web analytics

Newcastle Manager Talks About The Takeover – We Have To Be Patient For A Bit Longer

Steve Bruce has given several interviews before tonight’s important game against second-bottom Aston Villa.

It’s a game we can win and if we do, we will be on 41 points from 31 games played and will have some momentum for the remaining run-in to the league.

There’s only once we have gone over 50 points in the Premier League with the hopeless Mike Ashley as the owner, but this could be the second time and it will be most welcome.

Here are the positions we have finished under Mike Ashley.

Premier SeasonPositionNumber of Points
2007-20081243
2008-20091834 - relegated
2009-20101 (Championship)102 - promoted
2010-20111246
2011-2012565
2012-20131641 - fighting relegation
2013-20141049
2014-20151539 - fighting relegation
2015-20161837 - relegated
2016-20171 - (Championship)94 - promoted
2017-20181044 - fighting relegation
2018-20191345 - fighting relegation
2019-202013After 30 games - 38 points

And it’s rarely that Steve Bruce speaks about the long-running takeover attempt by the Amanda Staveley consortium – Amanda is shown above in London last week.

Here’s what Bruce said today about the takeover:

“It seems to have rumbled on and rumbled on but, as I’ve said many times, I can’t influence that,”

“I can’t really go and say, ‘Oh, when is this takeover going to be?’ Otherwise, I would have done four weeks ago.”

All I can say is, ‘Look, let’s just get on with what I can do’. ““My aim is just to prepare the team the best we can.”

And that will give ourselves a platform and if the takeover happens, and it’s best for the club and this, that and the other, then OK.”

“It seems to have dragged on and on, but we just have to be patient for a bit longer.

What Will The Result Be Against Aston Villa On Wednesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Australian Pie

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:23 PM

As a management team you then need to look at the effects of reduced performance, higher injury risks etc and decide what is important.

The 11 we can put out with giving 5 key injury risk players a rest is still quite strong in my opinion and warrants giving it our best go in the cup.

But just my opinion, ny gut feeling is Bruce will make 1 or 2 changes

• Tackle from behind

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:25 PM

Wise words from the Bruce

Ye’ll be king of all scotland yet

Oops, wrong Bruce

• martoon

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:25 PM

Steve Bruce talking about the takeover – queue for toon22? :mrgreen:

• martoon

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:25 PM

sorry grammar police that should be ‘cue’

• archaeomag

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:27 PM

mart 😉

• IrishRob

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:28 PM

Didnt see the bus..

Australian I’m speaking specifically for the next 2 games mate. I can see an unchanged team coming through 3 games in 7-8 games judging by home good they look. After that then I think they will need to be protected and the line ups altered accordingly. I know going on the Christmas buildup stats we haven’t done well but that’s different due to the weather, hot weather is conducive to less injuries, unlike the cold weather at Christmas which is the converse. Imo

• hibbit

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:29 PM

Vask a win tonight and i would agree with you,
    but beating villa would be a massive step to safety, and so sweet knowing we were helping villa on the road down

• IrishRob

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:29 PM

7-8 days*

• Mag52

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:31 PM

If Steve Bruce does manage to achieve a 50 points total with his team by the end of the season, would Jail for Ashley welcome this and acknowledge the achievement ?

• geordietom

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:32 PM

i’m confident and staying confident that BANTS is a wanker …

• hibbit

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:32 PM

Mag52 that’s still big IF

• Australian Pie

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:33 PM

Ok fair Rob, just depends on the way you look at each match. Do most of you guys think Lazaro, Schar, Bentaleb etc aren’t starting quality?

• Harrogate mag

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:34 PM

Hi everybody long time reader first time posting..thought I’d say hi

• Lindisfarne

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:35 PM

Repost

Tonight will be more about not losing than actually going out for a win. Good practice for Sunday and every chance of scoring, if not throughout, in the last 30 minutes.
    Would like to see Muto and Gayle start and maybe with Schar in a 3 man midfield, as an adaption of the 4321 we saw at times in the last match.

• Harrogate mag

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:35 PM

And no..not vegetarian

• DaveD1000

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:36 PM

APie

I would give them a start. They will be straining at the leash. If we do nothing else this season bar putting AV down I will be a happy bunny.

