web analytics

Magpie Raves About Former Teammate Who Is ‘Now A Massive Player’

Matt Ritchie quickly became a leader at Newcastle when he joined in the summer of 2016 from Bournemouth. We had just been relegated, but that didn’t deter the winger from dropping down a division to come to Tyneside.

Ritchie’s been an outstanding servant to the club since then. He’s become well known for his over-exuberance when celebrating with his teammates as well as his total commitment to the cause.

This season has been one of adversity for the 30-year-old, though. He missed over four months with the ankle injury suffered in August.

However, it’s not been all negative as his contract was extended to 2023 this past March.

The Chronicle have published some comments Ritchie made to Open Goal podcast about when he first joined Newcastle.

Ritchie singled out former Magpie Georginio Wijnaldum as a player who left him amazed during training. This is what Ritchie said about the now Liverpool midfielder.

“Gini Wijnaldum was still there. This geezer. He didn’t want to be there so you can imagine he was in first gear every day.

“We trained for about six weeks and this guy was just smiling and he must have been thinking: ‘I have Liverpool on the back-burner’.” But he never gave the ball away. Everything he did, even in tiny little pockets he would find a Cruyff turn, little flicks around the corner. He was just unbelievable.

“Obviously now he has gone to Liverpool and he plays a little bit deeper. I watch him sometimes and I never really saw him in that role. In Newcastle he was a number 10. He was like a striker really at Newcastle but he has gone on to Liverpool and he is now a massive player.

“He, for me, was the one where I thought: ‘Wow, this guy is a joke’.”

Wijnaldum had all too short of a stay at Newcastle. He was only around for three weeks after Ritchie came aboard.

The Dutchman spent just one miserable season at Newcastle where we were relegated despite spending close to £80m, including £14.5 for the Wijnaldum.

Though it hurt at the time, in retrospect, we really can’t fault the 29-year-old for jumping to Liverpool. It turned out to be a magnificent move for him and he’s become such a complete player under Jurgen Klopp.

Last May, Gini had this to say about his time in Newcastle:

“I have great memories. I enjoyed the club, I enjoyed the city, I enjoyed the people, I enjoyed my teammates.

“That’s also the reason that I felt free there and I could play the way I was playing and I scored goals.

“I only have good memories; the only bad thing is that we were relegated, but besides that I had a great time there and my family had a great time there.

“Once in a while, I go back to Newcastle because I love the city.”

Interestingly, Wijnaldum’s contract with Liverpool expires next summer and talks have seemingly stalled on an extension.

While it seems crazy to even entertain it, we’d certainly let bygones be bygones and welcome Gini back to Newcastle under the new owners.

Is It Worth £20M To Bring Rafa Benitez Back To Newcastle?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• JohnJ

May 26, 2020 at 5:42 PM

Gini Wijnaldum is a cracking player – shame he could not have stayed with us longer!

• Jib

May 26, 2020 at 5:46 PM

He’s a lucky lad
    If McClaren hadn’t told Charnley that he was worth £14.5M
    Liverpool would never have looked at him

• Mund

May 26, 2020 at 5:49 PM

Shame we got relegated to think if we stayed up and kept the likes of Gigi and Sissoko with Rafa’s coaching behind them….. then a thought entered my mind that we might never of been so close to being rid of the most hated man in Newcastle

• OliveRoll

May 26, 2020 at 5:55 PM

Great player always looks like he has time on the ball, when this takeover finally happens we can look forward to building a team with even better. We have been served up sub standard entertainment for 13 years. Not blaming the team as they give it a go and you can’t ask for more but the Fat Man has milked it for every penny.

• Swlabr

May 26, 2020 at 5:56 PM

What does “gaslighting and sealioning” mean? Seriously

• Jail for Ashley

May 26, 2020 at 6:01 PM

Don’t be ridiculous Jibbers.

• DJM TOON

May 26, 2020 at 6:02 PM

Has anyone got links of this keys geezers rant?

• Jib

May 26, 2020 at 6:03 PM

They are a form of online harassment where someone questions you persistently and tries to get you to expend time and energy to explain your perspective without actually being interested in the response

• snowdone

May 26, 2020 at 6:03 PM

Oh short memories some people have! Wijnaldum and Sissoko massively under- performed during the relegation season. Granted we had a poor man manager, but these two were conspicuous by their absence in many games. Which only goes to prove that we should be looking for players with the right attitude and desire to come to take part in the new project, not chasing the quick buck.

