web analytics

These Two Magpies Are Desperate To Impress Over The Next Six Matches

Two players who really looked sharp in Wednesday’s 4-1 victory at Bournemouth were two of our January loan signings Nabil Bentaleb and Valentino Lazaro. Bentaleb was handed his first start post-lockdown while Lazaro came off the bench and performed like a man possessed to impress.

It’s been a struggle to get on the pitch for Valentino of late. The Austrian was not handed a start after his excellent performance in the FA Cup win at West Brom. Bruce instead preferring the tenacity and experience of Matt Ritchie at right-wing.

That was also the case in the first two matches when the Premier League returned last month. However, it must have been a massive letdown for the 24-year-old to not have started the previous two games, which Ritchie did not play a part in.

Bruce altered the formation for Manchester City to go with a front three and Miguel Almiron on the right. At Bournemouth, he shifted Allan Saint-Maximin to right-wing and had Joelinton on the left.

Valentino came on as a substitute on Wednesday and looked so determined to make his mark. He did just that with a superb goal and then almost added a second minutes later when he rattled the crossbar.

After the game, he posted this simple statement.

Similarly, Nabil Bentaleb has been on the fringes since the league resumed. When he joined in January, the Algerian was handed six straight starts by Bruce. However, those opportunities dried up after the West Brom win.

Bentaleb didn’t get his seventh start until the Bournemouth match. He made the most of it and put in a masterclass performance in the midfield.

Bentaleb, too, posted a simple message after the game.

Both Nabil and Valentino have given Bruce something to think about before Sunday’s match against West Ham. Since we are safe now, Bruce may be more inclined to give them a run of games.

However, the goal is still to finish the season as high as possible, so it’ll be interesting what team Bruce names on Sunday.

This is what Bruce said about both players’ future prospects as published in the Shields Gazette:

“They only really came to us in January, and, by March, the whole thing had shut, but I was particularly pleased with Nabil the other night.

“I thought that was easily his best game. Physically, he looked a different player to where he was in January when he came to us. All of them have taken stock of what’s required, especially from coming abroad.

“For Lazaro, to come on and have the impact that he did the other night, was good to watch. We’ll see how they go in the next six games, and see where their respective clubs are.

“All of those conversations are ones we need to have and we will have. We all have just been focusing on getting underway, and, let’s be fair, we’ve only been going 12 days. It’s quite ridiculous.

“All of those conversations will be had when the time is right, but, certainly, I was very pleased with those two loan signings in particular.”

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Ham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Legolas

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:18 AM

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:19 AM

New owners please so these players don’t just see us as a stepping stone.

• Northumbrian

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:20 AM

I’d like to see Lazaro bought but still not sure about the other, I haven’t seen much in him up till now.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:22 AM

On a happier note. Tom Hanks remains at liberty and is advising people on the folly of not wearing a mask while shopping.

• Jib

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:22 AM

Harrogate mag
    From previous
    I currently have great tits pecking my fat balls

• Harrogate mag

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:24 AM

Jib….no better feeling..especially on a Saturday morning

• Jib

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:25 AM

Harrogate mag
    😛

• IrishRob

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:28 AM

Great point mund were told they are watched but they really really arent. Kids are sending noods every day on snapchat and if any of ye have kids over 15 or 16 chances are they almost certainly have done it to. It’s gone far to easy for Pedos nowadays.

But in saying that with the advent of the cloud and servers that store information for decades i do fully believe that there wont be a place to hide for anyone in 15 or 20 years time, i have a feeling your internet history will be something they can easily access and scan through with bots in 20 years time and people will be getting arrested out of the blue left right and centre. I really really believe the internet is going to become a trap to to retroactively imprison people for various crimes they may have done in the past.

• Mund

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:34 AM

I hope so rob because on a social media platform right now it’s way to easy. If I was I charge of this country I wouldn’t allow these 3rd party apps to be accessible. Don’t know why this hasn’t been done because our security and the security of our children should be of great importance.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:45 AM

Jiblets, the 85 year old teenager drawing a senip on his desk as we speak.

• Harrogate mag

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:48 AM

Fair play to my lad..if anything not quite right he comes and tells me..though that may change as he gets older

• lochinvar

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:49 AM

Media reports that former Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce reckons it will ‘difficult’ for Premier League to allow the takeover to go ahead due to the ongoing piracy row between Qatar and Saudi Arabia. “It’s very sensitive,” he told the Soccer Fellas Podcast.
    “I’m a regular out on beIN sports and this year I went out just before lockdown in February.” When I got there I said to [presenters] Richard Keys and Andy Gray, ‘where is everybody?’ and the answer was that 350 people had been sacked because of the hacking problem.

