finals and finals will still be held at Wembley.

Newcastle, of course, have reached the quarter-final stage and were scheduled to host Manchester City on March 21st before the season was suspended due to the coronavirus.

Newcastle have progressed the farthest in the FA Cup since 2006 when we were knocked out in the quarter-finals by Chelsea.

Whether the competition can get completed this season all hinges on the Premier League’s ability to safely restart. Teams returned to training this past Tuesday as part of phase 1 of Project Restart.

Next week, a discussion will be held on whether clubs can move to phase 2, which involves group training.

Meanwhile, Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher has called for the FA to get creative in finishing the FA Cup this season. This is Carragher’s proposal from The Telegraph:

“The FA should get on board with a radical experiment to complete their fixtures.

“I would love to see this season’s FA Cup rescheduled to resemble the final stages of a World Cup, all the remaining games played after the conclusion of the Premier League.

“Imagine it. Quarter-finals could be played on the Friday and Saturday after the last Premier League weekend. Midweek semi-finals could then be immediately followed by the final, the competition concluded in eight days.

“It could be a thrilling finale to a season which, in the Premier League at least, is all about the top four and relegation places once play resumes.”

A lot will depend on when the league resumes as to how the FA Cup will get completed. Carragher is calling for the final three rounds to be played in rapid succession after the league concludes.

If the EPL managers get their wish, the league may no restart until the back end of June. That will mean this season may not finish until close to August.

The FA will have to be flexible in how they complete the remainder of the FA Cup. But the good news for Newcastle fans is that it hasn’t been abandoned.

• Mund

May 22, 2020 at 5:48 PM

Jail it looks like you might of met your soul mate pal

• John Tudor

May 22, 2020 at 5:48 PM

You obviously refrained fro m going to the games in the 70s when the cries were
    We are the mags
    We are the mags
    We are
    We are
    We are the mags
    PLASTIC FAN

• Kevin Vegan

May 22, 2020 at 5:48 PM

Munster Mag, what would a keeper need a rest from? It’s not like they spend 90 minutes running. I’m pretty confident I could walk around and jump a few times for 90 minutes once a day if required. There are plenty of 35+ year old keepers who still turn out every week with no issue.

• Munster Mag

May 22, 2020 at 5:50 PM

Jail, i agree re Bruce taking over a rafa pardewcetc team. But if the boot was on the other foot, and rafa took over after Bruce, you and your fanatics would be giving kudos to rafa for getting us further in the cup, bedding in a left flank and doing it without perez and rondon. You guys can’t have it every way.

And yes, I’d still have rafa back, the positives outweigh the negatives.

• Jib

May 22, 2020 at 5:51 PM

IrishRob
    May 22, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    Germany back in lockdown,

Total nonsense
    Shut the foot up you shit stirring idiot

• Just a fan

May 22, 2020 at 5:52 PM

Munster .
    Chill.just a bit of humour.

• Munster Mag

May 22, 2020 at 5:53 PM

Kevin I think he was in the firing line enough. If you don’t rotate keepers, how do you rest one and develop another? Either way he was vindicated as we got through. You wouldn’t have a stylish maverick likevSt max here under rafa, and that wud be a shame

• The ledge

May 22, 2020 at 5:54 PM

Are we going to war ?

• Munster Mag

May 22, 2020 at 5:54 PM

Sorry JAF, bit cranky from shortage of sleep due to new dog.

• Ajs22398

May 22, 2020 at 5:54 PM

Just my thoughts on the whole Bruce divide. I believe there’s two main views in Bruce one looking at just this season and based in points which points to Bruce having done a good job so far. Unless a catastrophe happens were safe and were on a good cup run which is a fair enough argument after all at the end of the day it’s the points that’s matter no matter how you achieve them. However I feel like me and many others are looking at the bigger picture in the fact despite being safe this season it had been down to a lot of luck with how good dubs had been and how we’ve somehow gotten goals despite being second best in the majority of games and that isn’t sustainable and honestly believe if Bruce stays within a season or two the luck will run out and we’ll be relegated. Also i think Bruce is playing into the fickle goerdie stigma as we all know his comments when with Sunderland about us not being his dream job yet he’s making it out as if it was playing into the one of us theme which I believe is just an act knowing it will resonate with some of our supporters. All I’m going to ask is if this was someone from another background would we be so forgiving towards him after the whole Sunderland fiasco? Just my opinion of course hopefully the takeover happens soon and we can all put argument aside for a while

• Munster Mag

May 22, 2020 at 5:55 PM

Hallelujah it’s John Tudor

• Munster Mag

May 22, 2020 at 5:55 PM

Mick Mahoney supa goalie…

• Just a fan

May 22, 2020 at 5:56 PM

Are we going to war.
    No but it’s may and we are still in the cup.
    It’s a long time since we can say that.

