web analytics

Struggling Magpie Focused On The Present As He Strives To Improve

Newcastle’s record signing Joelinton has had a rough start to his career on Tyneside, to say the least. He was brought in from Hoffenheim this past summer and expected to provide the goals to keep Newcastle from a relegation battle.

While he got off the mark in just the third match of the season against Tottenham, he’s managed only two FA Cup goals since.

He’s been the focus of much criticism for his poor performances this season as he’s struggled to adapt to the Premier League and playing as a lone striker.

The 23-year-old has shown few glimpses of the talent that led Newcastle to fork over a reported £40m for him this past summer. However, there does seem to be a player in there somewhere.

The Chronicle have published the following comments the Brazilian made to Goal Brazil in which he talks about his difficult start at Newcastle:

“I think that for any striker, going a while without scoring is bad. It leaves us with great anxiety. But I think it’s the beginning of my journey in English football and I’m not used to being shaken by a bad moment.

“I seek strength to train, improve, and return to the games to score goals and help Newcastle win games. We always have to improve, seek evolution.

“It’s a league with great teams and excellent players and coaches, so the level is very high. I know that I’m prepared for this and I train every day to get better and be ready for the games I play.”

“I don’t usually get involved in rumors, negotiations. This is usually in the hands of the club and my agents so that I can stay focused on my work, on my goals.

“Newcastle were the club that believed in me, who opened the doors of the Premier League for me, and made a big investment in signing me.

“I don’t like to plan the future too much; I prefer to live in the present. Today, I say that I’m very happy here at the club and that I still want to give a lot of joy to the Newcastle fans, having a good Premier League season and, who knows, taking the club into Europe.”

We desperately hope that Joelinton can find his niche and some success at Newcastle. He seems like such a good lad, and he arrived during a very tumultuous period.

However, the future is starting to look much brighter on Tyneside with a potential monumental takeover in the works. It’ll be up to Joelinton to prove he has what it takes to remain at the club.

Hopefully, he can start that process when the league resumes in three weeks.

• the Northumbrian

May 29, 2020 at 1:17 PM

I’d give him another season.

• Swanny

May 29, 2020 at 1:17 PM

The lads not good enough, no centre forward that’s for sure, might make a decent centre back, strong and gets his head to the ball.

• WLtoon

May 29, 2020 at 1:18 PM

Ive just had my calories before i head off on the bike for a couple of hours.

Novocastrian from previous

Smoky bacon and pork sausage with BROWN sauce sarnies was my energy boost for the day BUT have you ever tried bacon toasties with red sauce ? very nice

• bettyswallocks

May 29, 2020 at 1:19 PM

This is true I kid ye not…….. I had dinner a good few years ago in a French restaurant in Canterbury . They were serving the usual French fayre of escargot , and cuisses de grenouille ( frogs legs) etc. When I came out there was a bit of a commotion with a small gang of people with banners demonstrating.

Can you believe they were from an amphibian rights group.

• fairscup

May 29, 2020 at 1:19 PM

Swanny – I agree.

• fairscup

May 29, 2020 at 1:21 PM

bettyswallocks – I’d believe anything in today’s snowflake society.

• WLtoon

May 29, 2020 at 1:21 PM

Novo

Sorry about the repost, did,nt realise you had replied on previous thread.

• hibbit

May 29, 2020 at 1:22 PM

if you have never tried vegan/veggie food i can recommend this place The Purple Carrot if your ever in Malton NY 5* excellent

• WLtoon

May 29, 2020 at 1:23 PM

Well thats me off to give the old legs a hammering. Im not expecting any announcement today, in fact im starting to get a bit edgy about the whole fiasco tbh.
    Have fun.

• Novocastrian66

May 29, 2020 at 1:28 PM

WLToon I’ve never been able to stomach red sauce, particularly the Heinz stuff. I have tried some artisan tomato ketchups which were nice but generally I give the stuff a wide berth.

• IrishRob

May 29, 2020 at 1:31 PM

Jip that was so fine detective skills there @12:53, lol

• IrishRob

May 29, 2020 at 1:31 PM

The purple carrot, that sounds like a brothel.

• Jib

May 29, 2020 at 1:32 PM

The police have identified 6 fixtures requiring neutral venues when PL restarts:
    Man City v Liverpool,
    Man City v Newcastle,
    Man Utd v Sheff Utd,
    Newcastle v Liverpool,
    Everton v Liverpool

plus any game there’s a chance LPool could win the title

• #cans

May 29, 2020 at 1:41 PM

I’ve seen nothing in Joe Linton that suggests he’ll ever be a regular goal scorer , he doesn’t offer enough as a number 10 and if this takeover ever actually happens we should be able to buy much better.
    He’s a trier but I don’t think he’s suited to EPL – better we cut our likely substantial losses on him and get what we can once the season ends.

• Novocastrian66

May 29, 2020 at 1:43 PM

I don’t see the logic behind those choices Jib. What were the reasons given?

• RobLeenio

May 29, 2020 at 1:46 PM

Jib, I’ve been scratching my head about these choices all morning.

