web analytics

Bruce Explains Winger Decision, Saudi Arabia Takes Action, And The Gifted Saint-Maximin – Today’s News Roundup

Steve Bruce expounds on why he put Matt Ritchie on the team sheet, the Saudis have taken action to prevent intellectual property theft within their borders, and Allan Saint-Maximin gets high praise from his head coach.

Here is the roundup of today’s articles and news from The Newcastle United Blog.

What Will The Result Be Against Aston Villa On Wednesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:02 PM

So if Joelinton scored a hat trick would you still be saying but ya know they had 10 men it’s not that good blah blah blah

• archaeomag

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:03 PM

@rob sorry m8
    I was trying to be Comment #44; everyone said how much they were missing him [not]
    I’m afraid my “jokes” need footnotes.
    I was mimicking his style which is very distinctive.
    It was a poor job – I had to knock it from memory.
    Kev has a very distinctive style, 14- 16 words per sentence, with up to 60 % unique words, probably due to the nature of football, but his sentence length is bang on average for an American 8th grader education His word usage is just slightly higher standard with 1/2/3/ syllables 70/15/15%, respectively, again this might be football related.
    Sorry, my joke backfired (again).
    But I was riffing about people missing kv.
    Serendipity is a terrible word to have spell.

• coming home

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:06 PM

Kev

Bit harsh on Sheff u

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:06 PM

Mund

A 3-0 win is a great result on paper, but the performance wasn’t our finest and it was looking a lot closer when it was 11 vs 11. A 3-0 win at home against a 10 man team who looked like they’d struggle in the championship the last 2 games is not a moment I’m going to get super excited about, but there was enough in there to give me some hope for now. We still need Ashley gone and we need somebody better than Bruce at the helm. We also need a striker who consistently takes chances, and Joelinton still looked like he had some jitters when he was under pressure.

• Mund

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:08 PM

Kev

Blah blah blah

Your taking nonsense get to bed

• Munster Mag

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:09 PM

Jesus Britain nearly went insolvent at start of pandemic. Scary days.

• Pat On The Heed

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:10 PM

Kev’s baaaaack. Dun-dun-derrr.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:10 PM

CH

Sheff U were dreadful against Villa, and aside from a modest spell at the end of the first half I thought they looked pretty woeful against us too. Too many silly errors, defenders falling asleep and lacking ideas going forwards in both games. Ritchie’s goal was a blinder, other two were gifted somewhat but we never looked to be in much trouble

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:12 PM

Mund

Meh just being a realist mate. Glad we won, but we’re not looking like a top 7 side yet which looks to be up for grabs this season.

• Mund

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:13 PM

Kev

Thought you were off to bed?

• Mund

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:13 PM

Realism is a myth

• Pat On The Heed

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:14 PM

@ Munster. Quantitative easing to the rescue.

• giimps

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:14 PM

Kev,
    All Joe can do is put one of his chances away, if he scuffs a few and scores a few with no fans in the ground, maybe by the time the crowds get back he may have a bit more confidence, its usually knowing when to make the runs, putting your body on the line to go through a defender to get that tap in .
    It’s not as if Sheff laid down, they still ended up with more possession than us , just did little with it.
    I agree though, he needs to do it vs more top teams , but we also need to get the ball to him in good areas (which we don’t do enough of IMHO)
    I still would rather have a more accomplished striker on the pitch but we have what we have

• Munster Mag

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:15 PM

Kevin, lots of reasons to be cheerful. Moved the ball faster, far more fluidity and confidence.

• Mund

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:15 PM

Big Joe started the move and finished it

• coming home

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:15 PM

Mund

Howay man he is as much entitled to a discussion as us

• carltoon

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:16 PM

Kevin. They where denied a victory at Villa Or should I say robbed, I’m sorry but they we’re one of in form teams before the lock down, I’m sure we are one of the only teams, to do the double over them. If you don’t think we played well, are you sure you watched the game.

• Australian Pie

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:16 PM

Kev please mate, you can’t criticise a team that has just won 3-0, it was a 7+/10 performance for every player that took the pitch after not playing a game for 3 months.

