web analytics

Defender Expects Tough Game For Newcastle On Sunday Night

Javier Manquillo has just signed a new four-year deal that will keep him at Newcastle for the next four years.

And he may get another start against Manchester City in the FA Cup quarter-finals against reigning FA Cup holders Manchester City on Sunday night.

There again, Steve Bruce could bring in DeAndre Yedlin, Emil Krafth, or Valentino Lazaro for a run-out.

This is what Manquillo (shown above) had to say about this tough tie to nufcTV:

“I think it’s going to be really tough game and at the same time a vital one for us. We’ll have to be fully focused and concentrating hard because we know we’re up against a great opponent.”

“The best way of defending against them (Manchester City) is to stick together as a group and to work hard as a team.”

“We’ve got to keep our concentration throughout the entire 90 minutes because if you lose focus for the slightest moment, they will score against you almost at will.”

“That’s why it’s such an important occasion for us. I think it’s been a long time without lifting a trophy.”

“In what’s left of the league campaign this season, I don’t think we can either climb the table or drop dramatically.”

“So I reckon that the cup is the most important thing for us now.”

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City In FA Cup?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Northumbrian

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:51 AM

First?

• Mattroge

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:53 AM

Frank from previous:

Most of what you’ve posted seems pretty logical.

The part I disagree with is failing the O & D test on piracy. In order to fail the bid the PL would need to directly tie the piracy to PIF which has proved impossible- both in court and in the WTO ruling.

The whole piracy angle is simply to appease Bein in my opinion.

• jane

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:53 AM

“I`ve always believed the takeover was real, i just think now its hit the buffers, for whatever reason, probably the piracy issue.”

almost just need to change a few letters 🙂

I`ve always believed the takeover was real, i just think now its hit the buffers, for whatever reason, probably the pricy issue.

• lesh

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:54 AM

I see from the Steve Wraith related link on an earlier thread that he’s an actor. Another narcissist?

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:59 AM

To clarify, I have no issue with the decision by the club to keep Manquillo on. I’d have done the same. A 4 year deal is a good bit of business for them.

What I am saying is that it casts serious doubts on the takeover as I can’t see new owners approving this. With FFP rules being what they are, having a player on the books for 4 years means we are potentially then stuck with that player taking up wages. Same thing happened with Colback and Saivet. Manquillo’s decent, but donwe really think Saudi owners would lose sleep if he left the club? They could pick up a replacement for £8-10mil easily enough.

I just can’t see how this means anything other than that there is no sale currently in progress.

• geordietom

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:59 AM

i’d rest a few of our players on sunday to put the stronger team out on wednesday night …

• geordietom

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM

What’s a narcissistic hooker’s favorite state?
    Idaho.

• cyprus

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:02 PM

AC knocking on your door with THAT beard can be intimidating.

Once he gets what you want, do something about it mate.

• toon22

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:02 PM

Business as usual
    Welcome to the turds relegation circus

• geordietom

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:02 PM

My psychiatrist said I have a narcissistic personality
    I don’t know what that means, but must be pretty good if I’ve got it.

• Mund

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:02 PM

Comparing Manquillo to Colback and Saivet wowza

• cyprus

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:02 PM

He gets- you get

• geordietom

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:03 PM

My friends always say that I have narcissistic tendencies. I should get mad…
    …but I love when they talk about me.

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM

Repost again ffs

Never understood this super league crap are we saying playing abroad, fans having to pay fortunes to travel to Europe, don’t make sense.

• Mund

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM

If it saves the new owners 20 mill to put better else where then makes total sense to keep a player who has cemented his place with good strong performances as a squad option while we sign Hakimi (I’m taking piss before you cry we won’t get him)

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:05 PM

Mund

That was an example, not a comparison mate.

