web analytics

Striker Could Be Involved In More Games This Season – He Deserves His Chance

It was a productive night last night for striker Dwight Gayle.

Dwight came on in the second half, and within a minute, he took a good pass from Andy Carroll and slammed the ball into the back of the net, keeping at bay two Villa defenders in the process.

It was an excellent goal from Gayle, who has always been able to score goals, although not as many in the Premier League as compared to the Championship.

But maybe it’s time to give the player more playing time in this free-flowing Newcastle side, where there are many chances created in the box.

If only somebody could get in there and put the ball in the back of the net!

It’s a perfect setup for a natural goalscorer like Dwight Gayle – shown above, scoring his opportunist goal last night.

The 29-year-old has been talking to nufcTV, and this is some of what he said:

“I need to do more and I need to get more minutes and help out the team a lot more, I know I need to do that.”

“It’s been a frustrating season for me injury-wise, and hopefully I can help out the team as much as I can over the next few weeks.”

“The boys have been fantastic over the last few weeks, they’ve looked a real threat. We performed so well on Sunday (in the 3-0 win against the Blades).”

And hopefully we can keep banging on the door when we come off the bench to prove to the manager that we’re all there to help out.”

“We’ve taken a lot of pressure off ourselves in terms of looking behind us.”

“So now we can go into Sunday’s performance, give it a good go, and hopefully we can get the result.”

It was just a pity that Newcastle let in a sloppy goal after 83 minutes, and of all people, it was goalkeeper Martin Dubravka who should have done better with El Mohamady’s header from a corner.

But that’s the way it sometimes goes when you are not concentrating 100%.

Next up, we are at home again on Sunday, in the quarterfinals of the FA Cup, with a kickoff time of 6:30pm.

We have to play well in that game, and we could produce a shock result.

Don’t put it past this upbeat Newcastle side, but we will need to tighten up defensively against City.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-1 Draw Against Aston Villa

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• The Hit Man & Her

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:37 PM

Oh goody a first race

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:37 PM

MTB.
    Hibbit were you living on the leam mate.

• Jib

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:37 PM

He had been on the pitch for 94 seconds

• Toonboy_84

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:39 PM

His finish showed Joelinton and Almiron how its done. Cynical. Natural.

• The Hit Man & Her

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:39 PM

It always has to be an ex mackem though. Elmo Hammered Ears. Pah.

• hibbit

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:43 PM

amglo yes mate at first above dads shop in fewster sq then we moved to old sunderland road at heworth

• ArtyH

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:45 PM

Deserves a run until the end of the season, with A.C too!

• DaveD1000

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:46 PM

Which shop in Fewster?

• IrishRob

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:46 PM

Hit man it’s wrong to compare other businesses they bought to us. Completely different scenarios. We are zero good to them in the championship. And why would they wait around a year for us to come back up if we were even lucky enough to come back up the first year.

Processes had to be done early because if they waited until it was certain we were safe then they wouldnt be in control until December and would miss the first window.

I believe that was where the risk was and in our scenario this is where they took the risk, engaging in months of work on the assumption that we will make it to safety.

It blows my mind how ye think there is so little chance that they are actually waiting on safety, or maybe it might just be because I’m the one who’s saying it.

Either way like I’ve said for the past 6 weeks let’s just wait and see, ye have your opinions I have mine, but dont come at me with that, its only just coincidental bs when I’m proved right.

• The Hit Man & Her

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:46 PM

Rob if you read it again I said “We’ve been one of any 8 that could jockey for the bottom for a good third of it. That’s not praiseworthy.”

Is that incorrect? We’ve also got a good way to go to show we are ticketing up the table. Care to make a finish prediction? Probably not because you know what we are.

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:47 PM

Hibbit, now you got me thinking your dad’s shop.

• IrishRob

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:48 PM

I also never said once I’m right I said it’s my opinion, ye are the ones telling me I’m wrong though. Which is highly hypocritical dont ya think.

Anyways I’ve said my piece. I’ve to go take a huge dump. Laterz!

• Tackle from behind

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:48 PM

sorry, fell off the last bus….

Robleenio
    I take your point in it’s context….but

Every Bruce interview starts with him stating his brief

“Staying in the PL is our first priority”
    “We’re not there yet – mathematically”
    “another point puts us closer to safety, then we can start looking up”

Got to keep the lather down, never get too excited.

Would be nice to have more than this

• hibbit

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:48 PM

DaveD1000
    fruit & veg

• DaveD1000

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:49 PM

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:49 PM

Dave you lived on the leam as well.

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:51 PM

Hibbit, was that next to fourboys or the fruit shop.

• Tackle from behind

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:51 PM

Irishrob/Mund

Is this an argument or banter?
    Happy to await the passing of said dump for the answer.

Irishrob
    If we did get relegated we would likely storm the championship like we usually do and they would likely make a lot of money in that year anyway

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:51 PM

Fish shop.

• hibbit

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:51 PM

dave age & school

• hibbit

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:53 PM

Anglo it was the fruit shop,

• Mag52

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:53 PM

Two brief points as I see them about yesterday’s game.
    I thought Gayle tooK his goal really well. How often have we heard excuses for strikers missing chances that they hadn’t been on the pitch for long and that the chance had come too soon for them to take it. It was, I think, Gayle’s first touch of the ball. It was by no means straightforward and he made it look easy.
    The other point is that, for me, Shelvey was 100% at fault for the goal we conceded. It came in fast, Dubravka thought Shelvey should have cleared it, which he clearly should, he had no time to shout mine or anything and by the time the midfielder had completely missed his kick, the goalie had no time to react. He might still have kept it out of goal, but it would have been by luck because the ball had bounced away off some part of his body. He, and we, were, on that occasion, out of luck.

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:54 PM

Hibbit will not put the whole name R.B and sons.

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:55 PM

Hibbit meant the fish shop.

• hibbit

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:57 PM

no mate before them not sure if it was them that bought it off him or not ,

• Rotonda heights

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:57 PM

Mag52

Spot on, can’t believe that savage really laid into dubs. My reading was shelvey miss kicked and dummied his own keeper.

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:00 PM

were you in the same class as me and who was your mate at school, says head exploding.

• Assassins Inc

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:04 PM

I would start Gayle against Man City, they don’t like pace in front of them. Migs, Max and Gayle all running at you and on to balls from Jonjo could be the key to unlocking Man City I feel.
    Gayle took his goal well, not saying he’s a Shearer or like player but he sounds hungry to score more.

• Zele

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:05 PM

Gayle (and perhaps Carroll) should start against Man City.

Gayle is a natural (or a more natural) finisher than Joelinton.

The team looked very tired last night and especially Shelvey, Miggy and Saint-Max (in the final quarter). Will they recover in time ?

I think Bruce should go for it against Man City as we are almost certainly safe.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:08 PM

Can’t see Gayle getting into the 11, for a few games at least, unless it’s rotation.

We’ve changed the set up largely to get support to Joelinton, who has been more of a goal threat and better in open play with the extra man in midfield.

He’d have to be pants for about 5 games from here before we’d see Gayle get the nod ahead of him I reckon, or similarly ahead of Almiron.

It’ll be Joel to start, with Carroll his direct understudy, and Gayle on for Almiron as a second striker if we are chasing a goal.

Bruce is not gonna all of a sudden lose faith in Joelinton so soon after changing the system to better accommodate him, working so hard with him in training and seeing some more positive signs for the club’s 40 million quid investment.

Gayle is always a fairly decent option off the bench, for a middling EPL side, but he’s got one foot out the door.