web analytics

Defender’s Patience And Persistence Pays Off – Good Example To Younger Players

At the beginning of the season, it looked almost certain that Javier Manquillo would become a free agent when his three-year deal expired at Newcastle at the end of this month.

But the former Spanish U21 International, signed by Rafa Benitez because he couldn’t get in many of his real targets in the summer of 2017 following promotion, has had a good season.

Javier has proved himself to be a good right wing-back and manager Steve Bruce has been impressed with the 26-year-old Madrid-born defender.

As we have reported yesterday Andy Carroll had been given a one-year extension for next season and Javier has been given a four-year contract to stay on Tyneside.

He was initially given a three-year deal back in 2017 so we are a little bit surprised it’s as much as a four-year deal.

That’s because there is uncertainty about whether he will be able to get a game once the new owners come in and strengthen the squad this summer.

But the club cannot freeze on these things waiting for the Premier League to get off the fence on the takeover, and Newcastle are doing the right thing by moving ahead with these deals.

It’s an excellent deal for Javier, who always wanted to stay on Tyneside rather than return to Spain where several clubs were interested in him.

This is what Javier (shown above), who was on loan at Sunderland in the 2016-2017 season had to say to nufcTV about his new deal”

“I’ve been really happy since I first arrived and so with this new four-year contract my family and I are overjoyed to be here for another four seasons.”

“From the moment I got here, I’ve always said that I really like this city, and everyone has always treated me superbly well. “

“And so, after the three years, I’ve spent here already, well, of course, I’d like to stay for longer.”

“My little lad was born here and I was very pleased about that, and it all went smoothly. I’m so happy that he was born here as it’s always going to be a very special memory for me.”

Manquillo has become the first choice at right-back having started both of the last two games, and he has put in some solid performances this season.

Javier’s professional and positive attitude is a good example to younger players that you just have to keep your head down and train hard when you are out of the side and good things can happen.

He also seems to love Newcastle and so does his family, so it’s always nice to hear that from our players.

And he’s now got a Geordie son, and that cannot be bad!

• hibbit

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:14 AM

MY LUCKY DAY LOL

• Mund

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:15 AM

please no political topics keep it relevant

• Jib

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:16 AM

Steve Bruce on Hayden and Ritchie injuries: “We will see how they are on the next 48 hours. Yesterday was just a recovery session.”

• Mund

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:16 AM

comes in 3’s

• WLtoon

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:17 AM

Mund,from previous.

Talk football then, no more politics, BLM or any of that shite. Pure football suits me fine.

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:17 AM

Hibbit anything to do with sex mate.

• Northumbrian

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:17 AM

Manquillo Jr playing for nufc in the future??.

• Mund

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:19 AM

anglo

haha straight as an arrow

• Mattroge

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:21 AM

Bill’s from previous. Just ignore him. He won’t listen. Convinced himself that the takeover is a stunt.

• lesh

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:22 AM

Hibbit

Today’s the day??

• Northumbrian

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:22 AM

The frog got inside his head.

• Insh'Allah

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:23 AM

Anglo, I am but I’m pissing off to have some beers at the Belgian Beer Cafe and Muse now.

I may be a tad tipsy later!

#alcofrol!

• archaeomag

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:23 AM

I imagine the frog will have something irrelevant to say about this 🙂

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:24 AM

Micky apologies mate but need to ask a question will catch you later cheers.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:25 AM

I’m good with football chat, too.

Bill’s son is back, I replied on previous but have read up a bit more after finding an article that wasn’t paywalled.

I looked at Jassim’s statement and it seems that he only said him and Staveley had agreed in principal to split any commission for brokering a deal involving NUFC, and not that they had found buyers and a takeover was in progress.

• archaeomag

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:26 AM

@Insh’Allah
    Please excuse my failure to comment on the magnificence of your new garb, you look resplendent.

• WLtoon

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:27 AM

Whats been said in court re takeover? Have i missed something?

• hibbit

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:28 AM

Sorry lads nowt to do with sex or football, just a bit of good news i’m really happy with,

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:29 AM

Question… Would any of you sell a business that made a steady £50m profit a year for just £300m? This is the decision facing Ashley. That is an incredible return for his investment. Much higher return than gold, oil or property.

