web analytics

On Loan Magpie Extends Stay Until NUFC Completes Season

The Chronicle is reporting that Newcastle United and Inter Milan have agreed to extend Valentino Lazaro’s loan spell past the original June 30th date.

The 24-year-old will now remain with Newcastle until either the end of the league campaign or after the FA Cup final, should we be so fortunate to reach it.

While this extension was to be expected, it’s still great news that it has been sorted. Newcastle will now have the luxury of evaluating Lazaro’s performances before making a decision on triggering his purchase option.

This has been a season of change for the Austrian. He secured a dream move to Inter Milan this past summer from Hertha Berlin.

However, he found his opportunities limited, making just 11 appearances under Antonio Conte. With him desperate for first-team football due to the pending European Championships, Valentino moved to Newcastle in January.

While he got the game time he was seeking, it was in a more defensive role instead of on the wing, which he preferred. When Steve Bruce changed the system to have four at the back, Lazaro was a prime candidate to play further forward.

Just when it looked like he’d get a run on the wing, the season was halted by the coronavirus pandemic. This also caused the European Championships to be postponed until next summer.

But it looks very likely that this season will get completed after all. We are excited to see more of Valentino in a Newcastle shirt.

• Optimistic prime

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:24 PM

Don’t worry about thousands of idiots turning up ar SJP when the announcement happens, I’ve been there every day since lockdown started, nothing’s happened so far 🙂

Adds a mile onto my rout home, cycle round a cpl times and head home.

More chance I’ll see something happening there than hear something relevant from the press.

• WLtoon

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:26 PM

Who has decided to keep Lazaro til seasons end, i take it its Nixon.

Lazaro is decent going forward but but as a full back the jury is out for me, i hav,nt seen enough of him to judge.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:30 PM

blaa blaa blaa….not sold..The End?

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:30 PM

Jib,

Team moving the ball nicely there and a couple of tidy finishes from Joe. I heard a lot of shouts of “offside” on the first one (sounded like Bruce leading the shouts to me) but couldn’t make out if he was off from the video. He certainly tucked it away nicely though. Second one was a neat little finish, not much to do from there but he placed it well. Good decision making, and a lot of players would rush there and panic but he looked calm and composed. Not quite as easy to do come game time, but promising signs.

It’s got to be good for his confidence knocking a few nice goals home in training. Let’s hope he can keep his head on the pitch now and reproduce this quality once we get going again.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:31 PM

They should use vr

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:33 PM

use var king var

• gazzac69nufc

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:37 PM

7 of 9 in Picard, she can assimilate me any time

• GhostToon

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:39 PM

WLtoon

My optimism for the takeover changes by the hour lol.

I have zero patience which doesnt help.

• WLtoon

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:41 PM

Ghost Toon

Yeah i know what you mean m8, its so frustrating waiting, just hope it will be announced soon so we can relax lol

• giimps

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:43 PM

Will it happen before the season starts back up again, will they wait till then before doing the OD tests, is it the prem or the Saudis holding things up………all these questions and more will be answered in the next thrilling installment of ” Coal tar SOAP”

• DaveD1000

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:44 PM

May be less pressure and hopefully a corner turned for Big Joe if he starts banging em in behind closed doors. Laz was duff at the back but I liked what I was seeing when he played as a winger.

• GhostToon

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:45 PM

giimps

Sounds about right lol.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:49 PM

The Orville is a surprisingly good series that was getting quite gritty towards the end, suspect it may have been canned though!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:51 PM

Was that Tom Allan delivering the centre for the second goal?

• GhostToon

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:54 PM

I’m not Joelintons biggest fan as you probably know.

However if we didnt just play hoof ball and rely on him to get past 3-4 defenders I’m sure he would play much better.

We sit way to deep rather than pressing high up the pitch which is why under a manager like Poch (if we ever get taken over that is) he may surprise a few people with different formation, tactics and better players around him.

• WLtoon

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:54 PM

So, the new would be owners have to pay Ashley 111 M when the deal goes through. Interest free loan the club owes him.
    The greedy twat has done pretty well by Nufc has,nt he.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:56 PM

I reckon that Lazaro will shine in a good footballing side, something we can look forward to in the not to distant future!

• GhostToon

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:56 PM

Or am I being too generous today lol.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:56 PM

DaveD,

Agreed on Lazaro. I originally assumed had signed him as a wing back after Krafth had been an utter disaster, but he definitely looks more useful playing higher up, and we’re short on numbers there. He’s not quite at ASM or Almiron’s level yet from what I’ve seen, but has a different style to both, so comparing like-for-like isn’t always useful. He would definitely give us different options in attack, but I’d still like to see a little more from him before I was sure he was the right man for the job.

• WLtoon

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:59 PM

Judging by what was said on here, i think quite a few posters were prepared to give Joe another season under new owners.
    The lad does have talent but is,nt a natural goalscorer, he did,nt play in the CF role at Hoffenheim.
    With better players around him, and much better coaching, i think he could be half decent, but not as a CF.
    Its like Supermac said, he does,nt have enough hunger for a goal.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:02 PM

EGB

It looked like Allan to me. Right sort of stature, hard to say without a close-up though. Whoever it is, it’s a lovely first touch under heavy pressure.

• GhostToon

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:04 PM

Lazaro would be good in a 4231 formation

ASM LM
    Almiron CAM (his best position)
    Lazaro RM

With Hayden and S. Longstaff in front of the back 4.

