web analytics

As Takeover Continues To Churn – Steve Bruce Concentrates On What Would Be A Wonderful Achievement

Steve Bruce keeps being asked about the takeover, but there’s nothing he seems to know that the fans don’t know.

He is like any other fan and just waiting to see what is going to happen.

The deal has been in the Premier League’s owners’ and directors’ test for almost 11 weeks now.

But Newcastle fans are happy enough at the moment.

That’s because there are signs the takeover will indeed be approved, with the Saudi’s agreeing to cut down on piracy in their country.

They have also taken an investment in BT, and BT Sports broadcasts the Premier League games.

News is also coming through that Saudi Arabia wants to acquire the TV rights for Serie A and the Bundesliga for next season.

And the kingdom has also sent an urgent letter to major sports bodies saying they will cut down on any piracy of Intellectual Property in their country.

All this news is ongoing, but there’s not much manager Steve Bruce (shown above) can do about it.

And he is concentrating on doing his job, as he had this to say to the Chronicle today:

“I’m brutally honest I’m not really interested in it because I can’t influence that.”

“I’ll hear something when probably you guys hear something.” “My job is to remain focused and keep taking the club forward.”

“What I want is what’s best for the club. I have to focus on trying to end the season in good form.”

“We are aiming to finish well.” “That’s all I’m focused on, finishing the season strongly.”

“Now we have the opportunity to say: ‘Can we finish in the top 10?'”

“That would be a wonderful achievement.”

“That’s what the aim is, we will go for the top 10 and see where that takes us.” “Our physical levels have been good.”

“Our data figures have been exceptional.”

What Will The Result Be Against Aston Villa On Wednesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• G

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:25 PM

Top 10 nice, top 8, not impossible? Still don’t think the next regime will stick with SB myself, although they may give him a crack at it?

• coming home

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:27 PM

• coming home

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:28 PM

Wrong link

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:28 PM

If I’m brutally honest, I’m not interested in the takeover because I can’t influence it

• #cans

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:30 PM

Ultimately under Ashley no manager would do very well, a bit of luck or a dogged defensive approach is the only way – unless this changes for an owner willing to take the club forward we’ll forever be flirting with relegation and mid table seen as a good finish by both fans and pundits alike.

This whole give the manager respect balls is a bit much… like we should have given Ardiles / McClaren / Kinnear and countless others respect …. for what exactly …being old and getting paid more than most of us can imagine whilst doing a similar job at management as the man in the street?
    I’d rather give Jib the job , he knows everything about football and can speak every players language

• Novocastrian66

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:33 PM

KV; you’re interested about the game on Wednesday but you cannot influence that either.

• fairscup

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:33 PM

vegan@4

Spoken like a true fan.

• archaeomag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:33 PM

@ED
    A Positive perspective ~ given how we felt back in October?
    It’s all so long ago now.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:33 PM

Archaeomag, from previous

I had planned on coming back to watch the game but didn’t have a lift home. I knew I could catch up and watch it later though.

• hibbit

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:35 PM

the loudest voice 😉

• archaeomag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:35 PM

@kev I have said the same thing !!
    If I find a few £mill or Mandy down the back of the old sofa, then that’s a different story 🙂

• TyneMouth

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:36 PM

I was listening to the new Bob Dylan album yesterday, it’s surprisingly wonderful!

He includes the delightful line;

“I need you, like my head needs a noose”

I consider saving the line as a farewell message to Ashley, but I am tempted to post it to Tony, (full of) Balony…

Just sayin’…

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:36 PM

Novo and Fairscup

Not my words, Steve Bruce’s. I quoted it from Ed’s article. I thought I’d see what reaction I’d get if I said the same thing he did (and check whether anyone actually read it). “Spoken like a true fan” indeed…

• archaeomag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:36 PM

@kev
    I am so jealous of people who can types quickly and consistently, it’s a shame @EDs cut the no of characters down, we won’t get a chance to analyse some of your longer comments.

I have over 12,000 words of articles on line,( although about 2000 of them were added later by editor in Oregon), I have to construct each sentence like a child with lego, it’s so time consuming – which is why I’ve moved to video.
    Have you ever worked with an real editor?

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:37 PM

Archaeomag,

Does finding things down the back of the sofa class as archaeology? I imagine it would be a similar process in my sofa. You’ll find all sorts in there!

