web analytics

It Wasn’t To Be – Too Many Mistakes Against A Top Side – But The Will And Fight Were There

You cannot make mistakes against a team as good as Manchester City and Newcastle made two big ones last night in losing 2-0 in the FA Cup quester-final.

After defending well in the opening half Swiss International Fabian Schar needlessly pushed Gabriel Jesus in the box and it was a penalty.

What was Schar thinking?

Maybe this lack of discipline is why he has lost his starting place in the side – but it was both deliberate and stupid.

Kevin de Bruyne made no mistake from the spot-kick, sending Darlow the wrong way.

And then when we were 1-0 down in the second half more brilliance from Allan Saint-Maximin created a great chance for Dwight Gayle from six yards out but he hit the ball over the bar for an incredible miss.

A minute or so later it was Sterling who hit a superb drive past the impressive Newcastle number two goalkeeper Karl Darlow to put the game to bed.

It was disappointing for our fans.

Looking at the game on the negative side, we cannot make those mistakes against a top side like City.

Kevin de Bruyne scoring from penalty

But on the positive side, we held the star-filled Macnsheter City side for long stretches, and certainly, the will and effort was there from the lads.

We lacked some class in the side, which hopefully we can fix this summer.

It just was not to be, which is a pity because we would have played the up-and-down Arsenal side in the semi-finals and could have made the final.

But that’s all woulda coulda shoulda and means nothing.

It was not to be – and we were just not at our best or good enough last night.

But it’s nothing to get too upset about if we can get back on the winning track at Bournemouth on Wednesday night as the games are coming quick and fast.

Bournemouth seem too good a side to be in the regulation zone and it will be another tough game for us.

But it will be an opportunity for players like Federico Fernandez and Martin Dubravka to come back into the side and hopefully, we can keep a clean sheet.

Also, Steve Bruce was clear after the game about the takeover – it’s now getting a bit ridiculous and the Premier League need to make a decision.

If they turn the deal down, they should remember the team we played last night is owned by the Qatar Royal family who have poured billions into the side since their takeover back in August 2008.

It would be unfair for the Premier League to turn the Newcastle takeover down because of the politics going on between the two kingdoms of Qatar and Saudi Arabia

And if they do block the deal they will be accused of looking for a good reason (for over 11 weeks) to turn the deal down and break the hearts of thousands of Newcastle fans around the world.

Maybe there’s a disagreement at the top as to whether the deal should go through?

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In FA Cup Quarter-Final Defeat?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Thump

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:25 AM

Steve Bruce: “I think [Gillespie] was signed in the last 24 hours”

Think?

• toon22

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:30 AM

Who decided to buy some 3rd choice keeper from a team in Scotland on a free transfer ?
    The Saudis ?

Or is this just standard practice for a club waiting to be sold any day now ?

Hes not bothered investing while he wasnt selling us why now ?

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:30 AM

Ed

Man city is UAE not Qatar sir.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:30 AM

Thump

His short-term memory is shot to bits mate. Too many cabbages to the head.

• toon22

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:30 AM

Thump

Theres a good reason one of the fans hoyed a cabbage at him at Villa

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:31 AM

Toon22

Exactly mate. Would you buy new seat covers for a car you’d already sold?

• toon22

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:31 AM

Gothmog’s Pyjamas

If it wasnt forr the turd deciding to get hammered and hoy up everywhere we would have been bought by those people from the UAE
    Its quite possible the roles would have been reversed yesterday

All but for the parasite

• toon22

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:33 AM

KV

Yep
    Its like selling your car and deciding to change the tyres and charging the buyer after the price has been agreed without asking

• Mund

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:33 AM

Look at the cute kids go

• JohnReese

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:34 AM

Another day of the Vegan and the Frog virtually sucking each other off. Guess I’ll be giving the blog a wide berth today.

• Mund

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:35 AM

The frog is giving the vegan a reach around or is it the other way round?

• jon.c

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:35 AM

The P L cant make a decision on the takeover and hope Ashley will pull the plug and they will walk away and save
    there red faces

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:35 AM

GP

I recall a few weeks ago being told I wasn’t a football fan because I thought City’s owners were Saudi not UAE (I know this wasn’t you by the way)

I wonder if those same people will say the same about Ed. I hope not because that would be daft. Everyone makes mistakes and this is a pretty simple one to make.

• carltoon

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:36 AM

Every Newcastle United fan HATES ASHLEY, EVERY FAN WANTS HIM OUT. WE DIDN’T WANT BRUCE, ! why are you destroying the blog.

