The Mail’s Craig Hope put out a very promising report yesterday on what he’s heard from his sources about the looming takeover.
Other sources close to deal say it is ‘not by accident’ that two separate Saudi authorities today pledged to clamp down on broadcast piracy in the country.
— Craig Hope (@CraigHope_DM) June 21, 2020
While we’ve heard that it’s close for ages now, we are quite optimistic that this takeover will be approved. However, if it’s as soon as this week or next, we’ll believe it when we hear it.
Hope spoke to talkSPORT about his report this morning. He reiterated what he wrote about the positive vibes he’s getting from his source.
However, Hope also spoke a bit about the future of Steve Bruce, who he had a much-ballyhooed run-in with earlier this year.
Hope is backing up reports that Bruce will remain Newcastle’s head coach once the takeover is confirmed, at least in the interim. This is some of what he said today:
“The buyers have also been consistent in that there will not be an immediate change of manager. We saw several back page stories saying that Mauricio Pochettino is set to arrive on a £19million contract.
“To be fair to them, they laughed it off. They said there is no shortlist. Listen, Mauricio Pochettino might be the next manager of Newcastle but at the moment there are certainly no plans for that.
“There are certainly no plans to start dishing out £19million salaries. In the short term, they will look to Steve Bruce to steady the ship, which he has done well enough. Certainly in the last couple of games before lockdown and yesterday was a terrific win.
“In the short term, the job is Steve’s but beyond that you probably are going to expect new owners, and normally it does equate to a new manager.
“There are still a few unknowns in that regard. First and foremost the message from the buying side now is ‘let’s get the keys to the building and see where we go from there.'”
We went into yesterday’s game not expecting much. Sheffield already had a full 90 minutes in them from mid-week, and we expected the lads to come out a bit sluggish after the long lay-off.
However, it didn’t take them long to dispel that notion. After about 10 minutes, Newcastle wrested control of the match and were the superior side for the remainder of it.
A lot of credit has to go to Steve Bruce for the performance. He got the team selection spot on, and they looked a big threat, especially down the flanks.
Bruce can do himself a lot of good if Newcastle can perform like this over the next eight games and the FA Cup.
While it might not be enough to be kept on beyond this year, he will have set up an excellent platform for this club to progress towards dizzying heights.
For that, he will have cemented a very respectable legacy for himself at Newcastle.
He may even, against all the odds, force the prospective new owners into giving him some serious consideration for next season as well.