web analytics

Report – Newcastle To Make First Summer Signing

Back in April, there were reports that Newcastle were lining up local lad Mark Gillespie as a free agent this summer.

The 28-year-old had become a free agent are leaving Scottish Premiership side Motherwell. He joined them as a free agent from Walsall in 2018.

Gillespie is a Carlisle Academy product but was born in Newcastle. His move to his hometown club had been in the works before the coronavirus and Newcastle’s takeover threw it into doubt.

However, Sky Sports reporter Keith Downie is reporting that the goalkeeper has agreed to join Newcastle on a three-year deal. He will replace Rob Elliot, who will depart Newcastle after nine years at the club on June 30th.

This has to be a dream move for Mark. Though he will find it a challenge to get much playing time with Martin Dubravka the clear number one at the moment.

However, if this report is accurate, then we are thrilled that Newcastle have added another Geordie to the ranks.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City In FA Cup?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:58 PM

KV

If you believe it was ever really up for sale when he said it, 2008 or 2009 was the first time.

• Mund

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:59 PM

vegan

eh what was that post about?? you are overestimating your importance

• toon22

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:59 PM

When you think about it we were so lucky to get AC to sign a years zero hours contract
    I’m betting Barcelona are gutted to have missed out
    Same goes for the keeper , bet he was being chased by every top club in Europe

• Novocastrian66

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:00 PM

Mund; When you do home improvements do you buy something worse than what you already have?
    What I’m saying is that we should be trying to improve the team. To do that we should be looking to recruit players better than we already have.
    What you should ask yourself is would be Dubravka be an improvement on Darlow as 2nd choice if we bought someone better than Dubravka?

• Jib

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:00 PM

I’d like to see Leeds back in the PL
    I think Bielsa will do well

• toon22

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:02 PM

No point in debating it
    There’s people who won’t accept the turds done this for decades
    Want to believe this year’s fairy tale regardless

Don’t forget to snap up those season tickets

• Mund

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:02 PM

Novo

i agree and obviously with his age we have to be looking at the next in line. It’s just the way you said it i felt he deserved a bit more respect. All good tho.

We need him for the next 2 years at least as he is our number 1 and one of the most influential players.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:03 PM

GP

So essentially 12 years since the club was first “up for sale” and he still hasn’t found a buyer? It’s almost like he doesn’t actually want to sell 😉

• Novocastrian66

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:04 PM

GP; I’m not knocking Carroll or Manquillo. I like them both. I wish Carroll could stay fit. Nevertheless I think it is a indication the deal is dead. It’s just an opinion, I truly hope I’m wrong.

• WLtoon

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:05 PM

Munster,

That is exactly my point, it has`nt been blocked YET

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:05 PM

In terms of buying players during a takeover process, Kompany signed for Man City August 22nd, September 1st Abu Dhabi agreed the deal to buy City. Thats a week and a bit before the takeover was agreed…..

• Lindisfarne

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:08 PM

I think NUFC should be looking at Adam Idah of Norwich if they want to continue with one big striker up front.

• magpie6699

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:08 PM

I’ve said it before. People are reading too much into the contracts for Manquillo, Carroll and now Gillespie – as if they are a negative sign for the takeover. Players have left, others have been kept till the end of the season at least and others are getting contract extensions. Not much BIG business going on. It’s better than all the rubbish about buying Messi or getting such and such a manager there was a few weeks ago, as if in a NDA situation with completion yet to be announced there would be all that going on!
    I think the PL are a total waste of space with this inordinate delay but I still can’t see how they could have a LEGALLY watertight case (ie one which guarantees they won’t be sued to death) for rejection.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:09 PM

The point above being that if we signed someone right now for £6m, plenty on here would be claiming it proves the takeover isnt going ahead, that its dead, Ashkley has signed him etc

But in reality it proves nothing, some deals still go through and takeovers still happen after.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:10 PM

Mund

It’s hard not to have an ego when the fan club gives me so much praise.

