web analytics

Players In Difficult Circumstances – But We’re Better Off Than Last Season – Everything To Play For

The players are now back in training at Benton as they prepare for what could be the restart of the Premier League in the middle of next month.

The league hope they can complete the remaining 9 games/club in about five weeks and will allow five substitutes for each game, but no fans are allowed inside the stadium where the games are being played.

No fans and will be allowed outside the stadiums either, for that matter, which is a concern for Premier League officials at the moment.

The coaches at Newcastle are taking a significant amount of caution as the Newcastle club doctor, Dr. Paul Catterson is overseeing everything on the medical front.

That includes three COVID19 tests every week.

Jamaal Lascelles (shown above) has been interviewed in the Chronicle, and it’s undoubtedly not things as usual in training.

This is some of what the Newcastle captain had to say:

“You turn up and see the staff with the personal protective equipment on.”

“When I’m there it’s just the defenders and it’s four to a pitch so the social distancing and protocols are in place.”

“It’s strange but at the same time it’s really refreshing to be back, see the staff and medical team and get things going again.”

“There is a bigger picture.”

“I always look at things like that and I have been taking positive things like that.”

“And I’ve been trying to keep fit and just keep on top of things.”

“It’s not been too bad for me really.”

Newcastle need a couple of wins to reach the 40 point target, and we have 9 games to do that, but the sooner, the better for our fans.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
10Burnley38-754
11Southampton38-952
12Everton38-1249
13Newcastle38-2044
14Crystal Palace38-1943
15Brighton38-1541
16West Ham38-1339

And we are doing a little bit better than last season at this time – after 29 games played – other than goals scored and goals conceded.

Premier SeasonPlayedWonDrawnLostGFGAGDPointsPosition
2018-20192987142636-103115
2019-20202998122541-173513

We finished with 45 points last season in 13th place, so we need 11 points in our final 9 games to beat that points total.

It’s possible Newcastle can do that.

And we could even win the FA Cup this season, so a lot to play for.

Howay The Lads!!

Which Manager Would You Like To Manage Newcastle Under New Owners?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Munster Mag

May 23, 2020 at 6:35 PM

Apparently we’re not called Mags Jail.

Toon22 said its a pejorative term used by Sunderland fans.

So it must be true.

• Darnik

May 23, 2020 at 6:36 PM

Was just with a few comments previously, I’ve supported Newcastle for over 30 years having spent my youth meeting up with family at sandy Bay caravan site in Newbiggin and fell in love when I went to sjp, the atmosphere seemed better back when it was 36,000 but I think a lot of that is down to fcb

• JohnJ

May 23, 2020 at 6:38 PM

jane

May 23, 2020 at 6:11 PM

ell’s bells jane you jangled my old grey cells with that lot. I remember “The Jungle” only went a couple of times never felt safe there!

I loved The Bay Hotel in my earlier days I used to go to The Bay Folk Club later it was good to sit in the upstairs lounge and look out over Cullercoats Bay.

The Avenue & The Station in Whitley Bay were very good. In my younger days I worked at The Avenue the manager was a Frenchman Vic (kept a wonderful pint of beer) his wife was Alice who was from Ashington. Later on they went to manage The Portland in Ashington.

I met my wife to be in The Avenue “Batcave” as that bar was called. One night when I was working there was a group of lads from Consett in and they caused a bit of bother and were waiting outside for the barstaff who had “evicted” them but Vic just pulled the pints and said “just sit they’ll go” and they did!

• jane

May 23, 2020 at 6:38 PM

“The Wolsington was called “The White Brick””

are you sure this says they were different pubs..

“The White Brick, Dock Road Gone

The Wolsington, Appleby Street Gone”

• gggrrrr

May 23, 2020 at 6:39 PM

Hibbit it was carters

• bill

May 23, 2020 at 6:39 PM

The only place I saw strippers was on an afternoon down Waterloo Street in one of those Lager Houses. I think they opened up in what was a CWS outlet.

• barrowtoon

May 23, 2020 at 6:40 PM

Jib the Stanley is round the corner in Rudyerd street. Used to love New Year’s Day night round Shields had many a laugh and jaw dropping moments round there. Top house then Charlie’s down to the Stanley round to Colin Campbell then the Ballaratt finish off in the Alnwick or the Garricks.

• Anglo Saxon

May 23, 2020 at 6:42 PM

Hibbit was it Carter’s ladies bar.

• Darnik

May 23, 2020 at 6:43 PM

Jib not taking sides mate but crimdon dene is Blackhall ts 27 isn’t Hartlepool and I’m a postman, just pointing it, out like I said not taking sides

• Anglo Saxon

May 23, 2020 at 6:44 PM

gggrrrr, Snap.