• Munster Mag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:38 PM

Correct Kevin, you cant influence it and neither can Bruce, but his was a politicians answer.

I always admire how he said – ” whatever is best for nufc is best for me” . Thats pretty admirable.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:39 PM

As in a professional editor? No, I haven’t. I’ve worked to style guides and worked on submissions where you are guaged on working to a certain editorial style, but never specifically worked under an editor.

• fairscup

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:39 PM

Vegan – totally different context you WUM.

He means he wants to concentrate on winning the remaining games (as it is his job) as the take over is out of his control.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:41 PM

Munster

By “politician’s answer”, do you mean a lie?

• carltoon

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:41 PM

Anglo, 🙂

• archaeomag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:43 PM

@Munster Mag
    on a personal level a lot of this must be really difficult for Steve, it’s a tough life as defender.
    He is kind of in a unique position, it’s difficult enough for the fans, but he’s between a rock & a hard place. right now, which makes what he did on Sunday all the more remarkable.

• archaeomag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:43 PM

Carl 🙂

• geordietom

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:45 PM

fairscup …

thought there was no bogs there mate …

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:45 PM

Yes and I was saying it in the context of quoting Steve Bruce to see how it would be taken if somebody else said this. Do we believe for one second that Brucey genuinely isn’t interested in the takeover or is it safe to say he is lying? If so, why? Do you think he’s been told to lie by the club? Why not tell us what you think, Steve?

• Munster Mag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:46 PM

Rotonda…

Rafa was incrementally transitioning and stabilizing a squad that had come up.

Rafa had moved back 3 places in the league. We werent going backwards but hardly great improvement either? 8 good players added? For how long – are you including Bentaleb, Rose. Lazaro? Were any of them even fit?

This isnt an anti Rafa rant, just a look at two seasons

Its pretty clear statistically that Bruce is doing as well/better than the great Benitez . Yes ASM was a great addition but losing two strikers and having no preseason must have been pretty bad for him. People just wont accept what they are seeing.

So much for fans on here saying he would have us relegated by Christmas. How stupid they look now.

• Munster Mag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:47 PM

Kevin, i dont know if he is lying but to expect 100% truth from any manager in a presser is a bit naive.

• Mund

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:47 PM

CH

Who is the tweet from?

• fairscup

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:49 PM

What is he supposed to say “fck off and mind your own business”.

“What’s good for the club is good for me” is good enough for me.

• Munster Mag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:50 PM

Cans, you knock the management game as though its easy. How many teams have you coached or trained ? If it was so easy we’d all be earning fine salaries in football management.

• archaeomag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:50 PM

@kev you’ve seen the shit I write, one of my readers, volunteered, like yourself, had a clear economic style.
    There is reason that journalism comes in at 9th grade & “easy to read” is it has to be accessible.
    My stuff used to rated at age 14 readability which is great for a complex subject – but I kinda went mad & lots in the last few years.
    You have metronomic precision, do play an instrument ?

• fairscup

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:50 PM

Aye Tom

We used to cup our hands to help everyone over, best climber went last, great days.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:50 PM

Munster

I expect anyone who’s wages are paid by the fans to be honest with us whenever possible mate. Anything else is a kick in the teeth. If I lied to my customers at work and didn’t cook them the dishes listed on the menu I’d get fired. We should expect honesty as it is our club and we pay his wages.

• Jib

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:51 PM

Only fools waste time worrying about what they can’t control and have no influence over.

• Mund

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:52 PM

Wow….

• fairscup

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:52 PM

100% Jib.

• Mund

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:54 PM

Jib

Totally agree and a motto I always choose.

• archaeomag

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:54 PM

@Tyne
    false Prophets ?
    I made a joke about it in piece [but I have heard it yet}
    They are all quite distinctive, what do make of it – where does it fit?

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:54 PM

Archaeomag,

What age is 9th grade? We didn’t get taught it at all in school or 6th form, first opportunity was at uni for me.

As for instruments, I’ve dabbled on guitar, uke, cello, piano ans violin but never got far with any. I’ve also tried making some electronic music but not done much of any of the above lately. Am I right in thinking you play guitar?

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:54 PM

KV

If your restaurant was going through a change of ownership with a strict NDA in place, would you start talking about it to the customers? If you did that would be hugely unprofessional imo.

1 2 3 10