web analytics

Former Magpie Hopes Prospective Owners Focus On Building A Sustainable NUFC

Mike Williamson spent 6 seasons at Newcastle and made 197 appearances for the club. He’s currently managing Gateshead in the National League North.

The center-back spoke to the Chronicle recently about the pending takeover of Newcastle United.

Like many fans, he’s noticed a trend in the lofty links of world-class stars since the agreement to sell Newcastle was reached in April.

However, the 36-year-old hopes the new ownership group takes a sensible approach to build Newcastle into a powerhouse. Rather than trophy signings, he wants to see money invested into the infrastructure to ensure a solid foundation for the club to build on.

This is some of Mike’s thoughts on Newcastle under the prospective new owners:

“There’s going to be a list as long as your arm of things to do to get the club to where everyone wants it to be.

“For me, it’s investing in the infrastructure, the academy, getting a new training ground, and really rewarding people who have been working relentlessly behind the scenes without much credit.

“I’ve worked with a lot of fantastic people who have everyday given their heart and soul for not much reward financially or in the press. For me, I would definitely want to take care of that side of things and build from there.

“The worst thing you can do is go out and sign all these superstars just to get the fans on your side, and not put the foundations in place first.

“I would love to go to St James’ Park and watch some of these superstars being linked. But for me, you need to put the foundations in and build it from there, so it’s a sustainable and successful club.”

Williamson knows all about Newcastle after his time on Tyneside. We wholeheartedly agree that a lot of the focus should be on the facilities to get this club up to snuff.

There is a solid core with the playing squad that can be built upon each transfer window. Bringing in the right players who fit into a team ethic rather than big names is the sensible path to take.

• Northumbrian

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:12 PM

Exactly what I said earlier

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:13 PM

Mike Williamson was a decent player for us. Reliable and solid, very underrated.

• Novocastrian66

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:13 PM

Spot on Iron Mike. Oh and Northumbrian.

• giimps

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:16 PM

Magic Mike, i liked him as a player, he reminds me of Clarke in his versatility , glad to see he stayed up here with the heed

• giimps

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:19 PM

Does anyone know if the takeover is happening soon, and is anyone feeling positive about it?

• Just a fan

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:20 PM

I’m afraid was never a fan of iron Mike.
    Made titus look world class in comparison.
    At least he was cheap.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:21 PM

Giimps

Williamson’s versatility???

What versatility was that then?

• giimps

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:23 PM

He could play anywhere at cb , could run the speed of a cb and was as good with his head as he was with his feet….thats versatile

• Dagwoodz

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:23 PM

giimps @5

I’m feeling positive about it. It’s just a waiting game at this point. With everything that is going on in the world right now, there’s no reason to expect anyone to be held to previous timeliness expectations. It could happen tomorrow it could happen a month or two from now. Who knows.

• giimps

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:24 PM

And he looked taller in the black and white stripes

• Bigjim67

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:25 PM

giimps

Not as positive as i was a few weeks ago.
    Taking far too long now.

• RobLeenio

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:25 PM

lesh “all we need is to hear that this nasty virus can be eradicated and Ashley has, to put it politely, cleared his desk at SJP.”

Are they one and the same?

😉

• giimps

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:27 PM

Dagwoodz,
    I agree, pandemic, lockdown and multiple companies with multiple directors to be checked out at the same time as getting the premier league going again, of course it was going to take longer……i just wish it is going to be soon

• RobLeenio

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:34 PM

Mike Williamson was a limited player but a good servant of the club. As such, he gets my respect but not my adulation.

I’m pleased to see him making a career out of coaching – it could be that he can bring the very best out of Gateshead which can only be a good thing for North East football in general.

• Tyran21

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:36 PM

So far, the only solid info is documents have been submitted, fit and proper test result pending. Rest are journalist’s bullshit. Tons of players linked, then apparently future owners have not contact any of the potential managers? If the take over fails and we are stuck with Ashley. Its gonna look like a biggest troll by the journalist.

• IrishRob

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:43 PM

Jim @ 3:12

I see you’re a Lethal Weapon fan to. 🙂

• giimps

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:44 PM

Tyran21,
    If that is the case, we need to boycott the hacks and media in general, i understand the “freedom of speech and “journalist” license but lets be realistic , they need to be held to account for the bullsh!!t they print, quoting a”unnamed source” they can say whatever they want to try and get clicks , surely if they are being paid for clicks , this is receiving money by deception/fraud……they do my head in …..liars , rogues and cads, i cant understand why they arent in politics woth the rest of the thieves and liars……..rant over

• Novocastrian66

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:48 PM

The biggest disgrace about the situation of all the North East clubs is the resultant lack of opportunities for our young football talent. This is constantly being overlooked by the national media. Newcastle’s academy is a disgrace. Sunderland’s was doing okay but the investment in that will be severely reduced due to their financial difficulties. Middlesborough’s well is running dry.
    Hartlepool’s and Darlington’s will be none existent. South Shields are probably leading the way.
    Shocking.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:54 PM

Giimps,

Cracking rant. Fully agree. The way to approach these things is look at their sources. If they aren’t supporting their claims with proper sources as evidence, treat it as probably nonsense and move on.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:55 PM

Anyone got any thoughts on who Saul’s joining tomorrow?