Ashley has no need to sell as long as the money is still coming in. He is a businessman first and foremost. He wants profits, and our club is a great source of them.

• Mund

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:32 AM

no point trying to convince the vegan of takeover being real he will fight you all day on that one

• Mattroge

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:32 AM

Ignore the troll folks!

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:33 AM

WL

This Ali Jassim fella has said in court that he and Staveley had an agreement in place over splitting the profits of any brokerage deal if they found a buyer together.

It doesn’t confirm whether or not they actually found a buyer, though.

• WLtoon

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM

Once the Saudi,s get the piracy issues sorted and can provide steady evidence that dodgy streaming has been nipped in the bud, then i think they will buy a club. Whether they decide to come back in for us is another matter.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:35 AM

“Hey let’s talk about football”

“Sure. What do you think about X?”

“Hey nobody talk to this guy about X”

Erm yeah try all you want mate, I have ever right to post my thoughts here. It’s not YOUR blog…

• simon376

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:36 AM

Hibbit
    Good to hear, we all need good news, makes the day so much more enjoyable

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:38 AM

WL

That’s what I thought, too. They’ve been linked with OM and MUFC too, and I don’t doubt they will have considered other clubs. They were likely linked with us because we are for sale, same thing happens when a player gets transfer listed: interested parties make enquiries and rumours appear, but I don’t see why they would be precious about our club at the end of the day, sadly. If they miss out on us, they would quite likely turn their attentions elsewhere.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:38 AM

Bikes’ll inevitably throw you off from time to time.I very nearly died about a month ago, coming a gutsa on the downhill run into Sannomiya Kobe, with a friggin city bus on right my tail.

Stood up on the pedals, freewheeling, and one of the cranks came off.

Fell nuts first onto the frame and chest down across the handlebars, and weaved desperately over two lanes and back while braking, before hitting the deck, hard, with the bus screeching to a halt feet behind.

Not great, at 56 years of age, on a fairly crowded city street. Still, picked myself up, wiped away a little blood, dusted myself down and sauntered away, after a fashion.

Been a bit knocked about ever since though, physically. My pride’s intact, life’s been giving that good a beating for years, so its pretty resilient. I’m basically just cracking on, with an occasional wince. Think I might have cracked a rib.

• Anglo Saxon

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:38 AM

Footy talk, my prediction for Sunday 5-6 goals to Man City NUFC 0.

• Northumbrian

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:44 AM

Jassim agreed to split when stavely was trying to broker a deal for nufc but when she managed to get the pif involved and took a stake she became a principal as in being a part of the buying side and not a broker
    So Mr jassims brokering skills were not needed any more.

• WLtoon

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:45 AM

Kev V,

Thanks for the info, it does`nt change my opinion re takeover. I gave it til last Friday for the announcement and im done with it.
    From now on i consider the deal dead and wont be expecting any announcement any time soon.
    Its been a total farce. Not good for the old ticker.
    Everyone has their own cut off point and i have reached mine, no more pinning my hopes on new owners.

• Mattroge

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:46 AM

The deal is already agreed. Just awaiting PL approval. Nobody can back out. They can’t turn their attention to another club. I know this for a fact.

• magicmac54

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:53 AM

Good morning Kevin V, Do you have any relatives in Ireland mate? HWTL

• jimiley

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:54 AM

10 weeks and no decision.
    A decision has been made but nobody is telling us.
    Read the stars.
    Manquillo gets a 4 year extension and Carroll gets another year.
    Charmless is pulling the strings a few days before he gets the sack? Or before he gets a contract extension off mashers.
    The whole business is a farce. The league is taking the piss.

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:56 AM

What the hell is the PL waiting for to approve it really?? It’s clear that the KSA are sorting / sorted out their piracy issues so what do the PL need to wait on to give it the approval? So sick of hearing that we’re still waiting for the approval. Just sign the fking thing off already so we can become great again!

• jimiley

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:04 AM

There will be no decision. We will be left to work it out over the coming months.

• Dondatta13

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:10 AM

Maybe, just maybe…

The Premier League were waiting for their champions to be crowned?

Let the winners (Liverpool) rightly take the spotlight and deserved plaudits and then let the real story unfold 😉