web analytics

Steve Bruce Working Hard With Squad Amidst Takeover Talk – Still Has Faith In This Player

With the news swirling around about the proposed takeover of Newcastle, we have to admire the way current boss Steve Bruce and his players are going about their jobs.

The lads are preparing for our first game back when the Premier League restarts after the coronavirus pandemic delayed the season on Friday, March 13th.

The first game is on Sunday, 21st June against Sheffield United at home.

Newcastle played a friendly behind closed doors yesterday at Benton and beat Middlesbrough 3-2 with Joelinton scoring one of the goals.

And the striker had scored in an intra-squad friendly previously, but of course, these games are nothing like a Premier League game.

Steve Bruce with Joelinton

The manager has been talking to nufcTV about the former Hoffenheim forward after the win against Middlesbrough yesterday, as reported in the Chronicle:

“A lot has been said of his goal return, and we’ve always said for a young player with a big price tag and the number 9 on his back, it’s never going to be easy.”

“The one thing he has got the ability to do is to roll up his sleeves and have a go, and nobody can fault him in that respect.”

“Of course now, he’s got to add what center-forward’s do and that’s score a goal.”

“We’ve been working on him to work more inside the box and more within the posts, and thankfully today again he was in the right position at the right time which is vitally important.”

“He’s reflected on how it is in England and what it’s like, so I’m sure there’s more to come.”

It’s no secret the former Hoffenheim forward has had his struggles since joining us last summer for a hefty fee of around £35M.

He’s scored 3 goals with two of those coming in Cup games, so he needs to score more goals in the league, there’s no doubt about that.

But the player is still young and willing to do the hard work and roll up his sleeves to become a better player.

Players coming in from abroad often take their first season just to adjust to the demands of the very tough Premier League.

Joelinton is a good footballer, and he’s by no means a lost cause at Newcastle.

And some goals during the final 9 games of the season will do his confidence a world of good.

What do you think?

• Assassins Inc

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:04 AM

Ding ding, all aboard the fastest moving bus on the blog.

All this talk about the premier league looking at human rights records and piracy?

If the premier league are using this as a tool to fix piracy issues then shame on them, using our club as a pawn in there game of chess, as for human rights we can look at every country in the world and every owner of any club in the premiership and say that country where that owner has come from has both had human right issues and piracy issues.

Even England’s history has it fair share of human rights issues, so the premier league literally cannot suddenly change there policies to fit some hidden agenda and make changes that will effect the governments relationships with Saudi, this is something that could effect British economy.

The British government has huge dealings with Saudi worth billions, so premier league, have you now become a dictatorship and yourself a world power that decides the future of countries?

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:05 AM

Anyone catch the house of Saud programme last night?

was a tough watch, definitely isnt going to be a balanced documentary.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:05 AM

Hi all! Why we`re not sold yet?

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:06 AM

Hi all, stayed off for a couple of weeks, lack of takeover not good for my health 🙂

Wouldn’t it be ironic, if the thing that scuppers this deal is piracy, when I estimate there are probably 1M football supporters in UK doing exactly this every week of the year.

This reduces SKY’s take from U.K. by approx £23M per Month, £276M pa if my mental arithmetic is correct. This is money lost to UK clubs by our own supporters actions! – just saying 🙂

• Munster Mag

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:07 AM

Goth, read your comment last night. That may be their “culture” , but its well within the rights of any right thinker that chopping peoples hands off for theft etc is abhorrent.

• Paul141726

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:08 AM

Well put, Assassins Inc

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:08 AM

Bianconeri

It is against the law to show those matches and there have been prosecutions.

However, who is going to enforce the law throughout the UK never mind all of the other countries where matches are shown. Not the police, they don’t have the manpower or the desire to arrest and prosecute pubs and clubs – never mind the streaming companies online – for something which hardly drops into any crime category they are interested or responsible for.

That leaves abusing the TV rights wide open and, for sure, if I was paying millions for exclusivity I’d be pretty pi$$ed off by illegal use by individuals, pubs and clubs never mind a country actively participating in it.

However, beIN have apparently lost two legal cases against SA companies so where the whole thing stands and what can be done about it I have no real opinion – other than hopefully it doesn’t stop the takeover being approved.

I doubt it will.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:09 AM

Bill’s Son is Back,

I was hoping you might have links to hand to support your claims. Would that be possible? I don’t recall seeing any of the details you mention being confirmed, but I haven’t put a great deal of time into this. There are thousands of articles to trawl through from all those takeovers. I was hoping you could just point me in the right direction as you claimed to have knowledge on thus subject.

As for “definitive proof”, that letter from Masters certainly doesn’t constitute that. It basically said “we can’t comment on takeovers but if we ever get anything like this to deal with we would look into it” (very much not word for word, but that’s largely what they said IIRC). That doesn’t confirm anything.