Well Sam you were apparently sacked by the FA for some sort of malpractice in breach of your contract as England Manager. If 350 were sacked were they involved in some sort of hacking scam? Maybe you mean they were made redundant due to global recession and the fact that bein lost lucrative broadcasting contracts elsewhere such as F1.

• Munster Mag

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:51 AM

Any chance we can we drop the kids talk, it’s pretty sickening.

• lochinvar

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:54 AM

Not withstanding that Gray, Allardyce and Keys in one studio is an expensive waste of space. Sam just happened to spot 350 empty desks around him – really? That’s one big studio.

Maybe bein could save costs on presenters and keep some staff emoyed. Seems fair.

• Munster Mag

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:54 AM

Fat Sam absolutely loves to stick it to us. Put him and sourness together is a studio, we lose a match, and you have a Sunday afternoon doubly ruined. The unmanageable club with fans who can never be satisfied etc etc. Barf.

• ScoopSouthAfrica

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:59 AM

July the 4th Independence day…. could this be the day we get the freedom from MA? Come on EPL give the bleeding green light and light up the North East.

• #cans

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:04 AM

Not sure what happened last night, when I left we were talking about rum and when I look back this morning it’s all about peados and the ills of social media platforms… who started that happy convo!

• lesh

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:05 AM

Interesting chat this morning but more interesting is the number of posters with inside information.

So much factual information makes me wonder who’s really posting, who the people behind the names really are.

• #cans

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:06 AM

hahaha thats a very good point – maybe some on here are in Epsteins address book and scared of a knock on the door

• lochinvar

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:06 AM

Why is Allardyce paid to be allowed into a studio to comment on anything?

• Harrogate mag

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:06 AM

I’m going for a 2..0 win tomorrow… after consuming large amounts of Bacardi tonight… oh yes

• TheTinman

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:07 AM

Who’s the captain today then jail 😉

• Harrogate mag

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:08 AM

Kidneys will be pickled in the morning lol

• Swlabr

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:14 AM

Lesh @ 18. In the interests of full disclosure, the person behind my name is Stanley Wilson Lawrence Alberforce Browne-Rowlocks.

• #cans

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:16 AM

A priest, a peadophile and a rapist walk into a bar.

He sits down and orders a drink.

….
    My doctor must think I’m a peadophile.
    He keeps putting labels on my tablets telling me to keep away from children.

….
    My girlfriend’s father called me a peadophile just because she’s 22 and I’m 36.
    Completely ruined our 10-year anniversary.

….
    You can say what you want about peadophiles
    …but at least they drive slowly around schools and playgrounds.

• Harrogate mag

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:17 AM

Me mam said I was only born to put them off

• The mighty wyn

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:19 AM

Guys we may be getting into territory here where the Ed will get a warning again.

• Harrogate mag

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM

Sorry guys

• IrishRob

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:21 AM

Harrogate you shouldda told your Ma that jokes on her!

• Just a fan

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:21 AM

I thought I had come on a football blog.
    My mistake.

• TheTinman

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:22 AM

Long live the Ed

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:22 AM

The TinMan,
    I’ll let you know at half eleven. 😀
    Couldn’t believe that utterly pointless Son/Kane combo the other night, cost me a CS and put 11 on the board for you. I’d have been 20 points behind you if it wasn’t for those pesky kids.

• Mund

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:23 AM

Lesh @18 what’s that’s supposed to mean?

• TheTinman

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:23 AM

It was lucky. But I feel it was deserved given the tragedy which was the VAR decision. By the rules yes, but an awful rule!

Also I had the dubravka late goal too!

Good luck

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:23 AM

#cans,
    Howay mate, I thought you were better than that. Can we leave this now please.

• lesh

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:23 AM

SWLABR

Your honesty has been noted.

Arise, SIR Stanley Wilson Lawrence Alberforce Browne-Rowlocks.

• Jib

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:23 AM

Canny day of footy
    12:30 Norwich City vs Brighton & Hove Albion
    15:00 Leicester City vs Crystal Palace
    15:00 Manchester United vs AFC Bournemouth
    17:30 Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Arsenal
    20:00 Chelsea vs Watford

• The mighty wyn

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:24 AM

We could do with Bournemouth getting stuffed by manure today and villa by the bindippers tomorrow = safe officially.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:24 AM

The Tinman,
    Aye, I suppose it evened out, might have been a different game as well if that had of gone in.

• lesh

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:25 AM

Mund

@33

It means whatever you want it to mean.

😉