I understand that some matches will draw more attention than others, what I don’t understand is how those selected are all in Northern England. Surely Southern footy fans are jst as likely to get over-excited about their teams?

It seems really off-kilter, unless it’s just that the Southern police forces haven’t yet got their acts together. Is it possible that only Northumbrian Police, Greater Manchester Police and Merseyside Police have given over their lists of matches of concern?

I’m hoping it’s that, rather than some kind of North/South bias as has been splashed all over Tw@tter.

• Kevin Vegan

May 29, 2020 at 1:53 PM

Bettyswallocks,

From the last thread, you mentioned being surprised at killing and butchering in the kitchen (or kitten…).

I should clarify that we do not kill and butcher most of our animal products in-house, but we are primarily a fish restauraunt in a coastal fishing town and things like lobster and crab come in live, and are killed on site. We also fillet our own fish, and much of our meat is sourced locally, so if my boss has an opportunity to buy, say, half a lamb carcass on the cheap, he will buy it and it will be bufchered by my head chef. We are not legally permitted to operate as an abattoir, but we still have to take on some tasks that involve killing or butchering.

Abattoir work in particular is likely to be extremely psychologically harmful to even non-vegan humans. If you have the stomach for it, this study gives some exceptionally interesting insight:

Warning though: it was a tough read for me, and I don’t think that was solely because I am vegan.

• Ron Knee

May 29, 2020 at 1:54 PM

Sam Coates Sky@SamCoatesSky

Downing Street Daily Briefing

Government was unable to reduce Coronavirus threat level below 4. Boris Johnson signalled on Wednesday it was likely to be reduced to 3, but the Joint Biosecurity Unit did not agree to this yesterday.

Lockdown lifting goes ahead nevertheless

• lochinvar

May 29, 2020 at 1:54 PM

For the games Jib mentions the Police might think that they have to close all routes to these neutral grounds just to thwart the hordes of travelling fans that will try to reach a particular ground in the style of doing a Cummings.

I hear that many Liverpool fans have eyesight problems so will be checking out if their driving is ok.

Suggest that the Liverpool games are played in Norwich which isn’t the most accesible of places and might just deter those thinking about a cross country trip.

Significantly many fans are not always home based and in the case of Man Ure most of their fans are not based in Manchester anyway so play any of their games in London and you’ll have a bigger problem to deal with.

The FA should rent grounds such as the mackems place which it’s in the middle of nowhere, capacity isn’t a problem as hardly anyone goes there anyway and the police can focus on providing security compounds for the players cars. Gone in thirty seconds otherwise.

• lochinvar

May 29, 2020 at 1:56 PM

Novo66
    The main reason is that the FA want to ensure that the scousers are as far away as possible from any ground where they might win the Premiership.

As if that’s going to stop them or at least some of them

• Kevin Vegan

May 29, 2020 at 2:02 PM

#cans

Any idea what hus wages are? There’s a good chance we’ll be overpaying him, and even if we do find a seller it’s likely the club will have to subsidise his wages if he moves on. We would also take a massive loss relative to what we paid for him. I would move Gayle on first as he should fetch a fair price, and hasn’t featured regularly for a long time. Keep AC for his experience of the league and his local ties. Sell Joelinton if we can get £15m+ for him, or keep for back-up if we can’t or if we’re going to be stuck paying a high proportion of his wages in the event of a sale. Aim to buy 2-3 new forwards, and if we keep Joelinton make sure he’s training all hours. He’s shown a decent attitude on the pitch, but he needs to work hard on his technique too. If he’s bot stuck in the starting line-up every week, we should be able to push his training levels without compromising his fitness for matches.

• JP...from The Rock

May 29, 2020 at 2:05 PM

I’d give Joelinton one more season. But not as a striker.

• Kevin Vegan

May 29, 2020 at 2:07 PM

RobLeenio

Southerner’s perspective on all this: the fans that still have the worst rep where I am are pretty much all London clubs. West Ham and Millwall fans in particular. Only Northern clubs I know of who’s fans have bad reps in the south are Leeds and (mostly due to my own personal dislike of them) the ‘orrid mackems 😉

• dog

May 29, 2020 at 2:08 PM

Ron #18,

I’m going along with the current theory that relaxing the lockdown rules was a sweetener and/or distraction for the Cummings debacle, which is very likely to cause many to disregard the travel and meeting restrictions anyway. BoJo knows it’s too early but it’s the inevitable political fallout from his lack of action.

• Kevin Vegan

May 29, 2020 at 2:09 PM

JP

Why not give the lad another season? I reckon he’d be great at polishing Håland’s boots when we sign him, and we don’t want to risk giving the job to AC in case he picks up an injury in the process.

• Kevin Vegan

May 29, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Oh my comment @21 should have said find a buyer, not find a seller. Absolute brain failure there!

• lochinvar

May 29, 2020 at 2:12 PM

Looks like the Premier League boss says fans may be ‘phased’ in to St James Park during next season
    Richard Masters has talked about the return of Premier League football fans to SJP and other top grounds.

