web analytics

Newcastle Defender’s Summary – Today Just Wasn’t Our Night

Federico Fernandez has been one of Newcastle’s best defenders this season, and he was rested for the game last night against Manchester City in the FA Cup quarterfinals.

It was always going to be a tall order for Newcastle to get through this game, and we lost 2-0 in what was too easy a game for the Manchester side.

Goals from Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling in each half were enough to see Manchester City – the holders – get through to the semi-finals, where they will play what currently is a dodgy Arsenal side.

Federico Fernandez (shown above) admitted he was disappointed with both the performance and the result last night, as he had this to say to nufcTV:

“To be honest I’m disappointed, especially in the first half. We stayed in a good shape and tried to do our own game, but with the ball we didn’t find too many passes and we played too many long balls to Andy Carroll.”

“It was much better in the second half, we put on the pressure higher up the pitch with the extra man in midfield.”

“We had a really clear chance with Dwight Gayle to get back in the game, but after the second goal it was difficult for us.”

“It was details which decided the game, but I repeat for us it was much better in the second half.”

“We can compete and put them under more pressure. I’m disappointed, but we fought and tried to do our best.”

“Today it wasn’t our night.”

“To play here with the fans would have been a different story. We missed the atmosphere here, but it is what it is.”

“We need to carry on and finish the season in a better way, and we’ll see next season if the fans can come back here.”

The game can be summed up with two errors.

Fabian Schar, who replaced Federico in Newcastle’s defense, needlessly shoved Gabriel Jesus for an obvious penalty in the first half.

And then in the second half, Dwight Gayle missed a sitter from six yards out having been set up brilliantly by Allan Saint-Maximin, when the score was still 1-0.

It wasn’t our night last night – let’s hope it will be on Wednesday when we are at Bournemouth.

We need a win in that game and then we will be safe in the Premier League.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In FA Cup Quarter-Final Defeat?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:10 AM

Mund

What would be the point of a live stream to settle a disagreement on an anonymous blog? I could put anyone up in my place and so could you and nobody would be any the wiser.

And what do we even need to settle? Anything we can say on a live stream, we can say here.

I have no intention of revealing my identity on a live stream, by the way. I heard about another user getting hounded by the club so I’d rather protect my anonymity, personally. Also, a few on here have threatened me with violence so I’d rather not let those people know my identity.

• DaveD1000

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:10 AM

Rose does seem to be improving in the last couple of games his passing needs some work though

• JohnReese

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:10 AM

On Danny Rose, like a few others I think he had a good game defensively last night. Showed his experience and won a few important (cheap) free kicks to try and ease pressure. The downside, like everyone last night was the struggle when we did eventually get possession.

• lesh

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:10 AM

Jib

When you explained your career history, you mentioned working as a Fitter on a job in Genoa.

Where’d you serve your time to become a fitter? Or could the reality be that you were involved in helping to install some kit in Genoa, labouring?

The difference between being a Fitter and helping on a job is quite marked

• carltoon

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:11 AM

Simon, Duolingo went down last week, it’s back, but seem to have lost touch with The Wife. Can’t see where I am in the league, fumin because I was near the top. Mind I spend most of my time on it. 🙂

• lesh

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:13 AM

Whoops

@30

hybepole = hyperbole

• IrishRob

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:14 AM

Carltoon it’s a bit weird isnt it shes been on almost every day at least a message or two, then nothing for the past months and a half or so. And she started supporting us and following Newcastle a lot in the last year so I cant imagine even if she was busy why she wouldnt be at be on once in a blue moon, but literally nothing.

Dont want to pry or sound nosey but I hope things with Neil havent gone south. Its really none of my business but i cant think what would keep here completely off the blog like she has been the past long time.

They run the blog so if her profile was down or screwed they could fix that in 5 seconds or make a new one even. Weird!!

