web analytics

Former Gunners’ Great – Newcastle Could Become A Giant Of A Club

Ray Parlour, the former Arsenal midfield player, has been talking today on what the takeover means to Newcastle United, and he thinks this is a very good time to be a Newcastle fan.

He’s right there.

47-year-old Parlour played a massive 437 games for Arsenal with 30 goals and 14 assists from 1992 through 2004.

He is now a pundit on TV, as well as on radio stations BBC Radio 5 Live and Talksport.

Ray has been on talkSPORT and says the new regime at Newcastle will very likely change the manager.

Steve Bruce has said the obvious thing – that he would love to be part of the new regime at Newcastle and lead the club back into Europe and to renewed success.

But we have to think that’s very unlikely, and Amanda Staveley and company would like the manager to have European experience.

Ray Parlour (shown above) has said the following on talkSPORT as reported in the Chronicle this morning:

“I think they will change the manager if I’m being honest,”

“You look at people like Pochettino and there is going to be a lot of money going into the club.”

“I think Steve Bruce has been a fantastic manager and they will maybe give him a chance but I just think the owners will maybe just want someone with a little bit higher profile.”

“I am not being rude to Steve but a Pochettino, who took Tottenham to the Champions League final – that is who they will be looking that if he is available.”

“But Steve has done a decent job at Newcastle and at times his hands were tied but he has spent money.”

“I just think the owners will go down a different route if they decide to buy Newcastle.”

“It could be a very exciting time for Newcastle United because they have got all the fanbase.

“If they can throw money into it and buy all the right players and spend the money to try and compete you can definitely see them getting into that top six and even top four.”

“The only way Newcastle can go is up so I think it is a very good job for someone.”

“If they can get the right investment and bring the right players in they are only looking good to go up.”

“You always feel with Newcastle that they have the potential to jump into that top six, like the Kevin Keegan era, but it does need investment.”

“The new manager, or if it is Steve Bruce, if they can get the investment right then

“I think Newcastle could be a giant of a club.”

The only chance Steve Bruce will get is to see out this season, and only if he does remarkably well will Amanda Staveley even think of keeping the Geordie on as manager of the club.

It’s very unfortunate for Steve Bruce, who’s a good man, but that’s life – it can be cruel at times.

Which Manager Would You Like To Manage Newcastle Under New Owners?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

May 22, 2020 at 12:13 PM

Bale wont move for a penny less than he is on – thats why he hasnt left Madrid, no-one else will pay him the same wage. Same as Colback with us, Bale’s agent played a blinder when his contract was renewed.

Bale at spurs was enthusiastic on the ptich, energetic, wanting to be the main man. Now he isnt like this, more apathetic on the pitch, desire isnt like it was at spurs.

Bale is exactly what i dont want us to become. no players looking for their final big payday on long contracts.

Young top talent in europe should be the target, all with their best years ahead of them instead of behind them.

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2020 at 12:16 PM

I like Ray Parlour, he talks a lot of sense.

• HarryConkers

May 22, 2020 at 12:20 PM

Goth- we probably need a few twilight superstars initially, to be able to attract the young guns that we want.

• Captain AmeriMag

May 22, 2020 at 12:22 PM

I can see both sides of the Bale discussion and I agree with Conkers personally but the fact that my fellow Toon fans can have a valid opinion that Bale isn’t good enough for us makes me so happy I could shed a tear!!

😀

#CANS

• the Northumbrian

May 22, 2020 at 12:23 PM

Listened to him this morning on talk sport with harmy , had to laugh tho when Alan the host said to harmy “you’ve been a manager at the top of you’re division” he only managed ashington as far as I’m aware

• big bob

May 22, 2020 at 12:23 PM

Do It man city way
    Bring in a few high profile players first year then younger players will follow then get the best academy players stock pile them like city and Chelsea do
    We will become the most hated club in England

• the Northumbrian

May 22, 2020 at 12:25 PM

Big Bob aren’t we the most hated club in the world already?

• IrishRob

May 22, 2020 at 12:26 PM

I just had wafer thin sliced bbq pastrami brisket piled high on a soft floury bap with mayonnaise in one side and hot English mustard on the other. I nearly ate my fingers and all with it, it was that good.

What’s everyone else having?

• Reilly

May 22, 2020 at 12:31 PM

NUFC 360
    @NUFC360
    1m
    The proposed £300m takeover of #NUFC is finally expected to be resolved next week.

Approval for the Saudi Arabian-backed bid remains the most likely outcome following a thorough investigation by the Premier League which, it is understood, has been completed. [Telegraph]

• Ron Knee

May 22, 2020 at 12:35 PM

Ruin a band name by changing one letter.

Examples:

The Beetles
    Mister Sledge
    Basis
    The Spite Girls, etc.

• JohnJ

May 22, 2020 at 12:35 PM

I don’t see Bale as a player that would take Newcastle forward to where we all want to be!

Let him go across the pond to the USA that would suit him best I think.

