web analytics



Bruce Says Four Magpies Face Late Fitness Tests For Sunday With Two Confirmed Out



Steve Bruce has given his press conference for the FA Cup quarter-finals against Manchester City. It looks like it could be anywhere from just two unavailable to as many as six out for Sunday.

Bruce is still short at center-back, so we expect he’ll rotate Fabian Schar in for either Jamaal Lascelles or Federico Fernandez since both played two full matches this past week. He does have young Kelland Watts in reserve if things get desperate.

Today’s training session is a big one for the Longstaffs, who have been unavailable this week due to knocks. Both Matt Ritchie and Isaac Hayden were taken off with knocks against Aston Villa, they’ll face late fitness tests for a place on Sunday.

We think Bruce will use more of his squad on Sunday. Ritchie and Hayden seem likely candidates to be replaced in any case. We’d like to see Valentino Lazaro come in on the right-wing as he did against West Brom in the fifth round of the FA Cup.

Hayden’s ball-winning ability could be a miss, but we suppose Nabil Bentaleb can do a job in the role. One of the Longstaff’s could also be brought in for Shelvey, who probably shouldn’t be playing three times in 8 days.

It’ll be a very interesting team selection for Manchester City, and we haven’t much of a clue of what Bruce’s thinking is.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-1 Draw Against Aston Villa

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City In FA Cup?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

28 comments so far

  • Mattroge

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM

    Comment #1

    You can still give out contracts during a takeover. Caulkin wrote about this weeks back and said there’d been discussions between the buying and selling parties. Nothing to worry about.

    1
  • Mund

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM

    Comment #2

    would love to see Sean in the side over Shelvey

    1
  • Northumbrian

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:36 AM

    Comment #3

    Hope we get at least one of the brothers back just to help out the mids.

    0
  • WLtoon

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:36 AM

    Comment #4

    The Princes Pal, from previous@17

    Yep i know mate, nobody has a clue, but we can make our own minds up about what the hell is going on re takeover..
    I`m off the bus i`m afraid. Done.

    1
  • Lee Charnley Bunga Party

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:37 AM

    Comment #5

    Would like it if Sean could come back to some form we badly need him to

    Him and Hayden together seems to be the best blend we have in midfield both are good in the air and cover some amount of ground!

    Sean also will ghost into positions to get on the end of things it was him that helped win the penalty against City last season by closing opposition down

    I wonder if you could get Sean , Hayden and Shelvey into the same midfield in a 433? Would be interesting to see how that would work

    3
  • Mund

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:37 AM

    Comment #6

    mattroge

    i think the fans who believe it’s a bad thing and it’s all doom and gloom are the same people who ran out and bought a crate of toilet roll and 100 loafs of bread….

    4
  • Kevin Vegan

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:38 AM

    Comment #7

    A 4 year contract during a takeover just seems so unlikely. We don’t have a new DOF, manager, scouting team or anyone else assembled to help guide these decisions on behalf of a new buyer. If it was a 1 year extension, fair enough. Even contracts with optional extensions or extensions triggered after x number of appearances would make sense. But a 4 year deal when the club is supposed to be in the process of a sale makes no sense to me at all.

    2
  • Mund

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:38 AM

    Comment #8

    it makes absolutely complete sense to me

    7
  • Mund

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:39 AM

    Comment #9

    manquillo makes total sense i don’t understand why people don’t get that

    12
  • Mattroge

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:41 AM

    Comment #10

    I think Manquillo deserves the four years, he’s been a big plus for me this season.

    Handing out contracts is a positive. It’s protecting the prospective investment.

    If we were selling players on the other hand then that would mean all bets were off. Soon as we sold Perez last year my heart sank because I knew that meant something had went amiss with BZG.

    13
  • geordietom

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:42 AM

    Comment #11

    Mund #9 …

    agree mate …

    1
  • The Prince's Mate

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:43 AM

    Comment #12

    Sorry, missed the Harrison xpress

    Northumbrian from previous

    Northumbrian @14

    Who knows mate… what I do know is someone is extracting the watery stuff
    I honestly believe chairmen from certain clubs?? will be doing all they can to put a spanner in the works.
    When/If this goes through there could be a lot of jealous/worried people out there
    .

    1
  • WLtoon

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:43 AM

    Comment #13

    Can understand Manquillo getting a contract but not Carroll, total waste of money. Its not as though we are rolling in it.

    2
  • Gothmog's Pyjamas

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:44 AM

    Comment #14

    KV

    You are thinking that the decision is solely the club’s to make in terms of contract length, Manquillo would in no way sign a 1 year deal – no player signs for 1 year in their prime years and playing in the PL. Players sign for a minimum of 3 years, the majority 4 or 5 years.

