web analytics

Joelinton’s Best Role, Contract Talks For Trio, And Forwards Bag Three – Today’s News Roundup

Les Ferdinand talks about Joelinton’s best role, Newcastle try to extend trio who are soon to be out of contract, and attackers get the goals in a friendly win.

Here is the roundup of today’s articles and news from The Newcastle United Blog.

• Newcastle are putting plans in place for next season as takeover lingers on.
  • The Premier League is still likely to approve the takeover despite the morality issues.

• Clear TV’s Henry Mauriss is waiting in the wings should the Saudis get blocked by the Premier League.
  • Dan Barlaser gets backing from a former teammate to make it at his hometown club.
  • Newcastle defeat Middlesbrough 3-2 in the first friendly since returning to training.

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:14 PM

Be nice to see Barlaser given a chance, but only if he is actually able to cut it, not for penny pinching/disorganisation/sentimentality (depending on what happens in the future) reasons.

• barkel

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:26 PM

WLtoon – thanks for the link but nothing really new in there .. it’s still all a bit of he said she said

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:31 PM

Lilongwe,

Do you think he’ll be able to make the step up? It’s a big jump from League 1 to prem and I’d like to see how Barlaser handles a tougher league before I hang any hopes on him.

• Mund

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:36 PM

Can’t even think who’s worth a chance what player to keep or to buy until these takeover is announced. So many dimensions change either way it’s not worth thinking about.

• Mund

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:40 PM

More negativity being sprouted about I see. Don’t you get that feeling now that you just want a answer either way for peace or mind and mental state? Because for me it’s battering my head to bits.

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:44 PM

KV,
    Honestly, based on what little I have seen and a few things I have read/heard, probably not. I think he will need to do what the likes of Roberts and Maddison (Marcus) have done and drop the leagues to come back up.

Would love to be proved wrong, but you would like to think at his age he would have been a sought after Championship loanee for this season, not league 1.

Could be way off, as I have seen very very little of him actually playing, so not really in a place to judge.

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:46 PM

Another “takeover in serious doubt “ article from the negative Mirror! Fcuk off!! It’s positive stories from the press then negative ones like this the next hour. It’s ridiculous and I am so sick of it all.

Get your finger out FA and give us an answer already!!

• IrishRob

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:48 PM

Ye might all want to watch this tonight.

Its about how the Saudis are trying to change their ways, it may be very helpful to us, it’s a pity it wasn’t on at primetime.

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:49 PM

Mund,
    Fair enough. I would expect the Staveley consortium to be making tentative moves and making contact with prospective signings and staff based on the guidance of someone who is already connected in the game and part of the future management.

If it is going to still be Ashley, I would expect Nickson to have a list of potential acquisitions and Bruce to be involved in retention of players, on the basis things don’t work out.

But, yeah, nothing concrete, except maybe the odd contract extension for shorter term, or lesser value contracts until things get decided.

I think Ritchie and Shelvey were the exceptions.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:49 PM

Lilongwe,

I’m exactly the same to be honest. Would be great to see him succeed but I have my reservations. A friend of mine is a Rotherham fan and mentioned him a few times to me as being one of the best they’ve had there in a while, but I can’t say I can think of many other great talents they’ve had in recent years. I think Matty looks a lot more promising though, and I’d be pretty disappointed if Barlaser was occupying his spot in the squad come the start of next season.

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:52 PM

KV,
    Matty should have been on loan this season, and likely should be next. However, Barlaser wouldn’t take his squad place, as Matty didn’t need to be named in the squad this year, and won’t next year either. He still fits the u21 category.

• jimiley

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:55 PM

Nowt to worry about.
    There are no red flags.
    The delay is due to the virus.
    Human rights and piracy and chopping up the journalist is all fake news.
    When the virus is sorted they will get round to rubber stamping the deal.
    Decision in August

• geordietom

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:56 PM

i’m positive and i’m staying positive about the takeover happening at our club …

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:56 PM

Matty needs games to progress. His limited playing time hasn’t helped him this year. Used as he has been, loaned out would have been better.

A full season at a lower level for Matty, and Colback or Saivet named in the 25 as back up would have been more beneficial moving forwards than Matty named and getting limited time, while paying wages to players not named.

• geordietom

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:58 PM

Mund …

that FBI agent with the Gold Suit , how did he get into the FBI ? …

what a laugh chasing that lad along the beach had me in stitches …

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:07 PM

Chelsea seem to be the team really prepping and planning for next. Ziyech, Werner, and now rumours of them moving ahead of others for Havertz and Sancho.

How Loftus Cheek has recovered from injury will be worth watching, if he has fully recovered to his best level, then he is worth a bid, and likely to be open to a move with the Euros delayed.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:09 PM

Lilongwe,

Agreed again. Matty’s right at that point where he needs regular first-team games at an appropriate level if he’s going to fulfill his potential (maybe even a year or two beyond that point). While Saivet or Colback are probably at a similar level, neither are likely to push on. Might as well keep them for back-up and try to get Matty some games out on loan. We’d have been no weaker for it, and it would have given the lad a chance to get some experience under his belt.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:09 PM

Loftus Cheek is proba bly viable regardless of takeover. He offers something we haven’t got in midfield. On the assumption he makes a full recovery.

