web analytics

Former Barcelona Midfielder Pushes Real Madrid Star To Lead A Rejuvenated Newcastle

Last week there was an audacious report from Spain claiming that once the Newcastle takeover was approved, our new owners would make signing Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale back a priority.

We had our doubts that Bale would make the move to Tyneside at the time. A few days later, the Chronicle reached out to Bale’s entourage who called the link ‘bad journalism’.

Spanish journalist and Rafa Benitez confidant Guillem Balague also said that Bale was not interested in joining Newcastle. This is what Balague said on his YouTube channel a few days ago.

“Bale doesn’t have an interest, right now, in going to Newcastle, even if [the takeover] happens. And then yes, it’s true that there will be a limit due to Financial Fair Play. That’s the story that Bale is not interested in going to Newcastle.”

Bale will turn 31 in July and still has two years remaining on his lucrative contract. His high wages will be an issue for any club that tries to sign the Welshman.

A move to the MLS is something that Bale has publicly stated he would be open to. This what the winger said late last month on The Hat-Trick podcast which features former Newcastle midfielder Ray Hudson:

“I think it’s a league that’s on the up and still rising. I think a lot more players want to come over to America now and play. I’d definitely be interested in it. I love going to Los Angeles on holiday and stuff like that.

“I really, really like the league. I think it’s grown so much over the years. When we come over and play them now in preseason, the games are difficult. The standard is getting a lot better, and I think all the clubs are improving, the facilities are improving, stadiums are improving.”

Bale fits the profile of a superstar who joins the MLS. They are generally on the downward slope of their career but still can get big money in the States.

Whether Bale is that point of his career is unclear. There are signs that the oft-injured winger is well past his prime. However, he’s still young enough to have a few good years left in him if he can remain fit.

Former Brazil and Barcelona great Rivaldo spoke to Betfair recently and is pushing Bale to return to England, with Newcastle specifically mentioned.

This is what Rivaldo had to say as published in the Mirror:

“There are rumors that Gareth Bale is being offered to MLS clubs and that he is looking forward to a move to the US soon,”

“But I still think he has something left to show in European football at 30 years old, before moving to the MLS.

“I believe his career at Real Madrid is coming to an end, as his chances in the starting 11 will be limited, especially with potential new arrivals this summer.

“The club no longer trusts him to be a decisive player after some internal problems in the last few years.

“For that reason, leaving Real Madrid seems highly probable, but I suppose he should continue in Europe for at least two or three more years, and perhaps moving to the Premier League would be the best option for him now.”

“Newcastle should receive a big money injection this summer with a new owner coming to town, and this could be a great destination for Gareth Bale, as he could reassume his superstar status at the club and keep earning a big amount of money,”

“It would be a great chance for him to prove he is still a top-class player and be considered again one of the best in the world, so if this offer really comes, I think he should accept it.

“At Newcastle, he would be the biggest star of the team and could lead a rejuvenated squad to a good Premier League campaign.”

If we had to guess where Bale would end up for next season, we don’t think it will be Newcastle or the MLS. He seems to us to be determined to remain in Madrid to push for his place and see out his contract.

• Thump

May 22, 2020 at 11:48 AM

Bale always seemed to me a player who lost his drive when he left Spurs. Feels almost like he bought into his own hype, and assumed he was a top player.

• Captain AmeriMag

May 22, 2020 at 11:49 AM

Whether it would be a good move or not is debatable (I personally think it would be perfect) but more importantly friggin Rivaldo is advising Gareth Bale to sign for Newcastle!!

Say that out loud and tell me I’m not in a wet dream fantasy land!!

#CANS

• IrishRob

May 22, 2020 at 11:50 AM

I wonder will players bought when the window opens be allowed to play remaining games of this season?

• duncandisorderly

May 22, 2020 at 11:52 AM

Can’t see that happening

• Mirandinha

May 22, 2020 at 11:54 AM

Charnley will be busy up the ladders taking down the SD signs and putting them in the back of his Range Rover then carting them down the road to the stadium of the unwashed.

• HarryConkers

May 22, 2020 at 11:55 AM

There’ll be transfers and other decisions made that we won’t entirely agree with…..but, isn’t it just a massive breathe of fresh air to be able to believe we are actually going to try and be successful again!!

I can’t stop smiling!

• IrishRob

May 22, 2020 at 11:56 AM

My guess the reason he wants to stay in Spain is the weather and the money hes on, clearly hes not that bothered about playing. Now the difference in Spain and Newcastle weather wise is colossal. Enough said!