• Vask

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:38 PM

Hibbit

Do you think we could win tonight with a different line up? Or do you think we could do it with resting 1 or 2 key players?

I liked the suggestion of using the 5 sub rule to our advantage but do we try to win the game in the first half then swap our key players out? Or keep it tight first half then whack our pace and flair on in the second to win it?

• Australian Pie

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:39 PM

I think there is as much chance of hitting 50 points as there is getting under 40 points.

Most likely we will end up 42-46 points and hopefully with an FA cup =)

• Australian Pie

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:40 PM

Also I wouldn’t suggest not playing ASM and those few others but just giving them 30mins instead of 90min. Have him and others fresh for City

• geordietom

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:41 PM

Why did Bants flip a pancake? Because he’s a tosser…

• IrishRob

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:42 PM

This sounds much more likely than him coming to us or going to any other team. City are world class and badly need a good CD. I’d bet my house he will be playing for City next season.

• c-dog

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:42 PM

What’s the latest on the takeover? Is it dead?

• Jib

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:42 PM

Hello Harrogate mag
    Welcome
    Are you in the daft and barmy ?

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:43 PM

Mund

Not sure if you’re still about, didn’t get a chance to reply earlier.

I can see how you’d make that connection, but in my eyes the Saudis aren’t precious about our club and the motivation is much more likely to be appeasing the WTO so they don’t face legal action from Qatar or sanctions. As I said, they would have sorted this long before the paperwork got to the PL if it was going to affect a takeover.

• hibbit

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:44 PM

vask i think it will be exactly the same squad just used in a different order and depending how the games going, i think there’s a good chance of players who started on sunday being on the bench and used later in the game

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:45 PM

Welcome Harrogate, nice of you to join us! What are your thoughts on villa tonight? Think we’ll take the 3 points?

• Harrogate mag

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:47 PM

Certainly am jib..love reading the blog and views of different characters..as for me daft as a bag of monkeys

• Harrogate mag

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:48 PM

Would certainly hope so jib..either 1..0 or we crush em

• stan anderson

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:48 PM

Only once in AshLies reign have reached a good position in the Premier league,qualifying for UEFA league.
    The coach in charge was P45dew. Did that make him a good coach?
    Imo.Bruce has exceeded my expectations by a long way,but he,s just average at best.
    We have carried lots of luck this current season and gained unexpected points.
    Well done Bruce,but you need to make way for a top notch coach as soon as the takeover happens, maybe end of season.
    Thanks for your efforts.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:49 PM

Theories:

Archeomag and KV are the same person, schizophrenically speaking!

Laurent Blanc, if he’s coming, is more likely to be for DOF?

Villa game looks like the perfect banana skin game.

Would prefer 3 points against Villa than any other option discussed.

If we win tonight, let’s have a bloody good go at City!! 🙂

• Harrogate mag

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:50 PM

Sorry Kev put jobs name in there

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:50 PM

I’m now archaeomag, toon22 AND tony baloney?
    You lot never fail to amuse me 🙂

• geordietom

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:51 PM

Bants if your still about …

Your ass must be pretty jealous of all the shit that comes out of your mouth.

• geordietom

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:52 PM

Bants…

I don’t know what your problem is, but I’m guessing it’s hard to pronounce…

• cleveleysbob

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:53 PM

Continued;

Takeover will happen, “don’t know where, don’t know when”, but until etc etc. 😉

For a long time last night there was only one person on blog KV/Archiomag – strange conversation!!

Welcome, Harrogate Mag, the nuthouse welcomes all and destroys many lives in equal measure.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:55 PM

You’ve never been Toon22 or Tony Baloney, just saying, 😉

• Harrogate mag

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:56 PM

Thanks mate..any tickets left for positivity bus

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:58 PM

No worries Harrogate, if they go too aggressive (which I think they mignt) and we pick our momemts I can see us putting a few past them

• Harrogate mag

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:58 PM

No mate no frogs round here lol

• Moonraker15

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:59 PM

Hiya Harrogate Mag
    Welcome to the madhouse! If you been reading the comments you’ll know who the stirrers are.
    My prediction for tonight is 3-1 for the Toon and Joelinton to score again.
    He thinks he’s a canny player now he’s read Charlie Nicholas’ review so he might just score!
    I would love it if Villa went down!

1 2 3 9