• IrishRob

May 26, 2020 at 6:11 PM

Knew it was too good to be true. Looks like were stuck with Ashley.

Soon as its announced I’m deleting thisvamd I’m done with Newcastle I cant deal with that fat prick anymore

• ToonDownSouth

May 26, 2020 at 6:11 PM

Yeesh

Headline’s a bit sensationalist, but that ruling is pretty bad for the takeover..

• hibbit

May 26, 2020 at 6:14 PM

selective memory playing a big party here,
    Wijnaldum and Sissoko both abandoned ship long before the season end, neither of them had the slightest bit interest in the fate of nufc or it’s fans

• Jail for Ashley

May 26, 2020 at 6:15 PM

snowdone,
    Exactly, all these players cited as world class help relegate us and ensure that the profit from their sale was negated by said relegation.

• Novocastrian66

May 26, 2020 at 6:16 PM

The Guardian just won’t let it go. They have published an article at the beginning of every week to try and destabilise the takeover. I’m sick of it.

• Kevin Vegan

May 26, 2020 at 6:17 PM

Snowdone

I agree. I never thought Sissoko was all that great to be honest. He always looked far too clumsy on the ball to me.

• IrishRob

May 26, 2020 at 6:17 PM

I dont know if WTO opinion matters whether it needs to be a court of law, but I suspect that’s the takeover finished. I’m proudly declaring I’m done with this club, dont care what people say. Only complete fu*king muppets are going to still go to games and support them after this.

• IrishRob

May 26, 2020 at 6:18 PM

God I just knewwwwww I felt in in my actual bones that we werent gonna get this lucky. 🙁

• ToonDownSouth

May 26, 2020 at 6:19 PM

Novo

Guardian’s got absolutely nothing to do with it. They’re literally reporting on a ruling by an independent international body.

Perhaps the PL were waiting on this ruling before making their decision? Complete speculation but would explain why it’s taken so long.

• bettyswallocks

May 26, 2020 at 6:20 PM

Kevin…….. Ok let’s have a crack at some footy talk. I agree we shouldn’t be looking at too many thirty somethings that are on the decline. As I’ve said I think Rafa would be the best man to start the new era as he totally get’s it with regards to the region and what it means to people. He also knows how important it is to get everyone singing from the same sheet ie. Owners, Management , Players and fans so it’s a proper all inclusive team effort with no them and us.

My only concern if Rafa was to come would be how he would handle St Max. For me this kid is a very special talent and needs nurturing to become the complete forward. I mean some of the stuff he does is breathtaking and he hardly ever looks like losing the ball even when he’s running full bore. There are very few with his natural ability.
    Would Rafa stifle him and make him too rigid so he wouldn’t express himself on the ball and would his aloof man management make the lad sulk and become temperamental as he’s displayed in the past. I think this lad needs an arm round him not a kick up the arse and that’s not really Rafa’s thing. All of this obviously remains to be seen but something for you to ponder over whilst eating your………. No best not .

• Kevin Vegan

May 26, 2020 at 6:22 PM

Swlabr

Gaslighting is a rhetorical trick whereby you try to convince another person that they are not of sound mind in order to discredit or manipulate them.

Sealioning is when people pretend to be interested in a serious discussion but actually just want to harrass others.

• bettyswallocks

May 26, 2020 at 6:28 PM

Far be it from me to set fire to any sea lions but the Guardian Newspaper is a typical snowflake publication for readers that are not of sound mind. Therefore considering that they have tried to continually disrupt this takeover since the outset I will be paying no heed to anything they print.

• Mund

May 26, 2020 at 6:28 PM

IrishRob

Calm down fella just the thing to send you over the edge. We have heard nothing yet and been told no red flags. This was submitted a month ago and any evidence has to be shown to both parties and the buyers been saying no red flags.

Do you not think that the consortium would of known that all this would come up?? Considering it’s been a huge concern for a long time I’m sure this would of been anticipated

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

May 26, 2020 at 6:28 PM

jeez Rob, calm down man.

Even if this was legally proven, the point for the PL is if the people directly involved in the takeover are the ones behind the streaming. doesnt matter if BeoutQ is based in Saudi, the PL tests only look at the individuals involved in the deal.