As we know fans will not be allowed into games for the remainder of the 2019/20 season, as the authorities attempt to complete the league campaign. Who will pay out season ticket refunds – Ashley or Amanda ?

Next season in the Premier League is likely to start by the start of September at the very latest.

So it is all but impossible to see how fans can be allowed into stadiums when next season starts.
    Masters mentions that there is ‘optimism’ that fans will start being allowed back in sometime during next season.

The Premier League CEO saying that in line with earlier reports, this is very likely to be on a graduated basis. This means it would start with a small percentage of the fans allowed in at Newcastle and spaced apart before more are allowed in as the season progresses and hopefully the virus situation progresses in the right direction.
    Only fair way will be to allow 10 year plan fans and others no doubt the corporates in boxes priority.

• Hal

May 29, 2020 at 2:13 PM

I used to work next to an abattoir, only thing was the smell when we were downwind. Other than that never bothered me.

• Novocastrian66

May 29, 2020 at 2:16 PM

lochinvar; I get the Liverpool thing, Man City V Liverpool, Everton V Liverpool but Man Utd v Sheff Utd but Man City v us, Liverpool v us. I don’t get. Are the PL planning to present the trophy to Liverpool after our game? Crazy.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

May 29, 2020 at 2:20 PM

KV

you’d keep carroll on? We only get a squad of 5, why keep someone who will be injured most of the season, and why pay him a wage for the same reason.

Id keep Joe as maybe 3rd choice CF and cover for wide areas, try to get a dembele type and rondon so we have a big guy and quicker CF in the ranks. Think Joe could learn a lot from Rondon on how to play that lone CF role.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

May 29, 2020 at 2:21 PM

*25 obvs

• Kevin Vegan

May 29, 2020 at 2:26 PM

RobLeenio,

Did you work the killing floor? I’m guessing from the way you mention being “downwind” you were not involved in the actual slaughter yourself? That appears to be where the trauma stems from. I guess it may depend on the conditions in the slaughterhouse and your previous exposure, too. Anyone who has been exposed to similar things is likely already somewhat desensitised to slaughter. I am speculating at that point though, but I have seen a few other studies like the one I posted that have similar findings. It’s certainly not something I would ever feel comfortable with. It was hard enough watching pets be put down to end their suffering. I don’t think I could handle watching a perfectly healthy animal lose its life for the sake of a meal.

• Kevin Vegan

May 29, 2020 at 2:34 PM

Gothmogs PJs,

I’d keep him on for his ties to the club and city and his knowledge of the league. He won’t fetch us much of a price and he wouldn’t even have to be named in the 25-man squad for the league to share his wisdom and insight with incoming players. That being said, he was every bit as useful as any of our other options when he was fit. His off the ball movement and teamwork were among the best of any of our players, and he was still composed and alert, which is something the team sorely lacked in attack last year.

His wages aren’t astronomical (I think he’s on a primarily pay-per-play-based wage, with the bulk of his wages coming in appearance fees and bonuses) and he wouldn’t fetch a high price on the market. It’s a low-risk move, but I don’t see that any of our other options have been much better so unless we’re going to sell everyone, why not keep him? Everyone’s talking about how we need experienced players to help the younger ones come through. Big Andy would be perfect for this in my opinion, and we wouldn’t really have to spend any money getting him to the club.

• Kevin Vegan

May 29, 2020 at 2:37 PM

Oh sorry RobLeenio, just realised it was Hal that said that not you…

• Kevin Vegan

May 29, 2020 at 2:38 PM

Haven’t even been at the cans yet!

• hibbit

May 29, 2020 at 2:40 PM

Kevin Vegan so let me get this right your happy to quote this article, that report, these findings in support of your discussions with others of the morality of farming , killing, eating animals and using animal products,
    but when it comes to money your scruples and morality quickly go out of the window,

that all seems a bit two face to me, the way i see it your either in or out, you cant be telling people eating meat wrong yet be involved in a business that actively encourages it ,
    your coming across as two faced hypocrite !!!

• Kevin Vegan

May 29, 2020 at 2:43 PM

Oh and Gothmog’s Pyjamas, personally I really hope we move away from the lone CF tactic entirely. Our biggest issue all season was only leaving one striker up. It allows teams to flood our box without risking the counter. Even the smaller teams were throwing everyone up the field at us on occasions and it kept us pinned back game after game. I’d like us to play 2 up front, or even a front 3 with one central and the other 2 playing somewhere between an outright striker’s role and a wide forward role. Track back if the WBs keep pushing high up, but aim to stay high as often as possible to prevent us getting overloaded game after game and to give proper support to the central striker on the counter.

• lochinvar

May 29, 2020 at 2:46 PM

Novo
    Maybe the FA think Man City will catch Liverpool ?

• bettyswallocks

May 29, 2020 at 2:53 PM

“Now, Madam, can you describe the man who stole your handbag?”

“Oh, it all happened so fast! He pushed me over from behind, I didn’t see him at all. One thing though; he was a vegan.”

“How do you know that?”

“He fcuking told me as he was running off.”