web analytics

Foreign Secretary Makes Some Encouraging Comments On Newcastle Takeover

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has talked about the Newcastle takeover, and he toes the government line, that they will not interfere and trust that the owners’ and directors’ test of the Premier League will come to the right decision in what is a legal process.

It may just be us, but it seems the comments made by Raab seem almost positive for the takeover o Newcastle, but perhaps we are just reading too much into his remarks.

It is exactly 10 weeks today since Amanda Staveley submitted the documents (on April 7th) for the takeover to the Premier League – and still nothing.

One positive is there has been good communication both ways between the Premier league and Amanda Staveley’s consortium, and the consortium are still saying the deal will go through.

As for the Premier League, if they block this deal, it means that Saudi Arabia will never be able to own a Premier League club for the foreseeable future.

That’s unless they change their ways substantially, and with this current acquisition, they will pour money into Newcastle United and the Premier League.

Dominic Raab (shown above) made an appearance on Sky News this morning, and this is some of what he said:

“There’s a proper process that we’ve got in place to look at everything from the competition aspects to other questions of propriety,”

“I think it’s right that that legal due process, with all its safeguards that it’s got in place, is followed. We have this debate about takeovers in this country, and I think we should follow the rule of law.”

“We had the same debate in relation to Roman Abramovich and Chelsea. I think it’s right that we welcome engagement, investment into football in this country.”

“Everyone’s pleased to see the Premier League back up and running, and also that there are legal safeguards to make sure it’s done the proper way.”

“This country is an open, outward-looking country. We’ve got investment from all around the world, but we do need safeguards in place.”

” We’ve seen that in relation to 5G, takeovers that national security and other questions of propriety are properly scrutinized.”

“We’ve got the due process and laws in place to do that. We have to trust the institutions we’ve got to deliver that.”

Everything Raab says there is correct and, of course, political, and he gives nothing away.

But Newcastle are like a ship drifting in the ocean with no direction at the moment.

Mike Ashley doesn’t want to be involved, and the would-be owners are waiting in the wings to take over.

Yes, I’m like a broken record, but it’s about time the Premier League made a decision on this takeover: 10 weeks is enough time for them to gather the information they need to make a decision.

Howay The Lads!!

• Ron Knee

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:46 AM

Dominic “Dover” Raab.

• Mund

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:47 AM

Ya right like Tom the small ones are feisty alright

• Mund

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:48 AM

I believe the decision will be made this week and hoping for an early next week announcement

• Frank pingles come sock

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:48 AM

Key phrase

#cans

• Mund

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:50 AM

Frank

It’s coming mate not long I’m itching to have a release of what I don’t know I’ve held it in so long

• geordietom

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:50 AM

hibbit … from previous …

nice mate , question is borough bridge near you …

• Tonytoon73

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:52 AM

Nashers where are you from? The reason I ask is you were on about a pub crawl the other week starting at the Windmill and ending at the Jingling Gate, that’s my neck of the woods mate

• hibbit

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:53 AM

Mund i think the decision has been made and we’re now just waiting for the announcement,

• lesh

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:53 AM

Ron Knee

You’re a cynic and a traitor and should have more faith in Raab

• geordietom

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:56 AM

I believe the Saudi’s are our are future
    Teach them well and let them lead the way
    Show them all the beauty we possess inside
    Give them us a sense of pride to make it easier
    Let the Geordies laughter remind us how we used to be
    Everybody searching for a hero
    we need someone to look up to
    we have found someone who fulfill our needs
    A lovely place to be..

• Frank pingles come sock

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:57 AM

Mund

Totally agree it eating up my life.

I’ve never wanted something so much.

The day the News breaks is going to be Epic.

I am not greedy , I just want to love the club again and have a club that shows the right kind of ambition/ communicates / appreciates the fans

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:57 AM

Talking about ebay, i would recommend it, i have never had a problem with it, and it has saved me a ton of money.
    If you pay by PayPal you,re money is secure and you will get a refund if you have a problem.

• hibbit

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:57 AM

tom from thirsk about 14m from where i live about 20m

• Mund

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:00 AM

hibbit

i hope so mate, i can feel it it’s so close

• Toonarmy of Frogs

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:01 AM

Or simply awaiting NUFCs league safety. Then big announcements. If thats attainted and we hear nowt. Thatd be pretty much takeovers end. (Hope not)

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:02 AM

When the announcement breaks i don`t think fans will be able to help themselves and will flock to the ground.
    Would they stay a metre apart, can`t see it myself, but it`s human nature to gather en masse when something exciting happens.