• Munster Mag

May 22, 2020 at 5:57 PM

Ajs, I didn’t want Bruce and don’t want him in the medium term, but we have to reflect reality, good and bad.

• Kevin Vegan

May 22, 2020 at 5:57 PM

Mund, I’m not saying Rafa would’ve taken us further or even this far. Nobody knows how that would have panned out. My point in mentioning Rafa is that Bruce hasn’t advanced the team or really tried to bring his own style in at all. He’s tried to slot Joelinton and ASM in as direct replacements for Ayoze and Rondon. Maybe that’s a conscious choice to avoid unsettling the team too much, but to me it just reeks of a lack of ingenuity, and that was most evident in the way we struggled to then adjust and take control when we came up against weaker teams.

• Moonraker15

May 22, 2020 at 5:57 PM

Munster
    I don’t follow all the gossip on the blog but usually get the drift of opinions.
    If Toon22 isn’t a fan why is he so anti Ashley? What’s his motivation.
    How do we explain that Jib has changed his tune re Ashley once takeover is confirmed? I mean how could anyone be supportive of Ashley and remain prominent on this blog as Jib / Jfb has done for years?

• The ledge

May 22, 2020 at 5:58 PM

#93 true and it took a pandemic to get us there .

• DaveD1000

May 22, 2020 at 6:01 PM

didn’t want Bruce didn’t want AC back we got landed with both. We should stay up. AC did better work in defence than anything else….meh

• carltoon

May 22, 2020 at 6:02 PM

I don’t want Bruce to stay. But I can thank him for the job he’s done. I think thecup run had been great and tell the away fans that it hasn’t been enjoyable

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2020 at 6:02 PM

Munter,
    Forest were in the same division as us.

• carltoon

May 22, 2020 at 6:03 PM

As much as I loved Rafa, some games we’re horrendous.

• Mund

May 22, 2020 at 6:03 PM

Let me be clear I don’t want Bruce going forward and I didn’t want him to begin with. I was as angry as anyone and I agree we rode our luck in a lot of games. We could be in a precarious position right now if not for luck.

On Dubs I love the man he has Newcastle United written all over him he is exactly the type of guy you want at the club and yea he has been immense at times and saved us points but on the negative it’s the worst season I’ve seen for mistakes from the lad. Still quality and I wouldn’t want anyone else.

Bruce never stood a chance in this job from the get go. A lot have warmed to him, not because he has been pulling up roots, it’s been because of they way he has handled himself and how the players have warmed to him. Surely he got a lot of respect when he put daft ass Craig Hope in his place.

End of the day we will enter a new era with a new manager none of this matters but when I belief someone deserves credit for whatever it may be…..

• Jib

May 22, 2020 at 6:03 PM

• Munster Mag

May 22, 2020 at 6:04 PM

Moon, the Frog is an obsessive who doest talk about football or tactics or transfers much, its just Ashley Ashley Ashley. I think Sports Direct sacked him.

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2020 at 6:08 PM

We lost to Oxford with a vastly under strength team that was designed to go out, the bigger picture was promotion. Munter will brush under the carpet the fair and balanced criticism that he dished out when Rafa prioritised the Hull QF game and lost to Blackburn because of it ensuring we only equalled our best ever consecutive win run rather than bettering it. That defeat actually came as some relief for the Munter man as he hadn’t posted in the nine games prior to it and was just itching to share his fair and balanced critique.

• Kevin Vegan

May 22, 2020 at 6:08 PM

Munster, I agree in theory about developing other players, but the keeper in question was Karl Darlow, who is almost 30. I guess you could argue that he’s getting game time, but he’ll be facing players of a similar standard for the reserves anyway so it’s not like it’s priceless experience for an upcoming young talent. We rode our luck despite some questionable choices. IMO we owe our cup run to the fact that we have added some extra depth and we can therefore afford to field slightly stronger teams while still resting the core of the squad. But that was likely more down to others at the club than Bruce himself, who doesn’t appear to have much say where transfers are concerned. And even so, we have barely scraped through so far. I don’t see a “cup run” during which we’ve beaten 3 teams; Rochdale in a replay, Oxford in a replay and West Brom by one goal, no top-flight teams, as being great evidence in Bruce’s favour for getting the job if we get this take over.

• ToonTime

May 22, 2020 at 6:08 PM

Vegan,
    You don’t like Bruce. We can tell.
    In the previous 12 years under Ashley it’s just surprising that nobody else got lucky enough to take us to the QF.
    Let’s face it we had some easy games.
    The old adage, the more we practise the luckier we get comes to mind…
    All teams rest their keeper for the cup. But that doesn’t fit into your history of events.
    For the record I’m not suggesting Bruce is the man for the long term or maybe even the medium. But he does deserve our respect, as do all the players we’ll now be moving on for a newer top of the range model.

