web analytics

Takeover Date Cited, Target Shopped By Agent, And FA Cup Glory Still In Play – Today’s News Roundup

Today a report claimed that the takeover will be announced on June 1st, Newcastle target Myron Boadu is being shopped by his agent, and the FA remains committed to completing the FA Cup this season.

Here is the roundup of today’s articles and news from The Newcastle United Blog.

• Kevin Vegan

May 23, 2020 at 2:22 AM

WLtoon I’ve followed the blog for years, posted a few times in the past but a lot more lately. Never really got into more extended discussions before.

• NY Mag

May 23, 2020 at 2:22 AM

The wife,

The weather is kinda weird right now. The forecast is for 30+ temperatures (85 or more) with some thunderstaorms over the next few days.

Gretchen is taking a hammering right now….not sure she deserves it, but it is what it is.
    I have to be honest, I really like Murphy (NJ) I watch his press conferences and he comes across really well.

Stay safe and stay well

• coming home

May 23, 2020 at 2:23 AM

If you want to make me look stupid

I can meet you maybe a19 never pennywell
    Your neck of the woods and il show you a house I live in ,retired at 56 then il check your house in leadgate lol

• carltoon

May 23, 2020 at 2:26 AM

Goodnight NY mag, goodnight everyone, hope we have the takeover soon.

• NY Mag

May 23, 2020 at 2:29 AM

Goodnight Carltoon,

Take care and stay safe and well…..we are all hoping for the best 🙂

• Muz

May 23, 2020 at 2:32 AM

Where did I say I lived in Leadgate? Oh that’s right I didn’t but you are a bit thick and can’t read properly so you just jumped to an incorrect conclusion ; you do that a lot.

I made a mistake earlier when I said you sounded like you were drinking special brew. You are clearly on the Buckfast.

I don’t know how you can still be on here posting when you’ve been caught in an egregious lie about your money and profession. It’s a bit sociopathic don’t you think?

• The Wife

May 23, 2020 at 2:32 AM

RobLeenio,

Hahaha, that “medical professional” is our state Secretary of Health and Human Services in NC.

I get what you’re saying, but what I gleaned from the question (and her reply) was that when people are tested, they are recording positive or negative only and not positive with symptoms vs. positive without symptoms. And maybe that’s what they’ll be working towards in the future to track.

I’m sure Neil and I will stick to just take-out for a while longer, even though restaurants can have dine-in patrons now. That’s what we prefer to do anyway. 🙂

• Kevin Vegan

May 23, 2020 at 2:34 AM

I said I wouldn’t do it but I can’t avoid it…

Muz, who said there are 60,000 more people dead where? And over what time frame? Just quoting a number like that and not giving context is really not useful, but if you look at the disease progression it really doesn’t look like we’re struggling to get things under control globally. What happens with most diseases is we get better at preventing and treating them the longer time goes on, but that requires people to be studying and working in a functioning society and with adequate provisions. Rather than that we have responded on a knee-jerk and gone into hiding. I have no idea what you think your 60,000 figure tells us but our population grows by about 400,000 people every year in Britain and covid isn’t set to slow that down at this point. There have been significantly fewer than 60,000 covid-19 deaths in the UK this year though, so I’m assuming that isn’t what you mean.

In a global context, our world population has grown by about 30 million people this year, where covid-19 has killed just over 300,000 people going by official statistics.

• Muz

May 23, 2020 at 2:40 AM

Kevin, I’m more than happy to point you in the direction of the Office of National Statistics where 5 days ago it was shown we were 55’000 over the average. This info is in the public domain. Factor in the new deaths since and a margin of error you’re ad 60k

Nothing to do with population growth. This is over the number for the previous period in 2019,2028,2017.

Numbers don’t lie

• Muz

May 23, 2020 at 2:41 AM

Of course that should be 2018, not 2028

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 23, 2020 at 2:47 AM

Speaking of UFOs anyone watching the Skinwalker series, they reckon to have recorded a UFO on video but I have to say that it seemed all to easy to me, the reactions of the ‘cast’ are just to staged for my liking.

Digital affects are so easy nowadays.

I’ll give it a few more episodes but my credulity levels are diminishing rapidly.

On a personal level I watched a bright light moving across sky a couple of days don’t think it was a plane, could have been a satellite but it was daytime so it would have to be a big one. loved to have got my binoc’s out but it was moving to quickly so didn’t get the chance.