• Jib

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:03 AM

• The Prince's Mate

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:03 AM

Surely can’t be long now, there can’t be much more for Mandy and Co to prove now? Even if its a negative at least let us know what the hells happening. I’m hoping that now Masters and Raab the Vlaad are talking about us it won’t be too long?!

• geordietom

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:05 AM

Hibbit …

only asked ( not being morbid ) that’s where my Dad was killed in a RTA back in 1964 , is it a bridge or just the name of the place ? …

• Jib

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:05 AM

He was expecting that question and was well briefed

• VICKIDINO

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:05 AM

WLtoon
    sent you a link via Whatsapp earlier

• RobLeenio

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:06 AM

Raab “We have to trust the institutions we’ve got to deliver that.”

Or, in other words “Get on with it, Premier League”.

😉

• Mund

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:07 AM

Frank

Agree as well mate

For me after BZG when i’ve never felt so low in my footballing life, i was destroyed, as you all know the feeling.

So with this takeover which i believe will happen and always have, there’s a but tho…..i can not and will not think past anything other than it being announced for obvious reasons.

So like you it’s took up my life and i have this built up energy inside me busting to come out and start the dreams. So i cant even imagine the reaction i’ll give.

This will change my life in so many ways, no more sulking and being depressed because of the situation of our club and i can’t even fathom what that feels like.

Here’s to a better way of life lads and lasses

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:08 AM

Tom 10 grand these days is nowt for a kitchen mate.

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:08 AM

Work are starting to make phone calls so it wont be long before i`m back to graft. New layout, even more ppe and also masks to be worn, but no clocking in or out. Now that sounds interesting 🙂

• geordietom

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:09 AM

anglo …

it is when my sister has one every two years mate …

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:10 AM

Tonytoon73

I live in costa del blakelaw mate

• cleveleysbob

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:10 AM

Lesh, Happy Birthday mate, sorry I’m a bit late, trawling through the night shift stuff.

Liked your Tony Blair comment ha ha. Don’t think I’m Sneaky or manipulative enough to be another TB.

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:11 AM

now wor amanda is in court from monday to friday aye so it wont be through the week, this is why I said on a saturday or sunday day of our match v sheff united think about it, all hurdles are gone now really so why not

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:11 AM

VICKIDINO,

Ok, cheers sis.

• RobLeenio

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:12 AM

Raab studied Law at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, before doing his Masters at Jesus College, Cambridge.

No connection with Durham, sadly, nor football in general. Doubt we’ll see any NUFC shirts over his shoulder.

His Twitter bio states he’s a boxing fan. Wonder if he’s dabbled as an amateur – he’s got a good physique for it.

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:12 AM

WLtoon

if its got oak and marble benches on it cost an arm and a leg, anything from 15 grand upwards

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:12 AM

Tom eh kitchen every 2 years.

• lesh

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:14 AM

Nashers

Amanda’ll have heavy-duty legals and financiers on the takeover case. She’ll be kept in touch and only needs to be around to front the announcement.

• martoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:15 AM

the crown princes nashers & Tonytoon73 – I’m in the same ‘neck of the woods’ – the Jingling Gate is my local.

• RobLeenio

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:15 AM

mund “after BZG when i’ve never felt so low in my footballing life, i was destroyed”

I was gutted after that, but the lowest point for me was a few months after when Rafa walked. Totally fell out of love with the club, football in general at that point.

This takeover means we hopefully the club back, something we can get behind, something which we can be a part of. Something we can invest our emotion in once more, rather than just going through the motions.

That’s what #cans means to me, so much more than just having a drink and toasting our new Saudi Overlords.

• lesh

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:16 AM

Cleveleysbob

It takes a special sort to get anywhere near Blaire!

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:16 AM

I saw the Raab interview more about him covering his arse with KSA than anything else, in case it doesnt go through.

As foreign Sec he deals with KSA a lot and now he can say “well i went on TV saying it was a good idea, nowt to do with me that it didnt get approved”.

these politicians are slimy little feckers, self-interest is what drives them.

• WLtoon

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:17 AM

Crown Prince,

Ouch, that,s way above anything i spent on ebay mate,, you looking for a kitchen ?