They deserve nothing but praise until Wednesday night at a minimum

• Mund

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:18 PM

CH

I was joking on the get to bed part obviously.

He can give an opinion and I can give my opinion of that opinion. Totally expected a negative twist off him on his return but mate I hear ya no worries.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:18 PM

Pat

I had a brief catch-up earlier and I can tell how much you all missed me from the way everyone’s been arguing in my absence. It was really quite touching to see so many people willing to take my place. I haven’t read all the comments I missed yet so could you catch me up? I’m assuming that 3 days of me being away was long enougn for the blog to elect a new ghost of Tony Baloney to act as scapegoat for any unpleasantness?

• coming home

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:18 PM

Carltoon

Good point

• carltoon

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:18 PM

Are you pleased we won ?

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:19 PM

Mund

When did I say I was off to bed? You’re imagining things matey

• Mund

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:20 PM

Arguing?? I think I read a few posts about how much more chilled the blog was over the last few days, must of missed them…

CH

I know, I know

• Mund

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:21 PM

What bed?

• carltoon

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:22 PM

Ha ha, hope we get lucky again on Wednesday. Honestly I’ll be pleased when we are mathematical safe, and then I can relax.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:22 PM

Giimps

“All Joe can do is put one of his chances away”

Other strikers sometimes score more than one chance a game, you know…

He took the second one well, good pass and decent movement but the opposition didn’t react and it wasn’t a difficult chance, with no pressure on him. As I said, I’m not getting too excited.

• coming home

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:23 PM

Mund

Alls good in love n war mate

• The ledge

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:24 PM

Im delighted we won but It does show how far we have fallen to be so exited about beating a newly promoted side at home against 10 men kevin does have a point there .

• carltoon

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:25 PM

Your not excited!!! Well there’s loads of other teams if you want more excitement, Christ I can’t sleep the night before the match, no nails by the time the games finished.

• NY Mag

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:26 PM

Carltoon,

I’ll take lucky on Wednesday also…I’ll take lucky anyday if we win 🙂

• coming home

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:26 PM

Carltoon

Although not mathematically safe

If every team below us got 2 points per game average (very unlikely)
    And we average 0.75 a game we will still stay up
    So for me we are as good as safe

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:26 PM

Munster,

It wasn’t a terrible game but I want to see us build a team that can challenge for a place in Europe regardless of a takeover, and we’re not looking like we’re there yet IMO.

• Pat On The Heed

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:27 PM

Kev – Tears were shed. Keyboards were slammed. You’ll get a hero’s welcome tomorrow – especially when you share your issues with the 3-0 win.

• carltoon

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:27 PM

Well we all thought we would get beat, honestly I cry if we lose, go hysterical when they win,

• Munster Mag

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:27 PM

Kevin I think most fans were excited by that performance and rightly so

• giimps

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:27 PM

Kev,
    Some strikers do put more than one chance away, unfortunately, at the minute, if he puts one chance away every game, i will be happy with that, its down to the rest of the team to help him (and him to help them) after-all hes on a goalscoring run now, he just needs to keep doing it or providing for others until the end of the season.
    I have a feeling having no fans in the ground will help us more than most teams, and possibly him more than most strikers too…..just a feeling, an opinion and a humble one at that.

• Mund

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:27 PM

Bright sides of big Joe’s goal…

Be moaned at for not being more assertive and getting into the box, making runs, busting a gut really but he bust one on Sunday and made encouraging runs.

The lad isn’t a number 9 but that’s not to say he can’t be one. I don’t know what the future holds for the big lad but what anyone says he has got ability and he has all the attributes to make it in this league, whether that happens or not is yet to be seen but I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him yet.

You can go on and say 2 Premier league goals blah blah but fact is he has come over in a new league on a defensive team who averaged what was it 36/38 % possession and lacking any real creativity.

I’ll ask you doubters do you think he would only have 2 goals now if he played for Liverpool or City?

• Mund

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:29 PM

Carltoon

I grow them all week just to bite them off on the weekend it gets painful at times tho

• giimps

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:29 PM

If no takeover…..no build for Europe….simples