• RobLeenio

May 23, 2020 at 2:50 AM

The Wife, I think you’re wise to do just that. If you can cut your hair yourself and do without that nail polish, then do it. It’s time to hunker down, no matter what your media are telling you. The North East of England is a case in point – the UK was two weeks behind Italy, we were two weeks behind London, New Jersey was a week behind New York, North Carolina could be four weeks behind New York, therefore still not at its peak and restrictions are being lifted?

The New York Times graph suggests cases in your State are still rising.

Relaxing restrictions in your neighbourhood, especially with the way your media are treating it, seems premature, but I hope I’m wrong.

Is your State Secretary of Health and Human Services in an elected position?

All the best.

• The Wife

May 23, 2020 at 2:50 AM

Anyway,

This has been making the rounds here in the US, and it IS the night shift, so….

• RobLeenio

May 23, 2020 at 2:55 AM

Bill, evening mate. Was likely the ISS you were looking at – looming bright and large over the UK skies at around 11pm at the moment. Very beautiful.

• RobLeenio

May 23, 2020 at 2:59 AM

Right, that’s it – forever in my mind, this is how you and Neil look!

Though I bet he can pull off a better spin than that,

😉

• The Wife

May 23, 2020 at 3:04 AM

RobLeenio,

She was appointed by the Governor, not elected.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 23, 2020 at 3:04 AM

Rob

That was what I thought it might be, it was around 10am and a clear blue sky, funny thing was it disappeared as I tried to focus my eyes on it but it was going in a straight line so probably was the ISS.

And on that note I’m off to bed, Gd’Night all!

• Kevin Vegan

May 23, 2020 at 3:07 AM

Muz, I don’t know what you think you can ascertain from that one statistic in isolation. I also haven’t seen anyone really contest the official figure for the death toll, which currently stands at just over 36,000. Was there a point to you repeatedly bringing up this number like it somehow proved that anyone who’s questioning our government’s response is inherently deserves to be insulted? Because from my perspective that appears to have been your response here.

I think I might have to bow out of the covid chat again there. I saw you mention this number of 60,000 deaths a few times and it seemed like you thought it was something of great relevance, but if that’s what you’re basing your opinions on I’ll stick to reading actual peer-reviewed academic literature on the topic rather than footy blogs.

• Kevin Vegan

May 23, 2020 at 3:08 AM

36,000 being the UK death toll by the way

• NY Mag

May 23, 2020 at 3:12 AM

The wife @333

Very apt and very good
    Nice one 🙂

• NY Mag

May 23, 2020 at 3:13 AM

G’night Bill,

Stay safe and stay healthy my friend!!

• Muz

May 23, 2020 at 3:15 AM

There’s nothing more peer reviewed than the data at the office if national statistics.

Freedom the 18th May.
    Almost 55,000 more people have died in the UK since the pandemic struck in March than the average of the past five years, according to official data published on Tuesday.

It’s not even that hard to understand. I mean, I get that you don’t want to believe it but denying it when it’s literally in your face as unquestionable data is staggering.

• Muz

May 23, 2020 at 3:20 AM

36’000 is the official death toll determined where cause of death is officially stated asdue to Covid-19 but the number has been manipulated to make it look a little less worse than it actually is. That’s why when people say that it’s just flu or we should ease the lockdown need to realise that that kind of figure is not normal and the only factor is coronavirus.

Facts are facts mate.

• Muz

May 23, 2020 at 3:21 AM

Far too late for this, have totally lost track of time.

• RobLeenio

May 23, 2020 at 3:22 AM

So, appointed by an elected official – it’s kinda the same thing.

She’ll be looking after her boss and playing to the voters.

It works fine when things are normal, but we’re not living in normal times.

Her boss is under extreme pressure to open up for business. Here’s another report (again from ABC11) from a week ago where the media, religious bodies and the legal system are all aligning against him.

Interesting that there’s no medical opinion in this report, but cites a ‘group of hairdressers’. Nice that the reporter has great dental work though.

Very worrying that he quotes a legal professor saying that the State is “exercising its police power to…. maintain its regime”. That’s rather extreme language, in my opinion.

• RobLeenio

May 23, 2020 at 3:27 AM

Muz, it’s even more staggering when you consider the number of people that would have normally died in that time from traffic accidents, industrial accidents and other causes which have been drastically reduced by the whole population being in lockdown.

• Our Toon

May 23, 2020 at 3:35 AM

Interesting night people.

Kevin the biggest issue with the virus is and was the infection rate, it was predicted quite early that it’ll have a 2% or 3% fatality rate, normal flu has 0.7 I think off the top of my head.