Current theories seem to be:

Manure
    Atletico’s e-sports team
    The TOON

Any other ideas?

• Darnik

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:58 PM

I’d say that 100% of the articles are without sources due to nda’s being in place, so they should be treat with the contempt they deserve

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:59 PM

Darnik

If there are nda’s in place and they are being upheld, where are the journos getting their info?

• Darnik

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:01 PM

IMHO pure speculation and clickbait

• Darnik

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:03 PM

All we know for sure is the movement in companies House linking sjh and pcp, then I believe I read somewhere that there was a document linking the Reubens and pcp

• GhostToon

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:05 PM

KV

I reckon manure will get him unfortunately.

They are also in for Havertz and Sancho apparently.

• Munster Mag

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:07 PM

Jeez with me and Tsunki at peace it’ll be like a vegan hippy commune here soon

( Sorry Kev)

• Darnik

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:10 PM

Slightly optimistic munster (the at peace part) but only time will tell 😉

• Nufc 4ever

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:12 PM

I am very optimistic nothing to back this up.
    I do not take any notice to any itk or journalists. Boring I know but until a simple yes or no are announced I will remain confident

• Darnik

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:17 PM

As will I, mainly due to the fact that with the previous takeover attempts, or whatever they were, we were told the time to get excited about movement in companies House was when it involved sjh, which this one has

• RobLeenio

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:20 PM

Great but upsetting words on Twitter from our very own DeAndre Yedlin about the situation in his homeland. I’ll not post them here as it’s a highly charged political situation, but I’m proud of the lad.

His posts are reproduced in full on the BBC sport website for those who want to read them.

• Darnik

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:25 PM

2 Magpies just landed on my roof, it’s happening lads hahaha

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:27 PM

GhostToon

Seems the most likely at this point. What a trio that would be for them. I really hope they don’t get all 3.

• geordietom

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:35 PM

jib …

sure is a pity that craps in the back ground , does anyone think when the takeover goes thru Fat Mike might have his tat shop signs still up at the ground not all off them though maybe a few just a thought …

• geordietom

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:36 PM

off – of *

• Nufc 4ever

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:36 PM

My opinion on money back for season ticket money. Keep mine as I pay monthly what I dont see it take it what I owe for next season. As Geordietom says if you get it refunded the better half will spend it decision made

• Mund

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:40 PM

Been out working just got back in having a smoke out the back and starting to catch up with the blog…..that immediately stopped and skipped the lot why??

Kevin you and tony baloney have a lot in common whether you are or not you are one in the same.

geordietom brainwashing posters heard it all now

• dog

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:42 PM

I have changed my opinion on the drivers for the takeover announcement. I now believe that there must be a clause in the contract that completion would be dependent on EPL status being guaranteed for next season. From a buyer’s perspective that makes sense.

Our last match, away to Southampton, was played on 7th March after which we were 13th in the table with 35 points. With nine games left to play and only 5 points needed for virtual safety, confidence was high that we would avoid relegation.

The remaining matches were to have been:

14/03 Sheffield Utd (H)
    04/04 Bournemouth (A)
    10/04 West Ham (H)
    18/04 Man City (A)
    25/04 Watford (A)
    02/05 Spurs (H)
    09/05 Brighton (A)
    tbc Aston Villa (H)
    17/05 Liverpool (H)

Now, I’m sure most of the people who matter would have suspected that there was a good chance that we would get our 5 points by 10/04 from Sheffield, Bournemouth and West Ham. If not, then surely we would have enough from Brighton and Villa before the end of the season.

I’m fairly sure that the Premier League were in possession of the relevant paperwork from both sides to conduct the owners’ and directors’ test on 14/04 and the expectation was that this process would take about two to four weeks, i.e. at worst to the middle of May. That would have coincided with the end of the season at which point we would know for definite whether or not we would be a PL club next season.

• dog

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:43 PM

The reorganised fixture dates are, I believe, as follows:

20/06 Sheffield Utd (H)
    27/06 Aston Villa (H)
    30/06 Bournemouth (A)
    04/07 West Ham (H)
    07/07 Man City (A)
    11/07 Watford (A)
    14/07 Spurs (H)
    18/07 Brighton (A)
    25/07 Liverpool (H)

On the assumption that the takeover announcement will be made as soon as we are mathematically safe then that date will most likely be one of the following:

01/07 after the Bournemouth game or
    05/07 after the West Ham game or maybe as late as
    19/07 after the Brighton game.

If I’m right that the delay is all down to the Covid-19 induced delays (rather than PL fastidiousness) then we may have to wait another four to six weeks for the announcement.

It’s just conjecture but it seems plausible to me. So we need to keep those #CANS chilled and be patient. Sorry for the long (split) post.

• Mund

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:44 PM

Matty Longstaff apparently moving to Serie A after contacts talks broke down. Udinese are supposed to be front runners