Not sure who to have upfront cos they are all pretty crap.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:06 PM

Dunno what the tempo of those games is played at but Joelinton was not half winded after his 1st goal.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:08 PM

GhostToon

A fit AC would be a perfect fit!

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:11 PM

WLtoon,

I agree. I have to say I’m very surprised that more people seem to want to give Joelinton a chance than Matty.

Joelinton turns 24 in August. He’s more than 3 years older than Matty and has played 4 full seasons of top-flight football without ever really impressing anywhere. He is on £80k per week. Matty has only made 12 first-team appearances in his whole career and scored more league goals that Joelinton this season, but it appears the majority would rather give Joe another chance on £80k a week than see Matty bumped up to even 1/4 of that wage. I have to say, it makes no sense to me. But it looks like Joelinton is much more likely to be with us come the start of next season, so I hope he proves me wrong!

• WLtoon

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:11 PM

Its a good point about Carroll EGB. i think people are forgetting that he is fully fit apparently . A fit AC is our best option up front.

• WLtoon

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:19 PM

KV

Im not so sure people want Matty out of the club before Joe, i think it was the fact he was stalling on, what i, and many other posters thought was a very reasonable contract offer by the club, that is, of course the rumours are true.
    I personally dont want Matty to leave, we need to see how he progresses, then after another season or two, if he has,nt made the grade , then fine, sell.

• Bladey

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:23 PM

Mike Ashley is the owner now and will be into the distant future
    You still don’t get it the mounting evidence is unequivocal
    The premier league will have no option but to reject the Saudi’s offer
    After analysing everything they will not allow the regime to take control I expect they will announce the decision late June
    So forget bale carvani and all the others the team now will be the team that starts next season bar a couple of loans and good riddence to those useless brothers the Longstaffs they were so overrated even by your delusional standards
    Ta ta for now old chaps
    ASH IN CARVER AND WISE IN BRUCE OUT TAKEOVER ALL BUT DEAD IN THE WATER

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:26 PM

GhostToon

The 3 players that looked the nost natural goalscorers this season were Shelvey, M. longstaff, and to a lesser extent, Almiron towards the end. Since none of the rest are scoring, why not give one of these 3 a chance up top?

Shelvey’s ability to read the game means we could deploy him in a role similar to Firmino and I think he’d get us some goals. Almiron’s got great pace and would be a real threat if he could be taught how to break the line more effectively. Matty would be the less obvious choice, but he has an eye for goal and he moves well off the ball. I know most prem sides generally favour a big, physical CF and these 3 don’t match that description per se, but there’s more than one way to peel a potato and at least they have shown they can find the net.

If we were guaranteed safety with a few games to go, I’d be tempted to try it. Not worth the risk until we are safe though.

• MagpieRanger

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:26 PM

Button it Bladey you SMB

• MagpieRanger

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:27 PM

We saw you crying on Netflix

• JohnReese

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:28 PM

I think we could see a big improvement in Joelintons numbers if we actually put decent crosses into the box. I can probably count on one hand the amount of good deliveries we’ve put into the area from open play this season.

I’d have hated to be in his boots this season when you’re lucky if you get one half chance a game. I’m absolutely not going to write him off because I watched enough of him at Hoffenheim to have liked what I saw. My big worry is we sell him in the summer then watch on as he fits into a more cohesive team.

I’d be interested to know peoples opinion on how many of our squad have actually come out of this season having improved their reputation?

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:31 PM

WLtoon,

I hear you. Sensible analysis in my opinion. I’m certainly not ready to write Matty off just yet, but I don’t think he’s guaranteed to develop enough. Give him another year or two. He won’t turn 21 until March 2022, bit too young for us to write him off already after just a dozen first team appearances, but does need to keep working to get to the required standard of a first-team regular.

• giimps

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM

Afternoon Bladey, they let you out of bad lads school early today?
    As for the Matty contract, it may not just be the wages, it could be bonuses, length of contract, guaranteed wage increase or anything…..why the hell would we believe anything printed in the press ,they know very little and the rest they make up as a possible scenario…….i wouldnt trust any “journalist” if they told me anything that could not be corroborated independently….and since nothing of any substance is coming from the club (and certainly not the details of any contracts offered) other than what they may want to put out thee to apply pressure to make him sign…….in the immortal words of scully ” trust no-one” but “the truth is out there”

• Pat On The Heed

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM

Even if he didn’t improve, Sean Longstaff is already the best all-round midfielder at the club. Plus the potential for development is greater than with any other player I can remember. This season he struggled to get the ball out from under his feet at times – but that’s a mix of conditioning and confidence. His innate football intelligence – vision, passing range, spatial awareness, long range shooting is up there with Carrick or Barry now and he’s only had one full season. If the average supporter doesn’t see it every minute of every game with their own eyes, they give up. It’s mind boggling.

Matty has yet to nail down his position – this could take another season here or on loan – but he has the same brain and desire to create big moments I rate higher than any other quality. Forget local – if we’re prepared to shrug our shoulders at these kinds of prospects leaving after 5 minutes I wonder what we’re in it for.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM

Team for first game back

Dubs
    Manquillo-Lascelles-Fede-Rose
    Shelvey-Hayden
    Lazaro-Miggy-ASM
    Joe

manquillo depending on where his head is at, Yedlin otherwise
    rose depending where his waistline is, ritchie otherwise
    AC to get final 30mins to see where his body is at.

• giimps

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:33 PM

May have been Mulder with the quotes initially, but the context is the same