Add to that the contagious nature of the virus was and is the main reason for lockdown. Looking at fatality numbers only makes no sense. 255k of cases in UK with almost 37k reported to have passed away. UK population is 66.7m, now how many more lives would be lost if a shutdown wasnt initiated. It’s always been about controlling the strain on health service, by doing so it saves lives

Question for those that doubt for seriousness of the virus, why would every country sabotage there economies for something which is apparently make believe?

• RobLeenio

May 23, 2020 at 3:37 AM

As a counterpoint, this is the level of scrutiny at which public figures in the UK are held, rightly too. It cannot be one rule for us and another for them. My Mum (as an example) missed out on her 70th birthday celebration because of this virus.

Cummings has to go, and BJ himself is surely severely damaged for turning a blind eye.

• The Wife

May 23, 2020 at 3:39 AM

RobLeenio,

The problem is, the situation is complicated and it’s gotten political. But the fact of the matter is, the 1st Amendment prohibits the government from making laws which regulate an establishment of religion. If people can go to the grocery store, the hardware store, Target or Walmart and follow safe practices, why can’t people go to church following safe practices? This is the argument, and in my opinion it’s a valid one. Our governor is indeed under pressure, and he’s up for re-election in November, so what he does now will most likely determine if he gets to keep his job.

• RobLeenio

May 23, 2020 at 3:53 AM

Surely, though, politicians are elected to represent their constituents in the best possible way, not to play to their donors? Sure, economies might take a hit, businesses may close, politicians’ ratings will take a hit, but we’re talking about the lives of thousands of people.

Chi Onwurah, MP for Newcastle Central, for all her faults, would not put political donors over the safety of her constituents. She can’t, because her finances are scrutinised and there are laws in place to prevent her taking that kind of money.

I’m not trying to make your state or federal Government change its policies, I just want you, Neil, Ed and Madeleine and the rest of your family to be safe.

• RobLeenio

May 23, 2020 at 3:55 AM

Anyway, bed for me – definitely in the dog house with the missus.

I have a full bank holiday weekend to make it up to her, though.

#cans

• The Wife

May 23, 2020 at 4:09 AM

Goodnight, RobLeenio! I enjoyed the discussion tonight! 🙂

• ChicoUSA

May 23, 2020 at 5:01 AM

Sometimes incorrect statements of “facts” are lost in the emotional shuffle, when people get into personal insults and defensive posturing. Earlier on this blog thread a statement was made that the death rate due to COVID-19 was no different than that for the seasonal flu. I’m sorry but I’m not seeing it in reputable source.

Here is a statement on the topic taken from Medical Xpress from an article dated May 8, 2020. This is focused on data from the US.
    “The estimated COVID-19 death rate of 1.3% is still much higher than the U.S. death rate for seasonal flu for 2018-2019, which was just 0.1% of cases, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.“

Link to full article: Ihttps://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-covid-death.html

There may be other sources of attempts to derive the coronavirus related death rate, so I’m not saying this is the only one. Also I’m not calling anyone names, or telling them they are stupid. But if you make a statement that is a bit inflammatory then please provide some sort of evidence.

Now back to #cans!!! 😀

• ChicoUSA

May 23, 2020 at 5:03 AM

• ChicoUSA

May 23, 2020 at 5:06 AM

Also just to be clear, a death rate of 1.3 percent is over ten times higher than 0.1 percent…

• ChicoUSA

May 23, 2020 at 5:17 AM

Here is another source that shows same covid-19 death rate stats as above:

Rafa In! Amanda In! Reuben Brothers In! PIF of KSA please support reform! 😛

• Hal

May 23, 2020 at 6:49 AM

Morning all.

and its another beautiful bright sunny morning here in Norwich. Birds singing, crickets chirping, bloody woodpeckers smacking their beaks off trees at 4 in the morning… I hate summer… That Poch interview was interesting. I’ll have to watch the full thing, keep catching clips.

• Ron Knee

May 23, 2020 at 7:07 AM

Chris Giles@ChrisGiles_

Update: Following the latest hospital data, a cautious estimate of the number of UK excess deaths linked to coronavirus up to 22 May is

63,600

• The Prince's Mate

May 23, 2020 at 7:07 AM

Good morning HAL, just woken up in my armchair.. (an old man’s habit) need to get some shut-eye… have a great weekend.
    Carltoon… don’t be frightened sweetie, we’re all here for you… we’re all here for each other x

• Kevin Vegan

May 23, 2020 at 10:02 AM

Muz, sorry but it’s very obvious at this point that you are not a statistician. Correlation is not the same as causation. You can’t just take the number of deaths above average and assign them to a single cause. Sorry chap but as I said, I will stick to peer-reviewed literature by properly qualified individuals, rather than amateur analysis of inappropriate data by some fella on a toon blog.