    So If the player wont take a 1 year deal then we either let him go for free or sign him up for, in this case, 4 years.

    As he is our best RB and the club wont be buying 2 new RBs this summer, then keeping him makes sense and move on Yedlin and Krafth.

    5
  • Northumbrian

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:45 AM

    Comment #15

    I’m pleased he’s been signed up, if he’d left we would only have yedlin at right back, dread the thought.

    2
  • Frank pingles come sock

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:46 AM

    Comment #16

    NUFC FOR SALE

    MY APOLOGIES FOR YESTERDAY

    You could be right…..

    Toon takeover ………

    From decent source (not me)

    The situation is complex. The PL are shitting themselves about lawsuits either way and the government won’t assist. The latest is, it’s going to drag on. At the beginning of the process, the piracy issue was a concern, the human rights stuff not so much. However, the piracy complexities meant it would have failed the owners and directors test if they wanted an absolute decision, especially after WTO report. Apparently the PL are giving KSA time to resolve the issues and ensure it’s sustained before approving. Good news and bad news really. It could go on for a while yet !

    Who long is a while ? – I asked

    Suggestion -A month (Maybe 6 weeks)

    Again take all with a pinch of salt

    3
  • Northumbrian

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:47 AM

    Comment #17

    TPM, can’t remember what I said but whatever it was I totally agree anyway lol.

    0
  • lesh

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:47 AM

    Comment #18

    There’s been talk for some time about the formation of a European or world super league and of course the so-called big club’s would be interested in joining such a competition. Would they be keen on another club joining their elite group? I think not.

    A super league could pose a threat to the EPL and let’s assume it could be hosted by Saudi Arabia – would the EPL be keen in encouraging Saudi development?

    Just a thought.

     

    0
  • Mund

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM

    Comment #19

    we need to reinforce at RB no doubt about it so tying manquillo down on a 4 year contract a player who has progressed and went from (in my eyes) total liability to wait there the lad looks good and deserves his place in the team.

    Do we want the impression we are to big for this player and that player? I certainly don’t want that and if anything over the last 10 year or so with Ashley it’s made me humble and appreciate things better.

    The lad deserves a contract and i’m thinking of him being a squad player in the future not our permanent RB

    4
  • Mattroge

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM

    Comment #20

    Gothmog @ 14, spot-on mate. Some people are just instantly hitting the panic button.

    1
  • lesh

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:50 AM

    Comment #21

    Kevin

    It makes more sense to re-sign a player – even if for four years. There’s no transfer fee involved and thus the expense is reduced.

    6
  • Mund

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:51 AM

    Comment #22

    looks like the wait is on then

    the worst thing about that is having to hear all the doubters start crying

    1
  • Mattroge

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:52 AM

    Comment #23

    Frank most of that seems pretty logical.

    The part I disagree with is failing the O & D test on piracy. In order to fail they would need to directly tie the piracy to PIF which has proved impossible. The whole piracy angle is simply to appease Bein in my opinion.

    4
  • lesh

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:52 AM

    Comment #24

    Frank pingles come sock

    There’s no real need to drag things until a final agreement on piracy is made.

    Surely a conditional approval could be granted?

    1
  • geordietom

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:56 AM

    Comment #25

    keep the faith …

    it’ll happen when it happens …

    1
  • Kevin Vegan

    Jun 26, 2020 at 11:58 AM

    Comment #26

    To clarify, I have no issue with the decision by the club to keep Manquillo on. I’d have done the same. A 4 year deal is a good bit of business for them.

    What I am saying is that it casts serious doubts on the takeover as I can’t see new owners approving this. With FFP rules being what they are, having a player on the books for 4 years means we are potentially then stuck with that player taking up wages. Same thing happened with Colback and Saivet. Manquillo’s decent, but donwe really think Saudi owners would lose sleep if he left the club? They could pick up a replacement for £8-10mil easily enough.

    I just can’t see how this means anything other than that there is no sale currently in progress.

    0
  • Anglo Saxon

    Jun 26, 2020 at 12:00 PM

    Comment #27

    Never understood this super league crap are we saying playing abroad, fans having to pay fortunes to travel to Europe, don’t make sense.

    2
  • Nicky the ball tosser

    Jun 26, 2020 at 12:12 PM

    Comment #28

    Manquillo is a good footballer. He may not be our first choice in an improved side, beyond say next season, but he is at very least good cover in the position. Obviously if you sign a player on a new deal, he becomes an asset, as opposed to a free agent, who can leave for nothing. I don’t see Manquillo as a Colback or Saivet type liability. I think he’ll either be useful as a starter or cover, and also good enough to attract a buyer should he become surplus.

    5


You must log in to post a comment.