• #cans

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:05 PM

Difference between Manquillo and Colback/Saivet is that we can probably sell Manqs

• geordietom

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:06 PM

An engineer was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to her and said, “If you kiss me, I’ll turn into a handsome prince.”
    She bent over, picked up the frog and put it in her pocket. The frog spoke up again and said, “If you kiss me and turn me back into a handsome prince, I will stay with you for one week.” The engineer took the frog out of her pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog then cried out, “If you kiss me and turn me back into a prince, I’ll be your devoted boyfriend.” Again the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into her pocket. Finally, the frog asked, “What is the matter? I’ve told you I’m a handsome prince, and that I’ll be your devoted boyfriend. Why won’t you kiss me?” The engineer said, “Look, I’m an engineer. I don’t have time for a boyfriend, but a talking frog……that’s cool.

• Mund

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:08 PM

Example or comparison is the same exact result

• geordietom

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:08 PM

What do you call a frog hanging upside down?
    Mistle-toad

• geordietom

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:10 PM

A couple of guys are chilling when suddenly one of them looks at the clock and freaks out, “I gotta go back and do the dishes or my wife will beat me”. The group reply with “damn, Mike, you let your wife beat you?”. Mike replied:
    “of course not! I always do the dishes!

• magpie6699

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:10 PM

I don’t get the panic and despair I see on some sites, that because we’ve offered Manquillo a 4 year contract it must mean trouble with the takeover? Manquillo has proved himself a decent Premier League squad player at least and until we actually have new people owning and running the club, the show (shambles?) must go on. It’s not as if we’ve gone out and spent £20 million on a new player. The impact for us on the FFP must be very little.
    Having said that, I have no idea why it’s taking so long. I cannot see why the EPL would lay themselves open to a huge legal challenge, as opposed to raking more money into the system, assuming that the few wrinkles around piracy have been sorted out. They would have to have a legally watertight reason for rejection – not just a “on balance perhaps” excuse.

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:11 PM

An example of comparison is tasting different years of pinot noir wine back to back and discussing their differences.
    Think you got that one Mund.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:12 PM

#cans

There’s loads of differences mate. I wasn’t saying they are identical cases. Just saying new owners, DOFs and managers won’t want to see too many players on long-term contracts, as they will likely look to rebuild the squad. I don’t see the Saudi PIF would be at all precious about Manquillo, who is valued at less than £5m. This looks like an Ashley move through and through for me.

• geordietom

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:15 PM

just had a text off a good mates wife . he had a heart attack yesterday had a stent put in , and here’s us arguing about football …

• Bants

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:16 PM

Geordietomato,

I was disappointed that following yesterday’s ground breaking revelation that Mrs Tom had called the hairdressers for an appointment, that we didn’t receive an update.

It was fascinating stuff and I was hooked from the start. I was checking in every hour for an update – but nothing.

We should know what followed. Did she get a call back? Was she granted an appointment? How long does she have to wait?

Please keep us informed of developments ‘cos #shitepattermatters

• Mund

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:17 PM

Nobody can speak for any new prospective owner nobody has any idea what plan any owner has in place so to say these owners won’t want this or that? How do you know?

Who knows and every owner is different and have different ideas.

• Bants

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:17 PM

I’m confident and staying confident that MrsTom will be sporting a new ‘do’ soon.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:21 PM

Manquillo was on just under £2m a year on his previous contract. My guess is that the new 4 year deal will include a significant pay rise (as we have all noted, he’s looking a much better player than when he signed that last deal) and will cost in the region of £10m over the next 4 years. He’s a good player but he’s only valued at less than £4m and would not be difficult to replace. If this happened, it’s very likely to be because the penny-pincher wants him locked down long-term so he can save some cash on a replacement, nkt because our super-ambitious, super-rich prospective new owners see him as a crucial part of their future plans.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:23 PM

New blog rule:

Nobody can say the new owners won’t do things if those statements cast doubts on the takeover. We are only allowd to say they will do things that make the takeover appear more likely. All dissenters will face trial by blog police.

• geordietom

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:23 PM

bants …

your a dick …

why have a go at my missus , have a go at me but having a go a my family not something i would do insult peoples family …

• geordietom

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:26 PM

Bants you gonna hang around and count how many hearts you get …

its what you usually do …

• Munster Mag

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:16 PM

Bants, its amazing how being a tosser gets you plenty of hearts. Well done.