• Jib

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:14 AM

lesh
    Jun 29, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    you’ve joined the hit Kevin lobby. You’re not alone but ask yourself whether you’re in a position to criticise anyone?
    People in glass houses etc

a) I was one of the first agree with hibbit that something was up with KV
    so I haven’t joined anything
    b) I post more information and news on NUFC in a day , than you do in a year , so
    I’m in a much better position to criticise than you.
    c) I think KV is from a rival blog with the express intention of disrupting

Have you seen the Mag lately , it’s crap , hardly any hits , and Mark Jensen is a vegan

• lesh

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:14 AM

carltoon

You’ll always be at the top, no matter what you do.

🙂

• carltoon

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:14 AM

John Reece, I was pleased when we signed Rose, after all class is permanent, he does look a bit chunky, but getting better every game, couldn’t understand all the hate for him.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:15 AM

Carltoon, your and my “summation” of the game were nearly identical 😉 bloody shame what’s been allowed to happen at our club these last 13 or so years, hopefully not much longer though.

Having watched City and Liverpool recently, I’ve reassessed how far behind we are. I think catching up with Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester & Wolves won’t be too difficult, but I think we are a lot of years behind City and Pool (possibly Chelsea too). You can take almost any 2 players from City at random and they are worth the same as our entire 1st team!!

• IrishRob

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:15 AM

I really need to start proof reading my comments like I used to. I cant English!

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:16 AM

What I seen this morning was Kevin Vegan posting shit about Ashley which a lot of us do all the time. Then Mund, who is unfortunately getting a very nasty obsession with the bloke accuses him of being argumentative which then turns everybody coming on immediately against him. And then Jib having the footin affront to accuse someone of wriggling out of lies after denying he claimed to be a history lecturer when we have, in black and white, him making such claims added to the hundreds of other things he’s claimed to have been or done.
    Howay man!

• Mund

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:16 AM

vegan

why would anyone use someone else?? strange idea that where did that come from???

this is purely to settle your full of shit

for over 30 years i’ve fought my own battles i don’t need anyone to pretend i’m me i’ll stand up for myself

strange you said that….

how about a blog meet up then?

• lesh

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:16 AM

Jib

Be honest (that’s a big ask innit). You’re sitting over your computer all day every day searching for NUFC-related stuff you can post to sustain your desire for attention.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:17 AM

Mund,
    Give it a rest man will you, you’re asking people to ignore him and you’re doing anything but.

• Novocastrian66

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:17 AM

Hibbit; agreed but there’s nowt worth talking about. Therefore in the absence of anything positive to discuss we’re left with repeated discussions about Ashley’s mismanagement of the club.

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM

The Ledge

I agree on Danny Rose. I really haven’t been impressed with him at all so far. If Willems had stayed fit I’d have snapped him up in a heartbeat. As for Rose, I think we could find a better option for ~£10-15m.

• carltoon

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:19 AM

Lesh, ha ha. Irish Rob, I know the last time I could see our Duo lingo. I don’t think she had been on for awhile. It’s a bit worrying, just hope she’s ok.

• lesh

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:19 AM

IrishRob

North Carolina’s had lockdown reimposed and I’m sure we all hope that The Wife and everyone else’s safe.

• Mund

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:20 AM

jail

mate i don’t weigh in when you go on

• Kevin Vegan

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:20 AM

Jail

Nice one mate, good to know somebody’s paying attention. I’m all for trying to move on from this pointless discussion.

• The ledge

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:20 AM

Kevin we definitely could .
    Wouldn’t mind signing both norwich full back .

• The ledge

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:21 AM

bus moved

• JohnReese

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:22 AM

Carltoon,

Agreed, I think it was a good signing. He got pretty much thrown in initially so was clearly lacking match fitness. I think he’s looked better after the restart and I would hope he continues to improve.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:24 AM

Sorry Lesh had to do it again, you’re going to have to stop posting common sense, and go back to some of your claptrap 🙂

• magicmac54

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:51 PM

Ledge, you posted some very good comments last night, are you also from Ireland Ledge? HWTL

• Uncertain Toon/World