• Mund

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:37 AM

carltoon

Well said

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:38 AM

Mund

You still didn’t respond to my post where I demonstrated you attacking me out of nowhere several times… Hmm how curious. It’s almost like you don’t want to acknowledge the facts.

Rather than replying, you try to turn people against me again instead claiming I was making irrelevant posts that aren’t about football. You pointed to my first post of the day. That post says:

“People still trying to pretend MA isn’t ruining our club for the sake of his profits. It’s painfully obvious. He hasn’t really invested in staff, facilities, infrastructure or players in over a decade. Where do people think that money is going?”

Now tell me, how is that not directly related to football? It’s entirely about the goings on at our club. You’re just trying to shut me down again as you have been since the start.

• carltoon

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:38 AM

Please God give us this takeover, and a manager and team we deserve.

• DaveD1000

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:39 AM

I see the bairns are in

• Mund

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:40 AM

Vegan

You and I both know that post wasn’t for me it was for the eyes from everyone else who reads the blog.

You don’t fool me and you know it. I’ve never denied going at you at times it’s clear to see. The reason is because I know what you are and met many like you in my life.

Waiting for the victim reply

• carltoon

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:41 AM

Match was awful, but City we’re never going to let us win. That first half display was just mind blowing, that penalty was do soft no one but the Ref who hates us. Second half if only we had a goal scorer.

• IrishRob

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:41 AM

Nufc4ever @10:18am that’s my line you’re not allowed say 100% on here ffs.

• Mund

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:42 AM

Football related!! Yes but you were continuing a debate from last night and knowing 100% it would continue the arguments.

How many more people have to tell you where you keep going wrong before it sinks in?

What’s the definition of insanity vegan?

• jimiley

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:42 AM

Jiblets
    Is the pay on here better than stacking shelves at Shirebrook.?

• carltoon

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:44 AM

Micky that piece you posted, god it was fantastic,

• ctommo

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:45 AM

KV, Mate, Mund isn’t turning anyone against you. You are doing a fine job of that yourself.

The constant arguing and now repetitive posts about Ashley and his 30m are getting boring.
    Its a shame as if you weren’t on the wind up you would be a really good poster, some of the earlier stuff was decent, now its becoming tiring

• jimiley

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:46 AM

Will and fight were there.
    A wind up comment.
    No engagement in first half. A surrender.
    10 minutes of competitive footy hardly constitutes a match
    It was a stroll in case you have not noticed

• Mund

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:46 AM

Cheers ctommo

• DaveD1000

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:46 AM

Mund
    you are biting again 🙂

• Jib

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:47 AM

Harrisons please pay attention to carltoon
    These tossers are spoiling the blog

• jimiley

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:48 AM

I could get the school under 12s to show fight but it’s no match

• Just a fan

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:48 AM

First fifteen minutes I was praying they didn’t do to us what they did to Watford.9 0.
    Second half a lot better but to be honest I just think Schar is a bit of a loose cannon.
    Can’t blame Bruce for his tactics Rafa would have done the same but the players just kept losing the ball when we had it.
    On a positive note we have done better than in years Brighton anybody.
    And darlowe did ok I’m pleased to say

• IrishRob

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:48 AM

Mund ffs even you’re saying it now! Lol

• Mund

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:49 AM

Dave

You know what it is mate I’m not biting in an actual sense it’s me trying to defend the blog.

To everyone I apologise if I’m doing heads in I really do, it’s just I can’t sit back and say nothing when I know exactly the kind of person he is.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:49 AM

Mund

Uhuh still not responding mate are you. Why is it okay for you to spend all day insulting me but if I post a negative opinion about the way the club is run you tell me I’m “being argumentative and not talking about football”?

Nothing but a hypocrite mate.

Where do you think the money has gone, Mund? Why do other teams around us invest but we don’t? What do you think Ashley’s vision for the club is? Do you think he would risk his profits for a shot at a Europa League place? If Leicester can do it, why can’t we?

• Mund

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:49 AM

Irishrob haha ffs I know wtf happened

• toon22

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:50 AM

JIB

You think Ed should just allow this place to go full on PR
    Or you think not everyone thinks the sun shines out of the turds backside

Remember when you threatened the blogs due to people disagreeing with your blatant PR ?

• IrishRob

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:50 AM

It’s a sign of the apocalypse! Lol

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:51 AM

Harrisons please also note where Jib lied to us all repeatedly and got found out…

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:53 AM

Buses

• IrishRob

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:53 AM

Where is the wife gone btw? I haven’t seen her on here in like a month and a half.