web analytics

A Strange Retraction From Guillem Balague On Newcastle Takeover

Guillem Balague has had to retract what he said on YouTube about the Newcastle takeover.

Guillem is a well-respected Spanish journalist, so when he says something positive about Newcastle and especially about the takeover, it’s usually taken bona fide good news for the Geordie fans.

And on YouTube these are the words he said that had Newcastle fans buzzing:

“The new Newcastle, when everything gets confirmed and everybody expects it to be confirmed to be honest from everything I am reading and from everything I am hearing,”

“From what I have been asking, the consensus is that the Premier League will accept the bid. If that is the case, then Newcastle are about to enter a new era.”

Guillem Balague

Well, that’s great – more people coming out thinking the Premier League will not turn down the bid made by Amanda Staveley’s consortium, which includes 80% of the funding from the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund.

But alas, he is now retracting that and saying he didn’t say the takeover would actually go through.

But that’s getting very picky since he said the consensus from those he has talked to was that the Premier League will accept the bid.

Oh well, why are we waiting?

This takeover attempt has gone on for far too long.

Make a decision Premier League – get off that fence.

• Northumbrian

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:01 PM

Guillem is an OK geezer.

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:02 PM

FFP is great news for clubs with money, so lets get this announcement done first please so we can crack on.

Oh, First

• Captain AmeriMag

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:03 PM

GUILLEM IS A GEORDIE!!

#CANS

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:03 PM

Too late:(

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:05 PM

I wonder why he had to retract what he said. Its only his opinion at the end of the day, no different from what most of the BS journo,s are spouting most of the time. Do they retract what they say, not very often.

• Oldgit1

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:06 PM

@ WLtoon how cheap mate, as my son has just taken it out for me for a Father’s Day present, just want to know if he is a skinflint.

• phy

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:07 PM

Just a thought but if the deal has been passed as some suggest, but the new owners are waiting for a date to announce, does this not show a Serious Miscalculation on their part of the anxiety, stress and trauma that fans are undergoing? I seriously hope for this reason only that the deal is due (and will pass) as I personally would feel manipulated and taken for granted, don’t get me wrong I’ll still celebrate but it would take the gloss off a wee bit.

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:07 PM

Just announce it already. There are no new obstacles haulting it’s approval so what’s the hold up??

• It's on

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:08 PM

I have, for a long time, thought the Saudi bid was a done deal. Clearly politics have got a grip and spanners were thrown in the works.

Now I think the deal is dead. I also think the “Premier” League will not be too keen to say “The Saudi Royal Family are not fit to be directors of a “Premier” League football team. Indeed, I think the UK Government have probably told them that this would be a bit of a poo poo regarding relations with our allies.

I think the PL just want it to go away, hence the second bid.

Meanwhile, I am thinking of ways of preventing me spending any money or emotion on a League who are happy to have the plucky Geordie f*****ts as fodder, paying money every week, every year, to see their team get beaten by the popular clubs with squeaky clean owners.

• beefman13

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:09 PM

Well, I can talk I waivered a bit, the WTO report as we all knew would mention that the Saudis knew about the piracy, yes, and really did not do enough to stop it, BUT no mention of Prince Bin Salman or the PIF or even NUFC, that is massive in a legal sense, I feel it will go quiet for a while then after been given Guarentees by the Saudis to control the piracy issue, which they are no doubt doing, they will then give that precious green light for the takeover, as u said that report was massive for the TOON.

• archaeomag

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:12 PM

@Oldgit1 thanks m8
    Fathers day – that might explain why a chocolate pizza was delivered with the message “Love you dad” – it’s weeks since my birthday – I’ve got a 1 in 4 chance of thanking the right one ?

Ed’s engaged the turbo again.

• It's on

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:15 PM

Oh and keeping the popular teams out of any relegation scraps. The world would cave in if Spurs or Arsenal lost their bottle and spent a season in a relegation scrap.

One more at the top means one more closer to the bottom.

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:19 PM

oldgit@6

Has your son put a football package on your Now TV ? I got a Now TV stick for xmas and my football pack was only £4 for the month, but that was a special offer.
    I`ve just checked prices an they have gone up to £30 a month.

• lesh

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:20 PM

Bills Son Is Back

That story about Ashley asking Maurriss for a £5m deposit has as much credibility as his supposed bid. The press would see the Ashley demand as a natural extension of the bid report. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ashley were to have asked for said deposit – wouldn’t you in that situation? I would.

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:21 PM

It`s On

Do you really think it`s dead in the water? I guess it all depends which way you look at the complexity of the deal.

• archaeomag

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:22 PM

@WT
    Black & white tea towels are selling out fast in the toon – get yours quick

• c-dog

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:25 PM

The Saudi bid looks dead

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:26 PM

archaeomag,

I`le nip down to Home Bargains see what they`ve got

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:28 PM

Surely if the deal was dead we would of heard something? Journo,s would be all over it wanting to be the first to report it.

• archaeomag

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:29 PM

@wt
    luckily, it’s Thursday – I’m allowed out shopping
    so I’m off to Walter Wilson’s for some smiling service 🙂

• archaeomag

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:31 PM

@wt
    I ‘ve always thought Prudhoe – The Prud {kids again} is a great place to buy a bucket.

• RobLeenio

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:33 PM

This FFP is not a complete relaxation of the rules. But what it does essentially do is allow any club able to do so to invest unlimited amounts into player recruitment during this Summer’s transfer window as a one-time-only affair.

If only we were about to become the richest football club on the planet!

😉

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:34 PM

Bus has moved

• The Prince's Mate

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:57 PM

Oldgit@39 previously
    . How much Now TV?.. about £1.50 per month…. Naaa just pulling yer tweeker… Its the thought that counts?

• BeeGuy

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:44 PM

It would be far better for NUFC to be sold to Mauriss, who is a media mogul than a murderous pirate. With Stavley under some tax investigation, 2 of the 3 bidding group are tainted.

• Phil K

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:18 PM

I don’t think there is any doubt now – they are delaying and delaying hoping they can refuse the takeover to please the Southern media without getting the arse deservedly sued off them by Saudis.
    They are NOT handling this fairly.

• Phil K

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:20 PM

“BeeGuy” – and what makes you think the Yank is squeaky clean ?
    And did you get your info off the rabidly Anti-NUFC and Anti-Takeover press ?

• Geordie-john

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:46 PM

Haway man we are going dafter than normal waiting for this supposed news of a takeover. Just drop the bomb on us and get it doe and dusted are we to become the envy of the UK or are we still stuck with Fat Lad and his annual notifications of another possible takeover when really him and his tosser mates while getting pissed in USA come up with another load of bollocks to get us thinking that we are about to get rid of him.
    OR could Amanda come out and give us an update of the situation, Good or Bad !

• Geordie-john

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:50 PM

Beeguy @25

Mauriss, is another Spurs supporter and a Yank so the likelihood of him being a mate of Fat Lad is very high wouldn’t you say ? So If he is genuine and takes over the club then he will probably treat us in the same way that Cashley has for the last 13 + years
    I’ll take the Saudis any day over him.

• Big Archie

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:10 AM

Sadly we are in an era when fans hear what they WANT to hear rather than hearing what has been said.

As you quite rightly say – he said the CONSENSUS FROM THOSE HE HAS TALKED TO was that the Premier League will accept the bid.

He gave THEIR opinion, not his.

This is not being picky, this is understanding English.