• WLtoon

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:09 PM

Irishrob

Ile be watching that tonight, i did mention it on a previous thread but i don,t think anyone took any notice lol. best to put a link up like you have,

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:10 PM

KV,
    And if the loan went wrong, like Sorensons, he could have come back and still played as he doesn’t need to be named.

• WLtoon

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:12 PM

Kev V

Thats for the info re Devon&Cornwall. Totnes looks right up my street tbh. The other village looks a bit barren mind, i doubt our lass would like it there, no Bingo you see lol

• beermonkey

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:13 PM

lilongwe

i think loftus cheek played for chelsea in the last couple of days i dont know how he did

take over or not like u say if he recovers i would have him

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:16 PM

Speaking of Sorenson, he is another with a big question mark on where his future lies. Still under contract, but he has flopped twice on loan.

It isn’t about scoring the goals on loan, but he does need to get game time and win his place through hard work and bringing more to the team when on loan.

If he struggles with moving – which he did when first joining us – then are Sunderland worth approaching for a loan deal? Or do we throw him in here based on him being comfortable in this environment and the coaching staff believing he has the ability?

• WLtoon

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:17 PM

Its been extremely quiet on here tonight, posters seem to be a bit flat. I hope we get positive news soon.

• toon22

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:18 PM

At some point someone has to make some comment surely ?
    One way or another
    As it stands the longer it takes the more it looks like the usual fakeover

Used to dig the turd out of the hole he dug himself and to justify robbing the fans

How long will people give it before they can see its the usual bollix ?
    Myself i think until the next game we play
    Although right now its smelling pretty rotten isnt it

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:19 PM

Beer,
    He was meant to be back fit wnd of Feb I think. If the Havertz ruours are correct and come to fruition, with the options they already have, he will be open to a move.

Loftus-Cheek and Watkins – 2 I think are realistic regardless of a takeover, and would add to our first team/squad whatever happens this summer.

• IrishRob

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:21 PM

Just found someone mentioned it on Twitter so I said I’d go on the Beeb and grab a link WL.

If you’re watching it later let us know was it any good the Beeb is geoblocked for online viewing here.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:21 PM

22,
    I would say that at some point, if this is all genuine, someone will have to comment, one way or the other. If it disappears into the ether like BZG, then I will agree with you it has been nothing more than previous.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:22 PM

WL,

No worries, if you ever decide to head this way let me know and I can recommend some more spots for you to check out, or even show you around if you come anywhere near my neck of the woods 🙂

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:29 PM

Anyone heard any more about this press conference that Ashley’s supposedly about to give? Should be any minute according to twitter…

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:31 PM

And Lilongwe,

Not sure on Sorenson. Those failed loans will have wrecked his confidence so might be better to keep him at the club if we think he might be useful one day. My guess is that the club is keeping players like this on the books as fall-back options for if we get relegated. We’d likely lose a chunk of the first team if that happened, so having a few lower-level players in the ranks would save us having to bring in a lot of new faces all at once. I could be wrong though. Maybe somebody at the club sees some genuine potential there.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:32 PM

KV,
    We will see soon, but an announced press conference from Ashley? Where is he doing this from? Why this time? Seems dubious to say the least. Not much else about it other than some tweets, so I am not expecting much/anything. Not long till my scepticism could be prived right or wrong.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:39 PM

KV,
    If we were relegated, and we lost a chunk of the first team, whoever the owner (Ashley included) would commit enough funding to give us a competitive squad to return back up I think. It could give some of the younger lads a chance, but I don’t see us relying on lots of them.

If we are bought before, they will spend to get promoted. If we aren’t bought, Ashley will, based on past relegations, do enough to give the best chance of promotion and protect his investment.

However, I don’t think we will go down. I think top 10 is more realistic than relegation, but most realistic is maintaining our place in mediocrity of 11th to 15th.

• beermonkey

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:40 PM

kv

i read on twitter it was a hoax
    but dont quote me on that its twatter

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:43 PM

Lilongwe and Beer Monkey

No sign of any kind of announcement yet so looks like a hoax to me.

• Mund

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:44 PM

Tom

Haha quality isn’t it. Are you so far through or done it all?

He had me in stitches the whole way through

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:47 PM

KV,
    With regards to Sorenson’s confidence being knocked while on loan, he struggled. The big question is why? Carlisle questioned his work rate and effort off the ball. Is that why he didn’t play at Blackpool? If it is, then he hasn’t learnt, which is a worry.

If it is related to being away from home, then that is different, but as he needs to get senior game time, we either throw him in, or how do we get him comfortable mentally while he isn’t within the comfort of our youth set up and players he knows?

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:49 PM

LG,

I take your point there. I may have been looking for reason where there is none, but I can’t see any other reason to keep players at the club who have shown little to no promise by the age of 19/20 aside from to cover bases in the event of a catastrophe. I suppose he’s probably not worth nuch on the transfer market and on minimal wages, so it might be that there was just not enough incentive to move him on. I can’t see him making the first team now, but as always I’d love him (and all the others I have doubts over) to prove me wrong.

• toon22

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:50 PM

So someone makes an announcement
    Unless its the Prem saying they didnt pass the test who do you think would be to blame for the usual non sale ?

More likely is the usual silence meaning
    The Saudis offered what he was asking , terrible mistake ?
    Mandy didnt take him out for a curry ?
    The usual phantom 2nd bidders not up to scratch as per usual
    All he needed was cover for his terrible PR and robbing the fans but now he can see the next batch of TV money almost in his grasp ?+