• Munster Mag

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:09 AM

Cleveleys, welcome back. Maybe id the Saudi’s pay compensation straight up and start again in terms of getting the process over the line? Apparently this has lost in court twice, but clearly here is far more to it and it has legs, if it has dragged this long.

Line up those yanks I say. Lets hope they are full of bright smiles and momma’s apple pie, rather than racist wankers and Trump types.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:10 AM

McClaren on Talksport now, will go over the takeover with Jim White, should be a comedy show….

• Paul141726

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:10 AM

Cleveleysbob

Even if they COULD shut down an illegal box provider,
    more would be ready and willing to take their place.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:11 AM

Munster

sorry should have been clearer, i meant a tough watch because of the horrors that have gone on and were shown in Yemen and Syria.

a seperate note was that the show was coming from one direction imo – although most of it was before MBS became crown Prince – will see what the remaining 2 programmes are like.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:12 AM

I leave if Ashley sells, this blog will be a much better place for new posters.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:12 AM

Out of curiousity, did anyone else decide to never watch a game on TV while Ashley’s out owner or is that just me? I stream them all. Don’t want to give him any tv rights money. The way I see it, as long as we are making him money, he will not sell up. Personally, I don’t want to contribute to that.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:12 AM

And for all, not needed her Frog out now!

• Munster Mag

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:14 AM

Kevin, just because he doesnt go into detail doesnt mean the process of takeover isnt happening. Why is Cengiz imploring him and english football not to entertain the deal . Because the deal is a figment of someone’s imagination?

Are we back to conspiracy theory again, or do we need Staveley to execute ashley on the hallowed turf whilst rolling around the grass covered in 300mil , before we believe something might even be afoot.

We may fail the test etc, but there is a process, there is a takeover taking place.

There have been 3 other attempts , if you can call them that, to my mind aswell, as per Billson.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:15 AM

Re comment @#4. I suspect my figures are quite conservatively estimated.

Past tv audiences, when on “free to air” channels ran into many millions for “live” games.

SKY, mostly only gets approx 1M per prem game, on average. I suspect the demand for games has gone up not down, so where are the missing millions, simple, either all in pubs or “streaming”. I think streaming will be picking up the bulk, so the amount of money lost to the broadcaster and league has a chance to be immense, and our clubs lose out.

• Munster Mag

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:15 AM

Cheers Goth I jumped the gun there

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:17 AM

Munster

Nah i didnt write it clearly, my bad.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:18 AM

Assassins Inc

You make good points but the difference is that beIN are claiming that the SA Govt are actively involved and accepting of abusing beIN’s exclusivity rights – that is totally different to matches being shown here or elsewhere via SA streaming channels which our Govt can do little about.

I doubt human rights issues will be an issue for the very points you make – where do you stop if you go down that route and what do you do about all of the current club owners?

The PL have a big issue to resolve here and behind the scenes I would bet there is a huge amount on discussion and negotiation going on between the Pl, beIN and the Saudi authorities.

That may well be the biggest cause of the hold up.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:18 AM

Munster,

How would Cengiz know any more than us? Most likely just responding to the same media speculation we have heard. Cengiz would not have access to PL owner and director tests.

• Bianconeri

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:18 AM

Jib:You’re right about the dish.It’s even bigger than the one Del Boy had.
    A few planes have come past every now and then,especially when matches on. 😉
    Who is to blame for piracy in you’re eyes Jib,is it people who make the boxes or the stations putting them out ??
    “However beOUTq actually re-broadcast beIN content rebranded
    which is piracy” Ah so that’s why hairy hands is on the warpath,him and his side kick don’t get royalties for spouting shite when on beOUTq > cheers for trying to explain.I hope the PL have a better grasp than a lad frem Esh in tun.

Paul141726:Aggh Jim lad them pirates be everywhere,surely it’s the people that make the boxes that’s at fault.

geordietom:are the Kodi boxes made in Chy Na, 😉

I thought it would be possible to block signals.

• Darnik

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:20 AM

Missed the bus by a long way, I watch all 3pm kick offs and ppv fights on iptv, my adverts are all Irish so I’m presuming that’s where my particular server is, you will never stop piracy due to the extortionate amounts sky and virgin are charging

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:20 AM

Kevin @ 14, I stopped after my old contract ran out. Since then, CV19 came along and I cancelled my entire SKY sports package and currently have no intention of renewing until either (a) we have new owners or (b). Live sport with supporters is back, whichever comes 1st, and I’ll not hold my breath for either at the moment!

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:23 AM

KV

I have the same problem as you – I’m not going to trawl for hours looking for links.

As for Masters letter – you are wrong in what you say.