• The Hit Man & Her

May 22, 2020 at 6:08 PM

Oh dear oh dear we are still talking about cup “runs”. Rafa wouldn’t have got us into a cup same reason Bruce won’t. The squad is threadbare funded and even when big money is spent it’s on dodgy underhand deals for players who are worth a fraction of what was paid for them.

The only reason we are still in a cup “run” is because we squeezed perilously past two League one sides. Not a chance we would get to the final, first serious cup challenger from the Prem and we are out. That’s not knocking Bruce or promoting Rafa, that’s just what we are right now and everyone with an ounce of sense of reality knows that.

• Mund

May 22, 2020 at 6:10 PM

Stop comparing Ayoze and Rondon to ASM and Joelinton.

For one Ayoze wanted out before he even knew Rafa was going and Rondon wouldn’t of come back if there was no Rafa.

These things Bruce had no control of and he didn’t have no say in ASM or Joelinton signing.

He got given a 40 mill flop and I think he was told he had to play him no matter what. Plenty of times I saw him on the team sheet and couldn’t believe we didn’t start with Gayle or Carroll.

That isn’t a normal Bruce reaction through out his management career and you wouldn’t put it past Ashley doing that.

Like I’ve said I do agree on points you say but you have to take the good and the bad like anything in life.

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2020 at 6:10 PM

Irishrob,
    Why would you say that?

• Moonraker15

May 22, 2020 at 6:11 PM

Munster
    Ah ok!
    It’ll be good when the takeover is all done and dusted and we have good discussion on a lot of football subjects.

• The Hit Man & Her

May 22, 2020 at 6:11 PM

When Bruce goes he’ll have as much respect as many journeymen employees this club has had. If thanks are due it’s that he didn’t actually break the thing while he was here but please please please can we get shot of him and get a proper manager in and a proper squad to work on?

• Novocastrian66

May 22, 2020 at 6:11 PM

Manchester United have recently seen a massive drop in revenue. They also have to repay sponsors a significant amount of coin. However this is getting a bit desperate.
    I hope the don’t sue me for using their name. The statement that their fans expect to see the club crest every time the clubs name, Manchester United is used is frankly ridiculous.

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2020 at 6:15 PM

ToonTime,
    We deliberately exited the cup against Cardiff in 2014? When we were tenth and as safe as houses, the season after Pardew had left us on about 28 points and relatively safe when Carver took us to Leicester and deliberately went out. There has been a deliberate policy not to try in the cups for some time now. It had to change as their 11th choice manager needed to get the fans onside and to try and save another 10K walking away this summer.

• Jib

May 22, 2020 at 6:16 PM

Moonraker15

Nope I’m afraid not

You’ll still be stupid

• GhostToon

May 22, 2020 at 6:17 PM

The problem we have playing Man City in the next cup game is they have a big advantage over us… they are use to playing in empty stadiums lol

• Hal

May 22, 2020 at 6:19 PM

Novo, I think I read their debt stands at nearly £500 mill as of end of March. They have to make it back somehow. They’ll copyright Red Devils next.

• Mund

May 22, 2020 at 6:22 PM

Jail

I’m looking forward to seeing a different side to you when this takeover is done and dusted like with a lot on here. You come come across as angry and bitter and struggle to let things go. Not digging you out I was a lot similar various things in my life changed my outlook and I see things differently. Strip all the bullshit aside and see the truth of things.

But seriously looking forward to seeing a lot of different attitudes turn positive and getting rid of the mackem wums on here. Good times are are upon us

• carltoon

May 22, 2020 at 6:23 PM

He’s done a great job. No one wants him here after the takeover, for God sake can we not just say thank you for keeping us safe so far with enjoyable football. It’s not like you pilloried supporters for going when the football was terrible under Rafa.

• Kevin Vegan

May 22, 2020 at 6:23 PM

Mund, on that last one I think we both agree. I’m not of the opinion that Bruce has been an unmitigated disaster. In all honest, assuming Ashley was always intent on selling the club by the end of the season, it was probably a sensible appointment and he’s probably largely done exactly what he was brought in to do from the club’s perspective.

But from a fan’s perspective, it’s been a year of mostly drab and frustrating football. All credit to Almiron, ASM, Shelvey, Dubs and Willems for some individual displays that kept me entertained enough to keep watching, but consistency has been an issue throughout the side and our work in the final third has probably been the worst I’ve seen from the side in a season where we haven’t been relegated. I also think that unless we freshen things up with a new manger, the way we’re set up currently would ultimately drag those players down in the long term rather than allow them to thrive.