I was just trying to shrug off the hate with some banter. I heard that was accepted here, but maybe I should go back to being a “pedantic, boring know it all, stick in the mud” instead and just have another argument. Because that’s what this thread really needs.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:11 PM

Anyway, who fancies Norwich to upset United here? Not me…

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:12 PM

“The other united”, I should say…

• West Lancs Geordie

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:13 PM

If most Toon fans are like me they are sick to death of the unproven rumours that as to whether the takeover is on or off and the worst offender appears to be George Caulkin of The Athletic.
    Please ,please, please George do not report anything else about the takeover/fakeover until you have concrete information that the deal is definitely on or off.
    Personally now if Masters and the Premier League are going to veto it then it’s now time to tell us one way or another so that we can all move on.
    The same thing applies to all these unproven rumours about the various superstars we are supposed to be after.
    Until an actual takeover takes place then all such matters are in limbo.
    End of!

• WLtoon

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:13 PM

Kev V@80

Cant see either way how those deals sways any individuals takeover decision, certainly not mine. With the keeper, all we have done is replace like for like, and Manquillo has been half decent this season, even if we do get new owners i could easily see him as a reliable stand in for a big money RB.
    Carroll has been given a 1 year extension, no big deal imo.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:16 PM

KV

Norwich might have a little chance, Man U made 8 changes with Rashford, Pogba, Martial on the bench..

• geordietom

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:16 PM

kev …
    we dont say united we say man u , theres only one united and thats us …

• Darnik

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:17 PM

Harrogate
    Sorry mate my cousin turned up with 2 firesticks for me to do, I can’t remember the names of the pubs but we did most of them, even over the marina loved the place

• hibbit

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:18 PM

Novocastrian66
    if carrol could stay fit he’d still be at west ham on a £120k a week not with us on a pay as you play contract

• Harrogate mag

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:18 PM

Did you book it tom

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:19 PM

WL

Carrol’s extension I could see. A one year deal seems like a stop-gap, no real commitment for the club. A four year deal and then bringing in a 3rd choice keeper (probably 4th as we have Woodman returning soon) is just not something I can see us doing 3 months in. Same with the 4 year deal for Manquillo. I could maybe see 2-3 year extension on a higher wage, even a 2 year deal with an automatic extension after a certain number of appearances, but a 4 year deal for a player that is towards the upper end of our pay scale anyway just makes no sense to me. Hope I’m wrong, but no reason to think I am at this point and an ever-growing pile of reasons to doubt it.

• Harrogate mag

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:20 PM

Darnik..Titan streams by any chance lol

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:20 PM

GT

Already corrected myself mate. I’m good with man u or manure 🙂

• West Lancs Geordie

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:21 PM

Well Kevin Vegan the Bookies say you can have 7/2 on Norwich beating Man U but 15/1 yes FIFTEEN to One for Toon beating City
    A much better bet?

• geordietom

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:21 PM

Harrogate mag…

not yet mate still undecided have to think about wor lasses health issues . plenty time yet mate …

• WLtoon

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:21 PM

Love to see Norwich win tonight. maybe even get to the final. They won`t be the first or last team to reach the cup final and get relegated in the same seasons.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:21 PM

GP

You never know then. Martial was on fire in the week for them so he’ll be missed there.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:22 PM

West Lancs

Toon get my bet 50p there every day of the week!

• archaeomag

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:22 PM

0@tom
    Full time Wum, do not be ensnared
    ;
    My ex would eventually say something wicked about my mother – if you keep raising the stakes you will eventually get a rise 😉

• Harrogate mag

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:22 PM

Makes sense mate

• geordietom

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:23 PM

archaeomag wtf are you on about …

• West Lancs Geordie

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:26 PM

KV yeah but contracts worth very little these days. If a player wants to go and another club wants him then the contract is normally ended provided the Club are happy with the fee. E.g New owners no Manquillo , Carroll and many others. Just means the Club can ask a fee rather than letting a player go for NOWT.
    Just sick of all this seat of the pants reporting. Who can you actually believe these days?

• geordietom

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:28 PM

does anyone understand what Shakespeares sister ( archaeomag ) is on about thinks he’s above everyone on here … ffffing div…

• DaveD1000

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:28 PM

Tom
    ask your lass if you can put your foot down……. 🙂

• West Lancs Geordie

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:28 PM

Well KV they are decent odds but I’d rather lose £7.50 to see them play in the Semi Final to be honest

• Harrogate mag

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:29 PM

Think tipping point must have finished