web analytics

Former Newcastle Striker Sees Record Signing As A Modern Day Forward

Joelinton has come out of his shell a bit since Project Restart has kicked off. The Brazilian didn’t do much talking before this season was suspended. But he’s come out and done a couple of interviews with an outlet in his native Brazil as well as locally.

During both of those interviews, Joelinton expressed his determination to make it at Newcastle after the tepid start to his career on Tyneside. He spoke about how hard he is working every day to improve his game and, hopefully, start scoring some goals.

Sport Witness have published comments from another interview that Joelinton has given. This time he spoke to Jornal do Commercio, which is another Brazilian outlet.

In his latest interview, the 23-year-old touches on how his stint in Germany has helped him both personally and professionally. He also goes on to talk about the start to his Newcastle career.

Here is some of what he had to say:

“The time I spent in Germany was very good for me because I learned a lot from them. The way to work, to live, and today I feel better in all ways, both on and off the pitch, as a human being, father and athlete.

“I’m at a good club, disputing the best league in the world, where the best teams, players, coaches are.

“But it all comes together with pressure to have been the most expensive signing of the club, I know my goals and challenges and I always try to do my best, because that’s how I got here and I will continue with this mentality because only then will things go right.”

We are interested to see how Joelinton does in the remaining games of this season. We’re hoping that the few months away will have given him a chance to reset and refind his passion for football.

He didn’t look like a player who was enjoying his football for much of this season. A lot of that had to do with the tactics deployed by Steve Bruce, where Joelinton was far too isolated.

Though he also struggled with playing as a number nine, a role he didn’t feature in too often at Hoffenheim.

The Chronicle has some comments from former Newcastle striker Les Ferdinand, who knew about Joelinton when he played in the Bundesliga.

Ferdinand, currently the director of football at QPR, spoke about Joelinton’s different roles in Germany compared to the lone striker one he’s primarily played in at Newcastle.

This is what Les had to say:

“I kind of knew Joelinton before he went to Newcastle. Part of my job is to look at players around the world and although we couldn’t afford him, certain players come to light and I had done some stuff with Hoffenheim and I knew their director of football [Alexander Rosen] quite well and had spoken to him.

“I had seen Joelinton play on a few occasions. I don’t see him as a traditional No 9. When I’ve seen him play his best football, he’s what I call a modern day center-forward who can play left, right, and through the center.

“He actually prefers playing left and right than he does through the center but when you’ve got someone of his ilk, stature, and size, everyone expects him to be that No 9 in a traditional sense of what a No 9 used to be like at Newcastle United so I don’t know if that will change for him in him learning that position but to be a No 9 in the way that they want him to be a No 9, he needs to learn that position. I’m not quite sure that’s how he wants to play.”

When Steve Bruce moved to a back four and added another attacker in the draw against Burnley, Joelinton played on the left. He reverted back to striker in the FA Cup win at West Brom and played very well.

Then against Southampton, our last game before the season was suspended, the Brazilian came on as a 60th-minute substitute for Matt Ritchie on the right-wing. So Bruce was moving Joelinton around trying to find that magical spot where he could get the best out of our record signing.

We’ll find out in less than two weeks where Bruce will play Joe when we take on Sheffield United at St James Park. Hopefully, we’ll see a rejuvenated player on the way to making his Newcastle career a success.

• count

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:07 AM

Jesus. Looks to me like bills son is saying nda is between buyer and seller, not involving premier league. Then people are coming back with “stop talking rubbish nda is between buyer and seller”.

Maybe take the time to digest the actual words he’s saying before making yourselves look a bit silly.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:12 AM

Repost, bus moved…

#cans

Neither the consortium nor NUFC have made any direct comments on the deal. As long as they don’t tracing and taking legal action by either party is almost impossible.

However, the Chron were consistently right in the BZG fiasco by saying a deal hadn’t been agreed or submitted to the the PL even when BZG were publicly stating the opposite.

Calukin has been consistently right in saying weeks ago that PL approval wasn’t close and, now, that it is still ongoing.

Some may believe that both cases are inspired guesswork – I don’t.

I believe the Chron got their info from NUFC to refute BZG’s claims and clue up supporters (info that was widely ignored) and Caulkin has the ear of the consortium (probably Staevely) to keep supporters positive that the takeover is still on subject to approval.

The BBC have seen Masters letter to Kashoggi’s partner – who released that?

NDA’s have an important place but they will never be watertight in stopping whispers that become public and are untraceable.

That is my point.

• Mattroge

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:12 AM

George Caulkin is reporting that Newcastle have “dangled the prospect of longer contract extensions to Andy Carroll & Javier Manquillo (as well as Matty Longstaff)”

Will that have come with the prospective buyers consent?

I’m completely baffled as to how there can be supposed movement on contract issues but absolutely nothing in the way of refunds for games this season.

Anybody able to clue me in?