• hibbit

May 23, 2020 at 6:46 PM

gggrrrr that’s it carters wine lodge thanks lads

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 6:52 PM

johnj …

nowt wrong with the jungle mate 😀

• naptoon

May 23, 2020 at 6:52 PM

Can’t wait for bars to reopen my brother works out in Italy they’ve reopened theirs …. Keeps posting me pics of him supping on Snapchat. Hopefully it won’t be to long for us. Not going to be in time for footy tho. Sigh.

• Jib

May 23, 2020 at 6:56 PM

barrowtoon
    Hofbrauhaus

• Jib

May 23, 2020 at 6:57 PM

I loved the jungle
    Especially when Ginger Burns was the manager
    What a laugh
    violent but very funny

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 6:58 PM

Jib …

you mention the stanley arms in shields , Tony Burgo had that pub back in the day …

• jane

May 23, 2020 at 6:58 PM

“The English Premier League, which is so desperate to complete the season and avoid a potential £762m rebate on its broadcast income, is also working on a plan that would see top-flight football resume in England, either from June 12 or June 19.”

• simon376

May 23, 2020 at 6:58 PM

Nashers
    You mentioning that, brought back memories of many a happy Friday night straight after work for a couple of XB’s in the Blackie Boy, must be 24/25 years since last in there

• Jib

May 23, 2020 at 6:59 PM

Manny’s brother

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 7:00 PM

Jib …

the jungle , mainly got violent when it was full of Seamen , phillipino’s used the jungle and it wasn’t only for the beer or the drugs …

😀

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 7:01 PM

aye Manny the boxer , he only had one fight didn’t he ? …

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 7:03 PM

Tony Burgo had a house at Dockwray Square …

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 7:03 PM

only had one fight *

• barrowtoon

May 23, 2020 at 7:04 PM

Nah Tom he had more than one pro fight, I remember he fought one Saturday night and it was on the box. He got beat but still an extremely hard puncher especially with drunken idiots in the Sov and the Rex

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 7:09 PM

Barrow …

i was told he only had one fight and he got beat didn’t like it , urban myth i suppose mate …

• Jib

May 23, 2020 at 7:09 PM

Manny Burgo , from North Shields, had the distinction of defeating Alan Hand, Peter Aldridge and Fenrick Ward all on the same day to win the Jack Solomons Heavyweight competition in 1957.

• hibbit

May 23, 2020 at 7:09 PM

here’s one for you all to mull over the hardest man in Newcastle Viv in the Golden Tiger bottom of Pilgrim ST lets see how many of you know the pups of Newcastle

• Jib

May 23, 2020 at 7:10 PM

In all, Manny won 18 pro fights – 11 inside the distance – and lost only four in a career spanning 1955 to 1958.

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 7:10 PM

knew Tony pretty well not so much manny …

• Jib

May 23, 2020 at 7:11 PM

I used to train in the same gym as Viv Graham in Jesmond
    He was awesome and a really nice bloke

• Jib

May 23, 2020 at 7:14 PM

You mean ‘Vivien’ (George Gill)
    He was killed in the Azure Blue

• Jib

May 23, 2020 at 7:15 PM

The Golden Tiger was a gay bar before folk knew what a gay bar was

• barrowtoon

May 23, 2020 at 7:15 PM

Aye Tom the one fight people talk about is probably the one that was on the box. I guess back then unless you followed boxing people probably thought he’d only had the one. He was well beaten but I take my hat off to him to even get to that level. I think Tony passed a few year back

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 7:17 PM

Barrow …

never saw him fight mate , as i said urban myth .

• Bigjim67

May 23, 2020 at 7:17 PM

geordietom

The Ship in the hole, i worked in Wallsend dry dry docks 89-92. Used to go there meself Friday and Sunday afternoons before starting back shift. Had some rough looking ladies performing there like! Could get away with having a few pints and then going into work and operating machinery!!!!

• barrowtoon

May 23, 2020 at 7:18 PM

We’re talking about two different Mannys lol you talking about the dad I’m talking about the son

• barrowtoon

May 23, 2020 at 7:18 PM

That was for Jib

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 7:19 PM

Barrow …

that was gonna be my next question about Tony but you answered it mate . good bloke not what people made him out to be , cant remember his wife’s name . was it Dot ? …

• barrowtoon

May 23, 2020 at 7:22 PM

Not sure Tom I never knew Tony well

• geordietom

May 23, 2020 at 7:23 PM

Bigjim …

your not kidding rough looking is a understatement , when i first went there didn’t know about the strippers bought a pint turned round there’s a lass bollock naked turned around bent over opened her legs wide open , nearly put me off me pint … 😀