The following is directly copied from the BBC report;

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters says he will “fully consider” calls for Newcastle United’s proposed takeover to be blocked.

Hatice Cengiz, the fiancee of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi, has written to the league to oppose the deal.

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) is financing a £300m takeover.

Western intelligence agencies believe that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who heads the PIF, ordered Khashoggi’s murder in 2018 – which he denies.

But in a letter seen by BBC Sport, Masters tells Cengiz’s lawyer: “I assure you and your client that her representations are being fully considered in our process.”

That response by Masters is definitive proof the deal is with the PL for approval.

• Paul141726

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:25 AM

Bianconeri,

You won’t get an argument from me about the makers of the boxes. It’s just that
    someone will be buying them, whoever makes and provides them.
    Vicious cycle maybe? I just don’t know how it could or would be stopped.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:25 AM

Darnik, blame the PL, and clubs not the broadcaster. If you had to pay a couple of billion for the rights to something, you’re entitled to try and get your money back + some profit. SKY etc have to charge the amounts they do to cover their costs. If everyone, in some strange Utopia, only bought from the actual licensed broadcasters, then because of that massive influx of income, they could reduce their prices, I believe it’s called supply and demand.

• martoon

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:26 AM

Kevin Vegan @14 I’ve always stayed legal and have Sky & BT sports because apart from not wanting to break the law I believe the money goes towards running the clubs and transfers and not into Ashley’s back pocket. I’ll not lecture you but please don’t claim you are doing it for the good of the club when like everybody else it is to save stumping up the money!

• Mattroge

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:26 AM

Bills re the BZG comments you may be right. The theory I posted was something the Geordie Dentist was putting out on Twitter. We’ll never know exactly what happened but I think it’s safe to say there was something happening last summer. There was literally no comment from the club all summer then all of a sudden Perez was sold and they announced Rafa was leaving giving them very little time to get Bruce through the door.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:27 AM

People keep quoting this letter from Masters to Cengiz as being the first bit of solid evidence, but most also seem to be willing to suggest that Cengiz’s involvement indicates that she already knew the takeover was going to happen somehow. If the earliest bit of solid info was the letter from Masters to Cengiz (which is hardly “solid info” in my eyes) then Cengiz and Amnesty were clearly both just responding to speculation.

Masters and the PL would have felt obliged to make a formal public statement on the takeover as soon as news of Cengiz and Amnesty’s involvement hit the headlines. Masters categorically did not say anything to confirm that there is an ongoing takeover.

The other frequently touted bit of evidence – the Companies House document linking St James Holdings to PCP, appears to relate exclusively to Staveley’s court case with Barclays. Staveley is referred to as “the claimant” and there are several references to her claim against them, and no mention of a takeover.

I really don’t see anything in any of this yet. Maybe there is a bid already in place, but I don’t see that we can be certain yet.

• The Prince's Mate

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:29 AM

Ed, I think we will have new owners before JLinton scores again….i wish him all the best though

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:29 AM

Martoon,

I don’t even watch them at friends houses when I wouldn’t have to pay a penny. It’s very much a matter of morals, not money.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:32 AM

KV

So your morals tell you to steal. I think that is a lack of morals tbh..

• Paul141726

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:34 AM

Wow, just an observation, but posts came fast and furious this morning.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:34 AM

Cheers Munster, probably won’t be for long, just wanted to give my six pence worth on the Piracy issue, and highlight the irony/hypocrisy of the whole situation.

The league/clubs need the broadcast money, the broadcasters therefore need the funds and have to charge silly money because of low audiences, caused by illegal “streaming”, which we support by illegal “streaming”.

I hasten to add here, that I actually don’t stream, so effectively see very little football these days, been enjoying the old NUFC games on YouTube at weekends.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:35 AM

Also KV

“Masters and the PL would have felt obliged to make a formal public statement on the takeover as soon as news of Cengiz and Amnesty’s involvement hit the headlines.”

Any proof of this? sounds like opinion, i know you need proof to believe something, likewise i need proof of this statement to believe it.

Maybe Masters doesnt feel the need to make anything public and silence is good enough for him.

• Paul141726

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:35 AM

Gothmog, I’m thinking that KV is stating just the opposite.

• martoon

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:36 AM

I’ve said it before but there is a certain irony that a lot of posters on here watch their football on streams or dodgy boxes but are outraged the takeover might be blocked due to piracy!!! :mrgreen:

• The Prince's Mate

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:38 AM

If you walk into a public place and a live game is being shown there should be a “pint glass” near the bottom of the screen, if not its illegal.
    Some of us were asked.. for extra pay.. to go around designated pubs and see if any of the landlords were being naughty.
    I wouldn’t do it as a few of our guys were seriously threatened or chased out of the bar

• Northumbrian

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:38 AM

Esh in tun = ash gan is tun.