• duncandisorderly

May 22, 2020 at 11:57 AM

Still waiting for the announcement for the #cans moment but it’s all we ever wanted, to be free of Ashley and have some hope

• the Northumbrian

May 22, 2020 at 11:58 AM

Rob that’s a good point
    I think that being as the prem is nearly meant to be finished these 9 games to play will be used as both a season ender and a form of pre season but don’t think they will be allowed to play

• duncandisorderly

May 22, 2020 at 11:59 AM

We’d be better off trying to pick up people with a bit of ambition if they’re not enthusiastic. Swansongs are all well and good when the player wants to go out on a high or be remembered as “the one”. Last thing we want is another Michael Owen

• Mund

May 22, 2020 at 11:59 AM

Captain I’ve got to admit I got half a dafty on hearing Rivaldo mention our club

• duncandisorderly

May 22, 2020 at 12:01 PM

Imagine if they let teams bring in new players? Teams in the relegation zone would be trying to buy their way out

• the Northumbrian

May 22, 2020 at 12:01 PM

Anyone think that Bale pic looks like a skinny sumo wrestler?

• JohnReese

May 22, 2020 at 12:02 PM

It is a bit surreal to hear Rivaldo talk about us. Arguably one of my favourite players I was fortunate to watch play football. Made everything look so easy, I had always dreamed of him playing for us but maybe I’ll just have to settle for his son Rivaldinho. I believe the two managed to play together for Mogi Mirim back in Brazil. How proud would that make you as a father.

• AncientC

May 22, 2020 at 12:06 PM

A quote from Van Gaal from about 2 years ago:

“I will probably not manage a club anymore.

“I would make one exception – if a big English club comes for me, then I would do it. Because then I can get the chance to get one over on Manchester United.”

Sign him up for DOF with a progressive manager below him.

• the Northumbrian

May 22, 2020 at 12:07 PM

Read an article a couple of years back on rivaldo playing dribbling practice with his son and give up after 15 mins cos he couldn’t get the ball

• big bob

May 22, 2020 at 12:08 PM

Need to use loan system next season like psg did with mbappe
    Bale on loan
    Mertens on a free big wage
    Zaha
    Walker right back
    Rose left back
    Good defensive midfielder
    Then a top forward but who ??

• JP...from The Rock

May 22, 2020 at 12:09 PM

I don’t think we have much of a chance in signing Bale. 1- the weather like mentioned above. 2- we’re not playing in Champions League nor Europa League. Players of this calibre will no doubt want to keep playing in those competitions.

But then again money talks. Yet I don’t want another Owen on our hands. I much rather we go after players that are hungry to play and show their worth in the EPL than making themselves rich and a final payday their priority.

I would love it if we sign Hirving Lozano, Grealish and Josef Martinez. That would radically change our attack and make us a huge threat going forward.

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2020 at 12:10 PM

Someone on twitter pointed out that Brucie had a veiled dig at Mikey’s frugal policies meaning that if Churnley calls him in for it he can just tell him to foot right off, what you going to do sack me?

• JP...from The Rock

May 22, 2020 at 12:11 PM

Big bob- Rose can piss off. Don’t rate him anymore. Nothing like the player he used to be. Willems way ahead of him. Tbh we can do better than both of them with the new owners in charge.

• the Northumbrian

May 22, 2020 at 12:13 PM

Got a picture in my head,Amanda sitting up in her box and the crowd breaking into you sexy thing by hot chocolate

• Jib

May 22, 2020 at 12:24 PM

I remember Rivaldo in the 3 – 2 v Barcelona in 1997
    The first half was a tour de force by Tino and I commented to my
    mate in the first half that Barcelona were nowt special particularly
    Rivaldo.
    The second half Barca come to life particularly memorable were
    Miguel Angel Nadal (Rafa’s uncle) Luis Enrique and Figo but the
    pick of the bunch was Rivaldo – Louis van Gaal must have given them
    a right lugfull at half-time

• lesh

May 22, 2020 at 12:48 PM

Jib

No doubt you watched the Barcelona game on TV?

Now come on Jib, be honest

• Munster Mag

May 22, 2020 at 1:03 PM

Oh give over lesh ffs

• JohnJ

May 22, 2020 at 1:51 PM

Perhaps you will recall I wrote to 3 MP’s who “Objected” to the takeover of NUFC?

Well I still haven’t had a response from those MP’s however I have today received a response from Alan Campbell’s researcher as follows

Dear Mr J…..

Alan has asked me to contact you to thank you for copying him into your email.

He notes your comments with interest. It looks likely that the move will be approved today, judging by media reports this morning.

Best wishes

Sarah
    Researcher to
    Alan Campbell MP
    Tynemouth

• JohnJ

May 22, 2020 at 1:55 PM

Oh I do love to be beside the Seaside!……

With St James’ Park less than 10 miles away!

Howay me bonny bairns!