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:18 AM

count,

Dead right.

An NDA between the consortium and NUFC can’t control or stop leaks from the PL.

The PL have to respond to those making objections to the takeover and who knows who those objectors pass on info to about the PL’s concerns. No NDA covers that.

I just don’t believe it is realistic to imagine that no journo has been party to some info about the DD process – and to make sure they keep getting info the last thing they will do is divulge the source.

• Bianconeri

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:22 AM

To help Joe from Linton I would take the number 9 shirt off him.Lessen the burden.
    It weighs too heavy on him.We expect our number 9’s to be great goal scorer’s.

Why has Muto not been given a fair chance,he looked good in Germany.
    Is it because Raffa,didn’t know he was a striker ?
    Whoever sanctioned him and Joe,may have to join me @ specsavers

• Mattroge

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:27 AM

Bill’s @ 2, absolutely correct in regards to BZG. There were a few skeptics on here a few day’s ago about the current takeover. I understand people are doubting due to the length of time taken. However this is completely different to the BZG story.

Last year the only reporter I can recall who said the BZG deal was with the Premier League was Justin Allen from The S*n. Pretty much every what I’d call “decent” outlet were saying it wasn’t.

This time you have Sky Sports saying it’s with the PL, Caulkin says it’s with the PL. Letters from the PL chief are being leaked to the media. This wouldn’t be happening if there was nothing in it.

• MagpieRanger

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:35 AM

If Amanda Staveley wins her court case against Barclays I can see the PL waving our deal through very quickly, she would wipe the floor with them.

• Jib

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:35 AM

Interesting that Sir Les Ferdinand is saying this morning
    that he watched Joelinton and was impressed by him at
    Hoffenheim and spoke about him with their director of football
    Alexander Rosen.
    Sir Les says the jury is out on whether he will convert to a classic
    English lone up-front bish bosh number 9
    However when he watched him in the Bundesliga as a wide striker
    in a front 2 or 3 he looked quality

• martoon

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:38 AM

Bills & #cans – I was watching the video that someone posted earlier and RedRoseMichelle made that very point that the NDA will be between the two parties and NOT the Premier League. While you would expect them to be discrete they are not bound by the NDA and can release letters etc. such as the reply to Kashoggi’s fiance.

• HpoolMag

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:59 AM

Traditional or modern centre forward whichever you you put it you need one that scores goals when he gets chances

• toon22

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:14 AM

Bills
    All of those other NDAs didn’t help sell us did it ?
    Or did the other 13 sales not have them

Just another typical week of being strung along

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:15 AM

toon22

13 sales?

Load of bollix.

• The Prince's Mate

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:16 AM

Magpie Ranger@7

Only guessing but i can imagine that court case going on for weeks if not months

• toon22

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:17 AM

JIB

Joe might have looked quality but he’s never been a prolific goal scorer in his life
    We expected a guy costing 40 million , playing as no9 , to get the odd goal every now and again

• toon22

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:18 AM

Bills
    Ok how many other sales do you think there’s been ?

Just wondering as you seem to want to cling to what ever bollix fits

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:24 AM

The Pointer sisters were great

• Jib

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:28 AM

toon22

Just wondering as you seem to want to cling to what ever bollix fits

What does that even mean ?

• magpie6699

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:28 AM

I’m not sure I understand the concern about Staveley’s case against Barclays being a delaying factor. Firstly, how do we know that there is anything substantial that she needs to do now after all the previous work and while this is awaiting PL approval? Secondly, I’m sure that if it needs the odd phone-call or whatever, she would be able to find a few minutes to do that or sanction others to do it. Maybe it’s just blokes on here who are like me and can’t multitask i.e. walk and chew gum at the same time?

• #cans

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:28 AM

Didn’t the chronicle also point out that another bidder was waiting in the wings during the bzg rubbish – to be honest , I barely believe a word the chronicle prints – terrible clickbait paper and website

• magpie6699

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:29 AM

PS It would have been a great day to announce a takeover – Blaydon Races day!

• Jib

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:32 AM

She will have to make an appearance in court at some time as part of the Barclays
    defence is to question her business acumen but for the rest of the time her legal
    team will be earning their corn.

• MagpieRanger

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:36 AM

Mike Ashley = Scum

• Mattroge

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:38 AM

Henry Winter says there is another interested party based in America that has the money but he was keen to stress it wasn’t Mauris as he didn’t know anything about him. Make of that what you will.

• lesh

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:38 AM

Jib

You seem to have the inside track about the PCP-Barclays hearing. Please keep us updated.

• Novocastrian66

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:39 AM

The letter replying to Ms Cengiz’s request for a meeting was released to the media by her brief.

• Munster Mag

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:41 AM

How many real buyers were there? With proper funds, and a proper way of doing business? Very few if any. Sadly we have the funds this time, and the intent, but a piracy issue strangling us a bit.

• geordietom