We are soon to be in the unique position of choosing and buying the cream of the cream – we don’t need those that are past their best we need to be looking at up and coming hungry young bucks who are raring to go!

• the white tino

May 22, 2020 at 12:39 PM

Ron knee one of my favourite bands
    Stiff Little Ringers

• JohnJ

May 22, 2020 at 12:39 PM

Took a little drive down to one of my favoured local spots next to Crusoe’s at the Tynemouth end of The Longsands earlier today.

I always take an interest in the shipping at anchor as my late Father was a Navigating Officer in the Merchant Navy

Today there was a “Small” Cruise Liner very fine lines! Just wondered if it had anything to do with you know who?

• Swanny

May 22, 2020 at 12:48 PM

Excruciating!

Never ending waiting, false dawns,

Bale nah

Courtino nah

Any player nah

At this moment in time I JUST WANT RID OF THE FAT COCK KNEE BAR STEWARD

• Ron Knee

May 22, 2020 at 12:48 PM

Seen on twitter:

Poxy Music

• Ron Knee

May 22, 2020 at 12:49 PM

Public Enema

• geordiesteve520

May 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM

I’d like us to set up a similar business model to what Red Bull have set up, with multiple stages of development clubs all working together and sourcing the best players.

• Ron Knee

May 22, 2020 at 12:51 PM

Seen on twitter:

Bob Marley and the Waiters

• The Prince's Mate

May 22, 2020 at 12:51 PM

Amanda Staveley.. what a woman (and canny arm candy). She’s persisted for 3yrs to get her project?! up and running. Phatt boy accused her of being a tyre kicker and doing business with her was a waste of time, that’s probably because he has no class and everything has to be done his cheap chav way and done yesterday. She in the meantime has managed to knock £50m off asking price, make approx £25-£30m for herself in the bargain… Oh, and is about to become one of the top directors for THE RICHEST SPORTING CLUB ON THE Planet…. Not bad for a tyre kicker from t’Yorkshire

• Pat On The Heed

May 22, 2020 at 12:53 PM

I’d take Bale. He’s a long way from washed up. A mix is needed. Young and hungry, yes (Grealish, Edouard, Soumare) but one or two with WC status and presence sets the tone of a club meaning business.

• Jib

May 22, 2020 at 12:54 PM

Sad Company and Tree

• Jib

May 22, 2020 at 12:55 PM

Queer

• bettyswallocks

May 22, 2020 at 12:57 PM

I think someone suggested this earlier. Very appropriate and should be sung at the match.

• Thump

May 22, 2020 at 12:57 PM

@The Prince’s Mate: Everybody was a tire kicker to Ashley. The thing is, he didn’t want to do the negotiations, he just wanted to get his cash and do one.

Seems he learned that the world doesn’t dance to his tune.

• WLtoon

May 22, 2020 at 12:57 PM

The Princes Mate

Great post mate, that was exactly what i was thinking about Wor Mandy.
    I actually had a tear in my eye when i seen her on the front of The Sun with The Toon headlines, and the whole country to see. Absolutely amazing lady. In a few years time we should do a whip round for a statue.

• Ron Knee

May 22, 2020 at 12:58 PM

Will Broadfoot@Will_Broadfoot

Leotard Cohen

• Jib

May 22, 2020 at 1:00 PM

The Sinks

• The Prince's Mate

May 22, 2020 at 1:00 PM

Goth@1. Good comment, I wouldn’t want him either… on £300k pw? no thanks.
    I don’t want anymore mercenaries at NUFC.
    I want players to join us because they’re proud to be part of potentially one of the biggest clubs of the future… NO more last big pay check courtesy of NUFC

• Ron Knee

May 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM

My favourite so far:

Cheam

• Bladey

May 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM

Well well TAKEOVER still on red must be giving you season ticket holders grey hairs
    Oh hang on most of you are well past the grey stage anyway
    Lawyers still working hard to stop the Saudi’s
    Getting rid of your saviour big mike
    I am sure it will work out in the end for you and when the season starts again maybe you lot and ASH can see eye to eye especially if he can persuade Colback his future lies with us
    Ta ta for now
    ASH IN CARVER AND WISE IN BRUCE OUT
    TAKEOVER ON RED

• norfolknhope

May 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM

Band names..

Slur
    Thin jizzy
    Minge ure
    Magic Street preachers
    The she
    Ass

• IrishRob

May 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM

Proxy music and public enema are the best so far by a long way, keep it up guys. Lol

• WLtoon

May 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM

bettyswallocks

You pinched my tune you swine lol

• IrishRob

• Ron Knee

May 22, 2020 at 1:07 PM

Or:

The Polite

• Ron Knee

May 22, 2020 at 1:07 PM

There’s a weird echo in here.

• cleveleysbob

May 22, 2020 at 1:08 PM

Best thing I’ve seen in years – Football.London have written an article about how we are likely to steal all the best players that Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs might be interested in this Summer as we re-establish ourselves at the upper end of the League, bloody brilliant, they’re shitting themselves already!! It’s on NewsNow feed.