Someone could run an illegal streaming site in this country, Prince charles wouldnt be guilty just because it came from the UK. MBS isnt automatically guilty because it came from Saudi – if it did.

I would suggest it will be near impossible to link anyone involved with this deal to BeoutQ, given how clandestine the service is, cant imagine there is any paperwork or documents linking the Saudi royalty or the PIF with it.

• geordietom

May 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM

Can the WTO ruling have any effect on the takeover ? i thought the Saudi’s stop the broadcast’s from beoutq ?

• lesh

May 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM

That WTO ruling doesn’t sound too promising and it could result in Saudi being faced with trade sanctions.

Can we but hope that it comes to nothing? I do.

• Jib

May 26, 2020 at 6:33 PM

Who cares if IrishRob calms down ffs
    If he’s such a flake good riddance
    The majority on here don’t have the choice
    NUFC always and forever

• Pat On The Heed

May 26, 2020 at 6:34 PM

“Typical snowflake publication”. Betty – you’ve turned on your old fart random cliche generator app again.

• Kevin Vegan

May 26, 2020 at 6:35 PM

Betty,

I’d be pretty happy with Rafa back. He’s one of a few names I could get behind. Wouldn’t be my first choice, but we aren’t going to get Pep or Klopp and of the names that have been mentioned I think either Rafa or Poch would be great appointments.

I think your point about ASM is valid, he’s definitely got a gift but I do think he needs a little more discipline and he needs to learn how to work more effectively with the players around him. Bruce has to take a share of the blame for that, though.

• Mund

May 26, 2020 at 6:38 PM

I’m going to bow out early tonight can’t handle the incoming negative posts crying that it’s not going to get done.

I’m sticking firmly on the positivity bus.

Just remember since this all started we have had doubts thrown at the deal then them doubts fade away for more to come to fade away and each time (speaking to the ones who take it all on) you sup it all up.

Just relax it’s happening!!

#cans

• TomaKaThor

May 26, 2020 at 6:38 PM

I don’t know if it’s that I have become so used to disappointment, lies, just aloud of bollocks when it comes to past 13 years, I almost find it amusing if this gets stopped…a insane laugh moment why am I not surprised..

On a logical level surely you would think they can’t stop the takeover if it’s an illegal satellite that they in know way condone? Every country has crime.

• lesh

May 26, 2020 at 6:38 PM

bettyswallocks

@21

Don’t you think you’re being a tad juvenile?

• Novocastrian66

May 26, 2020 at 6:41 PM

TDS; The Guardian have been reporting stories and linking them to Newcastle United takeover, constantly, since the deal was leaked with the motive to derail the deal. This is a WTO ruling and has nothing to do with the takeover however they have decided to link it to the takeover to try and influence the decision.
    They don’t want it to happen. Fact. Furthermore they are doing everything in their power to prevent it.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 26, 2020 at 6:42 PM

Sun reports – Toon deal in doubt after ruling on Saudi pirating

• geordietom

May 26, 2020 at 6:42 PM

like Gothmog is saying they are looking at the people involved in the deal , has Amanda anything to do with the piracy NOPE , do the reubens have anything to do with it NOPE , do you really think the prince is involved with it how would they prove he is they cant …

• geordietom

May 26, 2020 at 6:44 PM

i’ve just checked on my Kodi box to see if Bein is working and yes it is where’s that coming from jib you any ideas ?

• JohnReese

May 26, 2020 at 6:44 PM

I tend not to get involved with stuff like this but IrishRob do you have your own mood swing out in your front garden? Everyday you seem to flip flop between it’s happening or it’s not.

Maybe stop believing one headline but not another. Take everything with a massive pinch of salt because let’s face. No one in the press knows much of anything. I’m surprised half of them know how to type, let alone do some actual investigative journalism.

• ITUNDERASHELL

May 26, 2020 at 6:45 PM

FFS could only happen to the TOON.

• geordietom

May 26, 2020 at 6:49 PM

nowt on Sly Sports about it …

• geordietom

May 26, 2020 at 6:50 PM

sky would be all over it imo …

• the white tino

May 26, 2020 at 6:51 PM

Fcuk sake, see Irish nob is back jumping the fence again dear dear dear, spineless, pile of shite